Page 188 of 191 FirstFirst ... 88 138 178 186 187 188 189 190 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,640 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Best "celebrity" band is definitely Ryan Gosling's Dead Man's Bones.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Ok..... ok..... I'm seriously about to lose my mind.

This is now the 6th day in a row I've woken up with You Can Call Me Al stuck in my head... just groggily waking and rampaging through my skull are the lyrics "you can be my bodyguard I can be your long lost pal!" and "with some roly-poly bat-faced girl" and "I need another shot at redemption, where's my FUCKING BULLSHIT FUCK YOU PAUL SIMON I FUCKING HATE YOU

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poinoup View Post
    Oh yeah, it was literally the first celeb band that came to my head. How about 30 Odd Foot of Grunts instead?
    Or Thirty Seconds to Mars.

Lol, my bad @Jinsai

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Controversial Music Opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Ok..... ok..... I'm seriously about to lose my mind.

This is now the 6th day in a row I've woken up with You Can Call Me Al stuck in my head... just groggily waking and rampaging through my skull are the lyrics "you can be my bodyguard I can be your long lost pal!" and "with some roly-poly bat-faced girl" and "I need another shot at redemption, where's my FUCKING BULLSHIT FUCK YOU PAUL SIMON I FUCKING HATE YOU
    maybe you secretly like it and it’s now your theme song.

eta: i think “call me al” is better than most of the songs in toddler shows. there’s nothing like waking up in the middle of the night, trying to go back to sleep and having the paw patrol theme stuck in your head. even worse was mickey mouse clubhouse. oh toodles lived in my brain for at least two years. the only good theme song was miles from tomorrowland but my kids didn’t really get into that show. beat bugs was cool for a minute but i was never a big beatles fan. i did really enjoy watching my kids figure out which beatles songs they liked and didn’t like.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    TMBG did a version of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme, it's on one of their kid CDs as a bonus track.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    TMBG did a version of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme, it's on one of their kid CDs as a bonus track.
    they did the song for the show too. along with the hot dog song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    they did the song for the show too. along with the hot dog song.

Oh I wasn't sure which version you were watching or how old that theme song is.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Oh I wasn't sure which version you were watching or how old that theme song is.
    it’s actually been so long since i’ve heard it, i might be able to appreciate their craftsmanship on it again.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    maybe you secretly like it and it’s now your theme song.

eta: i think “call me al” is better than most of the songs in toddler shows. there’s nothing like waking up in the middle of the night, trying to go back to sleep and having the paw patrol theme stuck in your head. even worse was mickey mouse clubhouse. oh toodles lived in my brain for at least two years. the only good theme song was miles from tomorrowland but my kids didn’t really get into that show. beat bugs was cool for a minute but i was never a big beatles fan. i did really enjoy watching my kids figure out which beatles songs they liked and didn’t like.
    It's just that the words are so mindless but seem to be implying something? I feel like if I could just figure out what the hell he means when he says "I could call you Betty" is all about, but I don't think that's going to happen... I honestly feel like if I could just get away from the mindlessness there...

EDIT: Oh my god... I just looked it up, and it's even worse than anything I could have imagined...

The famously funny yet enigmatic chorus, Simon said, came from a funny memory of going to a party at the New York apartment of Pierre Boulez, the conductor-composer. Simon and his first wife Peggy arrived, meeting their host at the door, who evidently had no clue who they were. Boulez introduced them to his guests as “Al and Betty.”

It was the first single from Graceland, and became a hit, launched by the famous music video with Chevy Chase.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-05-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Slaughter weren't that bad:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tool's song Bottom is musically great, and would be a fantastic track on the album if... Henry Rollins didn't have to butt in with some nonsensical spoken word piece that literally sounds like it came out of an angsty high schooler's notebook. Which is admittedly what many of the lyrics on that album already sound like, but his bit is particularly bad.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    Tool's song Bottom is musically great, and would be a fantastic track on the album if... Henry Rollins didn't have to butt in with some nonsensical spoken word piece that literally sounds like it came out of an angsty high schooler's notebook. Which is admittedly what many of the lyrics on that album already sound like, but his bit is particularly bad.
    I actually love Henry's spoken word and i think it adds a lot to the song.

But i can't stand "disgustipated"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Henry's part always feels to me like it's killed all the momentum the song's built up to that point. And, as I said, I don't think his words/lyrics are particularly good. Pretty much every artist I enjoy has a few shit lyrics, but bad lyrics can be papered over by a good enough vocalist singing the words with the right conviction. That... doesn't really apply with a spoken word piece. All you're really left with are the words. And Henry Rollins piece on Bottom is... not great.

I would largely agree with you that Disgusipated is bad, though. But I figure it's meant to be a joke track, so I cut it a little slack. But every time I listen to the album I switch it off after Flood.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Disgustipated is good for like 4-5 minutes.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life....

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life....
    This is necessary?…

sorry/not sorry :P

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    well now I'm listening to Undertow so I hope you're all happy.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    You can either love or hate Henry Rollins, I feel like there is no in between.

I really hate the Spoken Word stuff.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post

I'll be a contrarian and say I like him but am not a super fan.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I like some of his spoken word - when it's funny and not 'smart' - and his books are hit or miss. I read Do I Come Here Often? and it's really s/bad.

Hank, I love you, but this book isn't a good look. You out-hipstered the god damn hipsters you hate. You out-meatheaded the meatheads you hate. The only parts of this book that were good were the ones where you weren't talking shit about how weak everyone who isn't you is. Even then I felt like that may have been on accident or because I had heard your CD or podcast episode where you talked about said story and so I was able to add that second side to the story.

Good fucking job.
    his podcast is alright when they're just telling stories, otherwise it sounds like something a real housewives person would come up with. it's really fucking odd.

Think Tank was my introduction to him so I hold all other releases up to that standard. I listened to it recently with my son and it's still funny and he tells some good stories. the ones where he comes off as an asshole are funny asshole, unlike the book where he's an insufferable asshole.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm generally indifferent towards him. I just called out his part on the Tool stuff because he spoils what I would otherwise consider a good song.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This new Lorde song is a bit boring

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Lorde has always been pretty boring, so no surprise there.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Our friendship was going too good for awhile.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Our friendship was going too good for awhile.

How do you feel about Megadave?

I just recently told a buddy I'm so deprived of concerts at this point, I'm willing to attend a Megadeth show with him....without getting paid 500k or getting beaten unconscious, strangled and abducted first. He told me he'll hold me to it, yay

While I'm already here :
    Meatloaf is a pathetic, fat whiny fuck and GnR are sooooo overrated.
    Oh, and I have no idea why we even have a LB thread on here. You all just want to give me eye cancer, huh?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

How do you feel about Megadave?
    I like them alright. As far as the Big 4 go, they're leagues better than Metallica. They have a few handfuls of songs that are great like Holy Wars...The Punishment Due. I'm not a ride or die for Megadeth but I don't actively despise them either.

Slayer > Anthrax > Megadeth > Metallica

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So I gave Sinner Get Ready a spin and boy oh boy, after numerous years of trying and listening to Caligula multiple times I just don’t care or get the hype appeal for Lingua Ignota whatsoever. Her music is the equivalent of art films put to audio - pretentious, meandering and lacking any cohesive thought that leads to a solid destination outside of the main theme. Most of her lyrics read like bad poetry at a small coffee shop. It’s a real shame as I dig her look, imagery and album artwork. Too bad the music isn’t there for me. With no disrespect she comes across as competent modern day Yoko Ono.

Can’t win them all.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Another boring Lorde song, these don’t make me feel good at all

I think she might find she’s misread the mood of the world (well the Western world anyway) being all smug about logging off from social media and ‘chilling’. Some people living alone in Lockdown might find social media a lifeline (and I hate social media as much as anyone but I still use it).

actually some people have compared the visuals of the videos to the updated Wicker Man film, Midsommer
    Last edited by WorzelG; 08-17-2021 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    So I gave Sinner Get Ready a spin and boy oh boy, after numerous years of trying and listening to Caligula multiple times I just don’t care or get the hype appeal for Lingua Ignota whatsoever. Her music is the equivalent of art films put to audio - pretentious, meandering and lacking any cohesive thought that leads to a solid destination outside of the main theme. Most of her lyrics read like bad poetry at a small coffee shop. It’s a real shame as I dig her look, imagery and album artwork. Too bad the music isn’t there for me. With no disrespect she comes across as competent modern day Yoko Ono.

Can’t win them all.
    never heard of anything in your post but then this pops up in my twit feed from someone I follow

which is wild to me because I also just started listening to Swans and that's...that's a wild comparison to pull.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder if he'll add more original music with his sick piano playing skills. I did not like La La Land or most of the musical numbers but the score was gorgeous!