Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vav View Post
    imagine what one could do if one had, say, the original painting.
    That’s a lovely teaser!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    imagine what one could do if one had, say, the original painting.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    https://www.timeless-shop.com/produc...-lunaredition/

Did anyone else manage to grab one of these? I missed the first sale, then missed another mini-sale, and was on the Coil FB group earlier today when this third wave went up, and I jumped on it. $260 later, I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight, but this will go great with CITB on my shelf, and is something to treasure forever. Apparently, this book is lovingly curated and full of juicy Coil ephemera..

There's a much cheaper standard edition available for considerably less, but the diehards are saying this Lunar Edition is the one to spring for..

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    It seems like a really nicely made book full of stuff I'm just not that into. I haven't really seen many photos of what's inside, mind you, but I'm not really of the cult of Jhonn and Sleazy, you know? I'm not really craving behind-the-scenes stuff, or wanting to know about every little scribble. And despite Sleazy being part of Hipgnosis, much of the album art for Coil has struck me as kind of slapdash. But that's just me. If you're really into the ephemera, this looks like an exceptional presentation of that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    despite Sleazy being part of Hipgnosis, much of the album art for Coil has struck me as kind of slapdash
    How could you say that!!!

Now I think about it perhaps this was ahead of its time; Kanye went with a similar idea for Yeezus after all.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    It seems like a really nicely made book full of stuff I'm just not that into. I haven't really seen many photos of what's inside, mind you, but I'm not really of the cult of Jhonn and Sleazy, you know? I'm not really craving behind-the-scenes stuff, or wanting to know about every little scribble. And despite Sleazy being part of Hipgnosis, much of the album art for Coil has struck me as kind of slapdash. But that's just me. If you're really into the ephemera, this looks like an exceptional presentation of that.
    Oh man, which Coil album art do you feel that way about? Save for The Ape of Naples, I find most of their album art interesting and appropriately mysterious..

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    The one I dislike the most is Black Light District, because they had to ruin that beautiful art with a stock Photoshop filter. Some of their tour visuals were also kind of ugly, especially those that looked like a broken Flight Simulator demo.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    The one I dislike the most is Black Light District, because they had to ruin that beautiful art with a stock Photoshop filter. Some of their tour visuals were also kind of ugly, especially those that looked like a broken Flight Simulator demo.
    I'm just going to say it out loud - the artwork for Musick to play in the Dark is cheesy as hell.

Horse Rotorvator's art never resonated with me. Black Light District's bad photoshop filters - seconded, wizfan. What is with the cowboy font on Astral Disaster?

I can put all that aside for Love's Secret Domain though. Incredible artwork, appropriate typeface. Honorable mention for the art associated with the Unreleased Themes from Hellraiser.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I agree a lot of the artwork leaves me... wanting. The Remote Viewer goats, the cheap word art text around Queens of the Circulating Library, the bizarre cartoons on Wrong Eye / Scope, the list is endless. Seems whatever mysterious and perverse direction Sleazy might have wanted got interrogated by Balance's sense of humor — or was it the other way around?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I agree a lot of the artwork leaves me... wanting. The Remote Viewer goats, the cheap word art text around Queens of the Circulating Library, the bizarre cartoons on Wrong Eye / Scope, the list is endless. Seems whatever mysterious and perverse direction Sleazy might have wanted got interrogated by Balance's sense of humor — or was it the other way around?
    idunno but i've always loved The Ape Of Naples & Black Antlers. the two feel like they go together so well. but yeah most of the artwork is not great.

i think the live albums using photos of their stage costumes was a really good idea, though. it's extremely intriguing and a good representation of the contents therein.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    lol the BLD album cover always reminds of that cover for Brap. Vol. 3 & 4 by Skinny Puppy. I can definitely see where people would find a lot of their album covers cheesy or uninspiring. Thankfully, the music(k) on the other side of covers like MTPITD, Astral Disaster, Ape of Naples, BLD, LSD and Remote Viewer towers over them in terms of quality..

If Trent can go with a lowercase N in flames or a coil of rope for an album cover, and if Deftones can preface albums like S/T, Diamond Eyes and Ohms with shitty uninspired album covers, I’m willing to give the genius of Coil a pass in terms of..

One Coil album I will defend is Horse Rotorvator. I own an OG copy on vinyl and I just stare at that cover of the bandstand in Regent’s Park and it absorbs me whenever I play it..

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I like the MTPITD cover(s). I know they’re basically amateur renders, but they remind me of playing around with really low power render software like Vista on the Amiga in the early 90s, so they’re pressing some unintended nostalgia buttons for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    One Coil album I will defend is Horse Rotorvator. I own an OG copy on vinyl and I just stare at that cover of the bandstand in Regent’s Park and it absorbs me whenever I play it..
    Me too! It’s the only OG Coil vinyl I own.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I couldn't resist a pre-order for LSD (blue version, as I'm a little bored of splatters these days), and the book (just the normal edition at least!) which looks lovely and I'm looking forward to receiving hopefully later this month.

Since the Wax Trax news broke I've been tempted to cancel my existing pre-order, but like the Coil-obsessive idiot I am I'll probably just get it AS WELL. At least then I can decide for myself which sounds better!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Yeah, yeah, I know, Danny Hyde cashgrab, whatever. I wanted to have this just because Wir Click Wir holds a special place in my heart and I wanted to have it on wax, even if it's a Danny remix. I bought it from my friend who runs the greatest record store in Thessaloniki. I've also bought Backwards, three metal Coil pins and two records with Coil appearances (an Aural Rage LP and a COH single) from him, but missed out on Black Light District and Astral Disaster... oh, well. Seems like I'm competing with another die-hard Coil fan in Thessaloniki, hahaha. They had actually played here in 2002 (as documented in Colour Sound Oblivion), but I was a kid back then

EDIT: In case you're wondering, this is the other record I bought.
    Last edited by wizfan; 01-27-2021 at 04:48 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    ^Whats the story behind this "A Prison..." release? Fist time I see it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    ^Whats the story behind this "A Prison..." release? Fist time I see it.
    Two Backwards songs, Heaven's Blade and Wir Click Wir, remixed by Danny for a fast buck.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I have that "A Prison.." thing on CD. If you like those two tracks, it's worth picking up, I suppose. A guy heavily affiliated with Coil remixing two Backwards-era tracks, you could do a lot worse. No version of HB will ever again come close to the one on Backwards, and we have Danny to thank for that, so..

If you follow the Coil FB group and read between the lines, it's pretty obvious Danny's ex-wife is draining his finances like a vampyre, which is the reason for all these fast-buck releases and his endless eBay auctions of Coil and Coil-affiliated goods..

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    If you follow the Coil FB group and read between the lines, it's pretty obvious Danny's ex-wife is draining his finances like a vampyre, which is the reason for all these fast-buck releases and his endless eBay auctions of Coil and Coil-affiliated goods..
    I'm going to ask that maybe you keep personal matters out of it. Characterizing an ex-wife as a blood-sucker is a choice, when the reason ex-wives are entitled to cash usually has to do with child support, and all the sudden an offhand negative comment turns into a commentary on parental responsibility and I don't think we need to go down this route in this thread.

Just as I prefer we not denigrate other people's former lovers, I just as well hesitate to have us casting aspersions on Danny with 'cash grab' and 'quick buck' type stuff.

Let's leave that stuff between the lines, leave the cattiness over releases to the Facebook group. It's kind of exhausting.

Just cuz it's out there doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I'm sorry if I came across as offensive towards Danny. I haven't visited the Coil FB group in ages and had no idea he's been dealing with personal struggles.

On a separate note, my friend also has the Sara Dale's Sessions vinyl, but, once I saw that it's by Infinite Fog, I didn't buy it. Was that a wise decision on my part?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    It was pretty surprising to wake up this morning to a greedbag email. whoever is running state51 these days was clearing out a warehouse and found a few things, all proceeds going to the terrance higgins trust.

https://threshold.greedbag.com/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    It was pretty surprising to wake up this morning to a greedbag email. whoever is running state51 these days was clearing out a warehouse and found a few things, all proceeds going to the terrance higgins trust.

https://threshold.greedbag.com/
    yeah, ditto. thankfully i already own the stuff i really, want, though i wish i hadn't slacked and had been quick enough to grab an absinthe CD.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I'm sorry if I came across as offensive towards Danny. I haven't visited the Coil FB group in ages and had no idea he's been dealing with personal struggles.

On a separate note, my friend also has the Sara Dale's Sessions vinyl, but, once I saw that it's by Infinite Fog, I didn't buy it. Was that a wise decision on my part?
    Doubtful anyone was offended. Like I said, Danny talks pretty freely about this stuff in the FB group; he needs to make a living and his attachment to Coil is a great way of doing so..

It kind of goes hand-in-hand with the whole Infinite Fog is bad bad bad debate. There are Coil purists who wouldn't touch a release of theirs even if it contained an entirely unheard Coil album from their vaults. Others (like me) view the band as a lifeforce quite unlike anything before or since, and just want anything Coil we can get our hands on..

I have Sara Dale's on CD and vinyl and it sounds fine to me. Quite nice, with a generous amount of music to it. Some of which we already got with the Threshold Archive releases and some more rare and hard to track down. The IF release of Love's Secret Domain is also going to have some rare stuff on its bonus disc. Hopefully the Wax Trax version does too, because I plan on buying both. I disagree with Levi in that just because it's out there doesn't mean you have to buy it; I have pretty much everything and will keep buying more as it presents itself. I certainly don't want to buy it later when the prices skyrocket, as they often do with Coil material..

Are the IF releases duplicitous? Perhaps. Coil is music that's meant to be heard and felt and shared by the fortunate few who know what they are and where they can take you. The more of their music in this world the better..

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Hey, you! Wanna make a tribute to Coil's ANS? Well, now you can! https://www.warmplace.ru/soft/ans/

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Did you hear that? It's the minds of everyone in Infinite Fog exploding.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I ordered the pee colored edition - sans shirt. I think the Chaostrophy edition is going to be fantastic but I think there are Coil fans out there who will appreciate it more than me

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Nice! Went for the 2LP on black vinyl - can't say I'm keen on the amber. The deluxe deluxe looks outstanding, but they're not shipping it here, so thankfully it's not an option.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    No unreleased bonus content for the Wax Trax reissue. Glad I jumped on the IF package when I did..

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i accidentally ordered the amber version before i saw the catastrophy edition (which i then ordered) so i'm trying to cancel my order for the amber one haha. goodbye, $200 ┐(´ー`)┌

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm more excited about the Tainted Love single. You bet i bought one of those. No hesitation.