Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Autechre

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    It's essentially Quaristice, if it hadn't been edited way down. The NTS Sessions have the "movement" temperament of AE_LIVE and elseq 1-5, while still going down every "alternate" route they could. They started really exploring this free form style during Quaristice, though.
    Yeah this kind of explains it for me. Quaristice is one of my least favorite AE records. It's an amazing technical feat to be able to jam the way they do with electronic instruments (especially in 2008) but it doesn't work for me without editing, and even with editing is seems less engaging. I might just like the sound design on elseq better, because I'm sure that's the same thing. But also much shorter and in smaller releases.

It's odd cause as far as I know Confield is partially generative. I don't get why it has such a different quality to it. It almost sounds sequenced. Doesn't come across as jammy.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Yeah this kind of explains it for me. Quaristice is one of my least favorite AE records. It's an amazing technical feat to be able to jam the way they do with electronic instruments (especially in 2008) but it doesn't work for me without editing, and even with editing is seems less engaging. I might just like the sound design on elseq better, because I'm sure that's the same thing. But also much shorter and in smaller releases.
    The "popular" opinion is that elseq stands for Edited Live Sequence(s). The "live" more than likely refers to them being "live in the studio", jamming, however you'd prefer to word it. I like Quaristice/Versions/Quadrange, but I agree, elseq 1-5 is miles ahead.

I personally like this Autechre that feels like it has no boundaries.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I really liked most of NTS 1-3. NTS4 has one incredibly brilliant track on it, column thirteen, a couple other okay tracks, and the rest is completely disposable to me (especially the hour long thing). I've been listening to a ton of ambient Brian Eno, Gas, and NASA Voyager Recordings lately, and almost none of this comes anywhere close. It is, by far, the weakest of the four sessions.

I also plan to make a playlist of the absolute best from each session. I wish it was all on Spotify for this reason, but it'll still be fun to have only my very favorite tracks.
    Last edited by Magtig; 04-27-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I didn't know that people disliked Quaristice, I thought it was great. I still need to dive into these new sessions though a bit more...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    I really liked most of NTS 1-3. NTS4 has one incredibly brilliant track on it, column thirteen, a couple other okay tracks, and the rest is completely disposable to me (especially the hour long thing). I've been listening to a ton of ambient Brian Eno, Gas, and NASA Voyager Recordings lately, and almost none of this comes anywhere close. It is, by far, the weakest of the four sessions.

I also plan to make a playlist of the absolute best from each session. I wish it was all on Spotify for this reason, but it'll still be fun to have only my very favorite tracks.
    Funnily enough, NTS 4 is the one getting the most playtime from me! The first track is almost a continuation of 3, and then the remaining tracks all feel like an extended epilogue to me. I'm not sure what it is that grabs me so much, but I keep coming back to this comparison in my head of the last 30 minutes of the movie Annihilation. This sounds like that sounded, and it's freakish and alien and beautiful and uncanny to me.

But I completely get how some people may not dig it. I'm still having trouble getting into any ​of the elseq releases, myself.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clownboat View Post
    Funnily enough, NTS 4 is the one getting the most playtime from me! The first track is almost a continuation of 3, and then the remaining tracks all feel like an extended epilogue to me. I'm not sure what it is that grabs me so much, but I keep coming back to this comparison in my head of the last 30 minutes of the movie Annihilation. This sounds like that sounded, and it's freakish and alien and beautiful and uncanny to me.
    "all end" is the full, extended outro for "bladelores" from Exai. I'm still trying to find a good place to splice them together.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Double post because everyone should be talking about Autechre...

Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    It's odd cause as far as I know Confield is partially generative. I don't get why it has such a different quality to it. It almost sounds sequenced. Doesn't come across as jammy.
    I didn't realize they had compiled all of this on the wiki page:

Like EP7 before it and their 2003 release Draft 7.30, Booth and Brown make use of generative sequences on Confield. However, in an interview following the release of Draft 7:30, Booth explained that although the beats they create using generative sequences may seem completely random to some, he and Brown exercised tight control over the limits and rules of what the beats could do.

"[On Confield] you have something that some people would call random, but I would say is quantifiable," Booth said.

"It seems that for a lot of people, if they hear something that doesn't sound regular, they assume it's random. If live musicians were playing it, they'd probably call it jazz or something. But the fact that it's coming out of a computer, as they perceive it, somehow seems to make it different. For me it's just messing around with a lot of analogue sequencers and drum machines. It's like saying, 'I want this to go from this beat to that beat over this amount of time, with this curve, which is shaped according to this equation."
    I'm surprised with the mixed reactions across the different sessions of NTS, but I've come to realize I'm a much bigger fanboy than I originally thought.

For me, it's not that Brian Eno, or such-and-such, do a style of music better; it's that Autechre are willing to dip into anything electronic (like every great electronic "pioneer" before them). And, they seem more and more willing to shift or all together remove their boundaries: constant evolution.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I started digging into the 24bit download versions of the NTS Sessions this week. Can't wait to have the physical versions, now!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I don't know why, but I really kind of skimmed over Elseq when it came out. It just didn't grab me, and I think it was mostly because the abridged album they put on the streaming services. Lately I've been digging into all the other downloaded parts of that album. Motherfucker! How the hell did I pass this up like that?! I found myself making the Elseq playlist before the NTS sessions playlist. When I crank it up on studio monitors + subwoofer... man, SO GOOD.
    Last edited by Magtig; 06-30-2018 at 03:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to bump this with no new information or opinions, but i had a question regarding a music video of theirs, which if memory serves correctly, was fan made. I could be wrong about that though...

I don't remember the title or era, and fuzzy on the actual video itself, but it was really crisp digital animation of like, metal... rods (?) or something like silvery pins popping in and out perfectly to the insane beat of the track. Does this sound familiar to anybody? I could have sworn I discovered it from ETS, but after going through this thread I'm thinking maybe it was posted on the old board. I've searched and searched YouTube, to no avail. Does this ring a bell to anyone? Someone was asking me about them and wanted a good intro track and I remembered the video as it was very accessible for someone unfamiliar with their music... not to mention visually stunning... and tried finding it, with no luck.

Does anyone recall my vague (sorry) description of said video?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey_mcpot View Post
    Sorry to bump this with no new information or opinions, but i had a question regarding a music video of theirs, which if memory serves correctly, was fan made. I could be wrong about that though...

I don't remember the title or era, and fuzzy on the actual video itself, but it was really crisp digital animation of like, metal... rods (?) or something like silvery pins popping in and out perfectly to the insane beat of the track. Does this sound familiar to anybody? I could have sworn I discovered it from ETS, but after going through this thread I'm thinking maybe it was posted on the old board. I've searched and searched YouTube, to no avail. Does this ring a bell to anyone? Someone was asking me about them and wanted a good intro track and I remembered the video as it was very accessible for someone unfamiliar with their music... not to mention visually stunning... and tried finding it, with no luck.

Does anyone recall my vague (sorry) description of said video?
    If this is the one you mean, it is indeed an official video directed by Alex Rutterford. I have it on a CD+DVD set, the YouTube compression doesn't really do it justice, but take a look at the highest resolution your bandwidth can handle:

It's an absolutely landmark work in the field of motion graphics direction. Hard to believe that it's 16 years old now! Four minutes of utter glory.
    Last edited by botley; 07-21-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Ah, that feeling when you're listening to some Autechre and the song ends and you don't notice for a bit because you think the ambient mechanical noise happening from some construction nearby is part of the song.

Finally got around to starting on NTS Sessions today and I've found it to be quite enjoyable so far. As always, I'm never quite sure if I'm having my leg pulled or not, but there's definitely some awesome stuff in there. This one'll take awhile to sink in, though I suppose that's a bit of a redundant statement given the length.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    19 shows from the AE_NA 2015 tour available digitally! Glad they decided to release these recordings. 24-bit bundle is only $50.50 for 28 (!) releases.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    19 shows from the AE_NA 2015 tour available digitally! Glad they decided to release these recordings. 24-bit bundle is only $50.50 for 28 (!) releases.
    I was at the New York show they added! It was at the Brooklyn Masonic Temple in Brooklyn, NY. Awesome to have my show!

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    $50 for 28 hours of top-quality music is an insane bargain... having this makes me only slightly less sad to have missed the Toronto show! It sounds incredible.

They're all on streaming sites, too, so you can just put them all on a playlist and loop it... everywhere. I recommend you do that, in fact.
    Last edited by botley; 02-02-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This whole past weekend saw NTS helping Warp Records celebrate their 30th anniversary. Autechre did a two parter, 89-93, and it looks like they made their sets available for FREE through their Bleepstore. If you scroll all of the way to the bottom, you will find this link to a WAV copy...

https://autechre.wetransfer.com/down...BMR_ZvzCBPJEOo

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    AE_LIVE 2016/2018 (7 shows):

https://autechre.bleepstores.com/

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    New album in October!

https://bleep.com/release/202853-autechre-sign

Interesting to see a return to a more traditional album format.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    New album in October!

Looks like the CD packaging is similar to Exai.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    New album in October!

I'm always down for a new Autechre album. Sonically, they've always sounded great and although a bit of a deviation from what I traditionally listen to, i can certainly appreciate their sounds and texture.
    Also, their album atheistic/design are straight up my alley. I love the minimalistic/modern direction they always have going on.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    yessss... new Autechre is exactly what I need right now. And yeah, that cover art is great.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    yessss... new Autechre is exactly what I need right now. And yeah, that cover art is great.
    Reminds me too much of Orbital's Wonky era artwork.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Reminds me too much of Orbital's Wonky era artwork.
    It sort of looks like the bubbles from onesix combined:

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Going back through some old archives; is this all of the releases that are available in 24bit?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Going back through some old archives; is this all of the releases that are available in 24bit?

That’s it as far as I know. Would’ve been good to get 1991-2002 in 24 bit as well but that maxed at 16.

Also, quaristice, quadrange, oversteps, and elseq had track by track artwork. The pre-elseq albums these were lost along the way, but someone on r/autechre recreated them as png’s.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    The pre-elseq albums these were lost along the way, but someone on r/autechre recreated them as png’s.

Because they weren't meant to last?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    That’s it as far as I know. Would’ve been good to get 1991-2002 in 24 bit as well but that maxed at 16.

Also, quaristice, quadrange, oversteps, and elseq had track by track artwork. The pre-elseq albums these were lost along the way, but someone on r/autechre recreated them as png’s.
    I have the original embedded artwork that was present with the Warp/Bleep MP3 distributions. The Quaristice (not Quadrange) ones were the hardest to find; I literally went down the list on SoulSeek and downloaded copies until I found one with the artwork.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I have the original embedded artwork that was present with the Warp/Bleep MP3 distributions. The Quaristice (not Quadrange) ones were the hardest to find; I literally went down the list on SoulSeek and downloaded copies until I found one with the artwork.
    Many of us know the struggle. Been there before brotha.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Here’s a fan made upgrade of the quaristice art: https://imgur.com/a/7BJ4O/all