Page 40 of 122 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    you know...he may intentionally try to get us into a war
    Yes. Wartime is notoriously great for chances of reelection. That's 100% why he keeps using war-like language to refer to the shitshow right now.

It's why he keeps talking about, but never using the Defense Production Act.

WE'RE AT WAR

WE WILL DEFEAT THE ENEMY

Even literally referring to himself was a wartime president.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post

It's why he keeps talking about, but never using the Defense Production Act.
    Well, now he's forcing GM to construct ventilators I think? It's hard to keep up.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    GM was already doing that on their own. That was just for show.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Well, now he's forcing GM to construct ventilators I think? It's hard to keep up.
    The Defense Production Act is often misunderstood by the media, and the public. It's simply a way for the federal government to force businesses into producing goods which are necessary for national security. If businesses are already doing everything they can to manufacture the necessary goods, then using the Defense Production Act to compel them to do what they are already doing is not only pointless, it is likely to create delays in the production of the necessary goods by adding a bunch of red tape to the process!

edited to remove excess gas
    Last edited by zero; 04-01-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    my gf lives here. I'm 5 mins away from her. the headline: Jersey City alone has more coronavirus cases than 23 U.S. states
    https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...es/5096555002/

shit's bad.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ OMG

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I read through the linked article again, and it seems to support the headline. What am I missing?
    The headline implies that there are people who have it and are totally asymptomatic (zero symptoms) and are carriers and will never get any symptoms (like latent TB). I'm not sure that the Iceland study has enough data to be able to know that, yet. You'd have to continue to track those asymptomatic people for several weeks to see if they developed symptoms in the future. There were cases of people who had very mild-to-little symptoms, those went away, then weeks passed and a second wave of symptoms came back that were way worse.

Here's another article (in Buzzfeed, gah): https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonard...esting-iceland

I think there are more pieces of the puzzle that will be uncovered. I've read some interesting online studies, pretty heavy scholarly stuff, about some possible links to genetics in whether or not you live or die. This sole link to "underlying conditions" is being debunked in many cases.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-01-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    GM was already doing that on their own. That was just for show.
    He fucking hates GM. Because of Lordstown (he was bragging about all the JOBS he was going to get GM to provide, then GM closed the plant.)

The idiot was saying he wants GM to use the Lordstown plant to make ventilators, except GM sold that plant.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-01-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The headline implies that there are people who have it and are totally asymptomatic (zero symptoms) and are carriers and will never get any symptoms ...
    I guess I still don't understand. Sorry if I am being dense, it's not intentional! The buzzfeed article you linked includes this quote:

In the small northern Italian town of Vo, one of the communities where the outbreak first emerged, the entire population of 3,300 people was tested — 3% of residents tested positive, and of these, the majority had no symptoms, ...

There are several additional references in the article to suggest that the virus is spreading through asymptomatic carriers. And numerous other sources have stated that not all persons who are infected with the coronaviruis will exhibit noticeable symptoms. They will never even know they had the disease.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I guess I still don't understand. Sorry if I am being dense, it's not intentional! The buzzfeed article you linked includes this quote:

In the small northern Italian town of Vo, one of the communities where the outbreak first emerged, the entire population of 3,300 people was tested — 3% of residents tested positive, and of these, the majority had no symptoms, ...

Well, right, they have no symptoms at the time they are tested. This is why the CDC didn't want to bother testing asymptomatic people; because the cold and flu and HSV and HIV and HPV and lots of other viruses work the same way: you have no symptoms at the time of the test, but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't eventually have symptoms. So, you practice safe sex or safe distances etc. in order to prevent the spread of the virus, and "assume" that you might have it. Asymptomatic carriers carry all kinds of viruses, but that doesn't mean they will remain asymptomatic.

Here, look at this link from the CDC regarding the common flu. This stuff is true even of the common flu.

This appears to be no different than any other flu in that regard. The CDC knows this. But this "50% of people who get it are asymptomatic" is based only on numbers from Iceland, AND they have to follow up on those cases to see if they REMAIN asymptomatic, and there are other variables involved, here, like the ones regarding genetics and how your own body will handle it, etc. This virus is only different from other influenzas in that (a) it's particularly contagious, and (b) it CAN be particularly deadly, but only to certain people. It's the "certain people" that’s the variable. Diseases are ALWAYS more deadly to the elderly, because they have compromised immune systems. But, after that, there seems to be some kind of weird crap shoot that isn't fitting a pattern.

Mind you, I'm with you, I'm wearing a friggin' mask when I go shopping, etc., and there's been a bunch of cases of C-19 around me so I'm almost to the point of wearing a HazMat suit in my house, LOL.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-01-2020 at 11:42 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    ^^ OMG

I think there are more pieces of the puzzle that will be uncovered. I've read some interesting online studies, pretty heavy scholarly stuff, about some possible links to genetics in whether or not you live or die. This sole link to "underlying conditions" is being debunked in many cases.
    Oh? Which ones....I'm curious to read. (I'm well versed in reading the 'heavy scholarly stuff.')

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegro; 04-01-2020 at 11:13 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Well, right, they have no symptoms at the time they are tested.
    Although some asymptomatic individuals will eventually become symptomatic, many will never develop symptoms of any significance. Silent carriers. That's why this virus is so dangerous. Evidence thus far indicates that this aspect of the pandemic must be dealt with to limit spread.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I think this is why Asian countries have dealt with this rather well: wearing masks is quite normal there. It's a part of every day life, and no one is ostracized for wearing a mask. In western culture - it isn't normalized, and people have been reticent to make it normal for the sake of 'not making people feel uncomfortable.' But then again, China learned from SARS, we didn't have to. I think if we're to overcome this, we need a paradigm shift to wearing face masks all the time....for...a while (maybe a solid year).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I know 4 people that lost people the past few days.

for those states/areas with low numbers right now, PLEASE take this serious. two weeks ago, there was less than 10 cases of it.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    My partner's rabbi just died today on his birthday.

I have nothing to compare a rabbi to, so I'm not exactly sure what that means. But sounds like he was a big support during my partner's divorce and ultimately the rabbi's advocacy is why he ended up with joint custody of his kids.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Bill Gates knows about viruses:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-dCPcI...d=tomtf28kvar9

2015 Ted Talk:
    Last edited by allegro; 04-01-2020 at 11:24 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Although some asymptomatic individuals will eventually become symptomatic, many will never develop symptoms of any significance.
    They get mild symptoms, like a cold or allergies. They have super antibodies. Or, they may have antibodies because they were exposed to a prior version of this strain. That’s what scientists are trying to figure out. But, the hyper-deadly reaction isn’t due to the virus, it appears to be due to the individual. See the above links.

There are tests in developmental phase right now that will tell if you’ve already had the virus; this is to track if you have developed antibodies that are beneficial against the virus in the future, particularly against a second wave of the virus and mutant strains.

Edit: I want to be clear to you that I didn’t disagree with your assessment that asymptomatic people are spreading the virus (which is actually true of all viruses); dumb people don’t seem to grok that and only look at hot spots of sick people on a map. And I think THAT is what the Iceland study demonstrates: That half the U.S. population could have it right now but we wouldn’t know because we are only testing symptomatic people. And Trump wanted to open the country up except for NYC and Washington and Michigan etc. because that’s where “the sick people are” on a map with red dots. I just disagreed with CNN’s (and Buzzfeed’s) “medical” assessment of the test study.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-02-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    I had the flu vaccine here in Australia yesterday that covers 4 types of flu - one similar in nature to COVID. They’ve said how dangerous it would be to contract one of these and have COVID on top of it, so I got jabbed for $15.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I had the flu vaccine here in Australia yesterday that covers 4 types of flu - one similar in nature to COVID. They’ve said how dangerous it would be to contract one of these and have COVID on top of it, so I got jabbed for $15.
    Why don't you get the flu shot every year? I realize it's not 100% effective due to the nature of the vaccine and the various strains of influenza, but it's better than nothing. The flu is absolutely miserable; I'll take any reasonable line of defense against it that I can get.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Why don't you get the flu shot every year? I realize it's not 100% effective due to the nature of the vaccine and the various strains of influenza, but it's better than nothing. The flu is absolutely miserable; I'll take any reasonable line of defense against it that I can get.
    Oh I have been in the last few years. Got it earlier this year for obvious reasons. They said they had 10 left with more on order that would take about 3 weeks to arrive.

It hurt to sleep on that arm/side last night but it’s mostly better today.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I've never had a flu shot. Never had the flu either. Strong immune system/luck.

...but when there's a vaccine for this, I will most likely get it.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I've never had a flu shot. Never had the flu either. Strong immune system/luck.

...but when there's a vaccine for this, I will most likely get it.
    When there's a vaccine for this, it better be fucking mandatory.

Also: if you ever do get the flu, ask yourself if it was worth it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I have a feeling this vaccine will be mandatory. It certainly should be at least.
    the issue with the flu shot is, I know multiple people that get the flu shot and still get the flu. I understand the value of it however. not arguing that.

as of this morning, make that 5 people I know who know someone with the virus. this person thankfully sounds like they are in good health at the moment.

bonus tip: try to stock up over the next 2 weeks. my gf made a good point yesterday: once the stimulus checks come out in about 3 weeks, EVERYONE will be out food shopping. better to avoid the crowds as much as possible.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This Trump press briefing is just an embarrassment. How did the UK and USA get such bad leadership at the worst possible time? (Well I know the answer). The guy live tweeted it, Trump goes off about his Facebook following at one point. Thank God it seems from here like states are just doing what they need to do without reference to Trump!

Last edited by WorzelG; 04-02-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    My husband has begun counting. "We're down to 5 toilet paper rolls now!"

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I know 4 people that lost people the past few days.

for those states/areas with low numbers right now, PLEASE take this serious. two weeks ago, there was less than 10 cases of it.

It's maddening to hear the Gov of Alabama say folksy shit like "hey Y'all (seriously), we're not New York!" Fucking MORONS, and Trump is peddling this exceptionalism too, saying that some areas just don't need to be as cautious as others. What's so goddamn hard about the simple guidelines suggested by the medical professionals?! Shut this shit down!!!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    it sickens me. EVERYWHERE SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN. it's not that hard! cases will subside in once place and SURGE in another place if everything isn't shut down everywhere!!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    When I went to get mine, twice, they were actually sold out, here, at various places. Which sounds crazy but was true. Then I GOT a virus and the docs said I couldn’t get the flu shot until I totally recovered. Ugh.

Edit: I contacted my doc, he said wait until the flu season in the fall.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-02-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I have a feeling this vaccine will be mandatory. It certainly should be at least.
    the issue with the flu shot is, I know multiple people that get the flu shot and still get the flu. I understand the value of it however. not arguing that.

as of this morning, make that 5 people I know who know someone with the virus. this person thankfully sounds like they are in good health at the moment.

bonus tip: try to stock up over the next 2 weeks. my gf made a good point yesterday: once the stimulus checks come out in about 3 weeks, EVERYONE will be out food shopping. better to avoid the crowds as much as possible.

Yes, timing will be EVERYTHING with that. Try to shop after the 3rd (first of the month is a big rush because of assistance programs especially) but before the checks are actually sent out. If you see a lot of people there, just wait and come back another time unless you're desperately out of something needed.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    it sickens me. EVERYWHERE SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN. it's not that hard! cases will subside in once place and SURGE in another place if everything isn't shut down everywhere!!
    And it’s already IN those other places. They just haven’t seen it, yet.