Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Where you suggest someone start if they were interested in listening to Coil, but haven't heard all that much yet. Their discography is large and a bit intimidating. I also know that their sound changes a lot from release to release. Anyone got a good starting suggestion?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Ok I will keep this VERY brief, but I think it does them some degree of justice without delving into every dark corner of their discog. In a nutshell I'd say bookend it - get horse rotorvator and ape of naples

track by track (youtube at the ready!)

early stuff

From Horse Rotorvator (1986)

- anal staircase (pretty different to the rest of their stuff but will be reminiscent of pretty hate machine NIN)

- Slur (remember this album was borne of the uncertainty and fear of the early AIDS/GRIDS epidemic - the lyrics are so great "and I asked my lovers, do you know? - where the desert roses bloom and grow")

- Penetralia (if you like broken by NIN you will be into the sound of this track 100%)

later stuff

from Foxtrot; (1998)

- Heartworms (very depressing, grave sounding. the video is great)

From Ape of Naples; (2005 ish)

- Fire of the Mind (absolutely beautiful funereal track, lyrics are just great, imo one of the best ever)

- Tattooed man (lovely)

- Heaven's Blade

I will also say that "Ostia - death of Pasolini" is lovely
    Last edited by Sutekh; 11-09-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    the "musick to play in the dark" releases are great if you're into ambient and don't mind it getting a little weird.

other than that, i totally agree with sutekh.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    "The First Five Minutes After Death" is also highly recommended. amazing

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Musick to Play in the Dark series are my favorites. I enjoy their stuff from 1998 to the end more than the earlier stuff.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yes the later stuff is terribly sad, but really great. I read a shitty review of Ape of Naples & it pretty much turned me against giving a shit what music critics think once & for all

btw the tracks I listed are good starts for newcomers, the rest of their catalogue is really diverse & my choices don't reflect that at all - they're all (relatively) pretty conventional tracks

edit - who's that at 1:55
    Last edited by Sutekh; 11-10-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I think Horse Rotorvator is the easiest starting point. I'd also highly recommend Love's Secret Domain. It's rather atypical of the Coil sound but features some of their best tracks IMO.

Awesome performance of "Discipline" above too. I wish I had the opportunity to see TG live. Damn geography!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember "Love's Secret Domain" and "The Snow" from the Wax Trax Black Box, the only other tracks I've heard besides remixes. I've been searching high and low for the full album of Love's Secret Domain but I can't find it anywhere - iTunes, Amazon, hell even torrent sites. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find this album?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Are there any places to still get Color Sound Oblivion? I really want to see it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    You can get the last two DVD's of the set, the ones with the audio/video loops, on Archive.org:

http://archive.org/details/CoilColou...blivionDvd1516

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darktemplar007 View Post
    Are there any places to still get Color Sound Oblivion? I really want to see it.
    i don't think there are any more copies of the open edition available through threshold house, but you can always check.

my copy was one of the ones with a faulty box, but i didn't witness it split open until way after peter had offered replacement boxes. oh well. it's still one of my favourite possessions.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I stumbled across this the other day and thought it was worth sharing, although maybe you've already come across it yourself in similar searches - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCoilFan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I stumbled across this the other day and thought it was worth sharing, although maybe you've already come across it yourself in similar searches - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCoilFan
    I love you.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Holy shit, Desertshore / Final Report is out! Here's a little taste: http://boingboing.net/2012/11/25/rem...-sleazy-c.html

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my limited edition vinyl set is on its way...got my digital download a few days ago...both discs are pretty amazing. i haven't listened to the Faet Narok remixes yet, but i'm sure they'll be interesting.

right after i listened to this, i threw "the endless not" on my turntable and realized how different the band is without genesis. i like both versions of the band, but i honestly think desertshore / the final report might be the best thing they ever did.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Anyone else a huge fan of Time Machines? I read somewhere that they were planning a box set with extended versions of each piece, but I'm guessing that won't materialize at this point =(

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    Anyone else a huge fan of Time Machines? I read somewhere that they were planning a box set with extended versions of each piece, but I'm guessing that won't materialize at this point =(
    Love it. It had totally disoriented me once and made me lose my perception of time for a little bit.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i believe that is something (along with a complete remastered discography on some kind of physical media) that peter was working on at the time of his death. i don't know if danny hyde will pick up where he left off, or if it's something that will never be finished. i hope that both see the light of day, though.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    guess i should have checked threshold house before i spoke: !!!!!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Oh, fuck YES!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    holy crap!! That just made my day. I hope there is more info soon

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just getting into Coil and want some advice. I liked Horse Rotorvator and the Ape of Naples, but didn't really care for Love's Secret Domain, where do I go from here?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Just getting into Coil and want some advice. I liked Horse Rotorvator and the Ape of Naples, but didn't really care for Love's Secret Domain, where do I go from here?
    sounds like you'd enjoy more Coil releases that have "conventional" structures and approaches, so i'd suggest Astral Disaster (a personal favourite), Black Antlers, and/or The New Backwards.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Sounds about right, LSD was a little too experimental for my tastes. Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Im liking Scatology the most at the moment. Sounds seriously ahead of its time. Its so so weird. Best album title ever. Coil were obsessed with bodily functions. I remember hearing about how they got some of their friends and went on a tour of the sewers underground in Brighton once. I find a lot of their material really funny.

Im also liking their later EPs the Time Machine ones. A lot of this stuff was recorded when they were on all sorts of drugs, various types of Acid, DMT, psylocybin and some chemicals i have never even heard of that sound fucking scary. They wanted to record what it was like to be in another sphere of some sort, again a lot of it is too mindbending to take in on one listen. But for some reason im drawn to it.
    The Time Machine EPS Sound heavily influenced by Autechre.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I honestly can't think of a Coil release that I don't like. Every album, EP, compilation and single is great and shows different side of a band.
    All-time favorite song: An Unearthly Red (from Live Four)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @seasonsinthesky astral disaster is the opposite of "structured." it's totally ambient and weird. however, it's also fantastic. LSD is, if anything, their most structured album, and is partly why i don't like it (plus it's WAY too danceable for my taste...hahaha).

@highly psychological during the recording of Time Machines, they were on absolutely NO drugs, but sought to make music that simulated the effects of taking drugs, particularly hallucinogens.

@imail724if you liked horse rotorvator & ape of naples, check out "scatology," "gold is the metal (with the broadest shoulders)," "black antlers," and both volumes of "musick to play in the dark."

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I think part of why Scatology is such a fun listen is Jim Thirlwell's involvement. His dark sense of humor and jazz experimentations found in Foetus mix well with Coil's manifesto. The drum beats are loud and reverb-laden, just like early Foetus releases.

I remember watching a Coil interview on YouTube where Jhonn is asked "Why are you interested in making art about shit?" His response was, "I shit every day."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So, January 1st has come and went and there's still no info about Time Machines 2. I couldn't find any more info from Threshold House, but I tweeted State51 about the pre-orders and I'll update if they get back to me. In the mean time, is anyone else able to dig up info on it?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    So, January 1st has come and went and there's still no info about Time Machines 2. I couldn't find any more info from Threshold House, but I tweeted State51 about the pre-orders and I'll update if they get back to me. In the mean time, is anyone else able to dig up info on it?
    i've had the threshold house website open on my phone since the 31st, and i refresh it about once an hour when i'm not home just in case. i've been going crazy.