Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: hole

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

hole

i love 90's hole, from 'pretty on the inside' to 'celebrity skin.' i liked parts of 'nobody's daughter' and courtney's solo record. their cover of "gold dust woman" has been one of my favorite songs for almost two decades.

if you hate courtney, go nuts, but i hope there are some fans on the board.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I love Live Through This and find some great fun with Pretty On the Inside when I listen to it (been awhile). Outside of a few tracks, I really don't care for Celebrity Skin as a whole.

I'm not a hardcore fan but I do enjoy them.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I do like Live Through This and some of the stuff from the first album and a few tracks from Celebrity Skin. That's really it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Love Hole.

Saw them in 1999 and the revamped Hole in 2010 and Saw Courtney Love last summer. She's a great frontwoman and always puts on a good show.

I liked Pretty on the Inside well enough. It's good, not great--kind of by-the-numbers grunge/riot grrrl early 90s rock. Live Though This is their masterpiece--one of the best rock albums from the 1990s, IMHO. I liked Celebrity Skin a lot too. I really liked the contrast between the slick production and the album's dark themes and lyrics. I felt that Nobody's Daughter was totally underrated and really didn't warrant all the scorn it received. Yes, the band was different, but it really did sound like the natural follow-up to Celebrity Skin--if you liked that album, you should like Nobody's Daughter too.

The rarities album My Body, The Hand Grenade was quite good too. Never cared for Courtney's solo album America's Sweetheart--both in terms of production and songwriting it was a letdown.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i love 'my body the hand grenade' -- especially "he hit me (and it felt like a kiss)" and "season of the witch."

did you see the manson/hole/monster magnet '99 tour that never survived the northwest? it was my first front-and-center rail show and hole was amazing. she taunted some bald guy who she thought looked like he was part of the aryan nation, gave a guitar to some chick who was bawling her eyes out, responded to a "samantha rocks!" sign with "samantha's a fag ... i'm a fag, too ... except most of the time," and baited manson a few times (claiming they didn't use live guitars, being one instance).

manson followed suit with typical "at least i didn't kill my husband" stuff before trying to pull down rose mcgowan's hot pants when she came out during "i don't like the drugs."

i missed the next day of school (i was a senior two months from graduation) because my ribs hurt so bad from that four hour crushfest.
    Last edited by kel; 08-02-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Didn't catch that tour. I saw Hole in Boston (at the Orpheum) in June of '99. It was a good show but I had the nosebleed seats. The next two shows were at the House of Blues in Boston and I was able to get a much better view. The second Hole (2010) show I caught had a noticeably higher attendance than when I saw Courtney solo (2013). Just goes to show that the name "Hole" has more of a draw than "Courtney Love."

I read that the Celebrity Skin lineup was going to reunite, but I guess that fell apart.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 08-02-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i read that, too. total bummer, but no surprise. the show in boise opened with "violet" and closed with a "northern star" encore. oy, it was amazing. i wanted so badly to hear "gold dust woman," but she didn't start playing it until recently (sounds like you've probably seen it live).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I saw Hole at Lollapalooza in 1995.

It was a good show because Courtney was a train wreck. At one point, Courtney stood on the left side of the stage (instead of her usual right) and said "HEY MELISSA, CAN I BE THE VIRGIN AND YOU BE THE WHORE?" It was hilarious.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-02-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    sounds rad. i saw her in her hollywood phase, but i would've loved to have seen her in her messy babydoll era.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    With her foot up on the amp, taunting and bitching and flashing her boobs at everybody LOL.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'll just leave this here.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post

wait ... are you trying to uncover the huge industry secret that courtney love can't sing?!

you have some nerve.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    wait ... are you trying to uncover the huge industry secret that courtney love can't sing?!

you have some nerve.
    She sings fine here. Her guitar playing?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Hole rule, looking forward to a new tour/album.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I've sort of rediscovered Live Through This era Hole, and, it's fucking GREAT.
    Some of those songs sound more like Nirvana than certain Nirvana songs.
    It's incredible. You can definitely hear the effect of two artists living together and bouncing songs off of each other.

And then, a couple of EPs later, and we had Celebrity Skin, and, dear LORD.
    They flat out became a different band with a different ethos and different goals.

The title track grew on me, but it took like...23 years?

For me, that one record was lighting in a bottle, as they say.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I've sort of rediscovered Live Through This era Hole, and, it's fucking GREAT.
    Some of those songs sound more like Nirvana than certain Nirvana songs.
    It's incredible. You can definitely hear the effect of two artists living together and bouncing songs off of each other.

And then, a couple of EPs later, and we had Celebrity Skin, and, dear LORD.
    They flat out became a different band with a different ethos and different goals.

The title track grew on me, but it took like...23 years?

For me, that one record was lighting in a bottle, as they say.
    Live Through This = Kurt Cobain
    Celebrity Skin = Billy Corgan

Go figure on the quality difference haha. I sat next to Courtney & the drummer shortly after Kurt passed @ an Elvis Costello show. Wasn't impressed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post

that's very embarrassing lol

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Naming your band hole and being Courtney Love is pretty embarrassing IMO.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antediluvian View Post
    that's very embarrassing lol
    To be fair no one would have heard it that way. The mix with the full band sounds a lot better. Not great, but better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    To be fair no one would have heard it that way. The mix with the full band sounds a lot better. Not great, but better.

Fair enough, but maybe there's a reason for having two additional guitarists on stage?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Now we need the arse from Puddle of Mudd and her to do a tour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Live Through This was in heavy rotation in the 90’s on my stereo. Love many of the B-sides, too. Drown Soda, Burn Black, 20 Years in the Dakota, Old Age, Best Sunday Dress. The Gold Dust Woman cover rocks.