Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Movies (Spoilers)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Agreed 100% with all of this. Star Trek Beyond had some of the more fun adventure elements I remembered from the more spirited Trek films, some beautiful imagery, but ultimately sat on a foundation of hollow characters without convincing emotional motives.

I have reasonably low expectations for both franchises, going forward, which is a shame. Geeks inherited the Earth, and turned it into a fucking Wal-Mart.
    I obviously couldn't care less about Star Track, but I really hope you're pleasantly surprised by Star Wars.

As far as "geeks inherited the earth and turned it into a fucking Wal-Mart," Botley, you need to copyright that shit.
    it's utterly priceless.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    I’d agree. All three Trek’s had problems like that. But as a matter of preference I still like 09 best of the three, and find the Nero issue somewhat forgivable. If I remember the story correctly he wasn’t a military man or a strategist of any kind, Nero was the captain of a mining barge. I can chalk his poor planning and tactical decision making up to that.

But in broader strokes, bad storytelling is what holds these J.J. sci-fi movies back. The guy is great in the technical production of putting solid images on the screen, and generally playing on nostalgia, and even getting compelling performances out of his actors. But as far as I can tell, he really fumbles with telling a coherent and focused story.

This was my biggest issue with TFA, the story is all over the map and never distills into a coherent thing. The opening text crawl claims the movie is about everyone looking for Luke, but from that point on the story goes in a hundred different ways and none of them have anything to do with people looking for Luke. Then at the end R2 randomly awakens and says here is the map to Luke. Again great images, solid acting, nostalgia well played, but after seeing it 6 or 7 times I still have no clue what the hell the movie was really supposed to be about other than introducing the new characters and having the old characters pass the torch. The next film has its work cut out for it to provide some context to all this. And I can’t say I’m thrilled to have J.J. back for the last one.
    I think you nailed it. Abrams is much better suited for SW than Trek. With Trek, I want a great, compelling story, something cerebral. With Star Wars, my standards are lower. I'll I ask for is a somewhat coherent story, cool visuals and interesting, colorful characters. I think Abrams did a fine job with TFA and I didn't think it was as nearly as bad, in terms of writing, as his Trek movies. The plot holes and bad writing from the 2009 is just indefensible, imho. It was worse than the trade/separatist bullshit from the SW prequels. So while I feel Abrams really got the ball rolling with TFA, I am disappointed he will write and direct IX. I expect a fun, colorful but anticlimatic finale, one that just plays it safe.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I don’t offhand know who wrote the stories and characters of the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, but they did fantastic with those games and it’d be great to see them given a go at penning the movies. This video is long-winded but shows some of the depth of the games characters and story.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I actually wouldn't mind that.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Fuck no. I don't care who it is, they seriously better not recast. That would be a huge mistake imo. I honestly don't even like them recasting for younger versions of themselves, ala Solo, but this would just be ridiculous. Make the story work without her.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    GIGANTIC grains of salt. HUGE grains of salt.

Also, I think there's something to be said about coming up with the right way to send Leia off and I'm sure it's one of several factors that contributed to Colin Trevorrow's departure.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    You know that SW fans will bitch about IX no matter what.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-29-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Yeah I don't think recasting is a very good idea. That would just be utterly fucking bizarre to me.

I sure hope this movie works out. I'm afraid losing Carrie Fisher totally derailed where they were going with the story what with TFA being about Han and TLJ being about Luke, and IX likely being about Leia.

I want this to be amazing. It's the end of a (long) era. It's the conclusion of Star Wars as we know it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Episode 9 needs to begin with Leia's funeral.

That's the only acceptable way to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Episode 9 needs to begin with Leia's funeral.

That's the only acceptable way to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I think that might actually be a good way to handle it. I'd like to think that it would work well to cast someone who looks a lot like her and just CGI their face to make it look exactly like her, but I suppose Spoiler: that's pretty much what they did in Rogue One and tons of people hated that and thought it looked like shit (I actually thought it looked pretty good myself). Either way, they have three options: recast (which is probably the least popular option, even if it is by an Academy Award-winning actress), CGI (which they already claimed they wouldn't do), or off-screen death (seems most likely, except for the rumors that they planned for Leia to have a substantial role, which granted, could always be rewritten). None of those will please everyone. I was about to say that I'd like to see her arc completed, if possible, but when you think about it, she saved the rebellion, so maybe her purpose in the saga was fulfilled after all?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    They could do a funereal scene and cgi her face from this last movie onto a body double.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    having her funeral open the next movie would be the only classy way to let go of that character right now and it makes sense from our viewpoint at this time. But looking back at all three films as a trilogy will make it appear somewhat jumbled I guess... I'm really curious how they will end this narrative as I enjoyed TFA and TLJ in places. Snoke said it best: we shall see, we shall see...

with Solo I'm very curious as well right now, but I will watch that one as a standalone movie rather than really connecting it to the overall story and the role Harrison Ford did play.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Or they could splice up a bunch of previously shot footage together like what they did with Chef in South Park after Isaac Hayes quit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Episode 9 needs to begin with Leia's funeral. That's the only acceptable way to do this.
    Yes. Opening crawl: What remains of the RESISTANCE have found refuge on the planet WHATEVER and work towards building up their forces ETC ETC.
    GENERAL LEIA ORGANA's health has worsened following the FIRST ORDER attack against the RADDUS, and remains bed-bound ET ETC.

Cut to Resistance pilots returning from a training mission. Poe Dameron heads to the main camp to be met by Finn (with a big kiss, if you like). Leia's health has taken a downward turn since he left, and Rey has been by her side for most of the time. Making their way through the camp they arrive at Leia's hut. Most of the resistance members are there, and the atmosphere is tense but hushed. Poe is held back from rushing inside and just then Rey appears, distraught. Quietly moving to a raised platform, she eventually raises her eyes to meet the muttering crowd and struggling to maintain her composure she announces that their General is dead.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Siiiigh. Fucking Carrie Fisher. I thought she was Too High to Die. It's such a fucking heartbreaking loss and also at just absolutely the worst time.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

I think this might be good. I'll see it despite my sort of dislike towards Ron Howard.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

I think this might be good. I'll see it despite my sort of dislike towards Ron Howard.
    I dont know. I cant get past the actors.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I really like the look and style of it. But obviously they are aiming at another humanoid droid as a funny sidekick again? Phew... then again I like that the Empire is not that big of a deal in this movie apparently.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I dont know. I cant get past the actors.
    I think that's probably why it's so 'meh' for me as well. Of course with all the stories of that Alden Ehrenrich guy needing acting coaches and whatnot on set...I held off judgement of course until seeing it, and man he seems wooden as hell. Seems like a 'wait for digital' for me.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Like with everything i see i'll give this a chance (i won't ever go into a film 'expecting' to hate it, even transformers!) everyone looks great apart from Han's casting...but, again, i'll give this a fair chance.

Now Disney just go ahead and green light an Obi-wan film with ewan mcgregor, you know it makes sense!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Like with everything i see i'll give this a chance (i won't ever go into a film 'expecting' to hate it, even transformers!) everyone looks great apart from Han's casting...but, again, i'll give this a fair chance.

Now Disney just go ahead and green light an Obi-wan film with ewan mcgregor, you know it makes sense!
    That is the only Side story movie that I truly want to see.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    i've been hearing from some pretty reliable sources that chewie gets brutally decapitated by that rock.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Yeah, that's the only spin-off I'll be getting excited about. I gave Rogue One another try, but in the end it was just 'okay' for me, and I'm struggling to find much in these clips to get me interested in Solo.
    Ehrenreich doesn't quite seem right so far, but I'm kind of hoping that the casting will make more sense once we see the whole thing. I always like seeing Woody, so that's cool, but I'm weirded out by Waller-Bridge as the comedy robot. When you only know her from Fleabag, and her voice is quite recognisable, yeah it's weird.
    I think this may be a case of waiting for the reviews before I book any tickets. If it's well received then I'll give it a go, but I won't be rushing in.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

I'm starting to think that this SOLO movie might not totally suck. Preview looks pretty cool.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    This movie could maybe work if it's dumb fun, but I have a baaaad feeling that it's only going to be dumb.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like it’s happening.

Lando is back.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post

Lando is back.
    Doesn’t surprise me since everyone from the original cast has either had their character killed off or has sadly passed away in real life. Meh.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post

Lando is back.
    scarlett johansson is said to be annoyed they overlooked her for the role

Pretty happy he is back TBH, now the rumours can begin...LANDO IS REY'S FATHER! (I'm joking obviously...or am i?)