Page 16 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones - Spoilers

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Erm, Robb's wife was preggo in the books and they were gonna name him Eddard if it was a boy. She didn't go to The Twins, though.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Erm, Robb's wife was preggo in the books and they were gonna name him Eddard if it was a boy. She didn't go to The Twins, though.
    She was pregnant? I remember her getting all TMI with Catelyn about how many times she and Robb were doing it but that she still wasn't knocked up.

So, Spoiler: did Tywin set up this RW like he did in the books?

Catelyn's reaction (as well as that of my friends and the Interwebz) reminded me of this:

Last edited by Baphomette; 06-03-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    I assume yes because Spoiler: of what was said to Robb as he was stabbed. "Lannisters send their regards" or something to that effect

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I could have sworn (book spoiler) Spoiler: Jeyne Westerling's mother was in bed (not literally) with Tywin Lannister, and had been giving her daughter some sort of birth control the whole time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    She was pregnant? I remember her getting all TMI with Catelyn about how many times she and Robb were doing it but that she still wasn't knocked up.

Catelyn's reaction (as well as that of my friends and the Interwebz) reminded me of this:

I also thought of the Godfather: The massacre happens during a wedding.

Also, Robb Stark was not Paul Atreides avenging his father's death, Catelyn was not Jessica, but maybe Arya is Alia?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This was the inspiration for the Red Wedding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Do...inburgh_Castle

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    That is great, but I'm quite sure he didn't write that...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This was the inspiration for the Red Wedding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Do...inburgh_Castle
    I have to say though that in this instance, Game of Thrones is a little more violent than the medieval age actually was. The complete elimination of a dynasty by an enemy was VERY rare and the reason might be that the nobility and the Church were in an alliance to preserve the feudal structure. So the only instance of a complete destruction of a "Great House" in medieval Europe that I can think of happened in consent with the Church: the fall of the House of Hohenstaufen. Of course, George Martin's world misses such a moral institution and so Tywin gets away with eradicating a complete house twice (not knowing that Bran and Rickon are alive). The House of Hohenstaufen didn't kill their enemies when they had the chance, not the Welfs, and not Richard Lionheart who was their prisoner for a couple of years. Similarly, Emperor Charles V of Spain didn't eradicate the ruling French dynasty when he had the chance. The Catholic Church would have forbidden such a violation of the feudal code.
    I'm trying to think of historic instances in which there was a hunt for bloodlines, the islamic Umayyads, for example, and the czars of the Romanov family.

Well... I guess I can start reading the third book now, since, as I mentioned a couple of pages ago, I already got spoiled about another big thing that is about to happen.
    Last edited by ambergris; 06-03-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    That is great, but I'm quite sure he didn't write that...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_onion

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeOhDeeWhy View Post
    Holy fucking shit.

Spoiler: Does anyone else think Lady Stoneheart won't really work on the show?
    It would be pretty awesome if the last scene of the season was her awakening.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    I have to say though that in this instance, Game of Thrones is a little more violent than the medieval age actually was. The complete elimination of a dynasty by an enemy was VERY rare and the reason might be that the nobility and the Church were in an alliance to preserve the feudal structure. So the only instance of a complete destruction of a "Great House" in medieval Europe that I can think of happened in consent with the Church: the fall of the House of Hohenstaufen. Of course, George Martin's world misses such a moral institution and so Tywin gets away with eradicating a complete house twice (not knowing that Bran and Rickon are alive). The House of Hohenstaufen didn't kill their enemies when they had the chance, not the Welfs, and not Richard Lionheart who was their prisoner for a couple of years. Similarly, Emperor Charles V of Spain didn't eradicate the ruling French dynasty when he had the chance. The Catholic Church would have forbidden such a violation of the feudal code.
    I'm trying to think of historic instances in which there was a hunt for bloodlines, the islamic Umayyads, for example, and the czars of the Romanov family.

Well... I guess I can start reading the third book now, since, as I mentioned a couple of pages ago, I already got spoiled about another big thing that is about to happen.
    There's always the Massacre of Glencoe, in which the MacDonalds were largely slaughtered by their hosts, the Cambells. About 80 casualties, including women and children.

Throughout our sordid history, Scots have been legendarily notorious for murdering each other. I personally never leave the house unless I'm carrying at least three claymores.

Lovely scenery in the Highlands, however.
    Last edited by DF118; 06-03-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I dreamed a dream in time gone by
    When hope was high and Starks were living
    I dreamed that Robb, Talisa, and Catelyn would never die
    I dreamed that Walder Frey would be forgiving.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    why doesn't George RR Martin have a twitter account?

Because he killed all 140 characters!

Really though, Twitter is pretty amusing now

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I haven't read the books but it seems to me that the show is turning into a huge revenge-story for Arya pretty quickly. I almost expect the next season or the one after to be like "Kill Bill" in Westeros.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    I almost expect the next season or the one after to be like "Kill Bill" in Westeros.
    Spoiler: Not unless they completely veer away from the books.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    I assume yes because Spoiler: of what was said to Robb as he was stabbed. "Lannisters send their regards" or something to that effect
    True, although Jaime did tell Bolton to give Robb that message as he was leaving Harrenhal.

Also, you totally called it on the Black Gate, Jinsai.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 06-04-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    There's always the Massacre of Glencoe, in which the MacDonalds were largely slaughtered by their hosts, the Cambells. About 80 casualties, including women and children.

Throughout our sordid history, Scots have been legendarily notorious for murdering each other. I personally never leave the house unless I'm carrying at least three claymores.

Lovely scenery in the Highlands, however.
    Well, there must be a reason why Shakespeare let MacBeth take place in Scotland...

(And only a couple of hundred years later, the Scottish enlightenment turns Scotland into one of the most progressive areas of the world... strange how that works sometimes.)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This is making me laugh and hate myself for doing so:

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    "You're a wizard, Samwell."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Even knowing it was coming, that was such a gut punch. Makes Ned's death seem like cupcakes and rainbows.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be too sorry if i am going to see her dance around Joffreys head like this.: http://i.minus.com/ibrjmRrpWJk11z.gif

just kidding. awesome episode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No spoilers, but the way this was done in the show was much more effective than in the book. Obviously because of Talisa's presence, and maybe also because seeing is different than imagining, but the slowly building dread and Catelyn's sudden realization when she lifts Bolton's sleeve and sees the chain mail underneath - all of it was so much worse in the show. Not to mention the look on her face after she screams.

It's been two days and I still can't get it out of my head. I keep having to remind myself that I don't live in Westeros and none of this affects me in real life.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Makes me feel slightly better knowing my reaction to the end of the last episode was not quite as bad as these guys..

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I wonder how Larry reacted

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    anyone else think that when Tywin was casually writing his letters while talking with Tyrion (i think) a few episodes back, that this plan was the content? If so, nicely done HBO people.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Makes me feel slightly better knowing my reaction to the end of the last episode was not quite as bad as these guys..

Girl in the top right is tumblr personified.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    The best part of the last episode was the compete lack of sound while the credits rolled. That amplified the hell out of the "WTF!?"

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Girl in the top right is tumblr personified.
    The chick & 2 guys sharing the couch at 1:05 in that video pretty much sums up the reaction my facebook feed had.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)