Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I think that if I can't get HBO Max on any of my devices - except for my phone? - then I should probably stop paying for it. I'm going to wait and see if it comes to the new Chromecast/Google TV thing next week and if it doesn't then I'm done paying for it. I'll keep it until the end of Lovecraft Country and then get my $15 a month back.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Does anyone have an idea how to save a video clip from facebook that's posted as a comment under some post?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Here in Games et Technology, is there a thread just for Quake? (My search fu is not working...) Since the release of the score on vinyl I've dug up my old copy and thought about playing it. I got it installed with quakespasm and working on Win10 with a PS4/ DS4 controller with the music files (that was a PITA.) Just wanted to talk about it.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Does anyone have an idea how to save a video clip from facebook that's posted as a comment under some post?
    In Brave, you can just right click then "Save Video as...".

jDownloader 2 should work for most social media site stuff.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    jDownloader 2 should work for most social media site stuff.
    I love this tool but in this case it didn't help. I went to see their bug tracker/discussion forums and apparently their Facebook plugin is super outdated and the person who was responsible for it is like super busy at his day job (for like a few years already).

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I use the Video DownloadHelper (Version 7.3.9) as a Browser Plugin. It's not very comfortable here and there, but usually it works. I guess you'd have to play the clip in order for the tool to recognize and download it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    So, my aging (five years old, Black Friday) Windows machine is needing to be replaced. It takes seconds to open folders and I'm pretty sure the hdd is thinking about giving up the ghost. I'm thinking of getting a mac to replace it, but I'm torn between one of the minis, an iMac, or a MacBook - air or otherwise. The mini is nice because of the price, the iMac because of the all-in-one ness, and the MacBook because I just need a docking station. I'm not a power anything, just a normal home user who has a Humble Bundle / steam library that I look at and think "wouldn't it be nice" but don't do anything with. I'm just sick of Windows getting slower and slower. There aren't that many windows-specific programs that I can think of, though I might need to do something for my Office 365 subscription? Figure that out later since it's through my work. Also I'm sure there's something that my wife uses that I'll find out later is important but again, figure that out later.

Also my son is getting a powerhouse for Christmas from his aunt and uncles and if I need to I'll just kick him off that. :P

Other than getting a dock for the MacBook, is there any pro/con to getting that over one of the others? The idea of not having to sit at the desk for the computer all the time is hitting some happy tingles in my head, but also I know that laptops are inherently not as powerful. But also, M1 reviews are having me FOMO'd up.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i put this in the synthlust thread but i figured it would make sense to put it here, too.

i needed to get some things out of some protools sessions so that i could import them into logic and work on doing new mixes, but neither of my laptop computers will open protools any more. so, i had my mom bring my desktop computer over on wednesday. and here's how that went:

i got my desktop started up, pro tools opened fine, my old extrernal hard drive (firewire 800) mounted fine...but it wasn't showing me directories. so like, it was there, but when i opened it in the finder, it was acting like it had no contents but was trying to load them. so i shut down the computer, tried connecting it with a firewire to thunderbolt adapter in between (which is how i usually connect it because the firewire port on the computer is normally connected to the audio interface) but it wouldn't mount. so i tried going back to just firewire...and it would power briefly and then stop. tried the USB option (it has a usb 2.0 connection but i had literally never used it) and it did the same thing. tried to connect it via various adapters to my newer laptop (which it had worked on before) but it did the same thing. hard drive is dead.
    unfortunately, my newer external is usb 3.0, and my desktop doesn't have any 3.0 ports, so it won't even recognize the drive as a thing.

so after some crying and a near panic attack and a lot of sweating, i managed to transfer from my newer hard drive (i had all the stuff on there already), through my laptop, through the network, to the desktop of my desktop, and then i was able to open the PT sessions, export the files, and transfer them back over the network.

jesus. fucking. christ.

so i ordered TWO new hard drives so i can now have my main drive for traveling between home and my parents' (where i record), and two for redundant backup.
    my main drive is named K-2SO and my new ones are IG-11 and D-0 (i always name my external drives after robots, the one that died the other day is Clank).

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Droid names for drives? That is genius!

I just went through a process of upgrading my HDD to an SSD and no matter what I did, windows would not upload properly through a clean install. Has to be my AIO desktop causing this because I have never had a problem in the past. Wound up just cloning my hdd to my ssd in the end, but ffs what a pain in the ass lol.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    PLEASE, help. @Leviathant , @allegro , @Jinsai , and, anyone else with good computer knowledge.

We hit a point where we needed to upgrade to Windows 10.

And, there is the same lock screen, from our previous version of windows.

We know the PASSWORD. What we DON'T know, is the USER NAME my mom used five years ago or whatever.

We've used everything we know to do to try to recover the username/account.

I've heard you can somehow reboot and have all your old files wind up in a win.old file, and start over.

Please, help, y'all.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @elevenism

Does this sound like what you want to do?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @thelastdisciple , who is some weird Canadian dude with whom I've never had discourse,

It didn't work.

I'm about ready to take it to a computer shop.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @thelastdisciple , who is some weird Canadian dude with whom I've never had discourse,

It didn't work.

I'm about ready to take it to a computer shop.
    What version of Windows are you running, now?

Can you at least log in with the password? If yes, log in. Then:

From a Microsoft help board:

User name will be the name of the User Profile, which you're on currently. If you want to see all the User Profiles and their details, then follow the below mentioned steps.
    * Press Windows logo key + R to open run command.
    * Type netplwiz and hit enter key. This will open User Accounts window.
    * Under Users tab User Name, Domain and Group.
    * So under User Name column, you can find the name of the concerned User Profile. Double clicking on the User Profile will give you more details.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-03-2021 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    The part I'm having trouble understanding I guess is it sounds like the username is completely missing from the sign-in screen, since he said he has the password that should be enough to get in but somehow it's not working for him?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    The part I'm having trouble understanding I guess is it sounds like the username is completely missing from the sign-in screen, since he said he has the password that should be enough to get in but somehow it's not working for him?
    I think he needs the equivalent of the Admin user, which isn’t him.

He’s likely created another user profile a while ago but they can’t remember the user profile that has the perms to install the updated OS.

If he’s on a machine using Win7, he won’t be able to install 10, anyway. Too old, not enough resources available, there are a million updates between 7 and 10. Win10 will reject the whole mess.

Unless he already DID upgrade to Win10, and now it’s asking for a login.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-03-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    This is how mine looks, not mine specifically but an example. There's the spot for the user image, the username and then password input.

Although i guess there's definitely like six different ways from Sunday for how it can be set up and especially between choosing to use a local account or a microsoft one.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Right but if he just installed Win10, it’s asking for a username.

We only have Macs in the house, now, and the only Win machine I deal with is my Mom’s old Dell with Win7, ugh, so I’m just Googling info and basing info on general info but ... in Windows, the user name is usually THE PERSON’S ACTUAL NAME (first and last), not some catchy online handle. @elevenism - fwiw
    Last edited by allegro; 02-03-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Right but if he just installed Win10, it’s asking for a username.
    Ahh yeah i guess that makes sense, i couldn't quite remember what my upgrade experience was like. Sheesh you'd think that info would just be ported over from the previous Windows accounts, wouldn't it only ask for the username if it was a completely fresh install?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ahh yeah i guess that makes sense, i couldn't quite remember what my upgrade experience was like. Sheesh you'd think that info would just be ported over from the previous Windows accounts, wouldn't it only ask for the username if it was a completely fresh install?
    You’d THINK, but I Googled this and it seems that some users were upgraded to 10 automatically, and were in the same position (“I can’t remember my username”).

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Fuuuuck.

Well if anything is true, Windows is a VERY messy OS.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Fuuuuck.

Well if anything is true, Windows is a VERY messy OS.
    My elderly Mom has called me at least twice telling me her computer was “dead.” Huh? “Yup. Dead.”

I went over there, control-alt-delete, brought me to the login screen, logged in, poof, it’s fine. My Mom walks in, “OH MY GOD, YOU’RE A GENIUS! IT’S A MIRACLE!”

No, it was a typo in the password.

Fucking thing shuts down. Combine that with a blind 82-yr-old ...

Make a typo while entering the password on my MacBook, and it shakes its head noooooooooo.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    having just bought a new computer I can say that the username is the email address of the user. so when I first logged in I used my email address and password and once that was done it knows it's me so it just asks for a pin.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    having just bought a new computer I can say that the username is the email address of the user. so when I first logged in I used my email address and password and once that was done it knows it's me so it just asks for a pin.
    That’s with NEW computers, this one is upgrading from an older OS. He says his Mom got it over 5 years ago, so I’m guessing Win8?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Right, I'm just saying that if it was anything it's going to most likely be an email address.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Right, I'm just saying that if it was anything it's going to most likely be an email address.
    Not necessarily, local accounts don't use emails. That's for microsoft account sign-ins.

If you set up Windows 10 without an Internet connection present, you'll be able to create an account with just a basic name and password.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My Windows user accounts and my Mom’s is just first and last name, because we didn’t set up a Microsoft account.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I guess my first world / WPP issue is that I don't understand why you'd bother setting up a computer without an internet connection. lol

I mean I do, but that's only after thinking about it and not on first blush.
    Last edited by allegate; 02-03-2021 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I guess my first world / WPP issue is that I don't understand why you'd bother setting up a computer without an internet connection. lol

I mean I do, but that's only after thinking about it and not on first blush.
    Well, you'd set one up with an internet connection, but pre-Win8, the first question the OS asked was not to use an email address as a login (if they'd asked me that, I'd have to guess with one of about 10 LOL).

It was to establish a login ID on your machine, by asking you your first and last name.

According to the screen shots in this video for Win8, it asked you for SOME kind of email address for a new machine with Win8.

This is good info, though, because I guess we can assume that @elevenism didn't come from a Win7 environment (because it's damned near impossible to migrate from Win7 to Win10), and came from Win8, which would have used an EMAIL ADDRESS to log in.

And I'm assuming that his Mom only has one email address? God I hope so??
    Last edited by allegro; 02-03-2021 at 07:07 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Since when can you not upgrade from Win7 to Win10?? My Lenovo V570 ran on 7 and I upgraded with no problems. It really depends on your comps specs.

What version of Windows did you upgrade from? I recently did a clean and quick install from my windows 8 AIO and had this problem myself. I was able to open the command prompt before logging in and displaying the user
    name was disabled some how... Enabled it and boom, username popped right up.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Since when can you not upgrade from Win7 to Win10?? My Lenovo V570 ran on 7 and I upgraded with no problems. It really depends on your comps specs.
    No, that’s true but 8 and 10 have been around for SO LONG that a lot of the Win7 machines are old with minimum capabilities intended for Win7; Win10 has a compatibility checker that tells you when it won’t update. Win7 came out 11 years ago.

We don’t know the answer to your question, the dude with the problem hasn’t logged back in.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-03-2021 at 08:54 PM.