Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Van Halen

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Oh my:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 04-08-2019 at 02:07 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    There are so many things wrong with this, i don't even know where to begin. from the absolute terrible remix.. to DLR vamping. to everyone standing there with cell phones out and not moving. *something, something about technology killing our youth etc etc etc*

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    There are so many things wrong with this, i don't even know where to begin. from the absolute terrible remix.. to DLR vamping. to everyone standing there with cell phones out and not moving. *something, something about technology killing our youth etc etc etc*
    I thought it was bizarre, to say the least, and not really my thing, but DLR looked like he was having the time of his life and the audience seemed to be enjoying it--so, whatever.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    did they tho? DLR always seems to be having the time of his life. the audience just looked confused. they kept focusing on the same 3 people who seemed to be active... idk. it just weirded me out.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Cool interview with Stern. Sam talks about Dave, Van Halen days, etc.

Dave on Van Halen's future:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bys92VHHI3b/

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Wasn't he abducted by aliens or some shit?

Van Halen has moments that I love, but I'll never, never, NEVER understand why anyone loves any of the singers. Maybe I'm just not a very fun person.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Wasn't he abducted by aliens or some shit?

Van Halen has moments that I love, but I'll never, never, NEVER understand why anyone loves any of the singers. Maybe I'm just not a very fun person.
    I like both Dave and Sammy and think they complemented EVH very well. Dave is a total original, a one of a kind, part vaudeville, part crooner, all rock star. Love DLR, and Sammy too, who is more of a traditional rock singer.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I like both Dave and Sammy and think they complemented EVH very well. Dave is a total original, a one of a kind, part vaudeville, part crooner, all rock star. Love DLR, and Sammy too, who is more of a traditional rock singer.
    They're very different, personality and tone-wise, but... the unifying similarity to me feels like... I dunno, they both seem like people you'd expect to see hanging out on a yacht, grinning and toasting you with a Pina colada. They both feel like "cocaine-rawk Jimmy Buffets" to me.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

Hagar is a big fan of Trent, I remember interviews with him (maybe 15-20 years ago) where he said he was really intrigued by the darker rock music like NIN or Tool.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

Hagar is a big fan of Trent, I remember interviews with him (maybe 15-20 years ago) where he said he was really intrigued by the darker rock music like NIN or Tool.
    I can't think of any artist who is more dissimilar to Tent than Van Halen, Dave and Sammy. But I do remember seeing a pic of EVH at a NIN show years ago.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    The older I get, the less-angsty and more prone to inviting "fun" into my life I get.

That said, I guess it's not my thing. It's TOO fun, to the point where it comes full circle and depresses me. I will say, on a positive note, that his guitar tone is the sort of thing that people whisper about in secretive loving tones in the audio engineering world.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I could actually see EVH working with Trent. Obviously not on something like "Beautiful Girls," but I can see Eddie adding a few licks to something Trent wrote.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    DLR is on today's episode of WTF With Marc Maron. He gets pretty candid about his relationship with the brothers, which is to say that there's always been dislike between him and them, and that he got along with their father more than them. I personally found it interesting when he talked about being raised Jewish in Indiana.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    You can listen here:
    http://www.wtfpod.com

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So apparently Billie Eilish not knowing who Van Halen is was a major story this week. I find the reaction of angry 50-something year-old guys over a kid not knowing who a classic rock band from the 70's/80's is to be both troubling and amusing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This was great:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This was fun.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Love this cover from Mutoid Man & Gina Gleason of Baroness.

and if you're intrigued here's the full episode.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Love this cover from Mutoid Man & Gina Gleason of Baroness.
    If you like that, check out the PanaMama performance from this past weekend's Slay at Home Fest. Gwarsenio, plus Shawna Potter from War on Women, Chris Maggio from High on Fire and John Heany.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    does anybody seriously still give a shit about David lee Roth's opinion or "art"

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    does anybody seriously still give a shit about David lee Roth's opinion or "art"
    You could say that about most of the 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Van Halen were my favorite band in high school and were a huge part of my youth. R.I.P. This hasn't even begun to sink in yet.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 10-06-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    EVH is truly a legend, and arguably the best rock guitarist from the 70s/80s hard rock scene. Probably can’t even measure how influential the man was.

RIP

EDIT: though it came from one of Rock’s most tragic event, one of the best stories was when EVH put his black and yellow guitar into Dimebag’s casket. \m/
    Last edited by Krazy; 10-06-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Van Halen were my favorite band in high school and were a huge part of my youth. R.I.P. This hasn't even begun to sink in yet.
    Same.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Weirdly enough I just got that album on Discogs. Bought it on CD so I could burn "Intruder" and "Pretty Woman" together, as well as the flamenco intro to this with the song.

I came away liking this a lot.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Weirdly enough I just got that album on Discogs. Bought it on CD so I could burn "Intruder" and "Pretty Woman" together, as well as the flamenco intro to this with the song.

I came away liking this a lot.

Great song. Some other underrated tracks:

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I have a good Eddie Van Halen story that I was too upset & ill to share yesterday. I had chemo yesterday morning & got home to hear the news of Eddie's passing. Not a good day. So let's hop in the time machine & head back to 1978. I was 17 & a junior in high school. At this point I am seriously getting into music which affected my life (good & bad) for decades to come. The first record came out in February of 1978. I was hanging out at my favorite record store & they said listen to this & put the record on as there was no radio play yet. Eruption comes on & it was like a bolt of lightning. My friends & I freaked out because there wasn't anything else out there that sounded like that. Bought the album immediately. A few months later they came to town as an opener for Black Sabbath on the Never Say Die tour. Van Halen absolutely destroyed them. Sabbath were not at their best & it turned out they fired Ozzy after the tour. They were so bad that we left the show early. Went to a party at a friend's place & I came up with the bright idea of heading down to the Edgewater to try & meet the band. The hotel was the stay of choice for bands. You could fish from the rooms & it was made famous by Frank Zappa song about mudsharks. So, we got there & bluffed our way into the cocktail lounge being underage & all. Turns out both bands were there & it was party time in the bar. We noticed Eddie was sitting at a table by himself in the corner so we wandered over to say hi. I think Eddie figured out we were there on the sly & told us to have seat saying he'd rather hang with fans than anyone else. We ended up getting quite a buzz on with him & he was very cool & nice to us. We met Ozzy, too. He was nice to us, too. On the other hand, David Lee already was really arrogant & aloof. 1 friend ended up spilling a really sloppy drink like a tequila sunrise on him by accident. He was not pleased! To cap it off, on the way back to the car I see a flash of green & dove on it. Turned out it was $40 which was a healthy amount of money in those days. What a night! I saw VH a bunch in the early days. I think they would've been an even bigger deal if Sammy Hagar was the singer from the beginning. DLR was entertaining but irritating & finally he was just insufferable. I saw them with Sammy a few times including a memorable show with Alice in Chains opening. Didn't catch any of the reunion shows. Now I kind of wish I had but I don't think it would've topped the early shows. RIP Eddie, you were 1 of a kind for sure!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear about your situation @chuckrh . Hope you pull through.