Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The NIN Summer Tour 2018 Spoilers Thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    It was an appropriate setlist for a festival. I'm sure they appreciated Closer and HHH more than we would. I'd have been annoyed at that setlist at a solo show but this was fit for purpose.

Given that Massive Attack pulled out of the lineup, I'm OK with not having made the festival (great lineup nonetheless). I dread to think what the temperature is at 2am in Madrid. I'm sat here with fans on and the doors open in central London.

Actually, the weather was quite good for Madrid, including a nice gentle breeze.
    Last edited by Shunt; 07-15-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I don’t get why NIN were underneath QOTSA and Depeche on the line up posters but came on after?
    Because playing after anyone doesn't automatically make you the headliner?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The stream is one of my favorite recordings of NIN I've ever seen. It may not be the best show ever recorded or have a super elaborate stage set-up, but the concept of a black and white video being shot almost entirely from the stage with a light show heavily focused on shadows is so original and unique. I would buy an official release of a show shot this way. It's super cool. I'm happy with what we have, but if an HD source surfaces it'll be a must have.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    It was an appropriate setlist for a festival. I'm sure they appreciated Closer and HHH more than we would. I'd have been annoyed at that setlist at a solo show but this was fit for purpose.

Given that Massive Attack pulled out of the lineup, I'm OK with not having made the festival (great lineup nonetheless). I dread to think what the temperature is at 2am in Madrid. I'm sat here with fans on and the doors open in central London.
    I’m glad I did it. Witnessing the very last EU show ever should be epic. -lol-
    Serious: I’m glad I was there at the last show NIN did this EU tour and the last one of my NIN marathon.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I hope it’s not the last European show ever. European audiences deserve more than festival gigs. But I can see why Trent would rather shrug and refuse to plan ahead than pulling another Wave Goodbye.

It’s sort of amazing his career recovered after that. The same move wrecked Gary Numan’s career for a good decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Numans career was at the low point during more than a decade and I don't think it was the case for NIN (even after the WG tour). We can not compare.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It wasn’t the case for NIN, and that’s why I’m amazed. Generally, fans tend to get frustrated when an artist announces a farewell tour, and then returns a few years later. It wasn’t the case here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just watched the pro-shot from the festival. NIN in studio is Trent + Atticus. Live, it's Trent and Robin's show. Seriously, there's no NIN without Robin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    It wasn’t the case for NIN, and that’s why I’m amazed. Generally, fans tend to get frustrated when an artist announces a farewell tour, and then returns a few years later. It wasn’t the case here.
    Oh, some of us were frustrated. Especially as emotionally raw and mind-blowingly intense as those 2009 shows were. We said our good-byes, and made peace.

When NIN returned, disappointment was inevitable. And I think there was plenty of that to go around circa 2013-14.

This may just be a case of forgiveness -- and the passage of time -- trumping frustration. But for me, had it all ended at the Aragon that Saturday night, I'd have been okay.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I hope it’s not the last European show ever. European audiences deserve more than festival gigs. But I can see why Trent would rather shrug and refuse to plan ahead than pulling another Wave Goodbye.
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    I’m glad I did it. Witnessing the very last EU show ever should be epic. -lol-
    Serious: I’m glad I was there at the last show NIN did this EU tour and the last one of my NIN marathon.
    I just can't help but get the feeling that he bit off more than he could chew again with these tour days and is already retreating to "fuck playing live" mode.

I hope those 6 LA shows aren't foreshadowing of things to come.
    I hope he doesn't bust out the "This is our last show, maybe forever" at the last LA gig.

He can't... NIN is too on fire these days. Right?? I'm starting to worry, lol... maybe I should be trying to attend these LA shows after all.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Part of me is honestly thinking that he just kinda painted himself into a corner when he started talking. It sounds very off-the-cuff, and he probably shouldn’t have said “This’ll be our last show in Europe for...”

How would he know when they’re going to tour Europe next time? They’re not going to do it unless there’s a new album, and his plate is full for the next year or so, once the North American leg comes to an end. I think there’s a big chance it was just a clumsy sentence that he let slip in the heat of the moment.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Even when he announced those 09 shows were his last shows ever...Not for one second did I believe it. I always assumed he needed a 3 or 4 year break and that he would return with NIN around 2012-2014....Then he did that NY Times interview that was streamed in around late 2010/early 2011 where he all but admitted NIN would most likely return at some point.....It was always a matter of when NIN would return for me...Not if
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 07-16-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I for one am really fucking happy that Wave Goodbye was not the end. I wasn't fortunate enough to go to that concert (one of my biggest music-related regrets), so now I make damn SURE that I see them every time. Really, any tour could be the last. I didn't think last year would be the last time I saw Tom Petty, but sadly, that turned out to be the case.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    I'm mature myself, and I know that in this era of my life there're a lot of thoughts and questions: 'how's my life?'-'what am I doing?'-'am I satisfied?'-'is this what I want with my life?' etc etc.
    Trent is 53 and I think he's thinking about the sense of his life too.

So I can imagine he says things directly to people where he's struggling with. One moment he says (in London) he will always keep doing this for this audience and the other time he says 'maybe the last EU tour ever...'

I think and I'm sure Trent never will stop making music, it's his life. I also think Trent will never stop making music live on stage. I only think he will change the strategy and method to do it.
    It's very normal and it would be very strange if he didn't have these issues/thoughts.
    So no worries...
    Last edited by witte; 07-17-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think it's also fairly well-documented he's generally not a fan of European festivals. I'm glad he's had some good experiences this year, particularly at Mad Cool, but I can also see why playing at the Royal Albert Hall feels more wholesome than an outdoor gig in the middle of night, playing greatest hits to people who mainly show up to hear "I Wanna Fuck You Like An Animal."

It may have had an impact on his desire to continue. Especially since it must've felt nice to close off the European leg with a genuinely good show. It'd be a good way to wrap up European touring in general. It's just speculation, though. Whether it was a slip of the tongue or an informed decision, I'm sure the North American leg will reinvigorate his interest in touring the world with NIN.

On the more private side, judging by Mariqueen's Instagram, it's also a pretty cool way to get to take the whole family on an extended vacation and see something else. If it was me, I'd treasure that aspect of it too much to call it quits.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    I'm mature myself, and I know that in this era of my life there're a lot of thoughts and questions: 'how's my life?'-'what am I doing?'-'am I satisfied?'-'is this what I want with my life?' etc etc.
    Trent is 53 and I think he's thinking about the sense of his life too.

So I can imagine he says things directly to people where he's struggling with. One moment he says (in London) he will always keep doing this for this audience and the other time he says 'maybe the last EU tour ever...'

I think and I'm sure Trent never will stop making music, it's his life. I also think Trent will never stop making music live on stage. I only think he will change the strategy and method to do it.
    It's very normal and it would be very strange if he didn't have these issues/thoughts.
    So no worries...

Agree. I immediately put it down to "stage banter", plus the people at Mad Cool probably felt a bit special hearing it, which can't hurt. Best case: they keep playing Europe. Medium case: they continue to play places outside of the USA (for now) so I can still enjoy the gigs. Worst case: I use my tour money to decorate my second (third?) home in France.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    He told us in FL in 2014 that it might be their last tour then, too, and Alessandro mentioned in an interview the whole band feeling like that was a satisfying finish for them at the time. The guy has a pattern of touring too much at once, getting exhausted (rightfully) and then quitting for a couple years before coming back again, liking it more than he remembered, over-booking again and letting the cycle repeat. I do think we’ll likely get another break at least for the next year after LA but I don’t see him actually retiring from shows in full for a long while.

They’re probably going to have an amazing time on that theatre run — I’d never seen Trent happier or more engaged with the crowd than he was in Vegas and that intimacy and sense of mini-residencies from repeated nights leads to a special vibe that the festivals last year just couldn’t have. I don’t think Trent himself knows what he’ll be feeling in a year regarding touring and it’s not woeth worrying about. When I got deep into my favorite band they had quit touring for good and I’d never get a chance to see them and now I’ve been to 8 shows.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I look at it this way: I've never regretted going to a NIN show.
    I'll always regret not going to this show or that show.
    Don't go broke going to shows, but if you have the means and want to, do it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Agreed. I was pretty broke when Wave Goodbye happened and the closest that came to me was Chicago. I tried to buy tickets on Ticketmaster the day they went on sale, but if I remember right, it sold out remarkably fast. I didn't try TOO hard to go and I was broke and I would have had to convince some lazy friends to go with me and it's a long ass drive, but every time I think about it, it just pains me that I didn't find a way to make it happen. At least it wasn't the end of NIN (I've seen them 4 times since then and will be seeing them twice more in October). If you think you'll regret it later, figure something out. Money comes and goes, but NIN shows are life experiences that I can't imagine regretting.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Agreed. I was pretty broke when Wave Goodbye happened and the closest that came to me was Chicago. I tried to buy tickets on Ticketmaster the day they went on sale, but if I remember right, it sold out remarkably fast. I didn't try TOO hard to go and I was broke and I would have had to convince some lazy friends to go with me and it's a long ass drive, but every time I think about it, it just pains me that I didn't find a way to make it happen. At least it wasn't the end of NIN (I've seen them 4 times since then and will be seeing them twice more in October). If you think you'll regret it later, figure something out. Money comes and goes, but NIN shows are life experiences that I can't imagine regretting.
    I agree very much with this. My concert lineup for this summer is/was as follows:

Mighty Mighty Bosstones on 7/3
    Smashing Pumpkins on 7/12
    Manson/Zombie on 8/26
    NIN on 9/13 and 9/14
    Garbage on 10/7

Anddd Im considering seeing Gary Numan on Sept. 4th or 5th...I cant remember the date. My point is, many of these shows were pretty expensive, but seeing as its just my wife and I, I have the means to spend on good tickets for great shows I want to go to. I would always regret seeing a band I love pass through my town just to end up missing them, so I basically go to almost every show I want to, as long as I have the means. And even if for some random reason I dont, I charge the tickets, and IMMEDIATELY pay them off.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post

Yeah, I was lucky enough that a friend of mine has an aunt who lives in Chicago and I was able to sleep on the floor there as long as I could afford the 12 hour each way greyhound ride and tickets. Again, never regret it, because those 2 shows are in my top 5 all time.

My outlook on life is that the important things are the experiences you have and who you share them with. NIN shows are always the best.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I was a frequent concert goer when I was younger, but from about 2006-2012 I hardly went to any concerts, due to personal issues. I feel like I missed out on some of the best stuff out there, but im trying to make up for it now.

For example, ill be going to at least 8 shows in 2018 as of posting this.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yeah, I had a period of time where I barely went to any shows and missed some amazing shows I wish I hadn't (including Rage Against the Machine, whom I'll likely never have another chance to see), and I've been making up for it lately, too. Last year, I went to 12 concerts and two days of a festival (Riot Fest). This year, I'm going to (or have gone to) 14 concerts, plus two 2-day festivals (Northern Invasion and Basilica Block Party). I've gotten a little out of control, but I'm living within my means and I'm having a ton of fun! I'm a little surprised my wife isn't trying to rein me in more, but she's going to most of them with me!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    The stream is one of my favorite recordings of NIN I've ever seen. It may not be the best show ever recorded or have a super elaborate stage set-up, but the concept of a black and white video being shot almost entirely from the stage with a light show heavily focused on shadows is so original and unique. I would buy an official release of a show shot this way. It's super cool. I'm happy with what we have, but if an HD source surfaces it'll be a must have.
    I 100% agree. I very much enjoyed the way the show was shot and I'm hoping for some kind of official release some in this way.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I would love for the 6 LA shows to be streamed and shot in the same style as the Madrid show, i'd definitely pay for that actually

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Lol he just said "maybe ever" while half-smiling, nothing crazy. He just doesn't know when he'll be coming back or ever. Because ya know, children, age, will.. a tour is long and draining.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    People who know the 2 NYC venues this tour:

I have a friend in the NYC area who is a big NIN fan but has never seen them live. Though I initially decided not to try NYC because those tickets were just too expensive and I just love GA over seats so much... but I really want to take him to a show while I know these great setlists are going on, and the band has this amazing energy. One of those "you never know when they'll tour again, and what it'll be like, and what the new music will be like then..." situations where I don't want him to miss out. His favorite album is also The Fragile, and the rotation actually has a decent amount from that album. He is also really digging the new stuff (he's a huge Bowie fan, so God Break Down the Door live would be great for him to see). So I might just have to try to find a pair of affordable-ish tickets for a NYC show and take him.

But I don't know these venues at all. If I am able to take him, which venue would be the better "first NIN show" experience? Is there a "bad seat" in either venue, or would we be good no matter where we are?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    People who know the 2 NYC venues this tour:

I have a friend in the NYC area who is a big NIN fan but has never seen them live. Though I initially decided not to try NYC because those tickets were just too expensive and I just love GA over seats so much... but I really want to take him to a show while I know these great setlists are going on, and the band has this amazing energy. One of those "you never know when they'll tour again, and what it'll be like, and what the new music will be like then..." situations where I don't want him to miss out. His favorite album is also The Fragile, and the rotation actually has a decent amount from that album. He is also really digging the new stuff (he's a huge Bowie fan, so God Break Down the Door live would be great for him to see). So I might just have to try to find a pair of affordable-ish tickets for a NYC show and take him.

But I don't know these venues at all. If I am able to take him, which venue would be the better "first NIN show" experience? Is there a "bad seat" in either venue, or would we be good no matter where we are?
    While I have only been to Radio City and not Kings Theatre, I would say that Brooklyn is far better for the "no bad seat" thing. Brooklyn holds 3,000 people, and Radio City is over double that. Also add in the fact that Brooklyn still has face value tickets available via TM. ALSO, it just looks like an INCREDIBLE venue. I've been wanting to go check it out since it opened. But, Radio City is also just a super iconic venue.

If I had to choose only one, I would personally go to Brooklyn. But I also live here, and I've wanted to visit that theatre for a very long time, so it is hard for me to give an objective opinion. Perhaps people who have been in both can provide better insight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    While I have only been to Radio City and not Kings Theatre, I would say that Brooklyn is far better for the "no bad seat" thing. Brooklyn holds 3,000 people, and Radio City is over double that. Also add in the fact that Brooklyn still has face value tickets available via TM. ALSO, it just looks like an INCREDIBLE venue. I've been wanting to go check it out since it opened. But, Radio City is also just a super iconic venue.

If I had to choose only one, I would personally go to Brooklyn. But I also live here, and I've wanted to visit that theatre for a very long time, so it is hard for me to give an objective opinion. Perhaps people who have been in both can provide better insight.
    While I too have not seen a show at Kings yet, I'm in violent agreement with Sarah that Kings would be a better and undoubtedly more affordable bet. Radio City is iconic and gorgeous, but I've had objectively good orchestra seats for a few shows (Pet Shop Boys, Lady Gaga) where I still felt quite far from the stage, and if for some reason you were to end up in 2nd mezz, you might as well be on the moon. My husband (then boyfriend) and I saw Björk from that vantage point way back in 2001. He's got issues with interior heights, and the steep pitch of the balcony had him leaning way back in his seat all evening...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    NIN is supposedly airing later on the 24 Horas channel sometime between July 23-26.
    any update on this?