Page 10 of 154 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I saw Titanic in 3D tonight. Say what you will about the film, but the Post-Converted 3D is fucking jaw-dropping. James Cameron has absolutely perfected the art of post-convertion. Also, the brand new 4K transfer couldn't be any more beautiful. Film looked FANTASTIC. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I saw Titanic in 3D tonight. Say what you will about the film, but the Post-Converted 3D is fucking jaw-dropping. James Cameron has absolutely perfected the art of post-convertion. Also, the brand new 4K transfer couldn't be any more beautiful. Film looked FANTASTIC. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    so did he turn it into another beautiful 3 hour screensaver?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post

rewatched Melancholia last night and while it's still not a "top film of the year" for me, fuck I love that first 8 mins. (The above pic is a perfect reason.) So beautiful and meant so much to the film the second time around. Von Trier owes a shit-ton of credit to Wagner on this film.

I also put up with Part 1 much more on the second viweing, although the camerawork overall wasn't any less annoying (bits of Dogme 95 bullshit creeps into everything he does.) That said, I still feel like the movie was lacking something -- emotion being the most obvious. Von Trier was upset that he made such a "polished" film, well I'd be happy to tell him it wasn't polished. Very good at times, but very rough at others.

And while I fucking HAAAATE her character, I still think Dunst should have gotten more recognition for her work in this... and I can't stand Dunst or her fucking character. Gainsbourg too, she was great.
    i felt like whatever was happening might as well be happening on a planet with eccentric and filthy rich aliens that looked like humans.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Watched Our Idiot Brother last night. Thought it was funny and likeable.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Contagion was all too disturbingly plausible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Just watched Woody Allen's Manhattan for the very first time... NYC never looked so beautiful.
    LOVE Luther. If you thought the 1st season was brutal, wait until you watch the 2nd season (4 eps, should be easy).

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The trailer for Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter made me watch Wanted again.I love that stupid movie. The sadist in me really enjoys watching poor Wesley get beaten to a pulp. And tonight, I will watch both Night Watch and Day Watch again.

Timur
    Bekmambetov is completely nuts which is why I love his movies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Snowtown (to be released as "The Snowtown Murders" in the US. LOL) was the best film i've seen since Shame. WOW. Had to buy the soundtrack too. And i need to watch it again with subtitles. Especially loved how it respected the audience's intelligence (similar to McQueen's Hunger). The US trailer, on the other hand, explains the story. LOL

Sorry US directors, but you're sort of falling behind in the art department. Maybe you need government subsidies like all those other countries?
    Last edited by konstantin; 02-15-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just watched Woody Allen's Manhattan for the very first time... NYC never looked so beautiful.
    Wonderful little film!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm about to go see Back to the Future at some small theater downtown.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I've heard mixed things about that movie. Meh.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    POLTERGIEST - My favorite Speilberg film. Came out same year as E.T, this is far superior. Best of all the 1980's blockbuster fantasy films. Very Powerful.
    Its an arthouse film given a commercial Hollywood makeover.
    30 years old...they are remaking it. Everyone i know seems to have seen this.
    I love the location where it is set.

Those Strobes! The lighting, all those memorable scenes. Heather O Rourke was a mesmerizing presence. The imploding house, moving chairs, Skeletons in the swimming pool. The rape on the ceiling! That fucking clown. All the cast died! The Poltergeist curse! So much you can do with such a simple story about a haunted house. Dont go into the light!! I love tangina.
    But the lighting in this film is magnificent. I love the atmosphere it has. E.T had a weird atmosphere too, odd lighting, i think Speilberg was experimenting a lot that year. This was when commercial filmakers took loads of risks and fucked around more. Its a very good film.

Also the third one despite being flawed is very trippy and very creepy, the whole mirror's situation i found really scary. The second one sucked not the third.
    Last edited by Highly Psychological; 02-19-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Mob Wives

The accent is enough to watch - awesome.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I finally watched Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method. Kiera Knightly was like the female Nicholas Cage, holy shit.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I'm five episodes into season one, and I have to say, Boardwalk Empire is starting to get pretty good. I'm definitely not hooked yet, but it seems to be getting better.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I'm five episodes into season one, and I have to say, Boardwalk Empire is starting to get pretty good. I'm definitely not hooked yet, but it seems to be getting better.
    Love it. Even liked season two which so often is a bit of a let down, but those HBO folks took some great risks with the story and I think succeeded.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Love it. Even liked season two which so often is a bit of a let down, but those HBO folks took some great risks with the story and I think succeeded.
    Yeah, HBO is awesome. They rarely let me down (except maybe season two of Flight of the Conchords...I still haven't finished it).

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this is going. The last episode I watched was when things really started to happen. Unfortunately, I won't get the next disc until Friday, but, in the meantime, I am starting on the first season of Community, which I've heard is amazing. It'll help hold me over until the next disc of Boardwalk comes in.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I watched Confessions (Kokahaku) last night. I recommend it to everyone. I found it gripping throughout, great soundtrack and beautiful to look at.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A Separation and Bullhead. subtitled movies rule!!!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Attack the Block

Fucking awesome!!!! Why in the hell did that film not get a wide release last summer in the U.S.?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I have heard nothing but great things about that movie. People have been raving about it. One of these days...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Bill Nye The Science Guy

:3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Attack the Block

Fucking awesome!!!! Why in the hell did that film not get a wide release last summer in the U.S.?
    Thanks, for reminding me. I have been meaning to check it out for a while.

We Need To Talk About Kevin. I found it tiring and rather predictable. Some good performances, but that's about it. OK it wasn't rubbish, but it also wasn't anything special imo.

I watched a film called Buck. If anyone has an interest in animals - Horses in particular - it is worth watching. Apart from the ending, which strays a little into wishy washy territory (There are things that could be done with that Horse) it is refreshing to see someone talk about 'Horse Whispering' without turning it into some sort of mysticism. Its real - psychology, and awareness.

So, if you have some spare time, watch it.
    Last edited by YKWYA; 02-23-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, I don't get a chance to watch a lot of films. One of my new year's resolutions is to get down to the store front art house around the corner from me now and go see some of those - A Dangerous Method is next week, I have high hopes.

However, I rented Ides of March yesterday. When you can predict every plot turn before it happens, that's a bad movie right?

I like Ryan Gosling. I even like George Clooney, but even Paul Giamatti and Phillip Seymour Hoffman couldn't save this film movie of the week plot. I'm disappointed. Pretty sad I didn't even recognize Evan Rachel Wood. I did like the cinematography. Sharp Gloom.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I watched the first episode of Community yesterday. I've heard nothing but good things about this show. In fact, I've heard it's the best show since Arrested Development. The pilot wasn't all that great, but that doesn't mean anything. I'm really looking forward to watching more. I hope it's as good as everyone says it is.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I watched the first episode of Community yesterday. I've heard nothing but good things about this show. In fact, I've heard it's the best show since Arrested Development. The pilot wasn't all that great, but that doesn't mean anything. I'm really looking forward to watching more. I hope it's as good as everyone says it is.
    The pilot isn't anything special, but the show gets better. My favorite episode so far is still the Dungeons and Dragons episode.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^Oh, I'm sure. I've seen enough shows that took awhile to get going, but then ended up great (the aforementioned Arrested being a good example) that I'm not dissuaded just yet. I'm three episodes in now, and the other two episodes were a bit better (though still not anything great just yet). But I'm sticking with it.

I do have to say, the fact that they used Aimee Mann's "Wise Up" in the second episode made me laugh really hard. So much so that about halfway through the scene I realized I wasn't paying full attention to what was going on because I was so distracted by that. ha ha. And Ken Jeong has been hilarious so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Attack the Block ​was awesome! I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Spartacus: Vengeance

Best episode... so far. Not just for the season but the series. Everything is finally coming together. A few key characters die but one major character makes a return and oh, it's a return all right. Yet, that is nothing compared to what Spartacus and his gang does. I've been impressed with the writing of the episode for the past few episodes but tonight, it's all coming together and more.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    True Blood series four - yum lots of male totty

Silent Witness

Oscars red carpet