Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Doctor Who

Whovians unite!!

I know a fair bit of us are fans, and for some reason I don't recall there being a Doctor Who thread on olde ETS (but then again I wasn't watching it before this spring) so how about one now?

So, allons-y! Geronimo! Let's discuss

Who was your first? Who's your favourite? (Doctor and/or companion) How do you feel about the storyline right now?

And as always, remember to tag for spoilers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Love River Song (in more ways than are appropriate) thought it brought an impressive new element to the Doctor and loved the tie in to the last companions - trying to veer away from 'spoilers!'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't begin Doctor Who until the relaunch, so Christopher Eccleston was my first. I'd say my favourite would be Matt Smith, he feels more Doctor-y to me than any of the others. Companion-wise, well, I used to love Amy but this season I've really come to despise her. Vice versa for Rory, used to hate him, now I love him. I'd have to say Rose is my favourite now. I'm really excited for the Christmas special and the next season as it should be amazing, but I don't know about the whole plot they're doing. I've never been a big fan of the River Song storyline and honestly the last half of season 6 was really disappointing to me. I'm sure they'll get their act together, but I suppose we'll see.

I'm one of those people who really appreciated what they did towards the end of 10's storyline - being companion-less and giving us a glimpse into what he could be, something much different from the Doctor we know and love. I'm very interested to see that story continue with 11, assuming it does, and would expect it to lead directly to the Valeyard plot-line that's so often discussed in fan communities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My first was David Tennant, because I started watching the series in 2008. I haven't watched the old DW episodes, only saw the film. The best companion was Donna WITH A MILE. I loved her humour!! and Alex Kingston as River Song is really good indeed. I'm biased, I just loved everything that is Doctor Who.

(and on the old ETS the thread's name was Dr. Who, and it was so bad. I hate when people write it this way)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The timing of next season's proposed revelation is going to be interesting, coinciding with the show's 50th anniversary and all. If they give the game away on the "question", it'll be the end for the show, for sure.

My money's on a reintroduction of the Cartmel Masterplan.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I think that if Amy left, the current lineup could be brilliant. I just can't connect with her at all as an assistant, and The Doctor hasn't travelled without enough men in nuWho

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Loving Matt Smith, he's such a mercurial Doctor. Amy Pond I could live without. Has to be the most narcissist, self-absorbed companion ever. Rory's good when the writers give him something to do other than die.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    My main issue with Amy is how HORRIBLE she is. She totally doesn't seem to give a shit about her husband/fiancée (depending which season), and didn't even seem to try that hard to remember him post-forest. She only wants to do what's best for her.

I say bring back Susan.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I say bring back Susan.
    Wouldn't be surprised, especially if River Song is involved in that bit of work. Seeing it only requires diddling in the TARDIS to make little Time Lords/Ladies. Would bring out the Doctor's paternal side, yada yada yada blah blah blah.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WingWalker View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised, especially if River Song is involved in that bit of work. Seeing it only requires diddling in the TARDIS to make little Time Lords/Ladies. Would bring out the Doctor's paternal side, yada yada yada blah blah blah.
    Susan was born on Gallifrey though, and that might be rather difficult. Unless Moffat starts chugging cough syrup again

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Yeah, well, look at the "12 regenerations/13 lives" thing. Retconning is now the rule not the exception.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The 12 regenerations can be (very, very loosley) explained as being a law, rather than a species' requirements. After all, more than once a Time Lord beat the 12 (Master, Rassilon)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My first Doctor was Eccleston-- I was introduced to the show with The Empty Child at 2AM (thanks for the nightmares, Moffat!). Definitely going to agree with Donna for favorite Companion, but admittedly I still haven't seen classic Who.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessly View Post
    My first Doctor was Eccleston-- I was introduced to the show with The Empty Child at 2AM (thanks for the nightmares, Moffat!). Definitely going to agree with Donna for favorite Companion, but admittedly I still haven't seen classic Who.
    Every non-lost episode is online, and a hell of a lot are actually streaming legally (there's a few master torrents out there too, if you know where to look). If you ever feel like grabbing onto it, you should start from S1E1 though, to get the feel of how it evolved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Are the older seasons worth it? / how do they compare?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Im powering through my rewatch. Hoping to make it in time for the special on the 25th.

Rory brought a tear to my eye when they showed his life as a centurion... epic stuff.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nappyp View Post

Go watch Remembrance of the Daleks. Basically Sylvester McCoy's 7th Doctor taking on the Daleks during (what would later be retconned as) the Time War- it brilliant and twisted and manipulative.
    Last edited by DF118; 12-02-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nappyp View Post
    You have to remember: without the decades of preceding awesome entertainment, the current show would not exist. The classic ones are brilliant, and whilst obviously they don't have the feature film budget in terms of special effects, every actor gives it 100%, and it can still be as scary and moving as anything from the modern ones.

And hey, if nothing else: it makes you understand the plot WAY better.
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    Go watch Remembrance of the Daleks. Basically Sylvester McCoy's 7th Doctor taking on the Daleks during (what would later be retconned as) the Time War- it brilliant and twisted and manipulative.
    The time war was officially retconned to start with Genesis of the Daleks (also my favourite episode), and the idea seems to be that the war was fought since then, the culmination of it being between the TV movie and nuWho
    Last edited by sheepdean; 12-03-2011 at 06:31 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    When I first cut my hair super-short, one of the first things I wondered was if I could pull off dressing up as Tegan.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The time war was officially retconned to start with Genesis of the Daleks (also my favourite episode), and the idea seems to be that the war was fought since then, the culmination of it being between the TV movie and nuWho
    Genesis is excellent because it's daring- had the botched the origins story they'd have demystified the monster. The "Do I have the right?" speech is the Doctor's self-doubt at it's best. In Remembrance though, he really fucks them up. This was the 7th doctor through and through. Behind the bumbling exterior he really was a ruthless bastard. This is why Sylvester McCoy is my favorite of the old series doctors. Sure, the writing at the time might have suffered a little from attempts at being been on-the-nose political (Happiness Patrol) or outright secular (Ghost Light). But there was so much potential for the idea that the Doctor was something "other" than a time lord during this time. The Davros bait and switch is a masterstroke too.

Speaking of, was that an Omega symbol worn on a patch on River Song's arm, at the end of "The Wedding of..."? I'm pretty sure that was a massive hint as to where we're going now...

Quote Originally Posted by Jadezuki View Post
    When I first cut my hair super-short, one of the first things I wondered was if I could pull off dressing up as Tegan.
    Logopolis is brilliant too. Her introduction to the series was so damn cheesy though.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    And a modified Omega symbol was worn by the soldiers in the really awful Weeping Angels episode about a forest or some shit.

That should be its canonical name.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Eccleston was my first Doctor. I was told to start nuWho (hehe, I like that) by watching specific, earlier Moffat episodes and then going straight to season 5 and then going back to seasons 1 through 4 at my own leisure. But then one of my employees was like "NO WATCH FROM THE BEGINNING HERE'S THE DVDS" so I then went at started at the beginning. However, I DID watch the Moffat episodes first, so I watched the library and weeping angels episodes before a full season.

However, my first episode of Doctor Who that I watched start to finish was the Adipose episode sometime 2 years ago on the CBC.

Also, this is cute:
    http://scifi.icanhascheezburger.com/...dtime-stories/

I keep forgetting that David Tennant's accent is nothing like the Doctor's.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Even weirder: John Barrowman is also Scottish, and when I saw him live, he dropped into his native accent for a bit and it sounds SO odd #offtopic.

Also, I wonder if the Doctor will ever stop by Torchwood? He was on Sarah Jane Adventures (RIP), so it's possible

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Even weirder: John Barrowman is also Scottish, and when I saw him live, he dropped into his native accent for a bit and it sounds SO odd #offtopic.
    Rather hilariously, he's starring in the Pantomime in Glasgow this christmas with the Krankies.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I love it when he does panto, I keep meaning to go, but he's always in that weird country to the north

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    It's probably best not to, we're currently dealing with a Panda infestation so we have our hands full enough as it is.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Bamboo flavoured Irn Bru in 5, 4, 3

(who needs to be on topic?)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Like many here, I started with 9. And like many, I can't say I'm a big fan of Amy - although among my friends and family that watch, I seem to be the only one. While I do like Matt Smith's Doctor, I think I still enjoyed Tenant more. Eccleston was great, too - maybe even with Matt Smith, which each possessing different strengths. Rose has been my favorite companion though, hands-down. I was really hoping Rita (from The God Complex episode) was going to somehow end up being worked in to take Amy's place...oh well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm a big Who fan. Used to watch my mum's old tapes of the classic show, and then followed the 'new' series from S1E1 to the present. I flat out love what Russell T Davis did with the show, it was pacey, charismatic and unashamedly emotional. Eccles and Tennant both made the character their own and were just so natural at it.

That said, the last two years have felt godawful to me. Am I the only one who despises Moffat's writing? I sort of wish they'd called it quits when Tennant left the show and not cast a new Doctor, maybe let it simmer for a few years before rebooting it all over again and coming at it with a fresh angle. Instead they seem to just draw it on and drag whatever they can from the dregs of what's left of the show, leaving us with forgettable episode after forgettable episode. Which isn't helped by the fact that Moffat's storytelling is so cluttered and confused and about as awe-inspiring as a fanfiction written by a 12 year old. All this bollocks about River Song, the Silence and the Pandora's box thing are so thinly constructed and just seem to come and go. It's like they take the narrative, tell it backwards and then chop up the chapters and cast them into the desert, expecting us to go after the pieces. And the worst part is, the writers think they're so clever, their stories so complex and intelligent. There's nothing wrong with a new direction for the show, but Moffat's taken Doctor Who in an iron fist and clung onto it as if its his to do with what he like.

Ugh, I know what the obvious answer to all this is: 'if you don't like the show, then don't watch it.' Well...I can't argue with that. To me, this Matt Smith-era doesn't seem to bare any comparison to what the show actually was, and the 2005-2009 reboot was everything it should and could have been. Maybe that was enough.
    Last edited by Trains; 12-06-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I dont mind this new doctor. He is doing what he can...I really like his companions. They, amy and rory, are the best excluding rose. The writing is terrible recently.

The Silence brain wiping monsters could have been so much more than they are.