Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: God Break Down the Door - first single

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    From up in the thread: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ccuog6bfcxexc9x/door.zip
    password: etsshare
    THANK YOU!!! A different unzip program worked
    Last edited by jgrizzy89; 05-16-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Gotta figure this means it will be officially released no later than this Friday.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Newman View Post
    This song will be skipped constantly.

I DEMAND THAT THIS SONG BE REPLACED BEFORE THE RELEASE!
    This scares me a bit. Would you say it is better or worse than "Everything" as I know a lot of people said the same thing with that song.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessLoveless View Post
    Fuck these descriptions have me nervous/anxious to listen. I'm going to try to wait until full release.
    I'm gonna try and hold out listening to this as well. Maybe wait to hear it live in June. Problem with that is, I'm scared with what people are saying. Doesn't sound like it's going to be my cup of tea. I hated Blackstar - there I said it! I can't stand Blackstar. One of Bowie's worst records. Sorry to everyone that praised that record, but the only good song off that record was Lazarus. Everything was was experimental nonsense noise. None of it was catchy. I like catchy David Bowie. "The Next Day" was fantastic, one of his best records, and to follow it up with Blackstar was very disappointing. I also couldn't stand that Bowie cover Trent did. It was a sleeper point in the shows. I couldn't get into it.

I understand that Bowie was a huge inspiration to Trent, in and out of the studio. A mentor if you will. I get that, he wants to pay respect to him, and that's awesome, he should, Bowie was a spectacular artist, I just really don't get all the praise behind Blackstar. Maybe everyone else's ears are turned a different way than mine and are hearing some magical music, but not me. Give me more upbeat/catchy Bowie.

Anyway, sorry to ramble here about Bowie, guess it's a fitting discussion if the song sounds very Bowie-esque. I'm going to wait to hear it live and/or in the context of the whole album as hard as that is going to be. I don't think I have ever not listened to the first single before a release, so this will be a first for me, and a challenge, but could be very rewarding at the end if done right. The thing with the singles is, I normally get sick and tired of them before the album/EP drops and then I usually end up skipping them and not experiencing them in the way the artist intended the listener to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    - I'm slightly worried about the fact that the other track (from the teaser) sounds a lot similar to this one
    Hmm.... well if this song sounds anything like that teaser clip we heard, then maybe I won't hate it as much as I thought. To me, that teaser clip sounds nothing like Bowie at all. That sounds more "Drum n Bass" and I my immediate impression/thoughts of the 9 second clip were.....

Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    Perfect Drug.
    So, if this "Bowie" type song sounds anything like "ahead of ourselves" than I am 100% on board with that.
    Here's the snippet:

That totally gives off a very drum n bass and/or The Perfect Drug vibe. I'm digging that clip, so if the song everyone here is comparing to Bowie sounds anything like that, then I won't hate it. But the first thing that popped in my mind after hearing the above clip was The Perfect Drug, and that made my mind run a million miles an hour - thinking... what if.... just what if, this is the tour that he plays The Perfect Drug!!!! I mean, it would make sense if this new record has a similar sound. That's probably just me dreaming big now.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessLoveless View Post
    So far without listening, my big takeaway is that people dont like the lovers.
    I don't like the lovers. I heard it live for the first time at Bakersfield last summer before hearing the studio version, and the song just didn't capture me at all. Was too slow and didn't really build up to anything. I did like the track a little more after listening to the sound explorer thing, but not enough to do a complete 180 on my opinion. The song was still the weakest track on Add Violence for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    this post sucked until this line. That cracked me up and realized it was a solid act of trolling. Well done.
    Nothing we haven't seen before. Someone created an online petition to have "Everything" removed from Hesitation marks before the album's release, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Having listened to this multiple times already, I can say that I prefer every single song on both NTAE and AV better. I was hoping this EP would go harder and heavier than the last two and it seems to be doing the opposite. Really hope the rest of the album isn't this tame.
    Damn... so sounds like the EPs are getting worse as they get released. I thought that NTAE was the best stuff he has ever done since The Fragile. Was so refreshing to hear hard/rocking NIN again. Then wit a name like "Add Violence" you just assumed that one was going to be even HARDER and MORE VIOLENT than NTAE was, but it was completely opposite. Other than "Not Anymore" the rest of the EP was quite tame in comparison. Not to say it was crap, I think "The Background World" and "This isn't the place" are fantastic songs. Right up there with his pre-With Teeth material. I guess I was just expecting something a little more after the greatness that NTAE was and with a title like "Add Violence". The Key takeaway here is, never under-estimate Trent to follow a formula. He does what he wants, and I think that's what makes NIN such a great project/band. Every release he trys to try something new, while still keeping it distinctive enough to know that it's a NIN song you're listening too.

I feel like there are 2 types of NIN fans. There are the ones that want HARD/FAST/BRUTAL NIN and there are the ones that want CALM/SLOW/MELODIC/EXPERIMENTAL NIN. Both are good, depending in your mood, but if I had to put myself in one or the other category, I would probably place myself in the harder category. I like my NIN songs to punch me in the face rather than to put me asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    This is like Driver Down with vocals and without the heavy guitars.
    Hmm... well I can get behind that then. I think Driver Down is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    7. Did I mention the saxophone?
    So, saxophone coming on tour then? Wonder who will play it, lol.
    Maybe Driver Down will get incorporated into the setlist too. Could you folks imagine if The Perfect Drug and Driver Down both get played at this upcoming shows! Damn...
    There's my mind running wild again, I should stop.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I don't even but I like it. Sounds like so many things.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrizzy89 View Post
    Why can't I open this on my mac?! Can someone dm me or email me the mp3?
    Download the app Keka. You need an application that will accept a password for ZIPs and the OSX standard Archive Utility won't let you.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minusthesnake View Post
    My hero!!!
    @TheBang is our hero here.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @ManBurning read @streetman 's later posts after he listened to it again on better headphones. spoiler - he loves it, now.

just...listen to the song and not what other people are saying about it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I actually really, really really like this new song. It definitely evokes a Lost Highway/late 90's Bowie vibe. I bet it's even better with headphones.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

God Break Down the Door - first single

General coolness:

1. Hearing a new song by a band you've been following for 25 years and going, "huh, that's different."
    This is the strangest aspect of this song. I mean, yes, it has some strong similarities to Bowie's Blackstar and to a lesser degree Trent's "Driver Down," but it's totally unexpected for NIN. Except that I imagined the music would be unusual for them due to the song titles and aesthetic.

We've been privileged to witness this NINaissance. Which either starts with this trilogy (the popular opinion) or maybe even with Hesitation Marks (the controversial take).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Anyone here from Australia/New Zealand? A dude is claiming he got an official download of God Break Down The Door and shared a 320kbps MP3. UKers/Europeans, keep your eyes open.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    This scares me a bit. Would you say it is better or worse than "Everything" as I know a lot of people said the same thing with that song.
    Nothing is worse than "Everything"..That song sounded like a full on pop NIN as covered by Blink 182 or Good Charlotte type of shit....This song musically definitely goes into some Lost Highway cool electronic vibes..Its just the vocals are Trent doing his best post 1995 Bowie style crooning....Some may dig it, some may not..But at least its not candy bubble gum pop shit like 'Everything'

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    After cranking it on the A2s I take back all my negative/doubtful comments. This has won me over. NIN never fails to surprise and also deliver. Fucking badass.
    Hey I was just curious what kind of speakers you own? Would they happen to be A2's? I wasn't sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's back up on NIN's YT channel:
    Last edited by mikeyjt; 05-16-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Hey I was just curious what kind of speakers you own? Would they happen to be A2's? I wasn't sure.
    Yup. A2's. I first listened to this on my shitty iPhone headphones and had mixed feelings. Then I hooked it up to the A2's and it's a whole different experience (and remember this is still a bootleg). If this is one of the slower/more moody tracks like THE LOVERS was for AV I can only imagine what the rest has to offer; going to be insane.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    “Everything” is my fave track on HM, no word a lie

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I totally understand why people don't like it (god forbid something be "poppy"), but I think most people miss the point that it's a straight up early 80s sounding new wave track a la many of Trent's influences. No where near my favorite song on HM, but I too quite enjoy it.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    @ManBurning read @streetman 's later posts after he listened to it again on better headphones. spoiler - he loves it, now.

just...listen to the song and not what other people are saying about it.
    I just loaded it up and very quickly jumped to the middle of the track to hear a snippet.
    Yes, sounds like the other clip from the other song. Lots of fast "perfect Drug" type drumming. Tons of saxophone.
    I can see all the comparisons to Driver Down.

I don't think I'm going to hate this song as much as some other people here are making it out to be, but I also don't know if I am going to love it either.
    From what I heard, very different NIN. Sounds like it belongs on Lost Highway for sure. Defiantly has a Bowie vibe to it.

Now, I'm going to try and just wait it out to hear it live. But sounds like this record is going to have this kind of sound to it.
    It's now or never for The Perfect Drug to make it's live debut. I just hope it doesn't debut in Vegas once and then disappears from the setlist forever.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    This is the strangest aspect of this song. I mean, yes, it has some strong similarities to Bowie's Blackstar and to a lesser degree Trent's "Driver Down," but it's totally unexpected for NIN. Except that I imagined the music would be unusual for them due to the song titles and aesthetic.

We've been privileged to witness this NINaissance. Which either starts with this trilogy (the popular opinion) or maybe even with Hesitation Marks (the controversial take).
    I think the post-Fragile era led us to start believing all NIN was going to sound roughly the same. Every album has major exceptions (All The Love In The World, My Violent Heart, Demon Seed, etc.), but there's been a lot of "safe" NIN since 2005, even if the overall sound of the albums has been drastically different. Hesitation Marks was a pretty new sound for the band, but most of the songs were verse-chorus-verse-chorus followed by a bridge and/or long outro. So far the trilogy has had some of that (NIN always does), but as you stated, we seem to finally be getting NIN that challenges us like it used to in the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Nothing is worse than "Everything"
    Everything > The Hand That Feeds, The Beginning of the End, Capital G, Came Back Haunted, Less Than, I Ghosts 6, Not So Pretty Now, Deep, 1,000,000, Letting You...

Fight me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I probably wouldn't like it as much if it wasn't for the sax.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I think this is the noisiest NIN track since "Theme for Tetsuo the Bullet Man". It's raw and ominous but somehow melodic, and those bubbly analogue basslines are giving me life! If this is actually the first single, I can't imagine how unendurably harsh and brutal the rest of the album is. Cannot. Fucking. Wait.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I totally understand why people don't like it (god forbid something be "poppy"), but I think most people miss the point that it's a straight up early 80s sounding new wave track a la many of Trent's influences. No where near my favorite song on HM, but I too quite enjoy it.
    I like the instrumental version. But his vocals ruin the song for me. Which is odd saying that. Normally I don't like the instrumentals as much and want to hear Trent's voice/singing/words but I find the song is much better without the vocals.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Everything > The Hand That Feeds, The Beginning of the End, Capital G, Came Back Haunted, Less Than, I Ghosts 6, Not So Pretty Now, Deep, 1,000,000, Letting You...

Fight me.
    So glad I'm not the only person who despises "Ghosts 6". It makes my skin crawl. I disagree with most of the rest of your list but I see where you're coming from.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I like the instrumental version. But his vocals ruin the song for me. Which is odd saying that. Normally I don't like the instrumentals as much and want to hear Trent's voice/singing/words but I find the song is much better without the vocals.
    If he screamed or shouted the lyrics, it would be a much better song. I have no issues with the music, just the horrid high pitched vocal take

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    So glad I'm not the only person who despises "Ghosts 6". It makes my skin crawl.
    whoa, what? what's wrong with y'all? i love that song! it has always made me think of the myst games, for some reason...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Any way to be able to play this on an iPhone? My computer isn’t working ��

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    There's something to that because at the end of the song it's his regular vocals. So I'm sure that "horrid high pitched vocal take" has a reason in the larger narrative of the album.
    It was originally recorded for a greatest hits album, so it doesnt really fit into any narrative from HM. It was basically tacked on there

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    It was originally recorded for a greatest hits album, so it doesnt really fit into any narrative from HM. It was basically tacked on there
    My mistake. I didn't know Everything was being referenced lol

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Seriously, that was fucking good. I definitely hear elements of late-era Bowie in that song and I hope Trent hires a saxophonist or something for that song to be played live.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My word, this is wonderful.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I wonder if Trent is singing in this ethereal way for the majority of this song because he's addressing GOD in a mocking "heavenly" manner lol. I don't know where the fuck this is going and that's why it's great!