Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Trent Synth sounds questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trent Synth sounds questions.

To all you NiN fans that are also synth players..

I know what kind he uses and the different effects/processes he uses on his synths tracks...and im not trying to copy him.

But...I recently acquired a Korg MS20 and I was wondering if anyone out there’s had any experience using these...and if so if they had any patches/settings that work for getting NiN type sounds/tones.

Many thanks in advance. Been a fan for 15yrs but just now found this forum...it’s amazing.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RroseSelavy View Post
    To all you NiN fans that are also synth players..

I know what kind he uses and the different effects/processes he uses on his synths tracks...and im not trying to copy him.

But...I recently acquired a Korg MS20 and I was wondering if anyone out there’s had any experience using these...and if so if they had any patches/settings that work for getting NiN type sounds/tones.

Many thanks in advance. Been a fan for 15yrs but just now found this forum...it’s amazing.
    Welcome! Hope you like ARGs...

Regarding your Korg, I’d say just follow Reznor’s mandate whenever he gets a new piece of equipment: fuck around until you get a sound you like.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Not sure about the Korg but there is a good thread about NIN synth sounds over at Gearslutz that Charlie Clouser dropped in on and provided some interesting insights.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...ls-synths.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have an MS-20 as well. There are several sounds on Hesitation Marks that are from an MS-20. Although I can't help you right now with the settings, the one in "Copy of A" is not as difficult to figure out as some of the other weirder sounds. Let this site be your friend: http://20patch.constructingtowers.com/patches

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Not sure about the Korg but there is a good thread about NIN synth sounds over at Gearslutz that Charlie Clouser dropped in on and provided some interesting insights.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...ls-synths.html
    Man, that's fucking PRICELESS. Charlie is cool as shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn’t know that but that’s odd about HM. I know it was used a lot on HTDA. I found It odd that Trent doesn’t talk about The MS20 very much.
    Last edited by RroseSelavy; 03-19-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    don't remember where I've readen that, but I thought that TRez hate the MS20 and that Alessandro and MaryQ love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I’ve never heard Trent say anything bad about the MS20 and as far as I know the one MQ used was his.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eferre View Post
    don't remember where I've readen that, but I thought that TRez hate the MS20 and that Alessandro and MaryQ love it.
    On the Austin City Limits show, you can see Alessandro using it on Copy of A, All Time Low, and While I'm Still Here. I don't know if Trent used it on the album but I don't know why Alessandro would use it instead of something like a Moog or whatever Trent could have used. The MS-20 has a specific signature sound.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Off topic but tangentally related. I've desperately wanted to know how he made some of those bassline patches in Happiness in Slavery, Burn, his Megadeth remix. They all have a similar bass tone that just oozes 90's industrial and I WANT to throw it in somewhere. In that case, my best guess is that they come form an ARP Odyssey patch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    On the Austin City Limits show, you can see Alessandro using it on Copy of A, All Time Low, and While I'm Still Here. I don't know if Trent used it on the album but I don't know why Alessandro would use it instead of something like a Moog or whatever Trent could have used. The MS-20 has a specific signature sound.
    Trent must like the MS20 to some degree to have it used on some NIN and HTDA songs.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    Off topic but tangentally related. I've desperately wanted to know how he made some of those bassline patches in Happiness in Slavery, Burn, his Megadeth remix. They all have a similar bass tone that just oozes 90's industrial and I WANT to throw it in somewhere. In that case, my best guess is that they come form an ARP Odyssey patch.
    Korg MS2000B

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Welcome! Hope you like ARGs...

Regarding your Korg, I’d say just follow Reznor’s mandate whenever he gets a new piece of equipment: fuck around until you get a sound you like.

Good luck!
    ... then sample that sound, and pitch shift it down so it starts aliasing and having other artifacts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I luckily scored a MXR Carbon Copy Analog delay Pedal for 50$ yesterday. I can’t even begin to explain the change of character of the sound of the MS20. Such an amazing delay pedal. Definitely easier now to get the tones I was looking for.
    Last edited by RroseSelavy; 04-02-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Korg MS2000B

Thats more the lead saw synth sound, but damn cool nonetheless. Kinda wish I hadn’t sold my MS2000 now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That’s an awesome video. I’ve been trying trying to play The Hand That Feeds using a duophonic patch but it doesn’t sounds quite right since I believe that was done on an ARP
    Last edited by RroseSelavy; 04-02-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    Thats more the lead saw synth sound, but damn cool nonetheless. Kinda wish I hadn’t sold my MS2000 now...
    Im convinced that the bass sound in the chorus of HIS is an actual bass.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    That’s an awesome video. I’ve been trying trying to play The Hand That Feeds using a duophonic patch but it doesn’t sounds quite right since I believe that was done on an ARP
    Yeah, you need the Arp's osc sync to get the sound you're hearing on THTF.

I too got rid of my MS2000, but in a trade for a JP-08 w/ mini keyboard. The moment I plugged headphones into the JP-08 I knew I had made the right decision, except that it ultimately cost me more money because I kept buying Roland Boutiques. I've got the TB-03 and the SH-01a. I think I'm done, though.

Anyway, the bass in Happiness in Slavery is definitely an overdriven electric bass, not a synthesizer. There might be a sustained bass synth note during the verses, but it's so noisy in there that it's hard to really tell what's going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just ordered a Digitech DigiVerb to go with my Carbon Copy Delay. I can’t wait to hear the combination.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just ordered a Digitech DigiVerb to go with my Carbon Copy Delay. I can’t wait to hear the combination.
    How is the Carbon Copy working for you?

I have a Boss DD-3, and while I like it for some situations, it sounds kinda artificial on a guitar for just straight rock.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I always wondered what main synth sound for That's What I Get was made with. It sounds like a Moog combined with something else. The demo version definitively uses a Moog. People have suggested that it's from the Prophet but it is unlike any sounds I have heard come out of that synth.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I always wondered what main synth sound for That's What I Get was made with. It sounds like a Moog combined with something else. The demo version definitively uses a Moog. People have suggested that it's from the Prophet but it is unlike any sounds I have heard come out of that synth.
    Could be the Oberheim Xpander...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    The new Behringer Model D Moog clone dials in a good sound for Closer.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    The new Behringer Model D Moog clone dials in a good sound for Closer.
    That was much better than I expected. Not quite as good as the demo I saw on the Novation Peak.

I read ages and ages ago that the bassline on Closer is also run through a MuTron III, and I think it's that added element that's missing from the Behringer demo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It is amazing. Definitely my favorite delay pedal I’ve ever had had. I used to have a DD-5 and liked it at first but once i started using analog delay I never went back. It works perfectly on my KORG and my Jazzmaster.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    As per Sean Beavan, the bass synth on Closer is an Akai sample.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...h-nails-closer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just read an interview with Cortini where he stated that the MS20 is used on a lot of the songs on Hesitation Marks...so Trent must definitely like it.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I'm going to go with a Roland Juno-106 sampled with an Emax, and then Turbosynth.

Regardless of the synth used, I think the key here is it's a sample.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    This list may not be not 100% accurate, since it's user-contributed, but may solve a lot of your questions.

Also, sometimes we submit instrument info on NINwiki, and some of the instruments that were sold during the 2009-2010 ebay auctions came with information on which songs they were used. Some of the multitracks for various songs have titles that may allude to the presets or samples used for a particular instrument.

Addictive Drums was used on Discipline and a factory preset of Battery was used on The Four of Us Are Dying. He also likes Vokator, Kontakt and Absynth.

As for the effects, Trent said in a recent YouTube interview that he uses SoundToys plugins a lot. An emulation of Metasonix's Fucking Fucker is available as a free Reaktor add-on, as is one of Musonics Mutator (Native Instruments account required, also free). This article mentions a lot of the plugins used on With Teeth. And the Great Destroyer "explosion" is ESX24.