Page 128 of 264 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 178 228 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,840 of 7891

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    but its a festival
    Is 7 bands per day playing 1 stage on a football field ran by a ticket scalper company really considered a "festival"? I guess if you want to charge $500 per ticket you'd have to call it that...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenly_bearded View Post
    Is 7 bands per day playing 1 stage on a football field ran by a ticket scalper company really considered a "festival"? I guess if you want to charge $500 per ticket you'd have to call it that...
    Well, music event then?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Has anyone ever actually made die eier von Satan?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Has anyone ever actually made die eier von Satan?
    https://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=498

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So I finally got through Undertow (new Tool fan, taking it slow). Disgustipated is crazy. First, I learned that Reverend Maynard was from Tool...I assumed it was just a Puscifer thing. Second, all I hear in my head now is "This is necessary." Maynard sounds so dominant.... Third, the crickets are, in fact, nice when high (I read some song comments after...that seemed to be a theme). Fourth, the end is weird. I was certain the guy at the end was going to kill those people walking.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Would take back alot of my negativity about modern live Tool if they brought Disgustipated back.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Undertow dint really hook me until like 5 years ago (been a Tool fan since 97 too).

Bottom and Crawl Away are my personal favorites.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Getting the 2 day pass for Chicago Open Air tomorrow, really excited for this! So many good bands I dont know where to start! (except for the VASTLY overrated In This Moment, but its a festival and I had to sit through the similarly overrated Halestorm at Rock USA this last summer, you have to take the bad with the good!)
    I really want to go just Sunday for The Prodigy and Tool but don't think I can get Monday of work for traveling home.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_NIN65 View Post
    I really want to go just Sunday for The Prodigy and Tool but don't think I can get Monday of work for traveling home.
    I have never seen System of a Down, Ghost or The Prodigy, and the last time I saw Tool was when they were touring for their (at the time) most recent album 2006's 10,000 Days.

Hey wait a minute, that's still their most recent record!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've seen them all but The Prodigy, I was never a System fan but seen them at Ozzfest 2006 for free thanks to the local radio station. I seen Ghost back in 2016 and they were great. I regret not seeing them back in October again, I could have got 10 dollar tickets but just didn't feel like having a 4 hour round trip that night.
    Last edited by bryan_NIN65; 12-30-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinspots View Post
    So I finally got through Undertow (new Tool fan, taking it slow). Disgustipated is crazy. First, I learned that Reverend Maynard was from Tool...I assumed it was just a Puscifer thing. Second, all I hear in my head now is "This is necessary." Maynard sounds so dominant.... Third, the crickets are, in fact, nice when high (I read some song comments after...that seemed to be a theme). Fourth, the end is weird. I was certain the guy at the end was going to kill those people walking.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    That little story at the end is mesmerising. And, yeah, it’s implied that he plans on killing them.

More info about it here, F32:

http://toolshed.down.net/faq/faq.html

F32. Where'd that little story at the end of "Disgustipated" come from?
    Notice how it sounds like someone leaving a message on an answering machine? Seems Maynard's landlord called and left that message. Hence the liner notes' credit: "phone message: bill the landlord."

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    That little story at the end is mesmerising. And, yeah, it’s implied that he plans on killing them.

More info about it here, F32:

http://toolshed.down.net/faq/faq.html

F32. Where'd that little story at the end of "Disgustipated" come from?
    Notice how it sounds like someone leaving a message on an answering machine? Seems Maynard's landlord called and left that message. Hence the liner notes' credit: "phone message: bill the landlord."
    I thought it was Message to Harry Manback that originated from an answering machine message... are both?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I thought it was Message to Harry Manback that originated from an answering machine message... are both?
    Both are. MtHM is supposedly someone who crashed with a band member and overstayed their welcome and/or took advantage of their accommodations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post

G39. Is "Message to Harry Manback" an actual phone message?

Yep, someone left someone a threat. Yes, they actually meant it as a threat. So no, it wasn't concocted by the band. (Though the piano part was obviously added in to make it sound more like a love poem).

G40. OK, so who was that message for? Who is Harry Manback?

Danny had this to say about it in some interview:
    "Message to Harry Manback is a recording of the words of an uninvited Italian guest who came to Maynard's house one day. A so-called friend of a friend of a friend of Harry's .... Before we finally managed to figure out that nobody really knew him, he had already emptied the fridge and run up a huge phone bill. He got kicked out of the house."

Harry Manback is a pseudonym for the real recipient of the message, presumably a past roommate of Maynard's: Hotsy Menshot of Green Jello.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    This was a very informative and fun to read FAQ, but I'm sad it wasn't updated to include the 10,000 days era.

If I'm not mistaken, Ticks and Leeches has been played live since as well. That FAQ needs major updating.
    Still a fun read.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    This was a very informative and fun to read FAQ, but I'm sad it wasn't updated to include the 10,000 days era.

If I'm not mistaken, Ticks and Leeches has been played live since as well. That FAQ needs major updating.
    Still a fun read.
    Yeah, that'll never happen. I think Kabir has completely retired that site and just keeps it up for archival purposes. That page was an amazing resource back in the day.

Ticks was even played back in 2001 I thought, so that is incredibly outdated

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Ticks was played at the show I attended in Toledo back in 2012. Don’t know if it was a staple during that mini run though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Ticks and Leeches started making appearances once Maynard used the megaphone more.

The FAQ badly needs updating but afaik Kabir has publicly stated that Toolshed will no longer be updated.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Ticks and Leeches started making appearances once Maynard used the megaphone more.

The FAQ badly needs updating but afaik Kabir has publicly stated that Toolshed will no longer be updated.

I loved that FAQ back in the day, even printed a copy at the school library lol

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I loved that FAQ back in the day, even printed a copy at the school library lol
    If anyone ever felt up to it, I’m sure this thread could crowd source an update.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Speaking which, I remember first getting into Tool and being worried it was some weird cult (turns out yes but not the way I was afraid of). The FAQ assured me they were just a solid band with fun members and a sense of humor mixed with an interest in the occult.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Speaking which, I remember first getting into Tool and being worried it was some weird cult (turns out yes but not the way I was afraid of). The FAQ assured me they were just a solid band with fun members and a sense of humor mixed with an interest in the occult.

I felt that way about Ghost (who very quickly grew to be one of my favorite bands), but I wasn't too concerned that Tool was anything more than a very mysterious band (Disgustipated creeped the hell out of me, though). I was honestly more apprehensive about NIN and Marilyn Manson when I first got into them (in 97 and 98, respectively). Anyway, I remember reading that FAQ from Toolshed and printing it out in my high school media center/library, too. That thing has been around for eons (heh).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting. I've read portions of it a few times now. There's so much info out there, given how long the band has been around. It's somewhat overwhelming but fascinating to dig into it (as a new fan). I am surprised, given how obsessive (for lack of a better word) Tool superfans seem to be, that I have not seen a toolshed v2 by someone else that picks up where that one left off. Even though there obviously have not been many new albums...there seems to be a ton of interviews, etc. (even last years music clinics) that produced a lot of information about various songs that should be compiled somewhere in one place.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting. I've read portions of it a few times now. There's so much info out there, given how long the band has been around. It's somewhat overwhelming but fascinating to dig into it (as a new fan). I am surprised, given how obsessive (for lack of a better word) Tool superfans seem to be, that I have not seen a toolshed v2 by someone else that picks up where that one left off. Even though there obviously have not been many new albums...there seems to be a ton of interviews, etc. (even last years music clinics) that produced a lot of information about various songs that should be compiled somewhere in one place.
    Fourth Eye seems to be the closest anyone’s come.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Toolshed reddit has a lot of stuff.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm sure that everyone has seen this already but...hopefully (finally) out before the summer!

https://www.spin.com/2019/01/tool-ne...cals-recorded/

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I'm sure that everyone has seen this already but...hopefully (finally) out before the summer!

https://www.spin.com/2019/01/tool-ne...cals-recorded/
    I’m not a betting man but if were I’d bet it would come out before their minitour.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I spun up the Tool Hotline but discovered Fourth Eye around that time, and felt like they did an ample job of filling in where toolshed fell by the wayside.

Also Tool hasn't released an album in 13 years. Interviews about things that never happen stop being interesting after a while. I stopped updating my Tool site aeons ago, and I think I let the tool hotline domain expire last year. I think if I continue to say anything on the subject, it's not going to be positive, so why go into that?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The only thing that bugs me about Maynard's tweet is that new Puscifer in 2020 seems to suggest a very short life cycle for the new Tool album. Album, festival tour, maybe North American fall tour... and that's it? It just feels like after 13 years of waiting, Tool should come back in a big, bad way. I know they've been playing shows all this time, so it's not like they've been completely absent, but still.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Puscifer can still be a summer/fall 2020 release with a fall 2020 tour. He usually goes on tour in the fall with puscifer anyway. I'm not too concerned. The tool tour will extend into Q1/Q2 2020 then he'll get a quick break to put finishing touches on puscifer and deal with his wine in the summer/early fall before heading out again with puscifer. I ain't worried. Besides, all these guys are getting older now. Doubt they want to do massive 2 yr long tours like they've done in the past anyway. I'm surprised Maynard has as much gumption in him as he does at his age, he's in his mid 50s and it doesn't show, he shows no signs of slowing down.