Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    2 days away!!!! 2 days! Hell yeah. Just got the email with M&G Details and sounds awesome.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Got the email too.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    Gary posted that the band is going to be different for the NZ/AUS tour. You know anything Ryan? I assume they just couldn't go all that way with Gary and this is temporary? I really liked the band he had together. Real sad Ade won't be there.

Steve Harris Guitar, Tim Slade Bass, Frank Zummo Drums, Josh Giroux Keys

Have any of these guys aside from Steve toured with Gary before?
    They all have except for Josh, who previously worked on the art direction for Splinter. The actual keyboard parts on this tour are quite simple, it's the way Ade has them programmed that makes that huge noise. I assume this will remain the same.

These will be Tim Slade's first Numan gigs outside the UK. Hope they are good ones!
    Last edited by botley; 05-21-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Nice, I noticed Tim Muddiman is working/touring with PWEI so that explains why he couldn't make the tour.

Tomorrow!!!! Can't wait!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Gary was super awesome. The promo CD is early version of here in the black. Was only 3 VIP meeters here in NZ. Was very intimate. They sound checked pure, metal, the calling and love hurt bleed

Set list had no surprises; same as last bunch.
    Last edited by voidnz; 05-23-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So this arrived yesterday, it sounds bloody fantastic.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Nice. I was listening to the 'remastered' Sacrifice the other day (from The Numa Years box set) and it wasn't as bad-sounding as I remembered. They should definitely reissue it, just needs a little audio spit-polish to make it shine.
    Last edited by botley; 05-24-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Nice. I was listening to the 'remastered' Sacrifice the other day (from The Numa Years box set) and it wasn't as bad-sounding as I remembered. They should definitely reissue it, just needs a little audio spit-polish to make it shine.
    But just a little, because these days remastering means make it as loud as possible with disregard of dynamics (Loudness War).

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Meeting Gary for the third time this Saturday!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
    But just a little, because these days remastering means make it as loud as possible with disregard of dynamics (Loudness War).
    I don't know how many CDs you have bought in the last ten years, but it's not so bad as that anymore. The Beggars remasters of Gary's early albums sound terrific.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Are there any specific questions you'd like me to ask him on Saturday?

Last time we spoke I asked him about Sacrifice and he mentioned a remaster was being "talked about," at least. I'll re-prompt him on that one.
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-26-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sounds good, I'd definitely push for a Sacrifice remaster. I'd be as excited for that (if not more) as I am for the Fragile reissue.

Also, I've always been curious about this 'novel' he's been working on for what must be over a decade now. I think he mentions it in his autobiography and I've seen it brought up in interviews as an inspiration for lyrics on Dead Son Rising and possible Exile. You could ask him about that? No pressure though, let us know how it goes! I'm considering paying for the meet & greet when I see him play in June.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Could someone recommend some Numan albums to me?

I keep wanting to get into him more, having seen how rabid his fanbase is, and in general being aware of his quality/influence. I got to see him open for NIN last year in Orlando and loved it; I bought Splinter and really enjoyed it; I also have The Pleasure Principle and Telekon and enjoy both quite a bit, and because of the NIN show fell in love with We Take Mystery (to Bed). I know I like the song Down in the Park, too.

But from there I have no idea where to go. The guy has a huge discography, and some really clearly distinct stylistic differences over the years. Can anyone point me in the right direction, considering what I've enjoyed?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post

I keep wanting to get into him more, having seen how rabid his fanbase is, and in general being aware of his quality/influence. I got to see him open for NIN last year in Orlando and loved it; I bought Splinter and really enjoyed it; I also have The Pleasure Principle and Telekon and enjoy both quite a bit, and because of the NIN show fell in love with We Take Mystery (to Bed). I know I like the song Down in the Park, too.

But from there I have no idea where to go. The guy has a huge discography, and some really clearly distinct stylistic differences over the years. Can anyone point me in the right direction, considering what I've enjoyed?
    Exile: a concept album that god and the devil are one and the same:

The title track below is the last song -

I heard it in my sleep
    A voice more dead than old
    I thought I'd known the fear
    But then it touched my soul and said:

"You will pray for me
    Bow your head to me."

It came for me at night
    And took me dream by dream
    To where everything is dark
    And no one hears you scream
    Took everything I loved
    And turned love into pain
    It said "I'm the prophecy
    And I'll make you believe in me."

"Sacrifice for me
    Be humility."

It said:
    "I'll make everyone pay
    I'll make everyone pay
    Some things you can't forget
    I'll make everyone pay
    Some things you can't forgive
    I'll make everyone pay."

"And so it comes to this
    Death or eternity?
    Or would you like to pay
    For all humanity?
    Do you believe in faith?
    Then choose. Heaven or Hell or me?"

A shadow on the sane
    The final treachery of God.

"You will kneel for me
    Lose your eyes for me."

"Betray the world for me
    Burn your soul for me."

It said:
    "I'll make everyone pay
    I'll make everyone pay
    Some things you can't forget
    I'll make everyone pay
    Some things you can't forgive
    I'll make everyone pay."
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-27-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

telekon has always been my favorite album. i had vague knowledge of gary because of trent's cover of Metal and i'd always loved Cars. i was in a resale clothing shop when i was 14 and telekon was on, and i completely fell in love with it. i'd start there, but that's just me.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    telekon has always been my favorite album. i had vague knowledge of gary because of trent's cover of Metal and i'd always loved Cars. i was in a resale clothing shop when i was 14 and telekon was on, and i completely fell in love with it. i'd start there, but that's just me.

In my OP I said "I also have The Pleasure Principle and Telekon and enjoy both quite a bit," but thanks nevertheless! Also @Ryan : I really enjoyed Exile, any other albums with that style?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    In my OP I said "I also have The Pleasure Principle and Telekon and enjoy both quite a bit," but thanks nevertheless! Also @Ryan : I really enjoyed Exile, any other albums with that style?
    Sacrifice, Pure, Hybrid, Jagged, Jagged Edge, Dead Son Rising

Slave from Jagged -

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'd try Pure next and then Jagged. Both amazing albums start to end.

Kinda gutted no Jagged songs get played any more, Haunted is possibly my favorite Numan song and is epic live and doesn't get played. I figure I wouldn't ask him why he doesn't play any because he has a pretty big back catalog and I do love the songs he plays anyway.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ack, sorry! my brain must have completely overlooked it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions; I really enjoyed Jagged and am planning on checking out Pure next; I'm actually listening to Dead Son Rising at the moment, and the title track is probably one of my favorite Numan songs I've heard. I don't know what it is about it but it's just incredible to my ears.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Picked up Telekon a few days ago, looking forward to finally listening to it

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions; I really enjoyed Jagged and am planning on checking out Pure next; I'm actually listening to Dead Son Rising at the moment, and the title track is probably one of my favorite Numan songs I've heard. I don't know what it is about it but it's just incredible to my ears.
    It's another song taken from the sci fantasy novel he's been working on for years. He explained what it's about and I'm not going to get this 100% right, but from what I remember the song is about this race of beings on some planet and some enemy has come and wiped them all out, except some of the young babies survived and the ghosts of the ones killed are looking after them and keeping them alive. Look up the lyrics on Google and it will make a bit more sense.

Note the album is called Dead SON Rising as it is an album of songs that didn't make it to previous records but were heavily reworked and made into a new album. The song title is Dead SUN Rising, referencing the planet talked about in the song itself. The original working title of the album was Resurrection.

Get Dead Moon Falling as well. Remix record.

There is also an online only mix of the title track available online, a piano version and an early version. Check the Wikipedia article for it.
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-28-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Off the top of my head, songs with lyrics plucked from the novel are:

Big Noise Transmission
    When The Sky Bleeds, He Will Come
    Dead Sun Rising
    I Am Dust
    Love Hurt Bleed
    We're The Unforgiven

edit: though lyric-less, I think Into Battle is also associated.
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-28-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    @kleiner352 - you must listen to Ancients!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @Ryan : Wow, why hasn't this been recommended sooner?! Guess I'm off to listen to Hybrid today.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    It's basically an album of reworked and more industrialised versions of older songs. Ancients was a new song for the time it was released.

There are also two alternate versions, Ancients (Early Version) and All I Know.

You should also check out For You from Dead Moon Falling, another original non album song like Ancients.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Numan tonight!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Absolutely amazing show last night.

Recorded it all in HD from front row, center.

Got Gary to write the omitted lyrics that you can hear in the demo of The Calling down for me because they are so beautiful.

Also got him to sign the Exile vinyl.

Pics (video of the show to come) -

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)