Page 43 of 101 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I just realized this is the first album to come out since Chi passed.........I feel like that's gotta mean something.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Was hoping I'd wake up to find @eversonpoe and @Space Suicide on here gushing their load over this leak, but if @Wretchedest is saying this album is weird as fuck, then that's good enough
    haha, i never download leaks, actually. and most of the time i wait for a physical copy so i can listen on vinyl before i listen on digital.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My own 2c but for me this album reminds me a lot of palms, still deftones of course but the atmospheric soundscapes remind me of that record, and that's not a bad thing of course

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I will now forever associate this record with getting high and watching someone else petsit on the internet.

Flamingos

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Everyone - stop posting asking for a PM. It's 2016 and I know you guys know how to search for a torrent. Jesus.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This isn't only in relation to Gore but I find their artwork choices very cool and eclectic. Every album speaks volumes through their booklets and visual aesthetics alone. I dig the Flamingo cover. Probably my favorite album cover since Around the Fur, to be honest.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Like, wtf was Kendrick thinking with that bland vomit-green cover to unmastered? A total heresy to great music
    Wait what?? That artwork was a GREAT representation of the album. It's called "untitled unmastered." They are literally unfinished demos. By including a "bland" cover, is in itself representing unfinished artwork. And the darkness and uneasiness of that actual "bland" square also represents the slightly darker tone that the album has. I figured that was pretty self explanatory, honestly.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Went a few pages back and didn't see this posted. This artwork official? Because I love it. Listening to the album now, up to Hearts/Wires and for me, it seems like a mixture of everything they have done in terms of sound. I feel as if I can take each track and stick it onto an album in the past and it would fit just fine.

Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 04-03-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This may be their best album yet...pretty incredible and varied.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Okay, so after my first listen through, it is definitely "Deftones". I am certainly not blown away... it just sounds like Deftones to me. I was expecting a much more diverted sound from them this time around, but for me, it sounds like everything they have touched upon in the past. Just first impressions though .

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I like what I'm hearing here. I'm gonna try to wait for a FLAC or 320 rip, but its really tempting to just listen to the vinyl rip.

To those who heard it, is the vinyl rip very good, or would you say wait?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I usually like a FLAC rip but this time I bit the bullet to hear it early. My way of thinking is if it sounds decent now, imagine how much better it will be on Friday. I think it was worth it. Makes the wait a little less painful.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Phantom is like the new Beware. It starts really pretty..........but man the ending.......holy shit.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like Deftones finally released their "Covers" collection digitally, lossless a plus!
    I'll be picking up Gore in 24/96

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is there a legit 320kbps version out yet? The album is great so far, this quality is really bringing me down tho.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I dug Acid Hologram on first listen. It works well as a changeup from the pace of Prayers/Triangles. The main riff is straight bliss, a huge shadow that just appears. Hypnotic feels. Think something from self-titled and Diamond Eyes. The song reaches from basking doom quality to bits of strange.
    Last edited by Amaro; 04-03-2016 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I still get shivers remembering that time when I first listened to the Diamond Eyes leak and it had that horrible Google Chat "blunk" sound in "You've Seen The Butcher" (that damn torrent is probably still circulating, for fuck's sake). I waited for a proper version of Koi No Yokan and it had paid off; even more so when the 24/96 version was released, because it was one of the rare cases where a modern album actually had a diferent mastering in the 24-bit version. Less compressed than the CD, no clipping or distortion, and still beautifully loud as fuck. The only other recent instance of this that I remember is Weezer's Everything Will Be Alright in the End (Hesitation Marks' "audiophile" version was pretty eh). Every other new album that's released in 24-bit (on HDTracks, Qobuz etc.) is taken from the same masters as the CDs and there is no goddamn difference in sound quality. If the master is shit, it will sound shit in 16/44 AND 24/48 or 96 or 192 or 3495837 or whatevs.

Okay, enough audiophile ranting from me. I hope that Gore's 24-bit release will sound just as awesome as KNY's. And I know for a fact @neorev is with me on this one!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I still get shivers remembering that time when I first listened to the Diamond Eyes leak and it had that horrible Google Chat "blunk" sound in "You've Seen The Butcher" (that damn torrent is probably still circulating, for fuck's sake). I waited for a proper version of Koi No Yokan and it had paid off; even more so when the 24/96 version was released, because it was one of the rare cases where a modern album actually had a diferent mastering in the 24-bit version. Less compressed than the CD, no clipping or distortion, and still beautifully loud as fuck. The only other recent instance of this that I remember is Weezer's Everything Will Be Alright in the End (Hesitation Marks' "audiophile" version was pretty eh). Every other new album that's released in 24-bit (on HDTracks, Qobuz etc.) is taken from the same masters as the CDs and there is no goddamn difference in sound quality. If the master is shit, it will sound shit in 16/44 AND 24/48 or 96 or 192 or 3495837 or whatevs.

Okay, enough audiophile ranting from me. I hope that Gore's 24-bit release will sound just as awesome as KNY's. And I know for a fact @neorev is with me on this one!
    I agree 1,000,000% @wizfan
    KNY 24 bit is fucking great!

A shitty rip or inferior quality can seriously destroy the atmosphere of a track. I stay far, far away from MP3 whenever I can... even 320kbps. I feel MP3 compression can suck the soul out of music. I'm not gonna try and be some audio snob, but it's what I hear. It's not like we hear some mystery sounds or anything, it's just picking up on what MP3 compression does to certain frequencies and the instruments occupying that space. But MP3 does suck out a lot of what gives the track a sense of occupying a space. Atmospheric stuff, room and spatial effects are the first to go. Then it begins to attack low and high frequencies, crushing and squeezing the fullness out of basslines and creating harsher sounding frequencies around the cymbals/hi hats.

Compression with music is like moving out of your house into a storage unit. Would you rather have a 10x10 space to give all of your possessions room to sit nicely spread out and not be damaged or have to squeeze, stack, and crush everything into a smaller 5x10 space and having to throw out possessions that you would prefer to keep but sadly have no room to store?

Don't get me wrong, a shit mix and master cannot be saved even if its 32 fucking bit. Sadly, the loudness war is to blame for that. But one done properly, 24 bit audio does wonders to experience that mix and master. 24 bit vs 16 bit vs 320kbps MP3 is like 4K vs Blu-ray vs VHS (nope, not even DVD). People go out and want the biggest and clearest TV with the loudest sound system with the most speakers yet still listen to music as an MP3. I can see back in the day when memory was a big deal and expensive, but not anymore. I wish more people treated experiencing music the way they want to experience a movie. I want to hear my music as close to as it sounds to being their at the mixing board in the studio. But that's just me. To each their own.

As a music lover and a musician/producer, I'm very passionate about audio quality and the listening experience. I'm also a sucker for beautiful packaging, which is something sadly missed with 24 bit digital music. I'm sorry if this rant reads as snobby or cunty, that's not where this is coming from. I'm just enthusiastic about this sorta thing and enjoy discussing it with folks.

P.S. I love the Deftones!
    Last edited by neorev; 04-04-2016 at 12:06 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    looking forward to hearing franks parts more clearly on the digital rip

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I had to bite and listen to the vinyl rip. On first impression: its Deftones, its great, it doesn't disappoint. It evokes some of the best of early 90s alt rock, like Smashing Pumpkins, but with a bit of a harder edge. They're trying some new sounds here, both heavy and softer, and it adds new wrinkles in songs like Hearts/Wires, Gore, and Rubicon. Like all their records, it sounds similar to their other work, but with enough new ideas to keep it distinct. If I was to criticize anything, the middle 3 songs Pittura Infamante, Xenon, and (L)MIRL have a similarity in pace and tone that makes the album kind of coast in that part, but its nothing that bad; they're still good songs.

Its great to see these guys still doing it all these years later, still being excited about making music and staying compelling with absolutely zero hype factor: they're not pretty boys, they seem like they don't like doing interviews, their videos kind of suck, and they have no real marketable 'image' to speak of. They just succeed on the music alone, and have done it with longevity while keeping their music interesting.

For those who are still holding out for a FLAC or non-vinyl rip: I do wish I could've waited, because while the ripper has done his best, their is enough missing from the sound that it takes a sheen off of the songs. Just wait a little bit more and hear it at the optimal level.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 04-04-2016 at 12:33 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    If I was to criticize anything, the middle 3 songs Pittura Infamante, Xenon, and (L)MIRL have a similarity in pace and tone that makes the album kind of coast in that part, but its nothing that bad; they're still good songs.
    I agree, but what I liked about the first two tracks here is that they bleed into each other and that is one mechanic of recording I absolutely love. There are definitely some aspects of the tracks on here that made me turn my head from the weird ambient noises thrown in randomly, to other parts of songs going from slow motion to heavy as fuck. The album is a bit unpredictable at times, and that is something that makes an album thrive. Cannot wait to get a flac version to blast on my headphones. Immersion is something Deftones fucking owns.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    probably smplayer, VLC player, or even the old winamp plays mine just fine.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I agree, but what I liked about the first two tracks here is that they bleed into each other and that is one mechanic of recording I absolutely love. There are definitely some aspects of the tracks on here that made me turn my head from the weird ambient noises thrown in randomly, to other parts of songs going from slow motion to heavy as fuck. The album is a bit unpredictable at times, and that is something that makes an album thrive. Cannot wait to get a flac version to blast on my headphones. Immersion is something Deftones fucking owns.
    Yeah, thats a cool part. They're not bad songs by any means, they're all quite good. Something makes me think, judging by the official audio of the 3 songs released, that a depth is missing from them due to the vinyl rip. They could have more distinction on the record.

There is some experimentation to keep expectations off kilter on the album, which I like. Its kind of like a little bit of Mars Volta influence(but not quite as extreme), zigging when you think it'll zag, like a few sudden drops into softness or hardness, or slight drumming/cadence changes and stuff like that. Can't wait to hear the real thing; I'm deleting the vinyl rip after this one listen, so the next time will be with the good one.

^Oh man, I hear you. The Diamond eyes videos were alright, but their vids usually blow it with skateboarding or some crap in there. How awesome would it be if a visionary like Mark Romanek, David Fincher, Floria Sigismondi, or Chris Cunningham did one of their vids(tho, of course, those guys are really expensive)? They have yet to make a video that really compliments their music.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 04-04-2016 at 02:16 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I'm not getting that vinyl rip. Waiting for higher quality.
    Reviews are quite interesting so far. Looking forward to listen to it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Me and you both, brother! I'd like nothing more than to meet up Friday, pack a fat bowl of grade-A weed, and smoke out to this record with you while we petsit some cat friends

Alas, I'll be packing a fat bowl of primo and smoking out to it thinking "Damn, I wonder if Maxwell is digging this shit like I am right now..."
    (i don't smoke weed, but i'd gladly make some delicious cocktails )

had a dream last night that i joined deftones as a second guitarist so chino could just focus on vocals. it was pretty awesome.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    What's the best digital player on a PC or laptop to play FLAC/24-bit files with?
    I use foobar2000 for everything.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Righteous! This might be a silly question, but is there a mobile app/interface for it as well? Can you store all your FLAC files in it like an iCloud and access them from a smartphone?
    In the works. The various platforms are paid for, but they are still needing to fund the "advertising/campaigning" and cross-platform Cloud storage. They put Cloud storage financing last so there should be a viable commercial product once the Social aspect is paid for, with perhaps the Cloud storage portion being a later update.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Resisting all the leaks so far, though it's driving me crazy.

But since Hearts/Wires is on Spotify, I gave it a listen. Wow. I really like that track! So beautiful and soaring. To me this is like Deftones meets Pink Floyd.

And Doomed User has grown on me quite a bit since first listen. Very Saturday Night Wrist.

Friday and my vinyl copy can not get here soon enough!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Overall Gore is down in my bottom 3.

The songs I don't care to hear again:

Geometric Headdress
    Pittura Infamante
    Phantom Bride

Doomed User and Hearts/Wires almost made that list.

Rubicon is my latest favorite. It's really sunk in now, like a Kimdracula! Maybe better. It makes me .

Again though--(L)MIRL is my shit. Sweet guitar and bass lines, structure, and everything. Song creates such a world.

A drummer's sidenote: I love Abe's new ride cymbal.
    Last edited by Amaro; 04-04-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)