Page 35 of 55 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1622

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Same - my showing started pretty late given the posted time. I don't go out to movies a lot anymore, so maybe I'm just not used to it, but it seemed like a really excessive number of ads (at top volume of course...). That's probably down to the theater itself, though.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessly View Post
    Same - my showing started pretty late given the posted time. I don't go out to movies a lot anymore, so maybe I'm just not used to it, but it seemed like a really excessive number of ads (at top volume of course...). That's probably down to the theater itself, though.
    oh no, it most definitely is an excessive amount of ads/previews now. When I watched Ep. 8 of Star Wars, we were fed 27min of ads/previews...pretty soon we will get an intermission

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Dave sounding as good as ever

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Dave sounding as good as ever

Wow, I really dig that. His collab works are always amazing: Nostalgia, all the Soulsavers stuff, Ocean with Goldfrapp, etc.

I like that one comment someone said: “when Dave starts collaborating with other artists Martin gets jealous and starts writing for new DM material”. I hope so!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I hope the induction means they’ll perform some songs with Alan Wilder again. That one off of Somebody back in 2010 was amazing.

edit: Speaking of that, it feels like it happened maybe 4 or 5 years ago. It happened 10 fucking years ago already!
    Last edited by Erneuert; 01-15-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I hope the induction means they’ll perform some songs with Alan Wilder again. That one off of Somebody back in 2010 was amazing.

edit: Speaking of that, it feels like it happened maybe 4 or 5 years ago. It happened 10 fucking years ago already!
    Rumor has it that Vince Clark and Alan will join the boys on stage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Unpopular opinion: Their last truly good and solid album was Ultra.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post

Then you might wanna listen to a masterpiece called Playing The Angel

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    How many fights would i get into if i say Exciter might be better than Ultra?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    i totally agree.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    How many fights would i get into if i say Exciter might be better than Ultra?
    None with me. When The Body Speaks, I Am You and Goodnight Lovers are breathtaking. It’s actually my favourite DM record, has been for years. I’m a fan of that minimalist production.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Rumor has it that Vince Clark and Alan will join the boys on stage.
    Vince: I wrote one album with them then left the band. Yeah... not the best decision I’ve ever made.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    The Dead of night 👍🏼

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    The Dead of night
    I love that song. I Feel Loved is another favorite. It's just such a chill album compared to the others.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I really wanna hear some deep cuts like “Dangerous” but I know it won’t happen.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I love that song. I Feel Loved is another favorite. It's just such a chill album compared to the others.
    It’s a shame I Feel Loved got scrapped from the live sets even while they were still touring the album, never to return...

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    The Dead of night 👍🏼
    The Sweetest Condition! 👍🏻

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    I really wanna hear some deep cuts like “Dangerous” but I know it won’t happen.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Slicing Up Eyeballs is reporting that Vince won't be attending, quoting either Erasure's site or a fan site I can't really tell which. Really hope at least Alan will be persuaded to show up.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Slicing Up Eyeballs is reporting that Vince won't be attending, quoting either Erasure's site or a fan site I can't really tell which. Really hope at least Alan will be persuaded to show up.
    I wonder why? He doesn’t feel like he contributed enough to be worthy? Or would rather be part of Erasure being inducted?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Vince lasted 1 year in a 40 year career and 1 album out of 14....He really had nothing to do with their success considering they drastically altered their sound and image after he left.....But he could have at least showed up and played "Photographic" with them and them split

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Vince lasted 1 year in a 40 year career and 1 album out of 14....He really had nothing to do with their success considering they drastically altered their sound and image after he left.....But he could have at least showed up and played "Photographic" with them and them split
    Kind of odd that the HoF even wants him yet they don't want Atticus inducted with NIN when he's been around for like 15 years with 8 albums/eps under his belt. I guess the difference is Vince was there at the beginning?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    He contributed to Just Cant Get Enough, which they still play. Yeah, he wasn't around long. But, would there even be a band if he hadn't been there? He's pretty important imo.

Really crossing my fingers more for Wilder though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Kind of odd that the HoF even wants him yet they don't want Atticus inducted with NIN when he's been around for like 15 years with 8 albums/eps under his belt. I guess the difference is Vince was there at the beginning?
    It seems like it's probably up to a monkey throwing darts at a board, but they generally go for founding members, and then either notable and/or current members. I have no logical explanation for why Atticus is shafted.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    so I grew up with my parents being big DM fans. as a kid in the late 80's and into the 90's, they were in constant rotation (along with The Cure, New Order, NIN etc) . I remember the "I Feel You" video as a kid being really awesome. but I can't say I was a fan of theirs or their music spoke to me the way The Cure and NIN did, who of course I became massive fans of.

the only DM I have listened to on my own the past few years was Songs of Faith and Devotion (awesome era) ...I remember my mom wearing out that album t-shirt. oh, and "Just Can't Get Enough" which might be one of the catchiest songs ever.

with the R&R nomination, I decided to dig into them deeper and I'm really getting into them now after watching a few videos on YT. so what's the best way to dive into them? start from the beginning and work my way up?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Beginning might be a little rough... They were really tweeny synth pop for quite a few years. Some Great Reward is when they really started getting great IMO. Some nice almost industrial type sounds in there; Lie to Me in particular is something I bet Trent was even initially inspired by.

I feel like with Black Celebration and on they were like a completely different band. Violator is essential, a practically perfect album and something that everyone should own honestly.

Have fun discovering! I think Singles 86>98 was my first real exposure to them. There's been some missteps along the way, but they're really a fucking fantastic group. Martin's consistent ability to craft a melodic hook is almost unmatched.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Just start listening to their albums really. SOFAD is also my go to, so maybe you'll like my favorites:
    SOFAD
    Violator
    Playing the Angel
    Ultra
    Music for the Masses
    Black Celebration
    Delta Machine

The remix singles from the Violator, SOFAD, & Ultra eras are pretty good too (especially SOFAD - In Your Room & Walking in My Shoes are particularly strong and probably have a lot of remixes from other artists you may be familiar with such as Portishead).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    If you like Pretty Hate Machine there is a good chance you will like Violator too.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    If you think Purest Feeling is a masterpiece then you will dig their 1st couple of albums.....Some Great Reward is the beginning of the darker more industrial era and their 1st strong album beginning to end. Black Celebration is their first masterpiece. Music For The Masses picks up where Black Celebration left off. Violator is their "Downward Spiral". The pinnacle.....SOFAD is their 'Fragile". The arty more experimental masterpiece following up the best album they will ever write. Ultra is great. Playing The Angel is in a similar vein as Ultra....'Exciter' is their Hesitation Marks. More mellow and laid back and half the fanbase thinks its utter shit. Sounds of The Universe, Delta Machine and Spirit are hit or miss (as is their first 3 albums)....They have a few average albums but I dont think they have 1 "bad" album in the discography but I am biased considering they are probably my 3rd favorite band. Even their average albums have some cool shit on there (Their 2nd album is considered by many to be their worst album and there are at least 2 or 3 gems on it)....The general consensus by a lot of fans is that they fell off after Ultra or PTA. I disagree. They may be riding on cruise control post 2009 but they are still relevant
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 01-21-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    They’re also one of those bands that have amazing b-sides like The Cure that scarcely get played live. Case in point:

And then there are songs that are amazing unto themselves when originally sung by Dave, then Martin will do them live as a ballad and they become a brand new masterpiece all over again. More cases in point:

And then there are just beautiful instrumentals. The first that comes to mind is: