Page 80 of 263 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 130 180 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 7886

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Now hear me out. What if, when Adam said a video for Opiate, he meant the entire album!

That would be cool!

It's not what it'll be tho and I'm okay with that.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    When I saw [NIN] at the Fonda in 09, it was one of the most captivating performances I had ever seen, with next to no stage production to back them. Can you imagine how boring Tool would be without all the visual bells and whistles?
    Not so sure. In a tiny theatre, you would be able to see a lot more of what they as musicians are doing. In a larger arena, that mostly disappears. And the late '09 NIN shows still had decent lighting, don't undersell what a big rig of par cans can do. That's the foundational element of arena rock lighting, ever since bands like Queen did it first back in the Seventies.

"Flat" is not the word that I would use to describe how the guys move and perform now. But what do I know? I've only seen them twice and both times were after 10,000 Days came out.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Personally, I think they're still as amazing as they ever were...although I must say that I really miss the days of TOOL actually having a frontman. You know, as opposed to some guy hiding in the shadows or silhouetted against a projection screen about 50 feet from the rail at the very back of the stage.

:-\

Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    It seems they played Sweat last night.
    Haha, i c wut u dd thurr

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Personally, I think they're still as amazing as they ever were...although I must say that I really miss the days of TOOL actually having a frontman. You know, as opposed to some guy hiding in the shadows or silhouetted against a projection screen about 50 feet from the rail at the very back of the stage.

:-\

Haha, i c wut u dd thurr
    I kinda like the back in the shadows thing. I like the idea of putting the music front and center. Sometimes a frontman can be too engaged and I never found that enjoyable.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Just got out of the San Diego show, and couldn't disagree more with some of the negative comments on here. Instead of talking shit some people should go to a show and see if they enjoy themselves rather than looking at YT clips and paper set lists. As someone already pointed out this isn't the same shit they've been playing since 2010.

Dont feel like getting into specifics right now- actually proud of myself for not coming into here or 4theye since Wednesday to avoid spoilers- but tonight is the best I've heard Maynard in years. He fucking brought it and I'm as shocked as anyone. If people don't like him standing next to Danny don't know what to say, at least he isn't fake about it and tries to be someone else. Also was nice to hear him give props to people who who served the country (San Diego has big Naval/military presence for those that may not know) instead of the typical hipster assholes think we live in Soviet Russia run by modern day Hitlers.

Thats all I have for now, tired. Good night and peace out. Remember to hug your pets.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @Krazy I'd love to go to a show if tickets weren't $300

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    Can you imagine how boring Tool would be without all the visual bells and whistles?
    It'd depend on what year you saw them. I was in the front row at the Seattle show at the Paramount on the day 10,000 Days came out. Tiny theater show, only a few hanging drapes with images (no video screens), no opener, 3 hour show. One of the best things I've ever seen.

Now, a lot more to it...but they seem less interested. Makes a world of difference.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I saw them at the Fox in Detroit on the 10k Days pre-tour. Small screens, subdued lighting effects, nothing crazy. It was intimate and intense.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    @Krazy I'd love to go to a show if tickets weren't $300
    You planned on the Orlndo show, right?

Just keep checking CL, and maybe even Stubhub as show gets closer.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Can someone tell me what kind of polyrhythm Danny plays in the middle (quiet) part of Lateralus starting at approx. 5:36 mark?
    I understand that before that he plays 5/4 on hihat on top of 6/4 bass guitar, but once the part with kick drum starts, I can't fucking count that anymore. Anyone?

edit
    also, I fickin lol'd at this
    Last edited by fillow; 01-12-2016 at 07:18 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Can someone tell me what kind of polyrhythm Danny plays in the middle (quiet) part of Lateralus starting at approx. 5:36 mark?
    I understand that before that he plays 5/4 on hihat on top of 6/4 bass guitar, but once the part with kick drum starts, I can't fucking count that anymore. Anyone?
    I actually wrote that part out for someone a few years ago. It's still in 5.

I based it on the low quality drum cam video that's on Youtube:

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
    I actually wrote that part out for someone a few years ago. It's still in 5.

I based it on the low quality drum cam video that's on Youtube:
    Thank you, this chart makes sense.
    The video also reminded me of another question I've meant to ask - does Danny hit his gong anywhere else during any show besides this one hit in Lateralus?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Thank you, this chart makes sense.
    The video also reminded me of another question I've meant to ask - does Danny hit his gong anywhere else during any show besides this one hit in Lateralus?
    Schism has gong action too

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I realize most of you are veterans and waiting for something serious to happen.. but my first live Tool experience was exactly what I've needed. I hadn't fully tuned into them until 10,000 Days was released (2006 - I was 11/12 at the time.. I know, weird.) and have missed out on several chances to see them... mostly due to financial or creative obligations.

Seeing Primus for my 3rd time was great. I don't think I could ever get tired of listening to them in a live setting. I lost my shit when they played 'Toys'

3Teeth was pretty good... sort of a poor man's Skinny Puppy but they performed well!

edit: Glad I got to see a couple cuts from 'Opiate' but I'm kinda sad they cut 'Lateralus' + 'Third Eye' from the mix.. two of my all-time favorites
    Last edited by Soma; 01-20-2016 at 12:12 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Sorry to double-post but I also wanted to add:

The house speakers died during the beginning of Danny's solo, but you could still hear him pounding away through the entire arena. It almost added for the experience. I admit that I shot a few dirty looks at the sound crew during the ordeal, but I also couldn't help but laugh in familiarity. Watching the staff scramble to fix things and Danny persevering through it all was beyond entertaining.

That on top of Les & Maynard both rambling during both of their sets with positive energy, it all made for a very exciting & humbling experience

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasisity View Post

Seeing Primus for my 3rd time was great. I don't think I could ever get tired of listening to them in a live setting. I lost my shit when they played 'Toys'

3Teeth was pretty good... sort of a poor man's Skinny Puppy but they performed well!
    LOL calling Primus great and 3TEETH pretty good and a poor man's Skinny Puppy. Way off the mark on all accounts.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    LOL calling Primus great and 3TEETH pretty good and a poor man's Skinny Puppy. Way off the mark on all accounts.
    Calm down.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    He doesn't deserve our mocking (ableist) scorn, the fucking doofuses sitting down all around him do

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    He doesn't deserve our mocking (ableist) scorn, the fucking doofuses sitting down all around him do
    Is no one else old enough to appreciate sitting down and just enjoying a show for what it is?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Clearly almost everyone who still likes rock music is

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    That's pretty much exactly like I listen to Tool when at home. I have to stop whatever the fuck I'm doing and just rock the fuck out (plus air drum to the best of my ability).

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'd like to see you guys head bang to those time signatures properly.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Saw them for the second time last night in Southaven MS aka Memphis, TN. Fun but you could tell MJK was not in to it.

Played a 30 sec version of Parabol then straight into Parabola. (that pissed me off)

Opiate got awkward...MJK went on a rant about how you can't sing "Rape without offending people" and "rape can't be funny anymore".

Left at intermission. Honestly...they don't fucking play long enough to have a 15 minute countdown intermission. Look at Rush, they play 3+ hours and only go off stage for a short period of time. And on top of that, the do an intermission to come back on to do a drum solo and play 2 songs.

Will say this is my last TOOL show. Cash grab, and the prices are ridiculous (i received these tix as a Christmas present)

Like I said, it was fun...just not great. Puscifer live is where it's at. I will spend $300 a ticket all day for their shows.

Oh...and wtf is MJK wearing haha

THIS is what I would love to have seen:
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 01-20-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    PRIMUS SUCKS but they put on a hell of a live show.

I don't think I'll be buying any 3Teeth records but yeah. They are nowhere near as adventurous as SP, but I felt the vocal + aesthetic influence was strong. Their entire sound seemed to be based around that generic, repetitive quarter-note club beat. That kills me for the majority of industrial/EBM groups, but they executed it more tastefully than I've heard a lot of others

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I saw them last night 40 minutes outside of Atlanta. I thought it was good. My seats sucked and for the first few songs, I didn't feel any connection to what was going on. Maynard being totally in the dark made it feel even less personal with my seats. I got over it because they sounded great. I forgot how amazing the drummer is live. I'm glad to have been there. Maynard talked to a guy dressed like a banana/penguin and referred to his own outfit and being dressed up. I would've like to have seen it but he was just a shadowy figure in the distance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I had a great ticket for the KC show but let the wife talk me out of going due to the weather and my other cars battery. I should have just fucking went.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    http://www.alternativenation.net/too...-music-videos/

Rumors of two new videos? One supposedly being the rumored Opiate video Adam mentioned being released before year's end... Last year. Although, if this is to be believed, there may well be a revenue issue prompting a delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative Press
    NSYK posted an exchange from Tool guitarist Adam Jones’ recent VIP Q&A on the band’s Reddit a couple of days ago.

“Adam talked a lot about the process they were going through on the new album. No one asked about the progress, so I can’t tell you what the status of that was.

What I did find very telling, however, was him talking about the progress they’ve made on producing the two music videos. It came out of him talking about using CGI vs stop motion work in Hollywood and his time as a visual effects artist. This made me believe they are very far along in their work on the album.”

He added, “He said two music videos that they were on the hook from the record company for, complained they only get an advance on the video and would likely lose money as it would be all over Youtube and Vimeo and not get traditional revenue, and talked about different options for making money back.”

Tool also recently released a newsletter that hints at future projects, though does not offer an update on their new album.

“As I’m sure some of you are aware, it’s now 2016 era vulgaris (or, if your pseudo-Latin is a bit rusty, 2016 in the common era), and as such, it’s a fair bet that at least a few Tool enthusiasts are wondering what might be in store for the band in the new calendar year. Well, the Criswell in me predicts that 2016 e.v. will be an exciting year (of course, Criswell once predicted that a beam from outer space would turn all the metal in Denver into carbon nanotube rubber!). However, before anyone reads too much into this (again), I have no time tables for anything, and that’s with a sequined tuxedo. As Tool finishes up the current mini-tour in those states where McDonalds first offered sweet tea, what I do have is e-mail traffic that suggests (nay, confirms) that the band is making preparations for things to come besides a new record.”

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    http://www.alternativenation.net/too...-music-videos/

Rumors of two new videos? One supposedly being the rumored Opiate video Adam mentioned being released before year's end... Last year. Although, if this is to be believed, there may well be a revenue issue prompting a delay.
    It's all bullshit and performance anxiety. Just make your goddamn videos. Concerned about not making the money back? Work within your goddamn budget. I understand wanting to make things and telling people that you're excited about wanting to make things. Like a concert film. Or a new album. Or two new videos. But Adam Jones seems to get jammed up if he's performing decade(s) old Tool songs or making 'art' for Tool posters and merch. I understand it, it's hard to get past that anxiety, and the band doesn't owe us anything, but I see things like this and it's hard for me not to feel a bit "quit yappin' and start doin'"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Shot in the dark, but is there anyone here trying to sell a ticket to the Orlando show?