Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Trent Reznor did that dance show wearing sunglasses in the UK when With Teeth was released, far more humiliating.
    Wait, what? How did I miss this... Does anyone have a link?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ophelia_ View Post
    Wait, what? How did I miss this... Does anyone have a link?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA.... oh my god... oh lordy. Wow.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    wearing sunglasses
    I honestly don't see how that's any sort of humorous or even humiliating (???). The band got a lot of lighting around them, they use computers to record and prepare for performances all the time, they often get little sleep: no wonder there's a bit of eye fatigue now and then.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ophelia_ View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA.... oh my god... oh lordy. Wow.
    I'm so glad I missed that performance at the time, would have dampened my excitement for With Teeth I think!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I'm so glad I missed that performance at the time, would have dampened my excitement for With Teeth I think!
    I watched it live when it was originally aired. It was very unexpected and a bit of a shock at first, but after a few seconds it just became funny.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Trent should assemble all the former NIN members, touring or otherwise for a jam to end all jams.... my god, how many people would be on stage? lol

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    Trent should assemble all the former NIN members, touring or otherwise for a jam to end all jams.... my god, how many people would be on stage? lol
    OK, let me see. On drums, Chris Vrenna, Josh Freese, Ilan Rubin, and (maybe) Jerome Dillon. On bass/guitar/keyboards, Josh Eustis, Pino Palladino, Danny Lohner, Jeordie White, and Justin Meldal-Johnsten. On keyboards, James Wooley, Charlie Clouser, and Alessandro Cortini. On guitars, Richard Patrick, Robin Finck, Aaron North, and (hopefully) Adrian Belew. Add Lisa and Sharlotte on backing vocals and you got SUPA-NIN!!!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    OK, let me see. On drums, Chris Vrenna, Josh Freese, Ilan Rubin, and (maybe) Jerome Dillon. On bass/guitar/keyboards, Josh Eustis, Pino Palladino, Danny Lohner, Jeordie White, and Justin Meldal-Johnsten. On keyboards, James Wooley, Charlie Clouser, and Alessandro Cortini. On guitars, Richard Patrick, Robin Finck, Aaron North, and (hopefully) Adrian Belew. Add Lisa and Sharlotte on backing vocals and you got SUPA-NIN!!!
    And they play The Perfect Drug, with And All That Could Have Been as an encore?

Also, I always read the title of this thread as "Nine Inch Nails make the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame shitlist" which I feel is more accurate to most of the conversation being had in here...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    I honestly don't see how that's any sort of humorous or even humiliating (???). The band got a lot of lighting around them, they use computers to record and prepare for performances all the time, they often get little sleep: no wonder there's a bit of eye fatigue now and then.
    Yeah sunglasses alone, no big deal. But along with that white disco shirt and the wig...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    What's the poll looking like now?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    and zombie jeff ward. can't forget him!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Must not forget Gary Talpas just standing behind the keyboard.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMBFCHD View Post
    Must not forget Gary Talpas just standing behind the keyboard.
    Talpas is the only person who is eligible alongside TR for NIN, as he's appeared on every NIN release :P

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Looks like he might attend if this happens, doesn't seem to have any animosity towards the hall of fame

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...ce=twitterfeed\

Nine Inch Nails has been nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. What would it mean to you to be inducted?
    I don't know. Having won a couple Grammys for stupid shit -- best metal performance -- it's hard to feel good about the integrity of that. The politics involved and the fact [the Grammys are] a TV show trying to get ratings led me to a pretty sour stance on the world of awards.
    When The Social Network came up and suddenly there's the Oscar and Golden Globes, it felt like it's coming from a more sincere pedigree. I'm not saying there's not politics and bullshit, but [it was] my first look into how many different crafts are involved in making a film and how seriously each of those crafts takes that process -- it felt different. Two days [after winning the Oscar] did I wake up feeling any different? No. I still can find a sour outlook on life. But I have a nice thing on my mantle now.
    With the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I was in Cleveland when they were campaigning to get it built there, and I remember doing whatever you needed to do -- make a phone call from the phone of the music shop I worked at -- to try to raise public enthusiasm. That's probably the most attention I had spent on it because I thought it would be nice to have some civic pride in Cleveland. But I find it flattering to be one of the nominees. It would be an honor to be a part of that if it goes that way. And if it doesn't, it doesn't. I've done the best work I can do.
    Last edited by WorzelG; 10-31-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Looks like he might attend if this happens, doesn't seem to have any animosity towards the hall of fame

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...ce=twitterfeed\

Nine Inch Nails has been nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. What would it mean to you to be inducted?
    I don't know. Having won a couple Grammys for stupid shit -- best metal performance -- it's hard to feel good about the integrity of that. The politics involved and the fact [the Grammys are] a TV show trying to get ratings led me to a pretty sour stance on the world of awards.
    When The Social Network came up and suddenly there's the Oscar and Golden Globes, it felt like it's coming from a more sincere pedigree. I'm not saying there's not politics and bullshit, but [it was] my first look into how many different crafts are involved in making a film and how seriously each of those crafts takes that process -- it felt different. Two days [after winning the Oscar] did I wake up feeling any different? No. I still can find a sour outlook on life. But I have a nice thing on my mantle now.
    With the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I was in Cleveland when they were campaigning to get it built there, and I remember doing whatever you needed to do -- make a phone call from the phone of the music shop I worked at -- to try to raise public enthusiasm. That's probably the most attention I had spent on it because I thought it would be nice to have some civic pride in Cleveland. But I find it flattering to be one of the nominees. It would be an honor to be a part of that if it goes that way. And if it doesn't, it doesn't. I've done the best work I can do.
    Thanks for posting that. Good to know. I want him to get in and I want him to be there because he deserves it and the jam will be incredible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Better get back to voting to put NIN on top again!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Even if NIN ends up in second, I think Trent will get in anyways. I think the powers that be will see how just highly innovative Trent is. If they don't see that, then they just probably listen to a lot of Nickleback.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble 26.32% Nine Inch Nails 24.24% Joan Jett & the Blackhearts 10.74% The Paul Butterfield Blues Band 8.80% Lou Reed 7.20% Bill Withers 6.19% Sting 3.02% War 2.96% Green Day 2.94% The Spinners 2.76% Kraftwerk 1.61% Chic 1.04% The Marvelettes 0.97% The Smiths 0.70% N.W.A 0.53%

Needs more effort!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble 26.32% Nine Inch Nails 24.24% Joan Jett & the Blackhearts 10.74% The Paul Butterfield Blues Band 8.80% Lou Reed 7.20% Bill Withers 6.19% Sting 3.02% War 2.96% Green Day 2.94% The Spinners 2.76% Kraftwerk 1.61% Chic 1.04% The Marvelettes 0.97% The Smiths 0.70% N.W.A 0.53%

Needs more effort!
    Jesus, NWA are bottom? The public are morons

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I like those numbers. NIN may be in 2nd but it's been a neck-and-neck race which makes me think they might be locks to both get in. Also relieved that it's "Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble" not just SRV. He had a hell of a band.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Jesus, NWA are bottom? The public are morons
    I didnt realize NWA was a rock band? Ice Cube should be nominated on his own, rather than all of NWA....He was NWA....when he split, he became huge and the rest of the band died. Eazy E sold 10 records on his own and did nothing except be jerry hellers puppet, he didnt even write his own raps, they had to write them for him, DJ Yella is flipping burgers, Rens career died after Cube split as well and Dre rapped on maybe 1 song on their first record and.....but if they do get in, I would love to see Ice Cube in the same room with jerry heller
    Last edited by billpulsipher; 11-04-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I didnt realize NWA was a rock band?
    They're not (nor is NIN), but it's the rock'n'roll hall of fame, and Hip Hop is a direct descendent of rock'n'roll, as is metal and many modern genres.

Dre alone deserves to be in for his influence beyond the sphere of simply rapping, and Ice Cube of course, and the actual albums are so timeless that it makes sense to induct the lot.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame = slightly catchier than The Music HoF. That's what it is, let's not be ignorant because of what they decided to name it.

EDIT: my vote goes with NWA. I think what hurts them though is longevity- or lack thereof.
    Last edited by Krazy; 11-04-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I know that this vote counts for nothing, but NWA being that far down is a fucking travesty.

It makes me giggle to see Green Day that far down, though.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Yeah sunglasses alone, no big deal. But along with that white disco shirt and the wig...
    we laughed at the sunglasses for about a week.

And that was his hair, then.

And he was sportin' that white shirt at shows all the time (club tour, 2005)

Last edited by allegro; 11-04-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame = slightly catchier than The Music HoF. That's what it is, let's not be ignorant because of what they decided to name it.
    They DELIBERATELY named it the Rock n Roll hall of fame because "music" would have to include classical, country, jazz, latin, reggae, asian, and numerous other types of music. This was a deliberate plan by Ahmet Ertegun and his friends in the music industry to focus, specifically, on rock n roll. Do you know who Ahmet Ertegun is?

Ahmet Ertegun is probably mostly known for signing these guys to Atlantic Records:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmet_Erteg%C3%BCn

According to the Wiki page:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation was created on April 20, 1983, by Atlantic Records founder and chairman Ahmet Ertegun. He assembled a team that included attorney Suzan Evans, Rolling Stone magazine editor and publisher Jann S. Wenner, attorney Allen Grubman and record executives Seymour Stein, Bob Krasnow and Noreen Woods. The Foundation began inducting artists in 1986, but the Hall of Fame still had no home. The search committee considered several cities, including Memphis (home of Sun Studios and Stax Records), Detroit (home of Motown Records), Cincinnati (home of King Records), New York City, and Cleveland.

Cleveland lobbied for the museum, citing that WJW disc jockey Alan Freed both coined the term "rock and roll" and heavily promoted the new genre—and that Cleveland was the location of Freed's Moondog Coronation Ball, the first major rock and roll concert. In addition, Cleveland cited radio station WMMS, which played a key role in breaking several major acts in the U.S. during the 1970s and 80s, including artist David Bowie, who began his first U.S. tour in the city, Bruce Springsteen, Roxy Music, and Rush among many others. Cleveland was also one of the premier tour stops for most rock bands.

Civic leaders in Cleveland pledged $65 million in public money to fund the construction. A petition drive was signed by 600,000 fans favoring Cleveland over Memphis, and Cleveland ranked first in a 1986 USA Today poll asking where the Hall of Fame should be located. On May 5, 1986, the Hall of Fame Foundation chose Cleveland as the permanent home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

Cleveland may also have been chosen as the organization's site because the city offered the best financial package. As The Plain Dealer music critic Michael Norman noted, "It was $65 million... Cleveland wanted it here and put up the money." Co-founder Jann Wenner later said, "One of the small sad things is we didn't do it in New York in the first place," but then added, "I am absolutely delighted that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is in Cleveland."

During early discussions on where to build the Hall of Fame and Museum, the Foundation's board considered the Cuyahoga River. Ultimately, the chosen location was in downtown Cleveland by Lake Erie, just east of Cleveland Browns Stadium and the Great Lakes Science Center.

At one point in the planning phase when a financing gap existed, planners proposed locating the Rock Hall in the then-vacant May Company Building, but finally decided to commission architect I. M. Pei to design a new building. Initial CEO Dr. Larry Thompson facilitated I. M. Pei in designs for the site. Pei came up with the idea of a tower with a glass pyramid protruding from it. The museum tower was initially planned to stand 200 ft (61 m) high, but had to be cut down to 162 ft (49 m) due to its proximity to Burke Lakefront Airport. The building's base is approximately 150,000 square feet (14,000 m2). The groundbreaking ceremony took place on June 7, 1993. Pete Townshend, Chuck Berry, Billy Joel, Sam Phillips, Ruth Brown, Sam Moore of Sam and Dave, Carl Gardner of the Coasters and Dave Pirner of Soul Asylum all appeared at the groundbreaking.

The museum dedicated on September 1, 1995, with the ribbon being cut by an ensemble that included Yoko Ono and Little Richard, among others, before a crowd of more than 10,000 people. The following night an all-star concert was held at the stadium. It featured Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan, Al Green, Jerry Lee Lewis, Aretha Franklin, Bruce Springsteen, Iggy Pop, John Fogerty, John Mellencamp and many others.

In addition to the Hall of Fame inductees, the museum documents the entire history of rock and roll, regardless of induction status. Hall of Fame inductees are honored in a special exhibit located in a wing that juts out over Lake Erie.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-04-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Just a random thought during my ride into work today... *What if* NIN gets into the rock n' roll hall and TR decides to do a one off club show in Cleveland? House of Blues anybody????

One can dream...

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    The only thing I'm dreading about this is having to spend a few days in fucking Cleveland again.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    You can go visit Trent Reznor's keyboard

My husband's band played the RnRHoF once, LOL. For an National Air Traffic Controller's Association Union Convention (they rented the entire building). G bought an airplane ticket for his guitar because he didn't want to check it. The flight attendant was very confused, LOL. He seatbelted it in.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-04-2014 at 12:39 PM.