Page 110 of 195 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 160 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,300 of 5839

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finally grabbed that new Johnny Cash Unearthed boxed set... and that "Rubbish of the Floodwaters" by Vatican Shadow today.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just posting this here for anyone interested in Ministry's Greatest Fits on vinyl, preorders end on 1/3/2018 and will be a limited pressing. I guess if you preorder it you get to vote on the color vinyl too. Anyway, I will finally have "What about us?" on vinyl!

http://runoutgroovevinyl.com/greatest-fits-2lp.html

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    Just posting this here for anyone interested in Ministry's Greatest Fits on vinyl, preorders end on 1/3/2018 and will be a limited pressing. I guess if you preorder it you get to vote on the color vinyl too. Anyway, I will finally have "What about us?" on vinyl!
    Any idea on the source for this? Are they remastering it for vinyl? I took a quick read of the site but it didn't seem to indicate... I just don't want to pick up another half volume from CD source pressing... they depress me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Any idea on the source for this? Are they remastering it for vinyl? I took a quick read of the site but it didn't seem to indicate... I just don't want to pick up another half volume from CD source pressing... they depress me.
    I am not 100% sure actually. Looking at the company's facebook page seems to show they take 'great care' in using original masters when possible. However, doesn't every company say that?

Speaking of half volume... the music on vinyl White Zombie La Sexorcisto purple vinyl... Put that one on your avoid list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Nice to finally have my favourite Deftones record on vinyl!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post

Nice to finally have my favourite Deftones record on vinyl!
    really wish they'd do a 2xLP version of this like they did with SNW so it wasn't so jammed on both sides. having owned both versions of SNW, the 2xLP sounds immeasurably better because the tracks are given the space they need to sound fuller.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    there's no way that's even remotely good for your records (or that it will actually sound good)

:: shudder ::
    A friend and I talked about this thing the other day. I don't see anyone who really wants to take care of their stuff carrying their records around with this thing to parties or anything (can't think of another application that isn't "just bring a record over and play it without a player.") I feel like it plays more with novelty than practicality. I'd use it, for sure - once or twice, at home, to see. But I'm not gonna bring my records places and also carry a Bluetooth speaker.

I'm gonna have to read up on how it works (Apparently with a needle, rubber wheels and properly calibrated weight distribution). It is a cool idea, but feels kinda pointless. Why would I need to listen to a record IN my bed if there isn't already a turntable in the room? What collector would bring their records to the park? Where there's dirt and bugs and grass and OH YEAH, the Sun. Now you just need to find shade. And a clean area. And someplace quiet enough to hear it over the ambient noise of being outside. Why bother?

The portability this product provides is only really a benefit if you don't have a smartphone or MP3 player. And for $89+tax you can TOTALLY afford a basic MP3 player and have unlimited portability. So...

Edit: the kickstarter page for it gives some info and shows you how it sounds, but it sounds...about how you'd expect. ^^'
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 12-07-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    really wish they'd do a 2xLP version of this like they did with SNW so it wasn't so jammed on both sides. having owned both versions of SNW, the 2xLP sounds immeasurably better because the tracks are given the space they need to sound fuller.
    That would be cool. It would definitely be better to have a fancy gatefold package with the liner note design from the CD version too, the standard sleeve is a bit flimsy. Hoping to get Koi No Yokan and SNW on vinyl next!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    That would be cool. It would definitely be better to have a fancy gatefold package with the liner note design from the CD version too, the standard sleeve is a bit flimsy. Hoping to get Koi No Yokan and SNW on vinyl next!
    if i still had my single-disc SNW i'd give it to you cheap. sadly, i sold it after i got the 2xLP version. it's a little harder to find and more expensive but well worth it to get the 2xLP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh damn, hopefully a gatefold edition reissue will pop up in the future! Listened to it the other day for the first time in a while, I bet it sounds fantastic on the turntable.

S/T is awesome, the guitars and drums have so much more punch. When Girls Telephone Boys sounds huge, especially when the chorus kicks in!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

recently pulled this out and played it for the first time in years (i've had it for probably 15 years). still can't believe a) i have an original pressing and b) how amazing it sounds.

death of lovers - the acrobat, blue vinyl
    i was worried that this band would stop existing because it had been so long since their debut EP (2014), so i was thrilled when this got announced. while it leaves behind some of the gloomy post-punk sounds of their first EP, it embraces more of the 80s sound and is just so thoroughly enjoyable. it's kind of like if echo & the bunnymen did new order.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

recently pulled this out and played it for the first time in years (i've had it for probably 15 years). still can't believe a) i have an original pressing and b) how amazing it sounds.
    I recently picked up that 2011 remastered version and was quite happy with it. I'd say it sounds better than the original CD I had but I doubt it would sound too much different than that 'o' vinyl...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yesterday, I scored myself a near-mint original pressing of George Harrison’s swansong album Brainwashed. Wasn’t cheap, but soon as I put the store turntable’s needle down on “Marwa Blues”, I had to have it. Do yourself a favour if you’ve never heard that, BTW — beautiful and affecting in the extreme. Haven’t compared it to the remastered version that just came out, yet, but it sounds as good as my CD copy has for all these years, only with a little touch of extra midrange warmth.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Finally grabbed that new Johnny Cash Unearthed boxed set...
    Platter 8, side A, band 1 has a bad scratch in it... now, to get it back to the shop I bought it from and get a new one.... cuz for that price, it's bullshit that there's any defects, let alone one like that. Overall, the set is quite nice... but if you're going to charge that much, best make sure it is perfect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That looks awesome! Every track on that album demonstrates Primal Scream at their very best, and it's so damn cool that Kevin Shields joined the band during that time too. Accelerator is a major highlight for me, what a noisy beast of a song! If there's one sound I hope the band returns to some day, it's their XTRMNTR/Evil Heat era sound.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just got a copy of a reissue of Smart Went Crazy's Con Art. It's pretty great. When it was first issued on LP, many of the songs were cut to make it fit on a single LP, and it's finally out on double vinyl with a bonus track. I love that album. It's a semi-obscure indie rock (including cello) classic fronted by Chad Clark who's now in Beauty Pill:

https://swcconart20th.bandcamp.com/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @Shadaloo i pulled that out and listened to it with @kleiner352 on riot fest weekend, which was the first time i'd listened to the album in a long time, and probably the first time in 14 years since i had listened to it on vinyl. i'm personally a big fan of the alternate tracklist toward the end of the album, especially considering the inclusion of "speed kills". curious to know what you think!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    @Shadaloo i pulled that out and listened to it with @kleiner352 on riot fest weekend, which was the first time i'd listened to the album in a long time, and probably the first time in 14 years since i had listened to it on vinyl. i'm personally a big fan of the alternate tracklist toward the end of the album, especially considering the inclusion of "speed kills". curious to know what you think!
    Tricky business. The MI/single B-side version of Speed Kills is in my mind the number one overlooked gem in their catalogue. One of the best tracks from the original band's twilight years, and I applaud them for including it in at least one of the album's formats and on the Japanese version of the CD. Something tells me the JP CD and LP tracklisting was a late-game decision by Billy to try and get the running order both a little closer to how he wanted it with a better flow.

We don't know the full intended Machina double-album tracklist, but Billy did say the album was supposed to end on 'With Every Light'. It's the 'happy ending' track for the Glass character, so I appreciate it being closer to the end. Age of Innocence was written and tacked onto the album at the last minute. Since he mentioned the whole original concept as having a "concert section", I've become used to the notion of it being the fictional GATMOG band's last song for their audience as much as I've become very used to it as the album closer. Something tells me Billy regretted making it the closer and shuffled things around to get a running order a little closer to the way he envisioned it - but I personally don't think he ever really decided on a finalized tracklisting.

I can only assume that since the whole thing was mangled anyway, Billz figured it'd be more interesting to close things out with the distorted cry of "Blue Skies Bring Tears!!" for effect. That one's another of the tracks whose place in the album's intended plot he explained - it's supposed to be an apocalyptic nightmare the character of Glass has, one of the things that sets the character off of the path of self-destructive rockstardom. It's unquestionably closer to where it should be on the normal CD versions.

So in my mind neither tracklisting is ideal, just serviceable. It's flawed in any form. I suppose I'm just used to the original, as that's how I listened to it for years, but nowadays but I go with fan-created tracklistings (including my own) that blend it and selected tracks from Machina II. Until Bill puts down his cards, it's up to interpretation, though I think a rough running order is fairly easy to figure out.

I spent a pretty penny to get my hands on this baby, over $100. If Corgan's serious about the theoretical Machina reissue being remixed and sounding 'darker', there might not be another way to hear these versions of the tracks on LP. I don't regret the purchase.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 12-16-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Tricky business. The MI/single B-side version of Speed Kills is in my mind the number one overlooked gem in their catalogue. One of the best tracks from the original band's twilight years, and I applaud them for including it in at least one of the album's formats and on the Japanese version of the CD. Something tells me the JP CD and LP tracklisting was a late-game decision by Billy to try and get the running order both a little closer to how he wanted it with a better flow.

We don't know the full intended Machina double-album tracklist, but Billy did say the album was supposed to end on 'With Every Light'. It's the 'happy ending' track for the Glass character, so I appreciate it being closer to the end. Age of Innocence was written and tacked onto the album at the last minute. Since he mentioned the whole original concept as having a "concert section", I've become used to the notion of it being the fictional GATMOG band's last song for their audience as much as I've become very used to it as the album closer. Something tells me Billy regretted making it the closer and shuffled things around to get a running order a little closer to the way he envisioned it - but I personally don't think he ever really decided on a finalized tracklisting.

I can only assume that since the whole thing was mangled anyway, Billz figured it'd be more interesting to close things out with the distorted cry of "Blue Skies Bring Tears!!" for effect. That one's another of the tracks whose place in the album's intended plot he explained - it's supposed to be an apocalyptic nightmare the character of Glass has, one of the things that sets the character off of the path of self-destructive rockstardom. It's unquestionably closer to where it should be on the normal CD versions.

So in my mind neither tracklisting is ideal, just serviceable. It's flawed in any form. I suppose I'm just used to the original, as that's how I listened to it for years, but nowadays but I go with fan-created tracklistings (including my own) that blend it and selected tracks from Machina II. Until Bill puts down his cards, it's up to interpretation, though I think a rough running order is fairly easy to figure out.

I spent a pretty penny to get my hands on this baby, over $100. If Corgan's serious about the theoretical Machina reissue being remixed and sounding 'darker', there might not be another way to hear these versions of the tracks on LP. I don't regret the purchase.
    Do you have a tracklist of your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by high def ultra-realism View Post
    Do you have a tracklist of your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do. And after reading back over some of Bill's notes, I went back and spent much of this evening fine-tuning it.

I can share it, but if so interested, I'll do so in the Pumpkins thread rather than derail this one further - my version is an extended cut of sorts - by my estimation, the thing is probably three CDs unedited, not two, and I'd feel the need to add notes for every song explaining why it is where it is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks! I'll follow you there

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Nice. I forgot I ordered it, but my copy hasn't shown up yet.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Crate digging and archive culture

I agree, a personal, curated library is like an autobiography. At least in terms of what the individual enjoyed listening to/collecting.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    various - "The Colombian Melting Pot - Diablos Del Ritmo"
    Richard Hell & The Voidoids - "Blank Generation" (40th anniversary edition)
    Geinoh Yamashirogumi - "Akira - Symphonic Suite"

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    More new...

Really cool to see that Back To Mine compilation available locally...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    @Space Suicide Like, like LIKE! With the exception of Panzerfaust, I own all of them myself. That album cover for Transilvanian Hunger is endlessly fascinating, lol. And I was just spinning the Silent Hill OST the other night, aamof..

Still hunting for a copy of In the Nightside Eclipse, I'm guessing?