Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Random score thoughts

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I wonder how much of the TR/AR scores and the modern NIN sound are actually AR.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I wonder how much of the TR/AR scores and the modern NIN sound are actually AR.
    It really varies on what you're listening to - if it's wandering piano, that's Trent 100%. If it's programmed beats, 100% Atticus. And everything inbetween is a big ol' mixture.
    Compare Hand Covers Bruise (No Piano) and Hand Covers Bruise basically

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    It really varies on what you're listening to - if it's wandering piano, that's Trent 100%. If it's programmed beats, 100% Atticus. And everything inbetween is a big ol' mixture.
    Compare Hand Covers Bruise (No Piano) and Hand Covers Bruise basically
    whoa, goddamn, seriously? Atticus makes all the beats.
    What a trip. Thanks Sheepy.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Is there some sort of interview where it's stated that AR exclusively does "beats"? That seems far-fetched to me.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    Is there some sort of interview where it's stated that AR exclusively does "beats"? That seems far-fetched to me.
    He doesn't exclusively do beats, but he does most of the beats. Much like Trent doesn't just do guitar and piano, but he does most of that.

Note his role on most nin albums is programmer, a role Trent never holds

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    "Programmer" seems like it could be a nebulous term in NIN-world. Like, Keith Hillebrandt would make entire textures and soundscapes that ended up on THE FRAGILE. It could also mean co-ordinating software and hardware and making sure anything called upon is ready to go on demand.

Then there's what we've seen is that AR records TR live performances and takes, TR goes out for lunch and comes back to see that AR has reconstructed an entirely new track from those takes.

I can only assume it's a catchall because each song or project has varying workflows.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Trent has said that he is more of a performer than a programmer these days, improvising on instruments or creating loops, and Atticus is the "computer guy" who collects it all and puts song structures together.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    That just confirms my fears... TR really needs to drop Atticus from the next NIN record and invite some new people on board. You know, just for the change. Keep him for scores and HTDA though.

Incoming facepalms in 3.. 2.. 1

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    That just confirms my fears... TR really needs to drop Atticus from the next NIN record and invite some new people on board. You know, just for the change. Keep him for scores and HTDA though.

He did that for the last record and invited the Arcade Fire guy to be a producer and obviously thought it sucked. He talked at length about it on the In Conversation With extra worrying that he was getting too comfortable with Atticus and Alan Moulder
    Last edited by WorzelG; 04-29-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post

Atticus needs to drop Trent from the next NIN record tbh, get some new blood in

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Nine Inch Nails with the leader of Error at the helm ? I came.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Nine Inch Nails with the leader of Error at the helm ? I came.
    NIN really need to cover Brains Out tbh, just to crush Closer as the most pole-dancable NIN song

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    nin really need to cover brains out tbh, just to crush closer as the most pole-dancable nin song

ḷ̷̺̟͓ͧͬ̿̓ͮ͛ͦ̌̐͋͋̔͒̒ͧ́ę̷̷͚̰̮̩͉͇̱͆ͨ͒ͯͥ͐͆͋́ͭ̔̓̎̏ͬ͡ͅ ̣̝̝͕t̸̺̬̦͈͇͈͉͎͈̟̞̪̪̅̂̾̓̇ͨͣ͌̽ͣͮ̂ͪ̔̉͂̉ͬ̀'ͫ̂ͪ̽̈́̋̽̋̐̍̐ ̐ͮͦͮ̔̀̔ͪ͏̧҉̭͕̯͙ş̡̙̙̜̩̺͕̞͇͓̬̤͖̺̰ͯ̾̏̐ͬ̔͊ͧ̆̿̄̍ͩͮͤ̂͗̋ ͈̺̗ ̦͉͎̰̜̯̮̼̣̖̣̠̥̜̳̘͓̇̑ͧ̔ͪ͆̓́ͩ̈ͣͥͬ̂͘̕j̴̨̧̅̅̌͋ͦ̒̔̋ͩ̈͛̔͘ ͇͚͔ͅů̮͎̙̮̳̱̺̤̞̺͙̦̓̓ͧͮͦ̅͟͞s̳̙̲͙͕̖͎͔̜͔͙͙̀ͦ͋͛͗̐̐͠t͛͊ ̶̧̛͍̗͍̲̜̲͕̳͂́͌̈́̑ͪ͑͜ ̵̨̫̺̤̻̖̠͈̟͙̟̹̮̣̫̥͓͍͇ͥͧ͊̉́ͥ̿̐͌͒̐ͪ̅͂ͬ̉̾̃͠ͅf͐ͪ͌͛͛̃͂̚̚ ͗ͬͫ̏ͤ͑̂́͢͜҉̤̠̘̜̯̲̦̙͖͙̭̰͈̫u̴͂͊̈͑͑ͣͤ̾͗͋͐̓͌̇̆̾̍̉͏͎͉͕̳ ̬̼̟͉͎̩̳̳ͅc̷͖̤͎̲̰̼͔̯̯̭̹̭̟̝̺̫͕͈ͬ̉ͬ̆̌̇̋̊̅͞ͅk̸̨̡̺̔ͮ̾͗ͥ ̥̖̘̬̘̣͓̫̖͚͕͎̞̖̪̟͎ ̧͖̦̫̬̰ͦͤͯ̓̽͛ͧͣͦ́ͬ́̆̀ͦ͟͝ͅǫ̸̨̝͓̣͈̣̝̱̹̣͎͈̞̞̀ͤ̔̓ͧ͡u̒̎ ̡̢̛̖͚̜̤̳̗̗ͮͯͪ̀ͤ̏̏̐̿̃͠r̵̨̹̹͓͓̠̫̊́̆̀̃̒̆ͮ͊̇ͨ͂̂͂́͡ ̪ ̛̻͖̩͎̞̣̼̱͖̬͉̬̹̠͗̀̐̔͌͛̀̔ͨ̚͘͘b͓̖̟̣̥̯̘̹̼̭̌̋̓ͥ̅ͤ̈́̔̃̕͢͠ ̳r͂̃̂̍̽ͫ̎̐̐͂̅͢҉̠̖͎̞̼̦̞̞̦͓̘̫͕͉̬̥ͅͅȃ̛̘ͪͩͣͪͩͦ̐̋ͫͬ̿͢͠ ͎̟̬̯͓͙̗̮͔̺i̳̰̬̠ͤ̽̀ͥ͒͋̇̓̕ņ̊̆̄ͨ̾ͨ̃͐ͪͮ̌ͥ̌̚͜͏̸̹̠͔̪̰͜ͅ ̯̖͔s̤̲̗͇̃̐̉̽́̎͋ͣͧ̋̂̉͆̇́̚̚ ̴̴͔͈͔̮̼͌̒̋̋͒ͥ̄̋̄̊ͧ͂̌̚͘o̶̟̫͍̘̅̈ͮ̄ͣ̅̽̀̍͝uͨ̽̋ͪͩ̐̾̓̃͗̚ ̴̵̱͚̹̯̹̫̬̝̏̆̚̕tͭ̃̃ͫͯ͊̀ͧ͛͂ͮ̂͗͊͗̿ͬ̊̊͘͏͕̘̦̼tͤ̋͊ͦ̒͑͒̾͒ ̸̠̬̹̭̗̫͕͓̜̻̤͖̱͙͑̏ͩ͗ͦ́́́͘t̢̢̜̱͕͙̳͒̍̾̍ͬ͌̃ͅt̥̑ͧ̌ͯ̏ͪ̕͢ ̝̤͙͉̯̠̭̟̻̟͓̳̫̫̦̟t̷̨̨̡͎̪̲͙̺̮̜͇͉͕ͫ̆̑ͪͯ͋͐̏̏͒̓ͪ͑̊͐ͮ͊ͥͥ t̷̛̞̯͕͈̹̠̫̞̜̙̩̞͇̘̮͐̈́̎ͮ̑ͬ͟͠

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Ranking all of the songs the two have composed for film, I'd have to put Intriguing Possibilities at #1, and it really isn't close.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/ju...e/id1128945204

"Juno" By Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross... anyone know anything about this??

definitely sounds like them.
    Last edited by xfocalinx; 06-29-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    its maybe probably for twin peaks
    Last edited by DVYDRNS; 06-29-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/ju...e/id1128945204

"Juno" By Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross... anyone know anything about this??

definitely sounds like them.
    Seems legit... or I just spent 99 cents on a nice ambient track by a really good faker.

What do we think? First guess would be soundtrack, but it seems weird they'd release it as a single with no mention of the movie it's tied to. Another option is they've made an instrumental album together (possibly a soundtrack that never went forward). It could just be a standalone single, but it doesn't seem meaty enough for that.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Annnndddd it's gone from iTunes.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I've managed to purchase it on my phone and it's still there but indeed I cannot download it on my PC.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I managed to Download it. PM me for it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    have a friend who's going through a rough time right now so i made her a mix the other day. put driver down on there because i still think it's one of the best things trent has ever done. it's also insane to me that it was created around the same time and for the same soundtrack as the perfect drug, since it is so drastically different.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    So, with the "For Your Consideration" versions for each score, does any of them have additional tracks that didn't make the main cut? Or just some had different titles?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'll put it here...

Atticus Ross On The Role Of Music And Sound In Film
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...sound-in-film/
    Last edited by Substance242; 08-17-2016 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Almost Holy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...most-holy-ost/

I find this Atticus-only soundtrack encouraging re: new music, if he is occupied with a soundtrack then he's likely got extra material for consideration. That excess as music makers know can produce other projects, Angels or NIN. If Reznors not on this soundtrack then perhaps he's relegated himself to the band.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...most-holy-ost/

I find this Atticus-only soundtrack encouraging re: new music, if he is occupied with a soundtrack then he's likely got extra material for consideration. That excess as music makers know can produce other projects, Angels or NIN. If Reznors not on this soundtrack then perhaps he's relegated himself to the band.
    the more i listen to atticus' scores that trent doesn't have a hand in, the more i wonder how much trent is really doing when they work on stuff together. atticus is fucking brilliant.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think that Reznors handles the production, rhythm sections & dissonance, which are the strengths of NIN. I'll have to give this record a listen, but the other Ross LP I've heard left me with the impression of a trad-sounding Hollywood production. I'm happy for Reznor in that he's found collaborators and a pal that are on the same level. Ross is great

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/0...orative-album/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    With Reznor and Ross also serving as the music supervisors, the group worked in tandem to “compose a blend of music with a cohesive vision, resulting in the score for Before the Flood along with an album to be released in October.”
    !!!

Other stuff!!!