Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dakota Access Pipeline [DAPL] Protests

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Dakota Access Pipeline [DAPL] Protests

2 years of opposition, 1,172 miles of pipe, 1.3 million Facebook check-ins. The numbers to know about the Standing Rock protests

Stand With Standing Rock

Journalist was shot by a rubber bullet while interviewing a protester.

Journalist and activist Erin Schrode wrote in a post on Wednesday that police fired rubber bullets at Standing Rock protesters who have gathered to condemn the DAPL. Her post follows multiple reports that police have used rubber bullets and pepper spray against protesters at Standing Rock.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-10-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I was there, briefly, a few weeks back, and it was fucking amazing. Best thing happening in America right now. I don't have nearly as much time for activism stuff these days because I work a lot of hours, especially during the semesters. But I did drive out there and drop off some supplies and stuff. I have friends who were there for a very long time, and one who still is.

I'm pretty worried about how things are gonna go now that Trump won. Even with Hillary I was concerned, because she gave that lukewarm statement about it that seemed really wishy-washy and non-committal. Still, I thought maybe there was some small hope. Now I fear the worst.
    Last edited by Mantra; 11-10-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm from the Arikira tribe in ND and have a some friends and family involved in this blah blah I typed this big long thing but Trump is making a lot of racists in ND feel like fucking John Wayne and I'm just now reading that Leonard Cohen died so fuck fuck fuck fuck. Fuck 2016.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    I'm from the Arikira tribe in ND and have a some friends and family involved in this blah blah I typed this big long thing but Trump is making a lot of racists in ND feel like fucking John Wayne and I'm just now reading that Leonard Cohen died so fuck fuck fuck fuck. Fuck 2016.
    The efforts have to be ramped up, I wish the media would cover this shit more!!! I know a lot of celebs have gotten involved but it needs MORE exposure! Obama put a temp restraining order on it, but he's been fucking lukewarm on it, too, as Bernie Sanders said, Obama needs to get rid of that fucking National Guard and send some people over there to watch what's going on and protect the protesters.

AND, why the fuck is that pipeline even going through, didn't Obama stop it? They need to RE-ROUTE that fucking thing.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Standing Rock Sioux Chairman takes #NODAPL to the United Nations

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The efforts have to be ramped up, I wish the media would cover this shit more!!! I know a lot of celebs have gotten involved but it needs MORE exposure! Obama put a temp restraining order on it, but he's been fucking lukewarm on it, too, as Bernie Sanders said, Obama needs to get rid of that fucking National Guard and send some people over there to watch what's going on and protect the protesters.
    Anything helps, really. The Standing Rock Sioux and the neighboring tribes all knew going in that they're going up against a cabal of corporate interests with ties all the way to the White House and others that can leverage the media into having zero interest covering what's occurring. Liberal limousine complacency is a thing that has real consequences and the people of Standing Rock are amongst those most affected by it, but we tend to prefer that over the conservatives who roll through nearby towns and use southern strategy style tactics to encourage the white population to give them their votes while throwing us under the bus (since there's not enough of us to line their pockets or hurt them anyway).

There's a lot more I wanted to say, but I'll save it when I'm feeling less anxious. My hands are shaking as I'm typing this. I do feel a lot better seeing this posted here, though. Thanks allegro.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    DAPL IGNORES 2ND ARMY CORP REQUEST TO STOP CONSTRUCTION FOR 30 DAYS

The company, builders of the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL), said on Tuesday November 8 that it planned to begin drilling in two weeks—even though at the moment it does not have the easements necessary for it to tunnel under the river legally.

Building without approved easements is a violation of federal law, the Army Corps emphasized.

"Any work must adhere to federal regulations,” the Army Corps said. “Failure to comply can bring legal action. Construction without proper permits or easements in place can result in fines and legal action."

The tribe said nothing will do but a complete environmental impact statement at the least, and a rerouting of the pipeline.
    “The only possible path forward for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe is a decision that denies the easement or subjects it to a full environmental impact statement and tribal consultation,” Archambault said. “The only urgency here arises from DAPL’s reckless decision to build to either side of the Missouri River without a permit. It even continued construction when the U.S. Government asked it to voluntarily stop.”

Demonstrations to protect burial sites and the tribe's water continue around the construction site, and the Standing Rock Sioux tribal leadership is in talks with the Army Corps to de-escalate the situation and move the camp of water protectors, both sides said.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-11-2016 at 02:37 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    BANK FUNDING PIPELINE IS INVESTIGATING VIOLATION OF STANDING ROCK SIOUX'S RIGHTS AND UNFAIR TREATMENT OF TRIBE

The bank's announcement comes nearly two months after an investigation by Food & Water Watch made public the 38 banks backing the controversial Dakota Access/Bakken pipeline. In the weeks following, YES! Magazine published the names and contact information of each bank's CEO. Hundreds of thousands of people shared the article on Facebook, and it was reprinted widely in other media outlets, creating an organized phone and email campaign to protest the banks' involvement. Around the nation, direct action campaigns at bank branches and headquarters have ranged from picketing to civil disobedience ending with arrests.

Banks reported being inundated with phone calls. Several CEO email addresses have been changed.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-11-2016 at 02:51 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Something that really made me mad me was when we found out that some counties in Minnesota were sending sheriff deputies over to fight the protesters. Locally there was a big campaign here to call and email our sheriff department and pressure them. I called a bunch of times. They did finally come back, although it wasn't because of our protests, but rather, because the time frame for their commitments had passed. The whole thing was just infuriating. This isn't like when counties send deputies to another state to help with a hurricane or some natural disaster. Why the fuck are we sending our taxpayer-funded public servants over to another state just so they can help a private corporation from Texas fight people who are protesting their shitty illegal pipeline?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Follow UpToUs on Twitter

Mni Wiconi -- Water is Life

Last edited by allegro; 11-11-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegro; 11-11-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The powers that be behind DAPL have also been involved in some really scummy viral campaigns that wouldn't fly at all under FTC if they were able to assess advertising and how it takes place through social media. It's ironic I always get a good chuckle out of the Infowars dregs who accuse every political activist situation they don't agree with as being orchestrated by Soros, but here we have something that's actually taking place. Fast-foward to 16:43 for a primer on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Something that really made me mad me was when we found out that some counties in Minnesota were sending sheriff deputies over to fight the protesters. Locally there was a big campaign here to call and email our sheriff department and pressure them. I called a bunch of times. They did finally come back, although it wasn't because of our protests, but rather, because the time frame for their commitments had passed. The whole thing was just infuriating. This isn't like when counties send deputies to another state to help with a hurricane or some natural disaster. Why the fuck are we sending our taxpayer-funded public servants over to another state just so they can help a private corporation from Texas fight people who are protesting their shitty illegal pipeline?
    There are a number of conservatives in ND who are actually pretty upset about the way the situation is being handled especially in regards to the amount of money being wasted on police force, regardless of anyone's stance on the pipeline's construction. It's a sense of disenfranchisement wherein they see Morton County PD getting stars in their eyes from all the attention this is getting and having various other police forces come in to dress up in military gear, not to mention Kevin Cramer (the United States Representative of North Dakota) leaving some of them out in the cold after Trump employed him to write his energy policy (he's one of the most staunch climate change deniers in office and opposes the EPA -- go figure) and giving little attention to much else since then other than trying to ensure the pipeline gets built.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Jordan Chariton & TYT Politics have been doing A+ work covering DAPL over the past few weeks.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    It was below freezing last night, and they decided it would be a good idea to hose the protesters down with water.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    SOme of the direct hits with the water caused skin to peel off peoples fingers down to the bone. Good stuff. Glad Obama is taking a strong stance on this. Feckless.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Jesus fucking Christ, WHY IS THIS BEING ALLOWED TO HAPPEN? These are PEACEFUL protesters.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    jesus, this is horrible. what the fuck.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Please sign (and distribute) the petition?

https://action.aclu.org/secure/Stand...ring_encrypted

Thank you!!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, WHY IS THIS BEING ALLOWED TO HAPPEN? These are PEACEFUL protesters.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The people up here fucking HATE the protesters. More than a few people I work with said they deserved the water hose. Fuck them. I'd be there protesting the pipeline if people weren't getting maimed.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    The people up here fucking HATE the protesters.
    Why?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Why?

I honestly have no idea. I think they're hearing something their friend heard from their uncle who heard it from their coworker's friends boss about 1 bad egg and they assume they're all bad. I don't know. People in this town are kind of dumb.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Why?

Because people in North Dakota are racist as fuck. The Native Americans are largely segregated from the rest of the state outside their reservations and said segregation is made possible since it's largely rural wherein most towns keep to themselves. It was the one state that wasn't affected during the Great Depression and is so isolated that it has mostly gotten away with not following the rest of the country as it becomes more socially liberal. I'd go as far as to say that even the civil rights movement of the 60's hasn't had any effect on the state -- they literally might as well have been on an entirely different planet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    To corroborate on me and raptors661's point.

https://www.facebook.com/lizgeorge27...07819761760280

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)