Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1367

Thread: Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    for a while, i honestly thought my voice just was trent fucking with us...but i'm not so sure.
    I've thought similar things about other members before. My god, we NIN/HTDA fans are so incredibly easy to fuck with. Just imagine the potential they have to mess with us on the forum!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

The first five minutes I was thinking "soooo... just like the Keep It Together video but in a cabin.... k..." and then it got awesome. Long wait but it had a strong emotional impact.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    The more people don't like it, the more I love it!
    Go on, go on.

Looking at all those reactions, I think TR succeeded with this project!

edit: and...for me, an excellent birthday present
    Last edited by witte; 11-28-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Everything HTDA has released from An Omen (musically and video atleast) I keep sharing through Facebook. Not many of my friends are into NIN or HTDA so I feel like a bit of a music nazi douchebag spreading it around but my god, I can't help it. I try to atleast keep my verbal excitment limited to my brother and fiance since they already know I'm a douche but have no means to escape it. Anyone else like this or am I just way too over excited about this EP?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    What the hell is Rob playing in that video? But, yeah, I really liked it. I almost turned it off after three minutes but I decided to keep going. Nice payoff.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    German fans:

http://smarturl.it/htdaiceagevideo

Good video. TR plucking/hitting a fucked-up prepared table harp for 7 minutes = epic win
    Last edited by botley; 11-28-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    That's a great video. Best thing Hillcoat's done since The Proposition.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    The more people don't like it, the more I love it!
    Go on, go on.

Looking at all those reactions, I think TR succeeded with this project!

edit: and...for me, an excellent birthday present
    Happy birthday dude. I hope something awesome is released on mine *COUGH like maybe the LP COUGH*

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnoorum View Post
    Everything HTDA has released from An Omen (musically and video atleast) I keep sharing through Facebook. Not many of my friends are into NIN or HTDA so I feel like a bit of a music nazi douchebag spreading it around but my god, I can't help it. I try to atleast keep my verbal excitment limited to my brother and fiance since they already know I'm a douche but have no means to escape it. Anyone else like this or am I just way too over excited about this EP?
    You just described the bulk of my online habits. Sometimes I try baiting people. When An omen_(o)(o) came out I said "hey, listen to this. so far I've heard people reference No Doubt, Sheryl Crow, and Johnny Nash" It got a few more people to listen than would have normally.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    What the hell is Rob playing in that video? But, yeah, I really liked it. I almost turned it off after three minutes but I decided to keep going. Nice payoff.
    FAIRLIGHT CMI

http://petervogelinstruments.com.au

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/fairlight_cmi.php

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Anyone else find it hilarious that there's htda on a floppy disc, but not on CD?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    The glaring weakness is Mariqueen - she's monotone, dull, lifeless, mechanical, and every other negative word you can use to describe a vocalist.
    Did you actually listen to Ice Age

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post

I have to say...this video takes the song to a completely different level.
    Agreed. Ice age isn't my favorite song, but the video turned out great and I'm giving the song a few more in depth listens.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    Ok, but only because you asked nicely.

Lets get down to brass tacks. The glaring weakness is Mariqueen - she's monotone, dull, lifeless, mechanical, and every other negative word you can use to describe a vocalist. She's pretty much Paul Banks with far less versatility, shittier lyrics, and a vagina. It seems like they tried to circumvent this weakness (her voice, not her vagina) by utilizing her, and vocals in general, as little as possible. However, putting whispered, repetitive vocals on top of minimal tracks leads to a very weak output.

Take Ice Age for example: am I really supposed to find 7 minutes of guitar/banjo plucking laced with a tedious vocal delivery compelling or worthwhile? Continues 7 second vocal pauses are littered throughout the verses and chorus, with only looped strumming to entertain us in between. I keep rolling my eyes when the distorted atmosphere comes in halfway, as if that's supposed to magically make the song more interesting. Sadly, it's the equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig. The video is even more obnoxious: M singing to a window sill while three middle-aged men dabble with cool-looking instruments. Then the video starts to glitch when the distortion starts, as if I didn't already expect that to happen.

It feels like they got pissed at everybody saying their first EP was basically NIN with female vocals, and decided to switch up their sound as much as possible. But when you strip the electric guitars and underutilize both percussion and vocals, you're left with a very limp, turgid collection of music. The feeling reminds me of Radiohead's 'The King of Limbs' - the songs aren't exactly bad or anything; they just lack any major impact.

[/rant]
    I saw someone post "For NIN: meh. For West India Girl: awesome!"
    Curious what your thoughts are on that statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I quite enjoyed the vid, I think that all of the 'glitches' and random interspersed video snippets really add to the overall experience.... more please

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I hope there are more videos from this EP based solely on the fact that the vocals get pushed further back (either in the mix or as the overall focus) as the EP progresses, which leads me to believe that the band is going to go through some pretty intense visual changes in the future.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I enjoyed watching the video. Fit the song perfectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's a PPG Realizer http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/ppgrealizer.php Very rare - apparently only two were made.

Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    TR is effective primarily because his voice has character -- and according to my pretty uneducated assessment, darn good pitch, too.
    I've always thought of his voice almost like an instrument. The way he accentuates syllabels to fit with the music is unique and brilliant. Atleast in my eyes. However, regardless how much I love his voice, I couldn't imagine him singing Ice Age. Thats Mariqueens song and I can't imagine anyone else doing it but her

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I disagree with the haters, but I can totally see where they're coming from. An omen_ EP_ is a very quite, calm, relaxing group of songs to listen to. If you like NIN because of the loud, aggressive songs you're probably not going to like the EP.

How to destroy angels_ is not Nine Inch Nails. Don't try to pretend that they are. Don't think it's going to be the same sound. You will be disappointed.

The quiet and calm instrumental stuff that TR and co. have been putting out is the main music I listen to. (That, and folk music.)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped_Savant View Post
    I disagree with the haters, but I can totally see where they're coming from. An omen_ EP_ is a very quite, calm, relaxing group of songs to listen to. If you like NIN because of the loud, aggressive songs you're probably not going to like the EP.

How to destroy angels_ is not Nine Inch Nails. Don't try to pretend that they are. Don't think it's going to be the same sound. You will be disappointed.

The quiet and calm instrumental stuff that TR and co. have been putting out is the main music I listen to. (That, and folk music.)
    That's far to easy, man. No one complained about HTDA being not NIN enough. Quite the opposite.

Plus: What's with the term "hater" nowadays? Seems to me, I'm a hater soley for trying to ellaborate my critisism(s) on new music or movies. I think, in a way that's really shouting down the more nuanced voices of dissent. That a lot of listeners/viewers honestly like or love a certain movie or album is fair enough, but the endless superlatives being hurled by critics and fans high and low help to make perspective a casualty of hype. This is not necessarily the case here with "An Omen" or the video ('though I think I know now, what Trent meant by "preaching to the choir"). I still wanted to adress that, as I've come across that term quite often in recent times...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    @Presideo reminded me how i fucking love Paul Banks' vocals, both in Interpol and Julian Plenti. I have absolutely no reason to demand even slightly comparable performance from Mariqueen but if it came just a millimeter close, i'd be so happy. damn you for drawing these parallels, which i now cannot forget!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Plus: What's with the term "hater" nowadays? Seems to me, I'm a hater soley for trying to ellaborate my critisism(s) on new music or movies.
    I used it because it's quicker than saying "People that don't like the album"....
    And okay, you're right, people aren't exactly saying that that HDTA isn't NIN enough... but when people are comparing one band to another (maybe you didn't, but others definitely have) and talking about how they like one much more than the other and that they expected something different from Reznor... Well, I'm sure you can see why that looks like they're comparing one to the other...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped_Savant View Post
    I used it because it's quicker than saying "People that don't like the album"....
    And okay, you're right, people aren't exactly saying that that HDTA isn't NIN enough... but when people are comparing one band to another (maybe you didn't, but others definitely have) and talking about how they like one much more than the other and that they expected something different from Reznor... Well, I'm sure you can see why that looks like they're comparing one to the other...
    The issue I think r_z is getting at is that "hater" is used too broadly to classify ALL people who dislike a certain form of culture. If someone provides me concrete criticism that is well thought out, then who am I to argue with their tastes? However, if someone boldly offers their opinion without merit or simply shouts numerous fallacious arguments.... then they are generally classified as a "hater"; as their dislike for the culture medium is being presented unfairly.

This thread showcases some great examples of people expressing their opinions while making their arguments completely invalid by either throwing out an incorrect facts (e.g., MaryQ didn't do the Immigrant Song because she couldn't), not having all the facts themselves (e.g., "I haven't listened to the album") or over-exaggerating opinions (e.g., "Embarrassed", "Loathsome").

All that being said, people are too quick to jump on criticism these days. We forget to ask why people have said what they have and maybe there is a good reason behind it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    As for the video, I too was waiting for something to happen.

Ice Age is not my favourite on the album as I feel the song is about 2 minutes too long. I understand the build up and the development of that 'icy' momentum, however is does wane on me near the end (that's just me though).

The video helps me get by this by providing me with something more visually interesting in the last 1/3 of the song. I love the shot out the window of the waves crashing.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
    This thread showcases some great examples of people expressing their opinions while making their arguments completely invalid by either throwing out an incorrect facts (e.g., MaryQ didn't do the Immigrant Song because she couldn't), not having all the facts themselves (e.g., "I haven't listened to the album") or over-exaggerating opinions (e.g., "Embarrassed", "Loathsome").
    Once again: I'm only commenting on the Ice Age video and song (with the first EP in mind). Actually I was just about to buy the new EP on amazon, and I saw the video had been released. So I watched it, and decided maybe I didn't want to spend that $5 after all. Are you saying I'm not qualified to an opinion on the video/song until I've listened to the whole EP? I can see that perspective. I can also see the opposite. The video/song put me off wanting more, and I'm voicing that reaction. I just felt negatively moved by that video, but maybe I should keep my feelings to myself until I have heard the whole EP: maybe the rest of it is very different from Ice Age and the first EP and I will be pleasantly surprised, who knows.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 11-29-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was recently vacationing in Cuba with the lady - while floating in the ocean I started talking about the references HTDA makes to the ocean, sun, tide etc... she then asked if they mention how the sunblock and salt water burns the eyes.

I can relate to the video. I get it, in my own little world. That's all I will say about this very different and interesting video. P.S. - Is it supposed to be depressing? I feel as though it could open up some locked up and dark rooms in my head.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    I was recently vacationing in Cuba with the lady - while floating in the ocean I started talking about the references HTDA makes to the ocean, sun, tide etc... she then asked if they mention how the sunblock and salt water burns the eyes.
    LOL AHHH that shit got me nicely. Don't mind me, I was just caught off guard from this and now I'm crying.

The video is interesting... And I really don't like watching it. In that way it fits very well because I don't wanna hear the song again.
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-29-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I didn't quite get, what you meant by "jump on critisism". Is it that too many people are to quickly judging art based on their preconceived notions without trying to understand the artists' point of view? Or that too many fans are jumping on someones criticism of a work they love (like when TDKR came out)? I'm not an English native, so forgive me if I didn't catch that right away.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I didn't quite get, what you meant by "jump on critisism". Is it that too many people are to quickly judging art based on their preconceived notions without trying to understand the artists' point of view? Or that too many fans are jumping on someones criticism of a work they love (like when TDKR came out)? I'm not an English native, so forgive me if I didn't catch that right away.
    The second interpretation is what I meant. People sometimes call someone a "hater" just because they don't share the same view or tastes as that person. Which is ridiculous, considering we all can't like everything. For example, I doubt I will ever listen to Ghosts front to back again. While interesting the first time through, and some memorable stand-out tracks; the entire package just doesn't have the staying power some other NIN releases do. Does that make me a "hater"? I don't think so; but no doubt if I said that after the release of Ghosts, I would be called a "hater" for not fawning over the entire album.

"Haters" generally are those that present criticism on the backs of illogical and uninformed arguments.