Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Type O Negative

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    (Numan reference, fuck you @Helpmeiaminhell)
    Seriously? This shit again? What does that have to do with this thread in any way..?

As TON themselves would probably say..skip it. You yourself got booted off these forums a time or two and nobody complained when you came back. A little tolerance and forgiveness never hurt anybody. This kind of unnecessary shit just kicks a hornet's nest again for no good reason..

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    It was a joke. Relax your balls.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    If I told someone on this board "fuck you" I would be banished forever. Looking forward to Erneurts slap on the wrist and pat on the back

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    You know when you make a reference to something someone doesn’t like? It was a “fuck you, I’m saying it anyway!” not “fuck you, go and die”. Relax those balls people.

I apologise, man. Didn’t mean to kick the hornet’s nest. It was just as soon as I remembered my GN-related alias back then (for NIN-leaking) you popped into my mind for a second. I didn’t intentionally mean to make you feel bad or create an antagonising situation. Again, sorry if it came across that way.

….meanwhile, just came across this gem:

Last edited by Erneuert; 07-18-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    You know when you make a reference to something someone doesn’t like? It was a “fuck you, I’m saying it anyway!” not “fuck you, go and die”. Relax those balls people.

I apologise, man. Didn’t mean to kick the hornet’s nest. It was just as soon as I remembered my GN-related alias back then (for NIN-leaking) you popped into my mind for a second. I didn’t intentionally mean to make you feel bad or create an antagonising situation. Again, sorry if it came across that way.

….meanwhile, just came across this gem:

Its all good. I'll see you on The Cure thread and we can discuss the new Cure album that Robert Smith will never release.....I have nothing to contribute on the Type O threads except for the fact my ex gf dated Pete back in 2009 lol

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Its all good. I'll see you on The Cure thread and we can discuss the new Cure album that Robert Smith will never release.....I have nothing to contribute on the Type O threads except for the fact my ex gf dated Pete back in 2009 lol
    Now you MUST elaborate!

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by falkor View Post
    Yeah, me too. I wish Pete were still around to haunt Brooklyn now that I live here. Shit, I'm two streets from Kings Highway, how's that for lyrical reference. Glad I met him, though.

What’s that metal in the middle, btw?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Guitar string.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Oh dear, now you got all the fanboy attention. There's people on here probably wishing Pete had been gay...

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post
    Oh dear, now you got all the fanboy attention. There's people on here probably wishing Pete had been gay...
    He likes goils.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    How did your conversation go?

After reading the TON wiki I didn’t realise a lot of the Dead Again lyrics were broken down into Cantos, like on S,D&H. I guess I didn’t ever take the time to read the lyric booklet properly.

Yes, I leaked (with help) those Bloody Kisses demos back in August of… I forget what year. Oh what an amazing experience that was to hear Scream (Because I Can’t) for the first time (Suspended In Dusk early version).

But then again I did leak “Break” on behalf of Saul Williams and TR back in 2007/2008 under the ‘analiencure’ (Numan reference, fuck you @Helpmeiaminhell ) with an agreement between @Leviathant (love you, man) and @eatyourblud (RIP).

It is amazing the way that life unravels. I remember being on the phone to @eatyourblud just prior to entering the 2007 Luna Park show. God, life is so amazing and so tragic.
    Oh it was amazing, dude. His stage persona was unbelievably larger than life; shouting "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" while anointing the audience with red wine, tossing pumpkins into the audience like beach balls (it was a Halloween show) and sneering "Yeah, FUCK YALE," since the show was at Toad's Place in New Haven. After he took off his chain-strapped bass guitar and snapped each strings apart on his knee at the end of the show, the crew started breaking shit down (this was 2000, so there was no security) and I saw my chance. I summoned my courage, vaulted the stage to tear off bass string as a souvenir, grabbed a couple of discarded guitar picks, and... "Hey, are you with me?" said a ~50-year old blonde guy wearing a stage crew badge. I was like "Um..." as I stuffed the bass string into the back pocket of my jean shorts. "Are you helping take down the stage - are you with me?" he asked, pointedly. "I guess so? Yes..." and with that, I was hauling cabinets and rolling equipment into the trailer behind the tour bus. I saw Kenny outside and had him sign my ticket, feeling like I was pretty lucky at that. As the cleanup progressed, Chris (the roadie) told me not to ever follow his path. "I've been doing this for years, done guitar tech for a lot of big guys. Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughn, you name it. And it's not worth it. Yeah, it looks fun, but you're on the road all the time, and you can never really have time for home or family. You are a smart guy...you've got all these books around you in this place, study your ass off and make something of your life. Don't do what I did." We closed up shop with the stage, loaded the last gear, and I figured the band was on the bus and got ready to go. "Hey," says Chris, "You want to come back stage?" I was like "Sure, that'd be cool, never seen back stage." We go down to the basement I didn't know existed past a security guy who actually did exist, saying "He's with me," and he opens the door and waves me in with a grin on his face. I walk into a medium-sized comfortably lit room with a large L-shaped couch, and seated in front of me is the Green Man in the flesh with three girls seated to his left - and three girls seated to his right. "Hey, I'm Peter," he says. "I'm Bobby," I respond, standing there like an idiot. "Nice to meet you. That show was incredible." "Here, you want some wine, Bobby?" He pours me a glass of wine, and I look back to see Chris still standing at the door grinning like the Cheshire Cat. "Well, Bobby, here's to a quick and painless death." Best toast ever. "Yeah, to good times," I mouth feebly. I mean, what the hell was I supposed to say? "You liked the show?" "Yeah, I thought it was amazing, the Halloween motif - pumpkins, etc." He laughed and we talked about the stage antics like the wine blessing and so on. "So, we just released our compilation, The Least Worst Of, this year," he says, and talks a bit about the release. After this point, my brain - I've got to be honest, I was done. I'd never met anyone remotely famous to have a conversation, much less a giant of a man who just blew away an audience I was in at the first club show I'd gone to. I mumble a few things about myself, saying I was in college and what I was studying. He nodded and took interest, but between my ears ringing and the six goth girls dressed in black in his entourage I couldn't stop looking at, I was fucking toast. I can't remember if I asked him the question I was wondering, which was why they hadn't played "Everything Dies" considering how good a song it is, but I wasn't in any condition to have a conversation anyway. He seemed content to just relax there on the couch and let time go by. I guess when things are at peace, no words are needed. Eventually Chris came over and said that they were going to be closing the club soon, so I should probably head out. I somehow remembered to ask Peter to sign my ticket and walked back to my dorm. What a trip. I'll never forget that night. I hope he got his wish...

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    That's probably one of the best stories I've ever read on this board, @falkor

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Walking into a basement dungeon where Pete fuckin' Steele is hanging out, I would have expected nothing less than bordelloesque orgies, sacrificial offerings, druids with torches, et al..

Still cool as shit you not only met the guy, but had him pour you a glass of wine, no less. That's equivalent to jesus himself pouring it for you..

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    As the cleanup progressed, Chris (the roadie) told me not to ever follow his path. "I've been doing this for years, done guitar tech for a lot of big guys. Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughn, you name it. And it's not worth it. Yeah, it looks fun, but you're on the road all the time, and you can never really have time for home or family. You are a smart guy...you've got all these books around you in this place, study your ass off and make something of your life. Don't do what I did."
    So true. People tend to only see the beauty and fame. Plus, at some point you really get too old for the shit.
    At least TON could make a living from it.
    In reality you are nonstop tired, stuck on a filthy tour bus with a shitload of drugs, alcohol, cigarette smoke (and in the case of black metal, rotting pig blood) and within a group of 10 people there's at least one whose throat you want to go for after just three days into a tour.
    Not to speak of the different characters. The helpless one that needs babysitting by the "papa/mama" band head and roadies all the time. Better to put them on a leash. The one that is always late for every damn rehearsal or departure and does not answer their phone. The one that always has had a drop too much. The one that always has to pick a fight. The one with the groupie/girl drama, that will later stand in the hotel room hallway at 4 am with some upset girl screaming at him mad with anger. ...

I wish I could have made that experience with TON, haha. I only met musicians that have met Peter. What can I say, they were all fanboys of him, too

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Now you MUST elaborate!

I dated this girl around 2014 (still friends with her now)...Very "goth" looking. Big into Wicca. Stone cold gorgeous. So of course Pete dated her lol. We were talking music one day and Type O came up and she casually threw in that she dated Pete a few years earlier and how crazy he was (in a good way). I thought she was joking until she showed me pics of the 2 of them together (2009ish).....What was interesting is she doesn't touch drugs and Pete obviously had his issues. She said she never saw him using around her. She had nothing but nice things to say about him. Pete was popular with the ladies, thats for sure

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    but had him pour you a glass of wine, no less. That's equivalent to jesus himself pouring it for you..
    Was it water first?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Was it water first?
    Probably blood..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I also remember Helpmeiambillpulsipherinhell once telling me that TON were just a knockoff Sisters of Mercy band, which makes it obvious he’s never even listened to masterpieces like World Coming Down or Life is Killing Me and should probably check those out sometime so he doesn’t look like clown soup..

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I also remember Helpmeiambillpulsipherinhell once telling me that TON were just a knockoff Sisters of Mercy band, which makes it obvious he’s never even listened to masterpieces like World Coming Down or Life is Killing Me and should probably check those out sometime so he doesn’t look like clown soup..

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Yeah, me too. I wish Pete were still around to haunt Brooklyn now that I live here. Shit, I'm two streets from Kings Highway, how's that for lyrical reference. Glad I met him, though.

so he didn't try to get YOUR 16 year old girlfriend to come backstage alone?

That was the only thing I didn't like about him
    (For the record, she didn't LOOK sixteen, and it was a 17+ club.)

He's definitely one of the coolest, most cordial "rock stars" I've ever met. He was very humble and down to earth. Oddly, he reminded me of MYSELF, and I think that's part of why I love Type O so much: he seemed like a sensitive, somewhat socially anxious sort of person to me. Add in the lyrical content, which belies hopeless romanticism and perennial heartbreak, obsession with death, addiction issues, and his going to church while ALSO being obsessed with the darker side of things, and, yeah: when I listen to Peter, I feel like I'm listening to a kindred spirit- probably more so than with any other artist.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-24-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    so he didn't try to get YOUR 16 year old girlfriend to come backstage alone?

That was the only thing I didn't like about him
    (For the record, she didn't LOOK sixteen, and it was a 17+ club.)

He's definitely one of the coolest, most cordial "rock stars" I've ever met. He was very humble and down to earth. Oddly, he reminded me of MYSELF, and I think that's part of why I love Type O so much: he seemed like a sensitive, somewhat socially anxious sort of person to me. Add in the lyrical content, which belies hopeless romanticism and perennial heartbreak, obsession with death, addiction issues, and his going to church while ALSO being obsessed with the darker side of things, and, yeah: when I listen to Peter, I feel like I'm listening to a kindred spirit- probably more so than with any other artist.
    I get it, too. And I’m not going to beat around the bush here. I’m smart. You’re smart. Peter was very smart. But being intelligent doesn’t give you a get out of jail free card from addiction or the things that resonate from it; in most cases the smarter or more artistically inclined you are the more susceptible you are to it. While I am not a church-goer, I’m constantly (I mean, daily) questioning life from theological, scientific and philosophical standpoints, with no bias to either one (as you’ve probably seen recently in the ‘oh, that’s interesting’ thread). I, too, have also been driven to the darker aesthetic and nature of life. I, too, was dependent on alcohol for a while there (all good now, for the most part), mainly to black out the anxiety I have suffered from since birth.

I think a lot of us relate in particular to World Coming Down because you have that mixture of death (Everything Dies, Everyone I Love Is Dead), the smart (Who Will Save The Sane?) — well, just look at those lyrics. Who else could rhyme or fit Pi into a song? Then you have that darker, sexual romanticism of Creepy Green Light and Pyretta Blaze. And of course the title track I posted above in its live incarnation.

But the point is, I see exactly where you’re coming from when you use the term “kindred spirit,” and why his death was so markedly heart wrenching for me, and still remains that way to this day.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Oh it was amazing, dude. His stage persona was unbelievably larger than life; shouting "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" while anointing the audience with red wine, tossing pumpkins into the audience like beach balls (it was a Halloween show) and sneering "Yeah, FUCK YALE," since the show was at Toad's Place in New Haven. After he took off his chain-strapped bass guitar and snapped each strings apart on his knee at the end of the show, the crew started breaking shit down (this was 2000, so there was no security) and I saw my chance. I summoned my courage, vaulted the stage to tear off bass string as a souvenir, grabbed a couple of discarded guitar picks, and... "Hey, are you with me?" said a ~50-year old blonde guy wearing a stage crew badge. I was like "Um..." as I stuffed the bass string into the back pocket of my jean shorts. "Are you helping take down the stage - are you with me?" he asked, pointedly. "I guess so? Yes..." and with that, I was hauling cabinets and rolling equipment into the trailer behind the tour bus. I saw Kenny outside and had him sign my ticket, feeling like I was pretty lucky at that. As the cleanup progressed, Chris (the roadie) told me not to ever follow his path. "I've been doing this for years, done guitar tech for a lot of big guys. Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughn, you name it. And it's not worth it. Yeah, it looks fun, but you're on the road all the time, and you can never really have time for home or family. You are a smart guy...you've got all these books around you in this place, study your ass off and make something of your life. Don't do what I did." We closed up shop with the stage, loaded the last gear, and I figured the band was on the bus and got ready to go. "Hey," says Chris, "You want to come back stage?" I was like "Sure, that'd be cool, never seen back stage." We go down to the basement I didn't know existed past a security guy who actually did exist, saying "He's with me," and he opens the door and waves me in with a grin on his face. I walk into a medium-sized comfortably lit room with a large L-shaped couch, and seated in front of me is the Green Man in the flesh with three girls seated to his left - and three girls seated to his right. "Hey, I'm Peter," he says. "I'm Bobby," I respond, standing there like an idiot. "Nice to meet you. That show was incredible." "Here, you want some wine, Bobby?" He pours me a glass of wine, and I look back to see Chris still standing at the door grinning like the Cheshire Cat. "Well, Bobby, here's to a quick and painless death." Best toast ever. "Yeah, to good times," I mouth feebly. I mean, what the hell was I supposed to say? "You liked the show?" "Yeah, I thought it was amazing, the Halloween motif - pumpkins, etc." He laughed and we talked about the stage antics like the wine blessing and so on. "So, we just released our compilation, The Least Worst Of, this year," he says, and talks a bit about the release. After this point, my brain - I've got to be honest, I was done. I'd never met anyone remotely famous to have a conversation, much less a giant of a man who just blew away an audience I was in at the first club show I'd gone to. I mumble a few things about myself, saying I was in college and what I was studying. He nodded and took interest, but between my ears ringing and the six goth girls dressed in black in his entourage I couldn't stop looking at, I was fucking toast. I can't remember if I asked him the question I was wondering, which was why they hadn't played "Everything Dies" considering how good a song it is, but I wasn't in any condition to have a conversation anyway. He seemed content to just relax there on the couch and let time go by. I guess when things are at peace, no words are needed. Eventually Chris came over and said that they were going to be closing the club soon, so I should probably head out. I somehow remembered to ask Peter to sign my ticket and walked back to my dorm. What a trip. I'll never forget that night. I hope he got his wish...

I finally got around to reading this and, wow, what an opportunity, sorry for not recognising the guitar string. That’s funny. Three on either side of him, god damn. Regarding the question you forgot to ask; yeah, I’ve always found it strange for bands to release music videos for songs and not play them live. Ironically, EILID was only released as a promo single and was done live.

Amazing story. That actually parallels a situation I was in back in… 2010 or 2011? I’m a huge Joy Division/New Order fan. I’m at a gig here down in Sydney, and a guy I was talking to before the show is handed a backstage pass. Because we’d been talking he let me go in with him. So, I follow. I end up in a room, given a beer, sit there for 10-15 minutes, and then ushered upstairs to a room where Bernard, Stephen Morris, Gillian Gilbert, Phil Cunningham and Tom Chapman (Hooky’s replacement bass guitarist) were all sitting, having beers. I had a shit ton of stuff signed, and had, at one of his solo gigs, met Peter Hook after an Unknown Pleasures concert. That was all really surreal to me as well. Still have the signed stuff in storage and need to get it framed one day.

Gillian took a picture or two of me with Bernard on her own phone, so I never got to see them. The best I have is a grainy video of me talking to Bernard about Hooky that I can take some stills from. Got photos with the rest of them.

So I kind of know what an experience like that feels like. Right place, right time. Kudos to you dude!
    Last edited by Erneuert; 07-25-2021 at 12:37 AM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    TDID and Electrocute live? Really?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/type-...-23f4e007.html

Rare performance of Pyretta Blaze live:

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Never seen this before? Cool opening with Frozen.

This gig? - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/type-...-2bcc2076.html

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I get it, too. And I’m not going to beat around the bush here. I’m smart. You’re smart. Peter was very smart. But being intelligent doesn’t give you a get out of jail free card from addiction or the things that resonate from it; in most cases the smarter or more artistically inclined you are the more susceptible you are to it. While I am not a church-goer, I’m constantly (I mean, daily) questioning life from theological, scientific and philosophical standpoints, with no bias to either one (as you’ve probably seen recently in the ‘oh, that’s interesting’ thread). I, too, have also been driven to the darker aesthetic and nature of life. I, too, was dependent on alcohol for a while there (all good now, for the most part), mainly to black out the anxiety I have suffered from since birth.
    Yeah, dude: 100%.
    The more you think, and the more CAPABLE you are of deep thoughts, the darker things can get. And, I agree: such thoughts can absolutely lead to addiction. A GOOD percentage of the smartest people I've ever known wound up becoming alcoholics or addicts.
    For the record, I've not been to church in a long, LONG time...at least a year and a half.
    But, like you, i, too, view things from philosophical, theological and metaphysical standpoints. I spend an ABSURD amount of time looking for "the answer," in books, and YouTube videos like you posted.
    And Peter going to church at the end: I REALLY think he was like us, in that respect.

World Coming Down is TON's "magnum opus," for me. A lot of people would choose Bloody Kisses, but I feel like he was halfway kidding with a lot of that record. October Rust was a LITTLE more serious.

But, WCD was where things got REAL.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Yeah, dude: 100%.
    The more you think, and the more CAPABLE you are of deep thoughts, the darker things can get. And, I agree: such thoughts can absolutely lead to addiction. A GOOD percentage of the smartest people I've ever known wound up becoming alcoholics or addicts.
    For the record, I've not been to church in a long, LONG time...at least a year and a half.
    But, like you, i, too, view things from philosophical, theological and metaphysical standpoints. I spend an ABSURD amount of time looking for "the answer," in books, and YouTube videos like you posted.
    And Peter going to church at the end: I REALLY think he was like us, in that respect.

World Coming Down is TON's "magnum opus," for me. A lot of people would choose Bloody Kisses, but I feel like he was halfway kidding with a lot of that record. October Rust was a LITTLE more serious.

But, WCD was where things got REAL.
    And then with LIKM… I really find that record difficult to define. I remember them saying WCD was so doom and gloom that the only way was to go “up,” but then we still have songs about his parents in Nettie and Todd’s Ship Gods, plus Anesthesia. I wonder how the record would have been received if they retained the original promo CD track listing and kept IYDKMIGTHTKY as the album closer? Being about addiction and being the final track on the record at one point, that song obviously meant a lot to Pete. What a fitting album closer it would have been, too: “we’re out of tiiii-i-ime.”

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    And then with LIKM… I really find that record difficult to define. I remember them saying WCD was so doom and gloom that the only way was to go “up,” but then we still have songs about his parents in Nettie and Todd’s Ship Gods, plus Anesthesia. I wonder how the record would have been received if they retained the original promo CD track listing and kept IYDKMIGTHTKY as the album closer? Being about addiction and being the final track on the record at one point, that song obviously meant a lot to Pete. What a fitting album closer it would have been, too: “we’re out of tiiii-i-ime.”
    Here's a fun story:
    I fucked off a job I loved, and lost a girlfriend, in the same week.
    And I stayed in my room, with World Coming Down (the song) on repeat for about 60 hours, and didn't come out.

Finally, one of my best friends and his girlfriend showed up and snuck in the room. She climbed on top of me, (she weighed about 95 pounds,) and put three valiums in my mouth, before I realized what was going on, and her man literally poured a double shot of whiskey in my mouth with which to wash it down. Then, they made me go to a party.
    My parents had apparently told them what I'd been doing.

But, THAT'S how much I relate, and related to, that song. I listened to it a couple hundred times in a row, LITERALLY, during a seriously dark part of my younger years.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Here's a fun story:
    I fucked off a job I loved, and lost a girlfriend, in the same week.
    And I stayed in my room, with World Coming Down (the song) on repeat for about 60 hours, and didn't come out.

Finally, one of my best friends and his girlfriend showed up and snuck in the room. She climbed on top of me, (she weighed about 95 pounds,) and put three valiums in my mouth, before I realized what was going on, and her man literally poured a double shot of whiskey in my mouth with which to wash it down. Then, they made me go to a party.
    My parents had apparently told them what I'd been doing.

But, THAT'S how much I relate, and related to, that song. I listened to it a couple hundred times in a row, LITERALLY, during a seriously dark part of my younger years.
    I’ve done very similar things with that song. Perhaps not to that extent but it is extremely impactful, that’s for sure. Especially the chanting monk section. “Better to burn quickly and bright…” - that’s resonated with me countless times.

Sounds like you have good friends!