Page 75 of 528 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 175 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 15824

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Yeah, it would be a shame to see the YZ series go to waste. Whether you like the album or not, you have to admit it was prophetic. Even Trent said that he used to have high hopes for Obama when he got elected, but "Year Zero is happening now".
    I wonder if HBO passed on it because they thought it might get them in hot water? Granted, HBO will give you sex and violence all day long, but they are very careful with the social commentary. True Blood at least has some real-world applications to politics, but it's usually pretty darn banal (though I haven't seen the latest season yet, so who knows.)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    sometimes i think i'm the only one who likes this...
    Won't argue that

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    This is a random ETS thought, but:

I just donated today, and now I'm worried that I'm going to be accidentally facepalming people for the next month or so.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    sometimes i think i'm the only one who likes this...
    No, I like it too, it's got a great atmosphere and the drum machine's sound is adorable.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    It's just occurred to me that Donnie Darko's time portal is a bit like The Presence. Is The Warning actually about Jake Gyllenhaal?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    This is a random ETS thought, but:

I just donated today, and now I'm worried that I'm going to be accidentally facepalming people for the next month or so.
    i wonder how many of us are going to end up with josh/alex wink/black bomb-related subtitles...

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Came back haunted is like the first drag off of the cigarette where you feel so much better. Copy Of A is like finishing that cigarette up, not a bad drag yet. Everything is like pulling too hard and beginning to burn your finger.

I feel like this will change in 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Someone posted this on the NIN subreddit. I thought it was pretty interesting to see how similar yet different they are. He's even holding the mic exactly the same in both pics.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    so where did his neck go?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post

Someone posted this on the NIN subreddit. I thought it was pretty interesting to see how similar yet different they are. He's even holding the mic exactly the same in both pics.
    God damn it, I did the facepalm thing. I knew it was going to happen today. Sorry about that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I wonder how TR would handle writing an album that wasn't a concept album, but also wasn't at all about himself.
    We have YZ, and then the rest of his albums, sans ghosts, are pretty much entirely introspective creations.
    It'd be interesting to see TR write songs about things he sees as compelling or polarizing in one way or the other.

Like, Car Crashes, The tradition of opening windows when people pass away, etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Over the weekend I picked up Further Down the Spiral, March of the Pigs (single) and And All That Could Have Been (CD) for $2 total at a local record store. I have owned all of these at one time but no longer did......so it kind of made my day.
    Last edited by spiralout; 08-22-2013 at 01:57 AM. Reason: words

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The scala setlist looked fan-fucking-tastic. Lucky bastards.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
    Over the weekend I picked up Further Down the Spiral, March of the Pigs (single) and And All That Could Have Been (CD) for $2 total at a local record store. I have owned all of these at one time but no longer did......so it kind of made my day.
    Charlie Sheen?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post

Obvious musical reasons aside, this is pretty much why Trent is sitting fairly comfortably at the top of my list of artists to look up to. To see someone go from being so completely drugged out of their mind that they couldn't sing their own words to...well...this? An Oscar/Grammy winning composer who's pushing 50, in (it appears) amazing physical shape, and still going strong with a career that's spanned over two decades? Damn, that's inspiring (and why there's a lot of NIN on my running/gym playlists).

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Those first two NIN shows changed my fucking life!!!

I've seen countless shows over the years but nothing, not one damn single thing can compare to the two shows I've seen so far this week. Regardless of how many streams or tapings I've watched, my mind and body was not prepared for those shows. Those shows exceeded every expectation and dream imaginable. God-damn-fucking-WOW!

I just wish it was possible for me to see NIN sooner than this, and goodness knows I tried., But hey, those were my breaks and I guess it made getting to Scala all the more sweeter.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    It's my 26th birthday. Never have the lyrics to Wish felt more relevant.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    happy birthday jake! may your next 26 years be no way to hell and more fist fuck!

guess I'll have to play the song myself next year when the clock strikes midnight!
    Last edited by dlb; 08-22-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    HB, brah... I've been there since this past Feb. It hasn't been easy.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    happy birthday jake! may your next 26 years be no way to hell and more fist fuck!
    Thank you very much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    HB, brah... I've been there since this past Feb. It hasn't been easy.
    Yeah, 25 into 26 had some of the best and worst moments of my life so far. Here's hoping it's at least a little bit of smooth sailings for the most part. Thanks though friend!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    In 2009, a lot of terrible shit happened. Trent put NIN on hold/end/hiatus (I knew he'd be back someday, but it still bummed me out), I lost one parent to a disease they battled with for years, and the other had a stroke and was almost paralyzed, resulting in my becoming a caretaker for almost every spare moment of my life. Without baring too much of my soul on a public forum to a bunch of relative strangers (I've been posting sporadically since the AATCHB days, but I've never really been a board regular), I've felt pretty numb for a lot of these past few years, and it's taken me a long time to recuperate.

It's a very strange thing, going through awful times and not having new NIN to relate to emotionally on some level like I've always been used to. It was probably a good thing though, some parts of the catalogue I couldn't bear to replay for fear of a total breakdown.

Anyhow, here I am, four years down the line. Long story short, things are better. I've grieved. My remaining parent has recuperated enough to have a degree of self-autonomy sufficient enough that we've been able to move apart (though I still help with whatever is needed a few times a week). I'm in a new relationship with a wonderful lady. That hasn't happened in years.

To have Trent come out now, resurrect NIN, and most importantly, to put out an album that reflects on the dark times in his life, all he's been through, an album that can get downright happy at times...fuck, the parallels boggle my mind. It's the perfect time for what is shaping up to be - at least for me - the perfect NIN album for right now, when I too am feeling better than I have in years.

That said, I braved Still for the first time in half a decade, yesterday. Holy shit do AATCHB and Leaving Hope still hit hard. But I'm glad I was able to do it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    By the time TR retires (let's say/hope not before 2030) his two sons will be old enough to follow in their daddy's footsteps. They even look like him (at least from the back) and if Trent can get them into music they're gonna kick so much ass. Having TR as your dad is probably the coolest thing ever, I hope they're no going to grow up liking dubstep and thinking their dad is lame...

I know this random thought is about Trent's private life/kids, and we should be careful with what we say, but this has just crossed my mind.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I'm nearing the end of my 26...it's very apt for this age.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I'm nearing the end of my 26...it's very apt for this age.
    it's funny to me how many of us are 26(ish).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it's funny to me how many of us are 26(ish).

I'm 28

(ten characters)

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I'm 28

(ten characters)

Shaddup I'm 37. You kids better get your iphones, ponies and PS4s and gettoutta my lawn.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Shaddup I'm 37. You kids better get your iphones, ponies and PS4s and gettoutta my lawn.
    at least you're not a 48-year-old single dude who spent an entire wednesday arguing with EVERYONE on here :: cough cough promethean cough cough ::

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    at least you're not a 48-year-old single dude who spent an entire wednesday arguing with EVERYONE on here :: cough cough promethean cough cough ::
    You know... I see myself doing that. Past 35, 11 years ? Might as well be weeks.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    What would the Trent of the TDS era think of "Everything"?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    What would the Trent of the TDS era think of "Everything"?
    No way to tell... On one hand I remember him saying - back then - that fun-loving surf pop-rock songs weren't his stuff (as in, mood-like, I'm heavily paraphrasing here). On the other hand, he may as well listen to it and wonder "how the fuck does this guy do all this shit ? I could try something like that".