Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Trent Reznor Writing Theme Song for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Well come on, this is like the Tomb Raider soundtrack all over again. This is a time for solemness and mourning.

Hang your NIN flags at half-mast everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    What are you on about? I've not even heard that this film is happening, let alone with Fincher as director, which I assume is the only way TR&AR would score it.

As for COD, I think this is the right game for him to be involved with. Treyarch is really trying to push in a new direction, though most of you don't seem to have any idea about that. I'm a big COD player and Treyarch is definitely the better company in the series. Their approach to this next game is also one that I feel will benefit from having Reznor make the theme. I'm excited.
    I completely agree with you. Treyarch studios is attempting to do something different with the franchise which is very refreshing. Also considering that the story for COD:BLOPS2 has David S. Goyer attached means it could be something very interesting.

EDIT: Oh, and you guys realize that the COD franchise is popular for a reason right? It does what it does unapologetically well and no one has done it better yet.
    Last edited by Paper Street; 07-10-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Internet bullshit.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Well damn, I would have thought the college funds would be covered by now, what with being a big-selling artist with years of successful touring, not to mention recently scoring two major hollywood films. What the fuck kinda school is he planning to send them to?
    Ahahahahahaha.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    ^yeah i know they lost money with some of those tours, like I remember him saying something about losing money on those european shows after year zero came out i think. what the fuck do i know.

I mean, if he really needs the money, whatever, but I was kinda under the impression he was doing alright. Not that it's any of my business, obviously, I'm just saying, it was way more understandable when Saul Williams did the Nike commercial than when Led Zeppelin did their car commercial thing.

I suppose he may also legitimately love the game. That might might be worse though. I thought he was supposed to have good taste or something.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Perhaps the game's futuristic setting will have some ties with Year Zero story. Seems feasible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The idiots are really out in full force in this thread. Trent likes the games. The games are extremely popular and are mindlessly fun to play online. Treyarch is trying to make a good singleplayer experience akin to the first Modern Warfare and the earlier CoD games. Trent was asked to do the theme song. Trent said yes. Easy as that. Now hush.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I don't think Trent is selling out just because he decided to do this, just like I don't think he and Atticus sold out when they did The Social Network score (gah, I can still hear complaints about that). He's a fan who was asked to do something for a game series he enjoys. I'm sure he's getting paid nicely for this, but I'm willing to bet that wasn't his sole motivation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I don't think Trent is selling out just because he decided to do this, just like I don't think he and Atticus sold out when they did The Social Network score (gah, I can still hear complaints about that). He's a fan who was asked to do something for a game series he enjoys. I'm sure he's getting paid nicely for this, but I'm willing to bet that wasn't his sole motivation.
    If money was his motivation in these sort of cases, why did he reject Fincher's first offer for The Social Network? I'm sure after winning an Academy Award he got plenty of offers to score other movies, and yet, if that happened, he rejected them. People are going to bitch and there's little to nothing you can do to make them change their mind.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Battlefield player

Oh, I feel...so..much...pain. It's like seeing your girlfriend kissing the guy you hate!

Oh, the horror!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Bitches gotta make dem dollahs.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    What are you on about? I've not even heard that this film is happening, let alone with Fincher as director, which I assume is the only way TR&AR would score it.

As for COD, I think this is the right game for him to be involved with. Treyarch is really trying to push in a new direction, though most of you don't seem to have any idea about that. I'm a big COD player and Treyarch is definitely the better company in the series. Their approach to this next game is also one that I feel will benefit from having Reznor make the theme. I'm excited.
    Im just going off assumptions, i heard well before GWDTT came out that Fincher was making new films based off all three from the books. It was so long ago i cant give a link or anything, it might have been on TV/Radio that I heard about it. I havent heard confromation that TRAR are doing the score but it would make sense though. If they dint, i would totally kill the contunity of the films. Come on guys, TR's a perfectionist. This has been know since like TDS days.

I agree with you on the Treyarchs defenitaly the better company for COD, especiay since IW fell apart acouple years back. The final product that ended up being MW3 felt like a half finished game, especially considering that they had to bring Sledgehammer in to finish it after half the studio left.

Black ops 2 is going to kick ass, the fiction that Treyarch has developed here is awesome.

People are really freaking out here! I would have loved to TR do the sound design for like say, Halo 4 instead though. But they got a guy thats associated with Massive Attack for that project (help me out guys, i forget his name. Neil something?)
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 07-11-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I hope the new track is so badass it will make Tetsuo theme sound like Mozart

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    ^yeah i know they lost money with some of those tours, like I remember him saying something about losing money on those european shows after year zero came out i think. what the fuck do i know.

I mean, if he really needs the money, whatever, but I was kinda under the impression he was doing alright. Not that it's any of my business, obviously, I'm just saying, it was way more understandable when Saul Williams did the Nike commercial than when Led Zeppelin did their car commercial thing.

I suppose he may also legitimately love the game. That might might be worse though. I thought he was supposed to have good taste or something.
    What exactly the fuck are your panties all in a wad about? It probably took the man all of a long weekend to make the damn music. Not like it took precious time away from anything you deem worthy of his time.

It made him money. It was probably really fun to make. It keeps his name out there while he's working on other shit. Maybe the dudebros will even buy his next album now. Go wash out your panties.
    Last edited by jessamineny; 07-11-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I agree, some people here are over reacting. It isn't like he is judging on American idol or something stupid like that. Regardless, he has the right to do whatever the fuck he wants.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I hope the new track is so badass it will make Tetsuo theme sound like Mozart
    Wait, are you saying Mozart is bad? I'm confused

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I agree, some people here are over reacting. It isn't like he is judging on American idol or something stupid like that. Regardless, he has the right to do whatever the fuck he wants.
    Well, we are talking about NIN fans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Well, we are talking about NIN fans.
    And it certainly has been a while since they were allowed to whine, so the reaction level is on code RED right now.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
    And it certainly has been a while since they were allowed to whine, so the reaction level is on code RED right now.
    lol! but seriously people, come on! I remember a time when we had to wait YEARS before we would hear anything new at all from Trent! Its been practicaly every couple months now since he left interscope that we get some new song/project/ect. There has never been a better time to be a NIN fan than now. IMO, the more "pop culture" Trent can put his mark on, the better.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 07-11-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Unless you're playing over in the nin.com forums, I think you're vastly (and curiously) overstating this. There's barely two pages here, with just a few people who are easily ignored/slapped down.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I kinda freaked out when I read the news - not because I'm a huge fan of the COD series, though I have no problem saying I own Modern Warfare 2 and the original Black Ops - but because it's new music from TR! Not only that, it's written specifically for a (major) video-game. That alone is super cool. It could be a series I have no interest in, and it wouldn't matter. I'm a fan of video-games in general, so my favorite artist stepping in to write something for anything within that realm is pretty awesome. It doesn't hurt that I had no way of predicting this, so I equate it to found money. It's a pleasant, interesting way to ease the wait for the HTDA full-length, too - we may even get that LP before Black Ops is released.

I'm honestly curious how the song will be used in the game. I wasn't planning on buying or playing it prior to this news, but again, I enjoy the games, so I could be swayed in situations like these.

I'm specifically wondering if the theme song will be more of a title-screen/intro cut-scene track, or if it'll be more akin to the use of "Tears" by HEALTH in Max Payne 3 (in that it's actually cued during gameplay). I'm thinking and hoping it'll be the latter. I found HEALTH's score for Max Payne to be quite effective, but 2 of the most memorable sequences were definitely the more song-based moments like "Tears" and "Severin" in the final stages.

EDIT: I love that Trent is a Heavy Rain fan.
    Last edited by Deadpool; 07-11-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Im just going off assumptions, i heard well before GWDTT came out that Fincher was making new films based off all three from the books. It was so long ago i cant give a link or anything, it might have been on TV/Radio that I heard about it. I havent heard confromation that TRAR are doing the score but it would make sense though. If they dint, i would totally kill the contunity of the films. Come on guys, TR's a perfectionist. This has been know since like TDS days.
    Fair enough, but after Dragon Tattoo, Fincher has another project going and it was never confirmed that the studio would even do the other two, let alone with Fincher directing. At least, last I checked.

I agree with you on the Treyarchs defenitaly the better company for COD, especiay since IW fell apart acouple years back. The final product that ended up being MW3 felt like a half finished game, especially considering that they had to bring Sledgehammer in to finish it after half the studio left.
    Yeah, IW became a mess shortly after the release of MW2. Black Ops, while maybe not graphically superior, is a much better game in my opinion. Plus it's got Zombies, which is a huge added bonus for online players. So much so that Treyarch have completely revamped their approach to Zombies and I'm very much looking forward to BO2. MW3's release arrived without any anticipation from me, as did the original BO, but after playing BO and seeing how much Treyarch did right, I'm really excited. It's really easy for people to say that each game is a rehash since there are a lot of things that are kept consistent, but while MW2 and MW3 are VERY similar, BO is very different. Other than the basic gameplay mechanics and idea, there's so much that Treyarch did differently than IW. Bungie made all the Halo games, correct? I don't see as much hate on those game for being repetitive, and yet when I played Halo 2 and 3, it felt like the same thing. I'm not an active Halo player, so I can't be sure that they're just rehashing, but I don't go around bitching that they are, either.

People are really freaking out here! I would have loved to TR do the sound design for like say, Halo 4 instead though. But they got a guy thats associated with Massive Attack for that project (help me out guys, i forget his name. Neil something?)
    I had to look this up because it was news to me and got me excited. Neil Davidge is the person you are referring to, and even though I'm a huge Massive Attack fan, I wasn't sure who this guy is. I thought you meant one of the two main guys from MA, but Neil is their producer. Still cool, and I'll be interested to hear what he does.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Unless you're playing over in the nin.com forums, I think you're vastly (and curiously) overstating this. There's barely two pages here, with just a few people who are easily ignored/slapped down.
    I was partly joking and basing my statement on the array of comments made in various areas in the interwebs, not just here.

Also - I think, in general, people are just excited that something has been announced. Even if Trent had announced something as mundane as a tuna sandwich on wheat being his next choice for lunch - someone, somewhere would have lamented his poor choice of bread.
    Last edited by Torgo; 07-11-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I was partly joking and basing my statement on the array of comments made in various areas in the interwebs, not just here.

Also - I think, in general, people are just excited that something has been announced. Even if Trent had announced something as mundane as a tuna sandwich on wheat being his next choice for lunch - someone, somewhere would have lamented his poor choice of bread.
    lol
    mulitgrain > wheat though, so id have to agree. poor choice indeed

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Wow, you guys, fuck. I guess I shouldn't have gotten SO FUCKING EXCITED that Trent wrote a song for a video game about futuristic war bullshit that I can totally see tying in with YZ.
    But, yeah, since people hate a game that hasn't even come out because they have an opinion on previous games put out by a different company, bwah bwah bwah.

I have Black Ops 2 pre-ordered, it's my birthday present, this only makes it better. Bitch all you want about how you don't like the game, WE'RE GETTING A NEW SONG FROM TRENT. WE GOT CONFIRMATION THAT HTDA MUSIC IS BEING TWEAKED AND WE'RE ABOUT TO GET A LOT OF COOL SHIT FROM THAT. WE GOT CONFORMATION THAT HE'S WORKING ON NEW NIN.

I can see why sometimes Trent gets pissed at his fans. A lot of us are thank-less douches. I seriously want to face-palm most of the posts in here, and hope Teitan doesn't come around and see them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I just want more announcements about his beard.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    song for a video game about futuristic war bullshit that I can totally see tying in with YZ.
    that was the first thing i thought when i saw the new trailer too, this is totally something along the lines of the bleak, dystopian future painted by Year Zero. futuristic cold war with china over natural resources and cyber-hacking terrorisim type stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    I just want more announcements about his beard.
    beard is old news man, im waiting for word on when the zorro look is returning!
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 07-11-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So, is the music in the new trailer the whole thing do we think, or is it longer than that? Title themes for games seem to get shorter and shorter these days.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Please, with the YZ2 connection speculation... I'll eat my hair.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm not a big fan of these types of games, but they can be fun at times. I'm just looking at this as a pure bonus, hopefully this ends up as some kind of cool cousin to the Bullet Man theme, which I loved. It might convince me to pick up the game, it may not. I'll play the wait and see approach, I haven't much of a big gamer these days, although that definitely goes in waves for me.

I mostly just care that the HTDA album is done. So I only see good news here.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    WE GOT CONFORMATION
    :thumbsup: