Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Not even.... sports entertainment as the WWE still hasn't inducted Macho Man Randy Savage?
    Make no mistake, theirs is a bigger sham than this one is. WWE's is basically either people in the McMahon family's good graces, or someone they can make some money off of by putting out DVD's and whatnot.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The RnR HoF is all about $25,000 per table, and advertising revenue for a "not-for-profit" sham entity.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    @Star , I don't think that it is people thinking that Trent doesn't "deserve" to be in. It is people thinking that there are other acts who came before him who should be in first. I don't think that anyone here believes that he shouldn't be in(I might be wrong).

The bigger question I have is if he shows up or not when he gets in - this year, or in the future. Like, that seems to be the wildcard to me.
    I respectfully disagree, if we waited on everyone who deserved to be inducted, we may be waiting a very long time. I for one would rather see it sooner then later. Good to know everyone is in agreement that he deserves it because that is not how it was reading to me.
    And you are right as Allegro previously mentioned, who knows if he would show up. I kind of think he might but no one really knows for sure, except him.

EDIT:*Nevermind, Googled it*
    Last edited by Star; 10-11-2014 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    No, there is nobody here who thinks NIN doesn't "deserve" to be in it. There are a lot of people who think the HoF is lame. There's the difference.

Edit: ^ and what he said. The HoF would not let any former members of NIN play, anyway. Hell, they wouldn't let two of the current members of Kiss into the building.
    I don't know, I thought they did a good job with the Nirvana performance last year. They got some extremely talented women to take Kurt's place and picked up where they left from their final show on March 1, 1994. It was great. I think Trent would be the only member of NIN inducted, because it's been stated many times he's the only real member of it. It's more of a project to me than it is a band. Robin Finck is the closest thing to a second member to me.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 10-11-2014 at 11:02 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    I respectfully disagree, if we waited on everyone who deserved to be inducted, we may be waiting a very long time. I for one would rather see it sooner then later. Good to know everyone is in agreement that he deserves it because that is not how it was reading to me.
    And you are right as Allegro previously mentioned, who knows if he would show up. I kind of think he might but no one really knows for sure, except him.

Allegro, I could be wrong and I know you know more about Kiss then I do but, wasn't it Gene and Paul who instructed the HOF to keep them away?
    No, only the original 4 founding members of Kiss were inducted by the HoF and Paul and Gene were told that only the 4 original members would be allowed to perform and (pay to) sit on the main floor. The other former and current members of Kiss would have to pay to sit in the balcony with the other spectators.

When it was announced original guitarist Ace Frehley and original drummer Peter Criss would be inducted alongside founding members Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley, and current guitarist Tommy Thayer and drummer Eric Singer would not be, nor would the many other players in the band’s rotating lineup through the past four decades, Kiss announced it would not perform at the ceremony.

As far as the induction itself, “it means nothing,” Stanley said. “It’s quickly becoming much clearer to the public that the real Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are the people who walk the streets and buy concert tickets.”

“The real Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not the Jann Wenner (co-founder and publisher of Rolling Stone magazine)/ Dave Marsh (music critic, author and editor)/Jon Landau (music critic, producer, and artist manager) club. But I will absolutely be there because it validates our fans who have pushed for this.”

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the explanation, I just finished Googling it. And that is screwed up. I wonder what Ace and Peter thought about the situation.
    Last edited by Star; 10-11-2014 at 11:07 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, Paul said some shit about it in his acceptance speech. It was pretty funny.
    He was not very happy.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I don't know, I thought they did a good job with the Nirvana performance last year. They got some extremely talented women to take Kurt's place and picked up where they left from their final show on March 1, 1994. It was great. I think Trent would be the only member of NIN inducted, because it's been stated many times he's the only real member of it. It's more of a project to me than it is a band. Robin Finck is the closest thing to a second member to me.
    The performances can SOMETIMES be worth watching. Sometimes they're a total train wreck and awful.

Kinda like the Grammies. Or the VMAs in the 90s.

Kim Gordon singing Aneurysm was priceless.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-11-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    No, only the original 4 founding members of Kiss were inducted by the HoF and Paul and Gene were told that only the 4 original members would be allowed to perform and (pay to) sit on the main floor. The other former and current members of Kiss would have to pay to sit in the balcony with the other spectators.
    How come Guns n Roses were allowed to play without Axl ? Did they change the rules? I guess Kurt being dead they approved someone taking his place

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    How come Guns n Roses were allowed to play without Axl ? Did they change the rules? I guess Kurt being dead they approved someone taking his place
    Not only that but it was Dave and Krist that came up with the idea for the replacing Kurt, but I think everyone had a hunch they would try it. Pat Smear also played with them too and he wasn't official Nirvana member yet. I think he was going to be had Kurt not died. Chad Channing got screwed though because he plays on the entirety of Bleach (except for Dale Crover on like two songs) but Dave gave him a shoutout during his speech so that was cool.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    They change the rules all the damned time! On a whim!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    If NIN gets in, I just want to see Gary Talpas in the band or it won't be the TRUE nin.

But seriously, NWA and Lou Reed deserve this more right now, Trent can have his day in the future

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Because they were betting Axl would come and it would be a big TV moment, etc, etc. I think they have a pretty loose policy as to who plays with who, and that it's really whoever the artists inducted feel like doing it with. John Fogerty refused to play with the remaining members of Creedence Clearwater Revival, but was more than happy to do so with the house band, Bruce Springsteen and Robbie Robertson.

The more stricter policy I don't quite understand is only inducting certain members or line-ups of one band. Black Sabbath being the biggest one I can think of, but there are others. One that really sticks in my craw is why Anthony Philips wasn't inducted with Genesis, or John Rutsey with Rush.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    "Nirvana" playing the HoF without Kurt just shows what BS it is, since Kurt WAS Nirvana....It was just another platform for mr rock n roll star Dave Grohl to take center stage and be the center of attention as usual...the Nirvana induction was more the Dave Grohl show than a Kurt thing...

if Trent gets in, maybe Bill Leeb and Alien Jourgensen can induct him..

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    "Nirvana" playing the HoF without Kurt just shows what BS it is, since Kurt WAS Nirvana....It was just another platform for mr rock n roll star Dave Grohl to take center stage and be the center of attention as usual...the Nirvana induction was more the Dave Grohl show than a Kurt thing...

In the HoF's defence, they tried to get Kurt to play but he wasn't picking up the phone

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Clearly, you are just to hip for this board and a music snob. A Frontline Assembly reference that probably no one got. And seriously what is all the hate for Dave Grohl? Oh, that's right anyone who makes money selling their music is a sell out. It must be exhausting hating everything with such a passion.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Bill likes Pearl Jam. So, he doesn't hate everything
    Last edited by icecream; 10-12-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: auto correct on my phone

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    In the HoF's defence, they tried to get Kurt to play but he wasn't picking up the phone
    The séance thing they planned woulda been really cool. Courtney nixed it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    NIN is in first for the first time I've seen. TR is 1% ahead of Stevie Ray Vaughan, so be sure to keep voting, and share the voting link all over Twitter & Facebook to keep this rolling.
    Last edited by Syndicate; 10-12-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    NIN is in first for the first time I've seen. TR is 1% ahead of Stevie Ray Vaughan, so be sure to keep voting, and share the voting link all over Twitter & Facebook to keep this rolling.
    I think you expect the audience vote to be far more important than it is

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    If NIN gets in, I just want to see Gary Talpas in the band or it won't be the TRUE nin.

But seriously, NWA and Lou Reed deserve this more right now, Trent can have his day in the future
    Lou is dead and he wouldn't have given a shit about being inducted solo. When he accepted the VU induction it was basically a wake for Sterling Morrison.
    Last edited by botley; 10-12-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    they should not have played. period... when lou reed gets inducted, they should get his backing band from his solo records to play and bring in people like billy corgan and james hetfield to sing his songs...same thing

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    they should not have played. period... when lou reed gets inducted, they should get his backing band from his solo records to play and bring in people like billy corgan and james hetfield to sing his songs...same thing
    That would be amazing

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    The problem with the performances at the ceremony is there's ZERO consistency when it comes to picking who gets to perform. Lou had zillions of different backing bands, from Metallica to his last music director — Kevin Hearn from Barenaked Ladies. Always ends up being an under-rehearsed cluster-fuck when they all get thrown together, and important people tend to get snubbed in favour of douchey industry darlings, I find.
    Last edited by botley; 10-12-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    NIN is in 2nd place again, almost dead even with SRV.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

This post was pretty edgy.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    If NIN gets inducted they'd perform there live right? That's the only reason why I'm hoping they will get in

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    If NIN gets inducted they'd perform there live right? That's the only reason why I'm hoping they will get in
    Usually the inductees perform.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    If NIN, SRV and Lou Reed get in, that's three artists with direct connections to Bowie.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    If NIN gets inducted, I would expect Trent NOT to show up....same as Bowie refused to attend