Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Flaming Lips

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Someone who is close to Wayne posted a ton of fucked up shit about whats going on with him in the comments of this article.

Could be total bullshit but it sounds pretty real

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jezstyle View Post
    Someone who is close to Wayne posted a ton of fucked up shit about whats going on with him in the comments of this article.

Repost link please.

Edit: Got on desktop from mobile--this is what you were trying to post http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...ng_lip_21.html

Whoa nelly.

///////

RE Kliph: he does indeed seem to be a solid dude. Wow.

http://m.pitchfork.com/news/55030-kl...riends-racism/ (as posted in last page, but why not again)

Doesn't surprise me about Wayne, but that's so lousy.
    Last edited by Amaro; 05-03-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jezstyle View Post

Jesus Christ. Fuck Wayne Coyne. I really used to look up to that dude. But if all that insider shit is legit, motherfucker needs some SERIOUS help.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I think working with Kesha and Smiley Virus has definitely made Wayne Coyne become a real asshole. If he wants to go mainstream and make pop records. Fine, but I won't bother listening to them.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I was crushed and hoping it wasn't true when it first came out. Too bad, I loved that band.

Like fuck, I wanted to give Wane and the band the benefit of the doubt. After all, Kliph was fired, he could be bitter towards them. But it all fits in with rumors of Wayne and how he has been acting the last few years. After reading lots about this, I have a 100% gut feeling Kliph is telling the truth. I was so excited to be able see them again this summer because I loved the first show of theirs I went to. Now I don't know if I can go or support them any longer.

Fallin did was tasteless and racist. I'm really disappointed that Wayne not only defended her, but also attended her band's show and mocked the protesters. It goes against the band's message of peace and love.
    Last edited by icecream; 05-03-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    How is wearing a headress racist? But I'm sure if he was pissing on a crucifix everybody would say he was cool though.....

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Caucasian girl wearing a ceremonial war bonnet- no, I don't see what's racist about that at all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Things like this are why I place myself firmly in the art-seperate-from-aritst camp. Wayne's always been starved for attention, for sure, but between this, the Ke$ha thing, and the Miley Cyrus collaboration, everything about him is screaming mid-life crisis. It's fucking gross. As a Native American brought up in public housing in a piss-poor reservation, this whole Fallin shitstorm has definitely sapped whatever respect I had left for him.

Whatever. I still like anything music-related the Flaming Lips continue to release and their live shows are still pretty amazing. That said, if I do ever come across any of their poser fans or hanger-ons wearing headdresses at said shows, I'll probably punch them in the fucking face.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    How is wearing a headress racist? But I'm sure if he was pissing on a crucifix everybody would say he was cool though.....
    No, no one would think he was cool for that. People, much like myself, seem to be tired as fuck of his lame ass publicity stunts. They're only viewed as "cool" by spoiled suburban teenagers who don't know any better. Ala his current fan base. They're also the only ones *genuinely* excited for the fucking Lip$ha album. The ones who show up at The Womb and let Wayne spray glitter and paint all over their tits and shit, because, it's, like, so cool. Fuck all that noise.

And yes, suburban rich White girl with politician parents donning Native American Headdress is genuinely racist as fuck. And then to mock the protestors? So fucking classless.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Caucasian girl wearing a ceremonial war bonnet- no, I don't see what's racist about that at all.
    From WIki: Racism is actions, practices or beliefs, or social or political systems that consider different races to be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other

So I'm guessing you mean tasteless, not racist. Unless you think she was explicitly trying to express the opinion that Native American's are inherently inferior warriors because hundreds of years later silly rich girls can dress up like their "warriors" and dance all over the sacred land that was once ruled by their ancestors. But I think that's assuming too much.

Inferring that someone cannot get away with something just because they are Caucasian, that's kinda racist (depending on the circumstance of course).

And yes, making fun of the donkeys that showed up to protest is totally fine, and in this case laudable.

And one last thing: the Flaming Lips are totally overrated. Their best song off their best album was stolen from someone else ( and they pay royalties on it to this day). So fuck Wayne. But calling him a racist, if the only evidence is the above story, is libelous. The drummer got fired and he's acting like an unprofessional ass. That's the story here.
    Last edited by HurtinMinorKey; 05-06-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    From WIki: Racism is actions, practices or beliefs, or social or political systems that consider different races to be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other

So I'm guessing you mean tasteless, not racist. Unless you think she was explicitly trying to express the opinion that Native American's are inherently inferior warriors because hundreds of years later silly rich girls can dress up like their "warriors" and dance all over the sacred land that was once ruled by their ancestors. But I think that's assuming too much.

Inferring that someone cannot get away with something just because they are Caucasian, that's kinda racist (depending on the circumstance of course).

And yes, making fun of the donkeys that showed up to protest is totally fine, and in this case laudable.

And one last thing: the Flaming Lips are totally overrated. Their best song off their best album was stolen from someone else ( and they pay royalties on it to this day). So fuck Wayne. But calling him a racist, if the only evidence is the above story, is libelous. The drummer got fired and he's acting like an unprofessional ass. That's the story here.
    Wayne?? Is that you?? Do you realize??

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Wayne?? Is that you?? Do you realize??
    So you don't have a genuine response, figures.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    But calling him a racist, if the only evidence is the above story, is libelous. The drummer got fired and he's acting like an unprofessional ass. That's the story here.
    Kliph explains in the story that a headdress is not worn lightly, that each part of it is earned for good deeds, etc. So for any ole person to wear it just for the hell of it, especially in the context explained in the story is racially insensitive. Willfully so. So it may not fit your air-tight wikipedia definition exactly, but it's still a disrespectful gesture that is race and culture based.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So you don't have a genuine response, figures.

Don't need one when you're so blatantly supporting racism. You're doing all my work for me!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Hundreds of years ago? More like within the last century forty years. Your failure to admit casual racism and gross misappropriation of indigenous culture only highlights just how little you know on the topic. But you know, keep defending a group that you find overrated just to stir the pot.

Saying that a white person cannot wear a ceremonial war bonnet isn't racist because it was never their culture to begin with. Sorry, it's just one of select few things white people can't get away with. Even if they understand and respect the symbolism behind it, just no.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Kliph explains in the story that a headdress is not worn lightly, that each part of it is earned for good deeds, etc. So for any ole person to wear it just for the hell of it, especially in the context explained in the story is racially insensitive. Willfully so. So it may not fit your air-tight wikipedia definition exactly, but it's still a disrespectful gesture that is race and culture based.
    >"a headdress is not worn lightly"

So i guess none of us can dress up as someone from another culture without a bunch of morons running around calling us racists.

But you are missing the point. Racism is a deliberate attempt to belittle a race. What we have here is someone being disrespectful(arguably) of a culture. It's like saying it's racist for a woman to dress up as a catholic priest.

Normally i hate semantic arguments, but since racism is such a charged term, you better damn well understand what it means before you fling it around.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Hundreds of years ago? More like within the last century forty years.
    Yes, Native American resistance was put to rest more than 100 years ago.

Your failure to admit casual racism and gross misappropriation of indigenous culture only highlights just how little you know on the topic.
    You still haven't explained why you think it's racist. Is it racist for Tom Cruise to dress up like a Samurai?

You clearly don't understand what racism is. And the fact that you belittle what is a very real problem (racism) by associating it with this crap pisses me off.

To turn things around, you could argue that the headdress itself is a symbol of sexism, since in most native cultures only a man can wear one. So fuck the headdress, and fuck the grandstanding assholes who are so quick to cry racism when it costs them nothing and does nothing to address the very real problem of racism.
    Last edited by HurtinMinorKey; 05-07-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Don't need one when you're so blatantly supporting racism. You're doing all my work for me!

And you have no idea what you are talking about.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

And you have no idea what you are talking about.
    Laugh Out Loud

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wrong. Try 50 years ago.

http://www.ndstudies.org/resources/IndianStudies/threeaffiliated/historical_1900s_garrison.html

My grandparents were victims of the practices noted in the article. Through the Fort Laramie Treaty, my tribe was legally obliged to 12 million acres of land that they very much took advantage of, living as economically sufficient as an agriculture-based population could. They were eventually undermined by the Corps of Engineers, flooding their land without consent and without any dialogue with the tribe. The Corps of Engineers were eventually backed by the federal government via the Homestead Act, reducing their original 12 million acres to half a million. Whatever prosperity previously held by the tribe was diminished.

The man weeping in this photo is George Gillette, the tribe's Chairman at the time. Here, we see him signing over the remaining land to be flooded for the construction of the Garrison Dam. This was largely for scant financial compensation, as they had already lost most of their homes and the remaining land would've been flooded regardless of their consent.

Is it racist for Tom Cruise to dress up like a Samurai?
    All the facepalms because A) you're talking about a fucking movie and B) the context of him dressing as a samurai is backed entirely by his character's story, where he's more or less made an honorary member by others who are native to samurai culture.

Here's a better question -- would it be racist for Tom Cruise to wear a blue bandana and throw up Crip gang signs?

To turn things around, you could argue that the headdress itself is a symbol of sexism, since in most native cultures only a man can wear one. So fuck the headdress, and fuck the grandstanding assholes who are so quick to cry racism when it costs them nothing and does nothing to address the very real problem of racism.
    There are [were] many tribes that give headdresses to its female members. To turn things around, I could argue that America, as a largely white-washed, patriarchal first-world nation, has given way to pseudo-intellectual trends amongst its younger population wherein they make baseless contrarian arguments an in attempt to ward off accusations of racism only to reveal how racist they really are. So fuck you.
    Last edited by Aladdinsanity; 05-07-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I actually watched the PBS special on that dam, it was pretty interesting. But i was referring to their military resistance. If you want, there are even more current examples of the Native Americans getting screwed over by the government: http://www.csnews.com/industry-news-...n-tobacco-shop

Sadly the historical list of fuckovers is long and ongoing.

But that isn't the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post

Here's a better question -- would it be racist for Tom Cruise to wear a blue bandana and throw up Crip gang signs?
    You still don't get it do you? Being a gang member has a negative association, and if by associating his "gang outfit" with a specific race, that could be viewed as racist. You've said yourself the headdress is an honor, so your analogy is flawed. Now if she was dressed as a Native American, carried a tomahawk, human scalps, and drank whiskey non-stop, that could be viewed racist and your analogy apt. But that isn't the case here. So stop being obtuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    There are [were] many tribes that give headdresses to its female members. To turn things around, I could argue that America, as a largely white-washed, patriarchal first-world nation, has given way to pseudo-intellectual trends amongst its younger population wherein they make baseless contrarian arguments an in attempt to ward off accusations of racism only to reveal how racist they really are. So fuck you.

Nice try. You can accuse me of racism all you want, but you haven't made any case for that whatsoever. Furthermore, if the Mods think that I have said or done one thing to condone racism here, then they should ban me for life. You on the other hand....
    Last edited by HurtinMinorKey; 05-07-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

You still haven't explained why you think it's racist. Is it racist for Tom Cruise to dress up like a Samurai?

You clearly don't understand what racism is. And the fact that you belittle what is a very real problem (racism) by associating it with this crap pisses me off.

My god, could you be be anymore patronizing? By your logic, Lady Gaga should be allowed to wear a burqa because OMG ISLAM OPPRESSES WOMEN! Nobody is saying that sexism doesn't exist in tribe culture so I don't know why you brought it up as a counterpoint. Last I checked, we're far from living in a utopian society so don't try to turn this on Native Americans, as if female leaders aren't trying to change tribe culture today. You have a very narrow definition of racism that doesn't take into affect the difference between institutionalized racism and cultural racism that is perpetuated by the media. A person's intent is hardly a benchmark for determining racist actions, otherwise all the fucking dumb teenagers who thought it was hilarious to don blackface and go as Trayvon Martin last Halloween would have fucking known better.

The Tom Cruise analogy I don't get because I've never seen the movie but I wouldn't use Hollywood as an example because boy, do they have a problem with white-washing and presenting white savior complexes in movies.

My cultural identity is not a photo prop or fashion trend.

Do you consider this racist?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    guys......

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Lady gaga wearing a burqa is fine, as long as she doesn't have a bomb strapped to it. Again for the same reason having a woman dress up as a catholic priest isn't racist. We'll set aside the fact that Islam isn't even a race

A wholesale ban on people dressing as those from other cultures, especially when done without malice, is fucking stupid. And if you can't see why blackface is different then I don't think we should continue this discussion any further.

I'm not trying to flame here. I just wanted to point out a subtle yet important distinction between being racist and being disrespectful.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I don't know, this is obviously a hot button issue for a lot of people, and I don't know the particulars of the case with what Wayne was doing or his stance on the issue, but this doesn't feel like it deserves this degree of outrage.

Is it racially ignorant for a person to don a headdress as a jokey accoutrement? Maybe. Is it insensitive? Probably... But is it straight up racist? I don't know if I agree there. When I identify someone as a racist, I usually think they're approaching a particular race from a perspective that assumes some form of superiority. I think it's hard to infer that's what's happening here. It's not equivalent to donning blackface.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    ScarJo is so hot and an awesome actress. Shame about her politics.

Oh and the Flaming Lips have always been douche canoes. "She Don't Use Jelly" made that abundantly clear in 1993.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Look! Wayne responds to Kliph's accusations: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...rlock-20140509

Or at least, he tries to. I've made my mind up. What about the rest of you, after reading this pudwhack's "explanation"?
    I made my mind up well before his "response". He's a fucking cunt now. I'll still always love the Warner Bro's years of The Lips, but I just can't with this motherfucker right now. He's an egotistical arrogant piece of shit who literally threw away all of his band's ideals for shock value and fame.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Kliph on his Facebook made some large post about his feelings towards people calling Wayne a racist, and a bunch of other stuff.

But really, at the least doing the Instagram pics uploaded of Wayne's dog, girlfriend, roadie and Sarah of Phantogram all wearing a headress is what makes him look like an idiot. Why delete them if he doesn't regret acting like that in the height of things? It was stupid. Admit it. Guy just wants to cause a ruckus, it's just surprising because I thought he could understand respect, decency...not push things out of those bounds so obviously.

blah blah blah

lemme read this rolling stone link now

edit: okay, apologies in writing. And Wayne calling Kliph not creative, that's not a jab at all. lol
    Last edited by Amaro; 05-10-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Smiley Virus
    i've seen this twice on ets now. not funny or clever. at all.

on topic, i found a huge foam core promo poster (for lack of a better term -- more like a sign, i guess) of the 'yoshimi' cover. i've never been a fan, but i loved the artwork on that album.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    i've seen this twice on ets now. not funny or clever. at all.

on topic, i found a huge foam core promo poster (for lack of a better term -- more like a sign, i guess) of the 'yoshimi' cover. i've never been a fan, but i loved the artwork on that album.
    I didn't come up with that name. Mark Kermode did. Besides, I'm sure none of us here saw her and the Flaming Lips destroyed the Beatles' "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".