Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Why do you feel you have to force yourself to like it? Nobody has been anything but courteous about people's differing opinions on this thread (except for one comment about brain abnormalities which was obviously jokey) but still people pretend they have to duck in and put up shields for being flamed - it's just not happening

Wasn't a duck or a dodge at all haha.
    It genuinely took a while to grow on me. Upon first listen I hated it. I still hate Keep It Together and dont understand the appeal of Ice Age. The rest of the EP is quite good upon listening to in the right state of mind.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Trent seems to be very interested in what people say on his facebook page.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^Listening to it now, and loving this EP - it's been very immediate for me, whereas NIN often takes me some time to digest (took me ages to get into the whole of the Tetsuo theme for example, but it really rewarded me in spades).

Can anyone tell me which of these songs are actually on the LP and which are extras please?

Oops - the above just came in while I posted - hmm, I'm certainly looking forward to listening on FLAC files that I ordered

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

I don't see it say "sigil 03" anywhere. Amazing, none-theless.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Can someone with the vinyl comment on whether The Sleep of Reason seamlessly segues into The Loop Closes? Or is there a gap of silence? That abrupt ending of the former is the only thing i can't get to grips with about the EP. Love everything else.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post

I don't see it say "sigil 03" anywhere. Amazing, none-theless.
    Not even on the spine? Hm.

Mine better come in tomorrow, unless you guys bought it from somewhere besides the official website.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    How is there a FLAC on what.CD already? Do people with vinyl have early access to it?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    How is there a FLAC on what.CD already? Do people with vinyl have early access to it?
    Good question. Do they have to label vinyl rips separately on what? As far as I knew, the 128 Soundcloud rips were the only ones floating around.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Good question. Do they have to label vinyl rips separately on what? As far as I knew, the 128 Soundcloud rips were the only ones floating around.
    Vinyl rips get labelled accordingly on what, when it's actually up.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Not even on the spine? Hm.

Mine better come in tomorrow, unless you guys bought it from somewhere besides the official website.
    yes, I got this from a local shop. My pre-order hasn't arrived yet. (yeah, I buy two of everything, no idea why)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    Vinyl rips get labelled accordingly on what, when it's actually up.
    It's up now, and the WEB version of An Omen is there. FLAC and MP3.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Okay, I just looked at the vinyl again, the color of text on the spine is SO close to the background, it IS listed as "Sigil 03V"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    Can someone with the vinyl comment on whether The Sleep of Reason seamlessly segues into The Loop Closes? Or is there a gap of silence? That abrupt ending of the former is the only thing i can't get to grips with about the EP. Love everything else.
    I was just about to ask the same thing - really bugs me

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    a nice record save for "beginning/end" babbling

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm enjoying this quite a lot. Personally, I find it the most interesting thing Trent has been involved with in a while.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSoldier333 View Post
    Wonder if that cough in Sleep Of Reason was a recorded accident they decided to keep?
    Considering how many vocals are layered into the song, I reckon it was intentional
    Quote Originally Posted by profane View Post
    Trent seems to be very interested in what people say on his facebook page.
    Sigil 4 is no doubt going to be influenced by what people liked on this - SO TRENT, MORE ICE AGE PLEASE.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It's unlikely, but I wouldn't mind hearing a Tweaker remix of one of these tracks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ice Age, omg. Now I have to find a spot for a 7-minute song on my Christmas gift playlists this year. Love Q's vocals and basically just everything about it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've not listened to the EP yet because I'm a chump, but I imagine the vast majority of people here have been rocking the Hype Machine stream? If that's the case, I'd guess that lack of gapless playback might be a drawback of that kind of thing, and the official download + vinyl will be seamless. Then again, judging by some of the vocals in Keep it together, the band doesn't seem opposed to harsh, abrupt edits.

My good friend who's more of a casual TR fan (well, casual compared to me) said the new Destroy Angels EP is some of his favorite stuff TR's been involved with since The Fragile. High praise! Especially interesting considering how indifferent this same friend was when the debut HTDA EP came out (which I did not remind him of).

Still trying hard to keep my expectations in check and not read too much from this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    Okay, I just looked at the vinyl again, the color of text on the spine is SO close to the background, it IS listed as "Sigil 03V"
    Sorry, I totally didn't mean to facepalm your post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They kinda did the same thing with "The Space In Between" so it wouldn't surprise me if it was intentional.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    4 star review in new rolling stone

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Such a fantastic EP! Who the hell is singing in "On The Wing"?! D:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    4 star review in new rolling stone
    That's nice to hear from a fanboy standpoint, but Rolling Stone stopped being relevant a long time ago. Nearly everything is 3.5 stars and they wrote this year that Animal Collective sound like the kind of band who "put their skinny jeans on one hoof at a time." Gag.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    It didn't disappoint me. It left me with a good overall impression. I didn't expect much from it, but it did surprise me a couple of times. It did remind me of some Coil stuff, and that's a good thing, since I love them (you can tell, right? Heh).

It didn't seem to rely on loops that much. One major problem I've had with Trent's post-With Teeth output is that the music relied a bit too much on loops. It worked great for Year Zero and Ghosts, but then it became too much of a good thing, too much attention on layering stuff and not too much progression on the arrangements. Dragon Tattoo is a perfect example of that. The Comes Forth in the Thaw website had all those preview loops, and I expected the final release to go further, but some of the tracks felt like the CFITT loops repeated for four minutes. It felt so static at times, as if Trent was noodling with Ableton Live clips and Atticus tried to make songs out of this. Which they do, sometimes.

Omen's tracks did have some amount of evolution; none of them sounded overly repetitive. But, again, I wanted some of the tracks to go somewhere else. Ice Age began beautifully, then it just stayed there. I agree with Morad that The Loop Closes (hey, a song with the world "loop" on its title) didn't need to have that "the beginning is the end" lyric and then repeat it. It was already a bad lyric. It was nice to hear Trent on his own again, though.

I liked its length. Not too short or long, just enough to sustain its impression. I didn't hate it. However, it does sound like just another teaser, just another promise for things to come. One can only hope that the LP will finally deliver all the goods they've been hinting at all this time.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    That's nice to hear from a fanboy standpoint, but Rolling Stone stopped being relevant a long time ago. Nearly everything is 3.5 stars and they wrote this year that Animal Collective sound like the kind of band who "put their skinny jeans on one hoof at a time." Gag.
    wasn't posting as a fanboy, more just general FYI.

what is relevancy in music reviews? People have been saying Rolling Stone has been irrelevant for as long as I've been alive... but maybe they are, I have no idea! its a pleasant enough read most of the time. I think its safe to say 3.5 stars is their "average."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sheepdean, sorry could be wrong but the second verse of On The Wing I keep hearing:

Single file
    An empty smile
    And all the while
    We wait

Or something along those lines. This song is fast becoming my favourite off the EP. I adore it's chilled out sort of tone. So different than anything I'd ever come to expect from those guys

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'll concur on all but the "empty smile". I really want to get some official lyrics down, for EP1 I twisted Q's arm into checking them for me, but this time round no one from the camp is responding to my requests, sigh.

Thanks though, I think the EP's lyrics are about 95% accurate by this point

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah I wasn't sure on that bit either. Hopefully they'll release the lyrics at some point. Listening to the songs along with the lyrics you posted I think you're pretty much spot on. Well done on Speaking in Tongues on particular. Dear god that ones a bitch to transcribe, doubt I would have been able to make out much without lyrics written infront of me. Suppose it lives up to its name in that respect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    wasn't posting as a fanboy, more just general FYI.

what is relevancy in music reviews? People have been saying Rolling Stone has been irrelevant for as long as I've been alive... but maybe they are, I have no idea! its a pleasant enough read most of the time. I think its safe to say 3.5 stars is their "average."
    Relevancy in music reviews involves actually discussing the music, why it's good, what it does differently or doesn't, instead of falling back on old clichés like "hipsters wear skinny jeans, and Animal Collective are often considered a hipster band, and they have the word 'animal' in their name, so I'm going to suggest that they put their hipster pants on one hoof at a time." That kind of dreck wouldn't fly in my community college English class. It's about being observant and finding out how to say what you mean without falling back on pretty-sounding words.