Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: "greatest hits"-tour in europe

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    They have played one show.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I wrote a pretty long post, and I'm pretty sure you couldn't be bothered to read it all otherwise you would have got more of a hint of what I'm talking about. I'm not suggesting that TR should do what I think is best, I'm suggesting he should be authentic to himself and what he is saying in interviews in regards to Hesitation Marks and the touring since he returned. How can you say every leg of the tour is different when the setlists stay basically the same?

Either he loves the new record and the head space he is in right now, and he should be excited to play more than 2-3 tracks from it, and that should help flesh out the set lists more in other areas

OR

or he should commit to being static as a tried and true formula and not claim to reinvent the wheel every time out, so we constantly get cock teased with thoughts of things that are probably never going to happen.

As an artist, you said you brought this band back for a reason, that you had something new to say. If only 7 of your songs on a 20+ song setlist have been recorded 2005 and onward, and if the songs you aren't playing aren't songs you havent played in a while, surely there is a level of disconnect there between what he's saying and doing. I simply suggest they should line up and I'd be ok with either, although Id obviously prefer the former.

I can sit back and enjoy a night of NIN live no matter what they play, but I know TR is a smart guy and I like to give him a pass for being a hypocrit more times than I would prefer to call him out on it, but this has kind of been going on for months now and unlike Sheepdean I refuse to keep pulling excuses out of my ass.

And Kitty; they havent played one show. This is a build up of the festival circuit last summer, japan, austrailia, new zealand, latin america etc.
    Last edited by AgentofChaos; 05-07-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    This thread is about Europe @AgentofChaos , they really have only played one show

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Ok then so let's make an issue with the technical title of the thread instead of bothering to actually discuss the real issue... anything to avoid reality, eh Sheep?

It's cool I'm sure the next few shows will be filled with tons of HM and everything will be drastically different in no time and it will all finally make sense.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    *sigh*

First the complaints were about the band never bringing production over to Europe (which they've done now). Now the complaints are about the setlist not being "right". I hate to say this, but some of you guys over there sound a little nitpicky. You guys got production as well as a couple songs that weren't played over here last year (and that was just the first show). I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

EDIT: Wait a minute. This dude is from Toronto? What the hell is he complaining about then?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    I wrote a pretty long post, and I'm pretty sure you couldn't be bothered to read it all otherwise you would have got more of a hint of what I'm talking about. I'm not suggesting that TR should do what I think is best, I'm suggesting he should be authentic to himself and what he is saying in interviews in regards to Hesitation Marks and the touring since he returned. How can you say every leg of the tour is different when the setlists stay basically the same?
    Okay, I read your post again. You're judging the extent to which the shows are the same or different based on your own perspectives about the value of different creative choices. You're saying the tour legs are the same because you're not finding the differences to be interesting or bold enough for you.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I'd actually love to hear those two tracks, not trolling or anything. Everything to replace 1,000,000.
    I dig Kinda, I Want To as well...as for Everything....

I just remember Trent saying before the tour, something along the lines of how these shows will be a way to dissect old songs and completely rearrange them and this will be a reinvention of NIN.........not really
    Last edited by billpulsipher; 05-07-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hasn't this issue been discussed to death already , Trent can not and will not satisfy everyone...Get over it.. Move along..

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I still love 1,000,000 live.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I reckon no one who complains about apparent lack of diversity in a setlist is a musician, and assumes every band member has the entire NIN catalogue memorised.
    3 of the 4 current touring members have over 300-400 NIN shows each, so they have a huge amount of experience with the majority of the NIN live catalog. And the 4th member just has to bang some sticks on things; how hard could that be?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    3 of the 4 current touring members have over 300-400 NIN shows each, so they have a huge amount of experience with the majority of the NIN live catalog. And the 4th member just has to bang some sticks on things; how hard could that be?
    Banging on sticks whenever he's not running over to the keyboards during MotP or picking up back up guitar or bass or whatever the hell else is needed. Give Ilan some credit.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Rice View Post
    Banging on sticks whenever he's not running over to the keyboards during MotP or picking up back up guitar or bass or whatever the hell else is needed. Give Ilan some credit.
    he was being sarcastic.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Yeah, generous helping of tongue in cheek there.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I reckon no one who complains about apparent lack of diversity in a setlist is a musician, and assumes every band member has the entire NIN catalogue memorised.
    If Trent can't perform a greater variety of songs because his band members can't be arsed to learn more material, then he should hire people who will.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    If Trent can't perform a greater variety of songs because his band members can't be arsed to learn more material, then he should hire people who will.
    Robin and Ally combined have played nearly every NIN song that has been played live. It's not that they can't be arsed, it's that they do not have infinite memory, and haven't rehearsed NIN's 200+ song catalogue. I guarantee even Trent couldn't play most instruments on some of those songs without checking things first.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Dang, as much money as this SG/NIN Amp Tour costs, will be disappointed if it's just greatest hits..and on top of that, there's crappy SG, and much, much worse, their greatest hits, lol. Sure, some hits...but just play AATCHB for the more hard core fans that have been following NIN for over two decades...and don't wanna just hear, 'I wanna #@(/# you like an animal'.
    Last edited by Omega; 05-08-2014 at 01:45 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I think this thread is an example of what Trent said in an interview that parts of his fanbase are unpleaseable

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I think this thread is an example of what Trent said in an interview that parts of his fanbase are unpleaseable
    Pretty much.

Amazing music, amazing live show visuals, people still complain a bunch.

I'd honestly watch NIN do the same shit, you know why? It's simple, it's because NIN is damn good. Yeah sure if they played (Insert Song Here) it would be fantastic, but I'm just fine regardless.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 05-08-2014 at 08:11 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    They have played one show.
    In a country that's never had a NIN show before. That might possibly have figured into the setlist.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    NIN also played in Germany, including Berlin, in 2009.2007 they had shows all over the country, compared to that one gig now it is rather depressing.But anyway, greatest hits?I'd count Closer, Wish, Thtf, Hlah and Hurt to that.Maybe in the States there are these mythical casual fans that only know a handful of songs like that and then attend a show.But from my experience I can say that if a German even knows what NIN is (Nein Insch wat?) they have heard all standard records (not including things like Fixed, sometimes Ghosts..) and therefor know most songs.So something off the Fragile isn't really a deep cut.Now about that Setlist again: I agree, needs more HM& TF.It seems a bit imbalanced, but TDS lovers get their satisfaction (I guess).And now let's be happy they play here again at all.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The one person who's commented elsewhere who actually went to the show said it blew him away, so I'm going with what he said

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Ugh, sigh, If suggesting TR isn't supporting his new material with factual setlist evidence, or living up to his word in terms of the live presentation being different from when he retired it (again, with factual evidence) is the definition of being unpleaseable then yeah sure I'm unpleaseable. Fine, you got me. And while yes there is definitely a part of the fanbase that will never be happy until they hear x song, for the record that's not me. Not even close.

Look, I get people saying this is good ole NIN and enjoying that. That's cool. I plan to do the same. But if living in some fuckin fantasy world where TR is not a total hypocrit for what's gone on since the return (again, minus oct/nov) is your bag, and you want to ignore the truth, that's fine, but don't shoot the messenger. What he said, what he advertised and has continued to repeat in interviews, and what has actually occurred have been drastically different, and there is no argument, no excuses, no different interpretation, it just is what it is. I'm doing my best to come to terms with that, but it's not easy. I'm not going to be miserable about it, and it won't effect my ability to enjoy the shows I do attend. But some people around here want to pretend that tomorrow will be different. It's been a year. He's not all of a sudden going to add in another 5-6 HM songs, throw some instrumentals in there, play some fragile songs he's never played or even ones he infrequently has, or alter the same setlist formula that has been in practice for years and years and years now. He said he was going to bring NIN live back fresh, but it's not fucking happening people, give it a rest. I would have said that before yesterday's set and I'll say it again before they come back to NA. Sure it's awesome to see The Becoming or Eraser back, I'm sure there will be a few more still to come, but to me that's not recreating the live experience and it's not promoting your recent work. That's all I'm trying to say. You don't have to be unhappy about that, but at least fucking acknowledge it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^but you got to SEE Tension and are moaning about something that isn't even coming to you. That's the very definition of unpleaseable. Anyway I have said elsewhere I'd love if they played more HM songs, while I'm still here etc, but I'm not so selfish I want him to actively lose money bringing all the players they had plus production to pull it off over to Europe. And in a recent interview he said they have 50 songs to choose from, over twice the Riga setlist so I'll wait and see what else turns up. They played Disappointed, All Time Low and others in the Southern hemisphere so I'm hopeful for those to appear

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarazenvonWolfenstein View Post
    Maybe in the States there are these mythical casual fans that only know a handful of songs like that and then attend a show.
    Hi. I'm one of those mythical casual fans.

Attending a NIN show is what made me become a fan. I mean, I had heard a few of the songs in passing, and went to the show with my boyfriend(also a casual fan). But I probably couldn't have named you any of their songs at that point. Witnessing the show(even though I was spun out of my mind) is what made me a fan.

There are casual fans who attend shows. Some people just enjoy music. I will go to almost anything if the price is right. Sometimes, witnessing something in person is enough to transform a lot of thoughts.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I think a lot of HM material would sound weird after having played it with a 8 piece band. AdD to that NIN hasn't gone to Latvia and NIN fans in Europe have wanted a full scale production for a while, I think this tour is to satisfy lots of of people who had all different expectations from NIN!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I think a lot of HM material would sound weird after having played it with a 8 piece band. AdD to that NIN hasn't gone to Latvia and NIN fans in Europe have wanted a full scale production for a while, I think this tour is to satisfy lots of of people who had all different expectations from NIN!
    I thought All Time Low sounded great in the Southern Hemisphere footage I saw - its funny that I thought HM was supposed to be minimal etc according to Trent yet those are the songs that need an 8 piece band. Anyway I'm hoping for more of it in the uk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I thought All Time Low sounded great in the Southern Hemisphere footage I saw - its funny that I thought HM was supposed to be minimal etc according to Trent yet those are the songs that need an 8 piece band. Anyway I'm hoping for more of it in the uk
    Would be nice, but I don't see more than 4 songs being played from it in any one night in Europe, going on the first two setlists. Shame, but I'm just grateful to be able to see them again.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    NIN fans in Europe have wanted a full scale production for a while
    I think people have forgotten that Europe has had tours with production before (summer 2007, the festival run last year), it's just that people keep thinking we have to have WITT and Zero-Sum and Perfect Drug over here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Hi. I'm one of those mythical casual fans. I will go to almost anything if the price is right. .
    Hi there!I do that as well, but the price is right means to me gigs in bars for not more than 10-20 Euro.I would not pay 50 for NIN if I only knew a couple of songs.But it's nice that worked out for you.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    He also once said something along the lines of "preaching to the choir"...