Page 87 of 108 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 3227

Thread: A Perfect Circle

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Please, let's lump everyone in the same category that thinks the new A Perfect Circle album is lackluster. We're close-minded, entitled, and want a rehash of an old album.
    No no. Not liking the album is fine. For many reasons. And not "everyone".

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    The 13th Step hate isn't new. I distinctly remember the album getting widely shat on upon release because it wasn't MDN 2.
    Really? I'm not saying I don't believe you. I'm just very surprised by that. 13th Step was one of those albums that I fell absolutely in love with from the very first listen, and yes, I was already a fan of MDN before that. Eh.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Really? I'm not saying I don't believe you. I'm just very surprised by that. 13th Step was one of those albums that I fell absolutely in love with from the very first listen, and yes, I was already a fan of MDN before that. Eh.
    Yes. I recall statements hereabouts and elsewhere along the lines of "why is there a shitty stupid cover in the middle of this", "the whole middle section sucks and puts me to sleep", "this doesn't have the teeth that MDN did, it doesn't feel vital". And of course "Fuck this where's the new Tool record".

It wasn't an album anybody was expecting. Most folks came around on it, sure, and I don't think it was ever universally loathed, but it did absolutely not have the balls-out the gate positive reception MDN did on release. I think everyone considered The Package a banger out of the gate though.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I wasn’t wired into the internet at the time, so that probably helped.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I always go back to thinking about Trent's quote about how he used to play an album over and over until he "got it" because he spent money on it, invested in it, and didn't have too many other albums. Today we have access to any song imaginable at any time via the device in our pockets and music is immediately – and often harshly – judged and if it doesn't click with people IMMEDIATELY after one spin, not only do they disregarded it prematurely, they go onto social media and loudly voice their opinion about how much it sucks. Granted, I've probably done this at some point, but I try to make an effort to let every new release from all of the bands I follow sink in for a few weeks before deciding that something sucks. Sometimes I'm disappointed at first and that feeling fades.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimie View Post
    Sidenote - Did the rest of the Kimmel performances ever go up anywhere?
    Talk Talk and So Long... are both on YouTube but I personally haven't seen any others. If someone has, feel free to link us lol.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I think everyone considered The Package a banger out of the gate though.
    Ironically, I remember people hating on The Package because of Maynard’s dry-mixed vocals and how he says “lie.”

The APC.net board was absolutely awesome and chill but also really negative about TTS when it came out and as eMOTIVe was winding up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I wouldn’t mind catching this cover live again...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Talk Talk and So Long... are both on YouTube but I personally haven't seen any others. If someone has, feel free to link us lol.
    Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums:

Disillusioned:

Eat The Elephant:

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I love that during a song about "putting your phone down and connecting with your surroundings" everyone has their cell phones out filming it, hahaha.
    Oh people.

Guess they couldn't enforce the no recordings rule at this Jimmy Kimmel thing?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I was 11 years old when Thirteenth Step dropped so I only factor in my experience since becoming an APC fan ~10 years ago, but I always felt like I was a fringe APC fan for thinking Thirteenth Step was far and away their masterpiece and one of my favorite albums of all time. It's always been my understanding that Mer De Noms was the fan favorite by a long shot. It's nice to see that others fucking love Thirteenth Step. Except that goddamn certified maniac Krazy who has an opinion about "The Package" that isn't "holy fucking shit what a goddamn perfect piece of music." Madness.

I was just talking a couple days ago about how out of the ~8 times I've seen Maynard live, his strongest performance was the APC show I saw in Reno last year, and in particular about what a complete wreck I was when they opened with this killer performance of "The Package." It's tough to top that feeling I get at a Tool show and the lights go down and Tim Leary starts his speech or seeing Ween back to back in San Francisco opening with Did You See Me? on night 1 and an acoustic Birthday Boy on night 2 or having the live debut of Branches/Bones open in Bakersfield, buuuut... this is quite possibly my number one concert opening song experience ever. Sure blows "Annihilation" right the fuck out of the water lol.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The front cover looks like a Puscifer LP , ive listened to it once i cant figure it out, i never really got into Thirteenth Step either.
    Seemed very different to Mer De Noms. Still listen to that quite a bit.
    Mer De Noms was such a strong album, a sort of gloomy Dreampop/ethereal/metal? Dreammetal?? Was not really metal, more just hard rock.
    Hard rock band with that classic Alan Moulder/Flood slightly shoegaze sound and odd slick production.
    It was like if the Cocteau Twins or This Mortal Coil went hard rock . It was amazing . Definetly my favourite thing Maynard has ever done.
    Magdalena is still such a breathtaking track.
    Last edited by Exocet; 04-27-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Thirteenth Step is far and away my favorite album of all time. It resonates with me personally and has stayed with me since I was 16.

I always hoped that APC would never try to capture that same feeling because, to me, it’s inimitably honest and based on an experience that’s not something you’d want to go through again.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I love that during a song about "putting your phone down and connecting with your surroundings" everyone has their cell phones out filming it, hahaha.
    Oh people.

Guess they couldn't enforce the no recordings rule at this Jimmy Kimmel thing?
    They only asked that people not record during the first two songs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This album is very much a grower for me. The magic is slow-release but potent, though I don't think the cover art will ever do it for me.
    Last edited by denuir; 04-27-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by denuir View Post
    This album is very much a grower for me. The magic is slow-release but potent, though I don't think the cover art will ever do it for me.
    My guess would be that it’s deliberately over the top dramatic. Kind of how Maynard hides a lot of seriousness behind humor.

Listening to commentary on The Outsider video it sounds like all the pitches were getting darker and darker until they just said fuck it and did something spontaneous.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post
    They only asked that people not record during the first two songs.

That's an odd request. What was so special about the first 2 songs?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^^
    They're probably shown on TV. The rest are just streamed on teh webz.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    That's an odd request. What was so special about the first 2 songs?
    Those are the ones they actually broadcast and put on YouTube.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yes. I recall statements hereabouts and elsewhere along the lines of "why is there a shitty stupid cover in the middle of this", "the whole middle section sucks and puts me to sleep", "this doesn't have the teeth that MDN did, it doesn't feel vital". And of course "Fuck this where's the new Tool record".

It wasn't an album anybody was expecting. Most folks came around on it, sure, and I don't think it was ever universally loathed, but it did absolutely not have the balls-out the gate positive reception MDN did on release. I think everyone considered The Package a banger out of the gate though.
    Sentiment on aperfectcircle.net was very, very divided strongly in either direction. Positive or negative, if I recall.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by think i'm a fire engine View Post
    Sentiment on aperfectcircle.net was very, very divided strongly in either direction. Positive or negative, if I recall.
    That’s how I recall it as well.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post
    Those are the ones they actually broadcast and put on YouTube.
    Indeed. After the first two songs, they stop recording altogether. It's almost like the mini-concerts are separated into two mini-mini-concerts - two songs for TV/YouTube and then three songs for the audience who made the trip. It was the same for NIN and the last time APC was on Kimmel.
    Last edited by Toadflax; 04-30-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Thirteenth Step is far and away my favorite album of all time. It resonates with me personally and has stayed with me since I was 16.

I always hoped that APC would never try to capture that same feeling because, to me, it’s inimitably honest and based on an experience that’s not something you’d want to go through again.

agreed, i could've missed some thing along the way but maynard never actually struggled with addiction, right? if so, he wrote this from a purely "outsiders" perspective which makes it in some ways even more interesting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Indeed. After the first two songs, they stop recording altogether. It's almost like the mini-concerts are separated into two mini-miniconcerts - two songs for TV/YouTube and then three songs for the audience who made the trip. It was the same for NIN and the last time APC was on Kimmel.
    Yep, I have a couple pictures from the NIN one but no video. Probably because I had a crap phone.

https://instagram.com/p/gcJHdHEH28/

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    agreed, i could've missed some thing along the way but maynard never actually struggled with addiction, right? if so, he wrote this from a purely "outsiders" perspective which makes it in some ways even more interesting.
    Reading between some of the lines, I’d say it’s probably related to a rough patch after separating from his fiancée. According to his book, she cheated on him. He described Blue about him blinding himself to the reality about one of the women he dated on the aMOTION commentary.

Having said that, he’s explicitly said in an acoustic performance The Outsider was an outsider’s perspective on someone going through addiction and/or depression and having a “walk it off” attitude. He said in the same set that Weak And Powerless isn’t necessarily about drugs but could be emotional dependence.

I’m guessing it was probably based on his experience largely after that breakup. But again that’s all speculation.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Why did this release this after? I’m not double dipping but if it were the first thing released on release day I would’ve bit. Their loss.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Why did this release this after? I’m not double dipping but if it were the first thing released on release day I would’ve bit. Their loss.
    In fairness it was put on the website the day the album was officially announced, it just got delayed a week because of a printing error.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    In fairness it was put on the website the day the album was officially announced, it just got delayed a week because of a printing error.
    Yup, mine just came yesterday but I haven't unboxed it yet. The red/blue version is the one they just recently put up for sale, which is really baffling.