Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Stones

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    First single is Little Walter's "Just Your Fool". Spectacular feel... I think it sounds great!

Go check it on your fav. streaming thing already!
    Last edited by botley; 10-06-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/t...es-ole-ole-ole

Documentary on the Latin America tour and following Cuba gig is now available for free on Channel 4 (for those who can actually watch it).

Not only can I not watch that, but I also can't make it to the one-night screening they're doing here. Blargh. I really want to see this.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's awesome! Saw it at TIFF. Hopefully gets a wider release next year.

Oh, yeah, how about that fucking awesome new album?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's awesome! Saw it at TIFF. Hopefully gets a wider release next year.

Oh, yeah, how about that fucking awesome new album?
    Haven't listened to the new disc yet. I think I saw a headline somewhere though that said it was recorded in three days - and if true, thank fucking christ. Right off the bat that makes it sound like they did it right.

I have to imagine Ole Ole Ole will eventually get released - if it's on TV and streaming online in some countries and receiving a national (albeit single night) release in the states, there's gotta be a release coming eventually. Otherwise, I'm gonna be really disappointed to have missed my shot on this one.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Haven't listened to the new disc yet. I think I saw a headline somewhere though that said it was recorded in three days - and if true, thank fucking christ. Right off the bat that makes it sound like they did it right.
    Well, the basic tracks and Mick's lead vocals were apparently all done in that time, I think they overdubbed more stuff later (including Chuck Leavell, who plays upright boogie-woogie piano like a dead ringer for Stu on this album).

Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I have to imagine Ole Ole Ole will eventually get released - if it's on TV and streaming online in some countries and receiving a national (albeit single night) release in the states, there's gotta be a release coming eventually. Otherwise, I'm gonna be really disappointed to have missed my shot on this one.
    Yeah, apparently they threw it in one of those super-duper-deluxe Japan-only box sets for Havana Moon, so there is a physical version out there. Definitely the highlight is watching Mick and Keith sing "Country Honk" together backstage.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Fuck yes!

The aforementioned 2016 version of "Country Honk" from Ole! Ole! Ole!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Ole! Ole! Ole! is on Starz. Watched it tonight, was very impressed with it as a look at what a lot of those places mean to the band.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The 'No Filter' 2017 tour is in full swing, and ABKCO's newly remastered/deluxe Their Satanic Majesties Request is out today. Also looking forward to getting a beautiful new book about their rise to fame called On Air in the Sixties and especially From the Vault: Sticky Fingers Live at the Henry Fonda Theatre Blu-ray/CD coming out in a week or so. Good time to be a fan!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    'No Filter' tour resumed this week in Dublin & London, and we're talking about it on my podcast. Also excited for The Studio Albums 1971-2016 vinyl box set and the From the Vault: No Security Live in San Jose '99 DVD coming later this summer.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Going to see them in Cardiff on the 15th June, it was advertised to me on social media and I sort of drunk bought them! But I'm really looking forward to it now, we have the 40 licks compilation but I've not really dived into their discography. Anyone got a ranking of favourite Stones albums please?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm a weirdo, but mine goes like this:

1) Some Girls
    2) Exile on Main St.
    3) Tattoo You
    4) Let it Bleed
    5) Bridges to Babylon
    6) Beggars Banquet
    7) Sticky Fingers
    8) Voodoo Lounge
    9) Blue and Lonesome
    10) Emotional Rescue

It's surely a good thing that 8 of my top 10 are in the boxset coming out next month! I'm sure lots more people like the 60s stuff best but I'm a sucker for the best moments of their later records.
    Last edited by botley; 05-24-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    1) Let it Bleed
    2) Beggars Banquet
    3) Exile on Main St.
    4) Aftermath (UK Version)
    5) Sticky Fingers
    6) Their Satanic Majesties Request
    7) Some Girls
    8) Voodoo Lounge
    9) Goats Head Soup
    10) The Rolling Stones (UK)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    6) Their Satanic Majesties Request
    7) Some Girls
    BOLD choice, sir, very bold of you indeed. We're debating whether to cover Satanic next on my podcast, or something else... you can vote on our Facebook post (why not stop and 'like' the page while you're at it? We're hard up for 'likes') by your choice of reaction.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    BOLD choice, sir, very bold of you indeed. We're debating whether to cover Satanic next on my podcast, or something else... you can vote on our Facebook post (why not stop and 'like' the page while you're at it? We're hard up for 'likes') by your choice of reaction.
    Cool, i didn't knew you had a podcast!
    I voted for "Voodoo Lounge" actually, i always have considered it an underrated album, going to listen you past shows.

I just have a weakness for "Satanic Majesties", i now most critics consider it a "failed" album but to me it has some amazing songs ("2000 man", The Lantern", "She's a Rainbow", "2000 Light years..."), probably "Some Girls" is objectively better as an album, but "Satanic..." is no lightweight either...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    For many years, I only liked a couple songs from Exile. Now, I see it as their deepest and greatest work.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Happy to see some bumping here... I keep wanting to try to get into The Rolling Stones proper. I tend to hear a lot of people knocking them. Seeing as how that often goes with me, it makes me want to give them the time even more. I’ve only really liked all the hits I’ve ever heard. What are some good starting albums?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    Happy to see some bumping here... I keep wanting to try to get into The Rolling Stones proper. I tend to hear a lot of people knocking them. Seeing as how that often goes with me, it makes me want to give them the time even more. I’ve only really liked all the hits I’ve ever heard. What are some good starting albums?
    Either @botley 's top two or my top 2 albums are great starting points, but i also recommend "Sticky Fingers" (and decide if you go "Backwards" or "Upwards")

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    my starting point for full albums (aside from the hits) was 12x5. i realize this is an album of covers, but it really gives a sense of where they started and what they eventually became.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    If we're talking compilations and their beginnings, i think "Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)" is great to introduce you in the early years, the you can pick up "Through the Past, Darkly" to check out the begging of their most creative era...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I think the GRRR! compilation (50-track version) is also a good point of entry, as it spans their whole career with all the major 'hits'; it should give you an idea of what to expect from each album... but when you're ready to go deeper into the 60s stuff, picking up the remastered Singles Collection: The London Years for all the original mixes is the best way to go. The 60s albums themselves don't really do it for me, apart from the two on my top-ten list.

Once you've done that, it's time to get into the 70s and 80s and 90s via the Virgin Records remastered CDs, which sound great (the Universal ones on streaming services are wayyyy too loudness-compressed). Or you could be like me and drop a few hundred dollars on this year's vinyl box set, which seems like it's going to be pretty fantastic.
    Last edited by botley; 05-29-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

We got this PPV special back in the day, but weren't able to tape it for some reason. Definitely getting this for my dad's birthday now, as it's in November.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Bring it on! I also really love the San Jose '99 show. Full review of it here on my podcast (we're also dropping another episode this week, so mash that mf subscribe on your podcast machine).

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    north american tour in the spring. 14-16 shows. seattle has made the cut. i've seen them over 20 times since the some girls tour in 1978. i was 17 & conned my parents into letting me drive to denver from seattle for the show. it was magic. i know they are past their prime but they are still legends. i'm thinking there aren't going to be many (if any) more chances to see them perform. whether they are "on" or not, they are always entertaining. woo hoo!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The Voodoo Lounge Uncut video/live album from Miami '94 (and five bonus songs from Jersey) is out now everywhere!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I can't imagine sitting hundreds of feet in the air & away from these fossils in the upper deck of a football stadium in 2018, but I imagine i'm in the minority as a massive two month stadium tour has been announced for the spring. Ticket prices will bring the lulz I'm sure.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I can't imagine sitting hundreds of feet in the air & away from these fossils in the upper deck of a football stadium in 2018, but I imagine i'm in the minority as a massive two month stadium tour has been announced for the spring. Ticket prices will bring the lulz I'm sure.
    I'm with you, i'd really like to go see them but stadiums??? i get that they are money printing machines at this point but i can't really see myself enjoying any of this, unless they are on fire that night (long shot) and/or i have close seat/spot (which probably means $$$$$$) so.... probably a pass for me, or at least until closer to show date if tickets become more affordable.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm a freak for them, but personally I think seeing the Stones' stage show in a gigantic packed football stadium would be frigging amazing. I have only seen them in festival or indoor arena environments, and I'd love to go. Might be able to swing Chicago...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I will say, I'm not the biggest Stones fan- I like some of their songs. Saw them at a baseball stadium in California in 2015 and it was actually one of the best rock concerts I've been to. Price wasn't bad either, I think it was around $100 for mid level, center stage seats.