Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Isis

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Ipecac newsletter today had this tease:

"MARK YOUR CALENDAR FOR JULY 26TH AT 1PM ESTWe'll be launching the pre-order for two special releases on our US and UK webstores!
    You'd travel the ocean with grinning mouths for these, trust us."

And Isis posted this on Facebook.

Panopticon and Oceanic represses coming next week.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    My mouth would be grinning extra wide for a new album and band reunion.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    My mouth would be grinning extra wide for a new album and band reunion.
    Sadly there's almost zero chance of that happening. The reunion for the Caleb tribute show in LA is likely the last time those guys are gonna play together. Most of them have said as much in interviews since then.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Sadly there's almost zero chance of that happening. The reunion for the Caleb tribute show in LA is likely the last time those guys are gonna play together. Most of them have said as much in interviews since then.
    Bad blood?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Bad blood?
    No, but the band just stopped being fun for everyone. Most of them didn't really like the last two albums they put out. Touring as Isis was no longer fun for them. That final show felt like the coda for them. They enjoyed it, and they felt it brought Isis to a close in a positive way.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I think Aaron Turner is the main reason they will never reunite. He has stated he didn't like the last album at all (he's delusional)....Based on what he does with his new band Sumac, he is content to just growl like a grizzly bear on every song now.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I think Aaron Turner is the main reason they will never reunite. He has stated he didn't like the last album at all (he's delusional)....Based on what he does with his new band Sumac, he is content to just growl like a grizzly bear on every song now.
    Don't make assumptions. Most of them feel that way. Many of them have talked about it. Most recently I heard Jeff Caxide talk about it on a podcast. They just weren't happy with the last two albums (In the Absence of Truth more so) and didn't enjoy touring together anymore. It wasn't just Turner.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Man, I adore those last two albums. They’re transcendental.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Man, I adore those last two albums. They’re transcendental.
    Totally agree. I'm sad they led to the end of the band but I'm glad they exist.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Wavering Radiant for me is their best! Second place for me is Panopticon and Third Oceanic. Bonkers to hear they didn’t like WR.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    WR was the only album of theirs that was produced by "Evil" Joe Barresi. Could it be that Aaron didn't like his production?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Sumac is pretty challenging music. It's basically free form death metal. Very obviously Turner wanted to push boundaries and do it in a different way and different direction. I think in listening to wavering radiant I can see why he thinks they were spinning their tires

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Sumac is pretty challenging music. It's basically free form death metal. Very obviously Turner wanted to push boundaries and do it in a different way and different direction. I think in listening to wavering radiant I can see why he thinks they were spinning their tires
    I tried listening to SUMAC and other bands he is/was part off many times, but I just cannot get into it.

The last two albums are definately not as good as the ones before but they still have some amazing songs in them...Holy Tears, Not in rivers but in drops, Threshhold of a Transformation just to name a few.

In the last years the main substitute for ISIS for me is Cult of Luna, these guys are amazing and continue to deliver some smashing albums and dont even get me started on the live shows...

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Way Through Woven Branches and The Pliable Foe are masterpieces IMO. And that video for 20 Minutes/40 Years… my god.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Pliable Foe is a top 5 for me. Can't believe they shoved it onto a split instead of putting it on the record.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Pliable Foe is a top 5 for me. Can't believe they shoved it onto a split instead of putting it on the record.
    And the video for THAT, too! So amazing. And they ended their career with a song like that? Imagine what the next album could’ve sounded like.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I remember Buzz from The Melvins saying he thought their last album was their best one and he was excited to hear what they were going to do next and was shocked that they quit. I dug the last album but I thought Panopticon was their absolute pinnacle. It merged the sound between the Oceanic era and the ITAOT era perfectly

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I remember Buzz from The Melvins saying he thought their last album was their best one and he was excited to hear what they were going to do next and was shocked that they quit. I dug the last album but I thought Panopticon was their absolute pinnacle. It merged the sound between the Oceanic era and the ITAOT era perfectly
    “Altered Course” cannot be explained in words.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    “Altered Course” cannot be explained in words.
    that song is phenomenal…to me the song is the ultimate embodiment of running away from an unseen force, but there’s no point in running, that unseen force is all-seeing, all-powerful. Hard to explain.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    that song is phenomenal…to me the song is the ultimate embodiment of running away from an unseen force, but there’s no point in running, that unseen force is all-seeing, all-powerful. Hard to explain.
    I agree with you. The way the song reaches its climax in the earlier portion feels like the initial “running,” and then the rest of the song is just succumbing to / accepting the inevitable, whatever it may be. For some reason it feels peaceful.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I really miss seeing them live. They didn't have any flashy visuals or anything, but man were they powerful.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    There are vinyls up for preorder at the Isis Merchtable website: https://isis.merchtable.com/

It seems like Ipecac will have different variants. I got the Panopticon vinyl!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    There are vinyls up for preorder at the Isis Merchtable website: https://isis.merchtable.com/

It seems like Ipecac will have different variants. I got the Panopticon vinyl!
    Thanks for the heads up! I got both.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    And these are the Ipecac variants: https://ipecac-music.myshopify.com/

They made 3000 of each.

Oceanic
    Band Store (300) - Gold with Red Splatter
    Ipecac Store US & UK (1000) - Clear with Gold Splatter
    Indie Record Stores (1700) - Clear with Black and Gold Splatter

Panopticon
    Band Store (300) - Opaque Red
    Ipecac Store US & UK (1000) - Clear with Red Swirl
    Indie Record Stores (1700) - Black
    Last edited by cahernandez; 07-26-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I love how "So Did We" just begins with a "BAM, WE'RE ISIS". No ambient intros, no nothing. Just a post-metal blast in your face.

Also, anyone aware of this rarity? The fact that they "borrowed" the artwork from Godflesh is hilarious to me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I do not need more Isis represses I do not need more Isis represses I do not need more Isis represses I do not need more Isis represses ah shit I bought more Isis represses. Missed the band exclusives though, sadly.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I love how "So Did We" just begins with a "BAM, WE'RE ISIS". No ambient intros, no nothing. Just a post-metal blast in your face.

Also, anyone aware of this rarity? The fact that they "borrowed" the artwork from Godflesh is hilarious to me.
    Yeah, no fucking around. OUR SKIN WORN THIN / OUR BONES EXPOSED / LIFE RE-DUCED TO TICKS!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm listening to the reissue of Panopticon on my headphones and it's just beautiful. I'm headbanging to So Did We here in my bedroom.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Finally ordered custom frames and mats for my prints from the 2007 tours. Really happy with how they came out.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Also framed my print of Aaron Turner's art from the cover of Wavering Radiant.