Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Anybody going to the 'classic albums' shows imminent this month? I'm hitting all three nights at the Opera House here in Toronto.

I also caught the documentary "Android in La-La Land" here at the Lightbox, highly recommended!
    Last edited by botley; 05-09-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Anybody going to the 'classic albums' shows imminent this month?
    I'll be catching Gary on the UK tour in September. I'm not a huge fan generally, but I've seen him a couple of times before and I just love the shows. Last time though was back in 2008 on the Replicas tour, and I think he stopped playing locally (south coast) after that. Really looking forward to it anyway. All the hits, plus it'll probably be a family night out. I love that my folks like good music.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Gary Numan Official

10 hrs ·

Please forgive the proud Dad in me but this is a clip of Persia and Echo singing the 'If I Said' piano demo. I'd just finished the lyric and they had just that minute come home from school. They didn't really know the tune at all so it's a little wayward in places. They are both dyslexic, so them reading it at all was enough to make me watery eyed, but having your own children sing one of your new songs is about as special as it gets.

(the video is on the FB page)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Gary Numan to receive 2016 Moog Innovation Award

http://regenmag.com/news/gary-numan-...ovation-award/

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Looks like Numan's set from Moogfest will be streaming live in a little over an hour at 10:30 EST

https://live.moogfest.com/facilities/141

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Holy shit, I'm seeing Replicas/TPP/Telekon starting tonight! So unbelievably ready.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Gary's mother died today.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    A rather long Pledge update, basically apologizing for the delay (this album definitely won't be released in October, looking more like it'll be out next summer), but as Gary was understandably quite shaken by the loss of his mum, all musical progress on the new album stopped.

The good news is, work will pick up in October with Ade Fenton once again joining Gary to produce the new album.

I really enjoyed the classic album residency and picked up CDs of all three albums performed at the London residency last year, absolutely great stuff. It was a brilliant way to spend three nights surrounded by Numan fans, who are some of the nicest and most intelligent music fans I know.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    AccessPass Update 04 September, 2016 Sep 3, 2016. Bed Of Thorns Progress

Today the demo of the song Bed Of Thorns was sent to Ade Fenton in the UK for him to start production work on. I’ve added an mp3 of the final demo version, in full, to this update so that you will be able to follow it’s production progress. It’s not unusual for me and Ade to go back and forth on a track many times, sometimes it gets a little heated, as we try to find the best way forward. Each track is a new adventure so we’ll see how it goes with this one, the first of the new album. I also hope to have the If I Said song over to him before I leave for the UK next Friday. With luck Ade will be able to work on those two while I’m away touring and, if so, I should have some cool things to play to you when I get back.
    The working title for the new album is ‘Savage’ by the way. I have no idea if that will stick but I got fed up calling it New Album and/or Album 21.
    I have a number of new ideas underway but, as you know, it’s been a strange summer. Between the beginning of May and October 5th, a little over five months, I will have been here in Los Angeles a total of just 23 days. I will have played two tours, visited the UK for my Mum’s passing, had a weird holiday, visited the UK to see my Dad (post my Mum passing) and, in those 23 days, mostly just tried to catch up with things that got away from me by being away so much. From Oct 5th though I have nothing to do but finish the album, so looking forward to that.
    I do have news on the label I’m likely to go with but I need to talk about that at another time.
    As always, thanks for your patience.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Man, thinking back to A Prayer For The Unborn and One Perfect Lie (the first about Gary losing an unborn child and the latter about his dog dying), how emotional will Savage be? He lost his mother this year to cancer and just posted that his big dog Wilbur passed away.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That's some sad news.
    It will definitely have some impact on his new album.

I went to his gig in Melbourne in 2014 when I was back on holiday and it was epic. Such a great show. Would love to see him again.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    One of those collaborators is the great Gary Numan. The new wave and electronic pioneer guests on “Dark Rain”, a pulsing, clawing declaration of loneliness. “I’m drifting/ Like clouds that have no home,” Numan sings in his uniquely dripping voice. “I’m sinking/ Like everyone who’s alone.” Take a listen to the track below.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/1...k-rain-listen/

Interestingly, "Dark Rain" is also the title of one of the instrumental tracks from "The Radial Pair" soundtrack:

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    AccessPass Update 29 October, 2016 Friday. October 28th, 2016

I am now back in the studio and working on new stuff. I have a new song underway with the working title ‘I Heard A Voice’. Tomorrow, hopefully, I will record a video update that shows the brief 30 second melody idea for this song that was then developed into something a little more complete, although still very much an early demo. Mostly though, tomorrow I will be working on the lyrics so that, by the end of Sunday, I will have a vocal version done of the demo, which I can then send to Ade.
    As I said before (I think) the working title of the album is ‘Savage’, quite possibly that will be the actual title as I quite like it.
    I have new software and patches coming which I hope will be inspiring. The first of those will be here on Monday. I also have my new MiniMoog D to play with, thanks to Moog.
    I hope that the horrible things that have contributed to this year being the worst ever are now over. But, song writing has always been a therapeutic need for me so, given some time free of distractions, I should be able to use much of what was horrible and turn it into something more positive, albeit dark. Even if that happens though, I’ll still breathe a sigh of relief when this year is over. I have a feeling that much of the world feels the same.
    Finally, but most importantly, happy birthday to my Dad, who is 80 years old today. A most remarkable man.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Interesting how the latest demo has the same title as one from the Jagged sessions in 2006, "Mercy" -

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/...ce=pledgemusic

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    For UK fans, Android in LA LA Land is currently on BBC4 on demand. That's come out of the blue a bit! Just started downloading it...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    For UK fans, Android in LA LA Land is currently on BBC4 on demand. That's come out of the blue a bit! Just started downloading it...
    So for non-UK fans...the "fuck you" continues?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Watched the film now - brief glimpses of Robin Finck and the Sheridan footage from the NIN London O2 gig in 2009. Film was very interesting, didn't realise that Gemma was such a rock - particularly the clip when Ade Fenton flies over from the UK to finish the Splinter sessions....don't want to give too much away though...very watchable anyway.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    So for non-UK fans...the "fuck you" continues?
    What the hell does that even mean? Numan had nothing to do with the production or distribution of this film, FYI

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    What the hell does that even mean? Numan had nothing to do with the production or distribution of this film, FYI
    I'm well aware of that. I'm not saying fuck him or fuck the team who made the documentary. I'm saying "well, fuck the people in the States who want to see this".

It feels like fans in the US are so far shit out of luck if they want to see the documentary. I know there have been a very limited number of screenings in some of the major markets here, but that's been it as far as I know. No mention of any availability for purchase in this country as far as I've seen; at least nothing concrete. Did I miss some big announcement about that?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I'm well aware of that. I'm not saying fuck him or fuck the team who made the documentary. I'm saying "well, fuck the people in the States who want to see this".

It feels like fans in the US are so far shit out of luck if they want to see the documentary. I know there have been a very limited number of screenings in some of the major markets here, but that's been it as far as I know. No mention of any availability for purchase in this country as far as I've seen; at least nothing concrete. Did I miss some big announcement about that?
    No, that's usually something a distributor would handle and they haven't sold the film to one here.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    What are Gary's best albums to come out since Telekon? I just heard the song Noise, Noise today and thought I'd give I, Assassin a spin, but none of his 80s albums seem to have nearly as high reviews as his late 70s albums. I'm not really interested in the more recent industrial stuff, hoping for some good new wave-era recommendations.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    What are Gary's best albums to come out since Telekon? I just heard the song Noise, Noise today and thought I'd give I, Assassin a spin, but none of his 80s albums seem to have nearly as high reviews as his late 70s albums. I'm not really interested in the more recent industrial stuff, hoping for some good new wave-era recommendations.
    Dance and I, Assassin are awesome. I'm not sure of the title of album it's on, but the one with "my breathing" is pretty good too imo.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I'm actually a big fan of The Fury. Not many Numanoids seem to like it because of all the prominent background singers and saxophone. But the PPG Wave synth sounds amazing on it and the lyrics are suuuuper dark — "Call Out the Dogs" is one of his best songs and there are two Blade Runner samples in it, to boot!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I don't really like his 80's stuff after Telekon. It got better in the 90s onward though.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm pretty much all aboard until the late 80s; then it's just some inane stuff with Bill Sharpe and the whole debacle with his days signed to IRS before the nadir of Machine + Soul, utterly awful. Dark Light is the renaissance album, for me. Good as the songs were, I really don't like the way Sacrifice was mixed (in fact, I think Ade Fenton mentioned he wanted to remix it). To be fair, he didn't have the assistance of any outside help with it (apart from Kipper and TJ Davis on "Scar") — his now-wife Gemma even had to help with the engineering because it was recorded entirely at his home studio. Even down to the mastering (which Gary admits he royally fucked up).
    Last edited by botley; 03-31-2017 at 06:18 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Jesus. That Arabian section of My Name Is Ruin sounds fantastic! I'm referring to the most recent update video where Gary plays that and 3 other new demos, "Where Will You Be When The World Comes Apart," "Cold," and "Ghost Nation" - the latter is the title he has given the one called "my lost iPhone".

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    appears on the new Music Inspired by the Motion Picture Ghost in the Shell album, along with tracks by Tricky and DJ Shadow.

I'm only seeing it on digital retailers — are soundtrack CDs even a thing anymore?
    Last edited by botley; 04-17-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I wonder why he's allowing a demo version to be put on there rather than the final version?

In any case, it sounds finished to me!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Hmmm.