Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Colin's okay. He's quite good In Bruges and The New World ​among others. Vaughn on the other hand could use some more dramatic work, his comedic persona is like nails on a chalkboard.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Colin's okay. He's quite good In Bruges and The New World ​among others. Vaughn on the other hand could use some more dramatic work, his comedic persona is like nails on a chalkboard.
    the first thing i saw vince vaughn in (besides The Lost World) was The Cell, and he was fantastic in it. i've always preferred him in dramatic roles.

sarah and i mainlined season 1 last week. 7 episodes on monday, season finale on tuesday. it was intense and awesome. i hope next season is good!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/24/true-detective-cast/

Rachel McAdams, Taylor Kitsch, and Kelly Reilly are all confirmed.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Just saw this! June 21st! YUSSSSSS.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    How am I supposed to care about new Game of Thrones after watching that trailer?! Wow. So happy to see that the 2nd season will have a similar look to the first (and thus have some visual continuity and not just thematic) – I was slightly worried when I found out Cary Fukunaga wasn't returning. Can't fucking wait.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Looks a little bland, to be honest. Must be saving all the good stuff for the actual show.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    This and Hannibal season 3 are going to be on TV at the same time of the year, this summer is going to be good.

I really enjoy how little this showed. It communicated an atmosphere and a tone, showed that the actors are going to look just as worn down as the original characters in season 1 did and baited me in with the style. Something I loved about season 1 was knowing absolutely nothing going in, this should be similar.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Looks a little bland, to be honest. Must be saving all the good stuff for the actual show.
    Not enough explosions? I know how you Americans like everything to be fireworks.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Bland? For me, it seemed to lure me in the minute it the trailer started. Everyone with that disdain look on their face, dark atmosphere, and Vince Vaughn sold me on that look he gives in the beginning. I know the writers said it will not be as dark as the first season... but it seems a lot different in the teaser. Cannot WAIT for this!

I am more intrigued about that Taylor Kitsch with bring to the table. He has picked some shitty, shitty roles to play... but I don't think he is the worst actor out there at all. Hopefully this is redemption for him.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm sure this is just a teaser for a more detail-oriented spot to come, but I dug it.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm not sold on Vince Vaughn either. I think he's become too one-note in recent years. Rachel McAdams though is intriguing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Not enough explosions? I know how you Americans like everything to be fireworks.
    Wow, sorry I didn't just get down on my knees and instantly kiss its ass. And nice rude assumption about my taste.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I'm certain that Vince Vaughn is going to make fans of (most of) his critics... and it's not like I love the guy as an actor or anything, but he's always felt perfect for the world of True D since he was cast. I'm honestly more curious/"worried" about Taylor Kitsch, but I haven't seen him in enough to have much of an opinion. I'm sure he'll be good. Anyway, I'm so crazy psyched for this.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i'm totally with you. what pulled me (and my wife) in about the first season was the eerie, supernatural angle, and it doesn't seem like there's going to be anything like that this season.

i'm not worried about vince vaughn, i've always loved him in serious roles. but i can't take colin farrel seriously with that god damn mustache. haha

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm totally with you. what pulled me (and my wife) in about the first season was the eerie, supernatural angle, and it doesn't seem like there's going to be anything like that this season.
    How can you possibly tell that from a minute long trailer with no dialogue?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    How can you possibly tell that from a minute long trailer with no dialogue?
    exactly. i couldn't, and that's why it seemed bland.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Wow, sorry I didn't just get down on my knees and instantly kiss its ass. And nice rude assumption about my taste.
    Not to mention, a great Simpsons reference.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Prediction: much like Harrelson and McConaughey, Farrell will turn in a career best performance.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm surprised that everyone seems really into this. These actors haven't built up enough good will to carry a silent trailer with just their intense glares, in my opinion. I'm not saying they won't earn it once the show is on -- I hope they do. But this is the sort of trailer you do for like Breaking Bad season four, when there's some history to it. When you're introducing a new cast, only one of whom has ever come even remotely close to pulling off a great performance (Colin -- and even that's debatable), a trailer like this really doesn't work.

Anyway, just a teaser, and I'll of course still be watching with high hopes that it comes even close to how superb season one was.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I feel like a lot of people were expecting an intensely awesome trailer for season 2, and are kinda being let down by the tease. There's literally nothing there. That doesn't make ME think it looks disappointing, because to be honest, I was skeptical about season 1, and that ended up blowing me away. I think it looks fine, but that might just be because I'm keeping expectations low.

That said, this is a teaser - not a full-blown trailer. It's intentionally put together without any sort of background about who the characters are and what the atmosphere's like, let alone any real indication of anyone's performance. I'll reserve judgement for the first three episodes, and maybe a little bit after we get a legitimate trail for season 2.

but i can't take colin farrel seriously with that god damn mustache. haha

Heh, you and me both. I don't think I've ever seen the guy with a broom-'stache like that. But it is what it is!
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 04-10-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Those of you concerned about Vince Vaughn should check out Clay Pigeons. It's going to be okay.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I've seen Clay Pigeons and he was good in that as well as Into the Wild. Yet, it's just that he doesn't have much range as an actor and tends to sleepwalk these days to the point that he plays the same fucking character over and over again.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    If there's anything that can rouse Vaughn from his decade-plus of sleepwalking as variations on Beanie, I think it's a critically acclaimed HBO drama. Wasn't he one of the first people cast for s2? Not that that means much but still. The biggest problem I foresee with s2 is, like someone else mentioned, that expectations are way higher than when s1 premiered.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen the guy with a broom-'stache like that. But it is what it is!

Somewhat reminiscent of Miami Vice (2006), no? I'm a huge fan of that flick, so maybe that's why I'm so obsessed with Farrell's new look. His 'stache makes its triumphant return!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    If Vince Vaughn is playing the villian, I could easily see him doing well. He'd be easy to hate, with his smarmy face and his signature "fat douche" persona. It could be like Dicaprio in Django Unchained: you'd never know he could make a great bad guy until he does it.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 04-11-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    If Vince Vaughn is playing the villian, I could easily see him doing well. He'd be easy to hate, with his smarmy face and his signature "fat douche" persona. It could be like Dicaprio is Django Unchained: you'd never know he could make a great bad guy until he does it.
    Come on now, let's not fat-shame Vaughn. Let's agree that he's a bit... pudgy.

And I agree that he has the potential to make a great bad guy. He's not a bad actor at all although he is guilty of having made bad career decisions regarding his roles. The same thing was true of Matthew McConaughey not so long ago. At the time when he was making all those insipid rom-com, who could have said that he would go on to win a well deserved Oscar?

As for Colin Farrell, he is a very solid actor. And very underrated. I've no fear that he'll be fantastic. And the 'stache is badass.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Vaughn actually looks a lot slimmer in the trailer. I always liked him in The Cell.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Oh yes very much. I remember first seeing some posters about the show, i thought to myself woody and McConaughey, yeah right, and its called...True Detective, that ought be good. But then again it was on HBO, but what really sold me was when i overheard a conversation about it, all i heard was Lovecraft, that day i got home and started watching it.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Isnt this one supposed to involve a cult as well?