Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2021

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    This could be filed under 'almost NIN spotting 2021'

Some guy called into Howard Stern a couple days ago and asked if he will ever have Trent as a guest on the show. Howard went on about how much he loves NIN and would love to have TR in studio. He said they have asked TRs publicist numerous times to appear on the show and have not gotten any sort of response so I guess thats a no....In the last few weeks thats Marc Maron and Howard Stern who said they would love to have TR as a guest but have been rebuffed

And for people who still think this is 1995 Howard who will just ask TR about strippers. Not exactly. Howards interviews these days are a lot more in depth and personal. TR would be great on Stern or Marons show but I guess he would rather do obscure podcasts instead
    Man I LOVED the interview with Lizzy Goodman. And she's not obscure. She is a journalist who has written for Rolling Stone and NYTimes and has a major book out.

Howard Stern is the worst. Marc Maron is pretty great. I'd listen to that. But fillow is probably right about there not being an opportunity for a lot of new stories to be told.

My sense after all of these years is that Trent Reznor is an extremely private person who prefers not to reveal a lot about his personal life outside of his lyrics. The best we are going to get is to hear about the creative process and that was happening a lot in this recent podcast.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...m_source=share

Really strange post on Reddit. Pretty random for sure.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...m_source=share

Really strange post on Reddit. Pretty random for sure.
    His posts history suggests that maybe he's not full of shit. He did post a lot about various instrumentals and promo rips

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I moved the conversational posts about interviews into random nin comments since that seems more appropriate for these tangents. https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...955#post534955

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Alright. Which one of you is this?

So this is a growing YouTube channel about NIN and it's almost all analysis from a music theory standpoint, if you're into that sort of thing.
    ?
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-25-2021 at 03:54 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Alright. Which one of you is this?

So this is a growing YouTube channel about NIN and it's almost all analysis from a music theory standpoint, if you're into that sort of thing.
    ?
    her videos have been posted several times around here already. she has some pretty good information about music theory and overall breakdown of instruments, sounds, etc.
    I particularly enjoy the video you mention above and the one she did about a warm place, was pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    her videos have been posted several times around here already. she has some pretty good information about music theory and overall breakdown of instruments, sounds, etc.
    I particularly enjoy the video you mention above and the one she did about a warm place, was pretty damn good.
    Oh, word?

I know one thing: I'd be very, very intimidated trying to play in a band with this lady.
    "I said mixolydian and you flatted the FOURTH!"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    You'd likely learn A LOT really quickly in that scenario.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Oh, word?

I know one thing: I'd be very, very intimidated trying to play in a band with this lady.
    "I said mixolydian and you flatted the FOURTH!"
    Hmm, not to be "that guy" but...the fourth cannot really be "flatted" in a mixolydian mode. A fourth can either be diminished, perfect or augmented. A diminished fourth is equivalent to a major third. In a mixolydian mode, the fourth degree is a perfect fourth from the fundamental, which means, if, still in a mixolydian mode, the fourth degree was to be flatted, it would essentially result in playing the 3rd degree of the scale twice and then jumping to the 5th.

In other words, here is an example:

Mixolydian C scale:
    C-D-E-F-G-A-Bflat-C

Moxilydian C scale with flatted fourth:
    C-D-E-Fflat-G-A-Bflat-C

F flat = E

In a lydian mode however, the fourth is augmented, which means flatting it would result in changing your lydian mode to a ionian mode (basically a major scale).

C lydian:
    C-D-E-F#-G-A-B-C

C lydian with flatted fourth:
    C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

/end musical theory rant.
    Last edited by Indefinite_Cure; 05-25-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Music is so fucking complicated. I don’t understand a word of that, lately I’ve been using Simply Piano and got to a state where I can do simple things with 2 hands and then I end up wondering why I bother

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    New interview with Charlie Clouser which, of course, has a few NIN mentions: https://heavyocity.com/artist/charlie-clouser/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vav View Post
    more like 41:30ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    more like 41:30ish
    But then you'll miss the weirdest rickroll ever (NIN-related even).

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefinite_Cure View Post
    Hmm, not to be "that guy" but...the fourth cannot really be "flatted" in a mixolydian mode. A fourth can either be diminished, perfect or augmented. A diminished fourth is equivalent to a major third. In a mixolydian mode, the fourth degree is a perfect fourth from the fundamental, which means, if, still in a mixolydian mode, the fourth degree was to be flatted, it would essentially result in playing the 3rd degree of the scale twice and then jumping to the 5th.

In other words, here is an example:

Mixolydian C scale:
    C-D-E-F-G-A-Bflat-C

Moxilydian C scale with flatted fourth:
    C-D-E-Fflat-G-A-Bflat-C

F flat = E

In a lydian mode however, the fourth is augmented, which means flatting it would result in changing your lydian mode to a ionian mode (basically a major scale).

C lydian:
    C-D-E-F#-G-A-B-C

C lydian with flatted fourth:
    C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

/end musical theory rant.

it was a fucking JOKE...a joke based on the fact that mixolydian is ionian with the seventh dropped by a semi tone, and the joke being that a.flat fourth would be outside the mode.
    Not that ANY of that shit necessarily has ANYTHING to do with being able to play an instrument.

Edit: didn't mean to be so harsh, there, @Indefinite_Cure . I was fucking piiiiised yesterday, and not at you. So I lightened it up a bit.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-26-2021 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamecat235 View Post
    But then you'll miss the weirdest rickroll ever (NIN-related even).
    i deleted it at first because it’s a full minute of rick roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Rob posted a bunch of NIN videos to his youtube portfolio. I'm sure we're seen all this footage already, but it's nice anyway

Bonus: Disappointed (posted a few months ago)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Looking at a local record store website and see they have Ghosts V and VI for sale. Weird. I click through and sure enough they're actually selling the digital files for $7.99 or the individual songs for $.99. How bizarre.

Ghosts V: Together
    Format: Digital
    Label: The Null Corporation
    Rel. Date: 03/27/2020
    UPC: 859738056342
    Ghosts VI: Locusts
    Rel. Date: 03/27/2020
    UPC: 859738055437
    other strange items:

God Break Down The Door - Single
    Rel. Date: 05/17/2018
    UPC: 859726745104
    Recoiled
    Format: CD
    Label: CLDS
    Catalog: 1105832
    Rel. Date: 04/01/2014
    UPC: 5060174956799
    Reznor sent over the original multi-tracks and DATs to Hyde/Christopherson, who independently mixed versions and then met to synch both creations, molding them into these master versions. Recoiled includes five lengthy compositions are pre-Ableton/laptop generation type priest song creations, with the use of baby alarms and numerous wires to create bespoke effects. These legendary tracks were always rumored to exist and, only the due diligence of a dedicated NIN forum who hunted them down, are released/unleashed for your listening pleasure.
    That one sounds kind of recursive in regards to spotting.

Karaoke - Nine Inch Nails
    Label: 2011 Ameritz Music Ltd
    Rel. Date: 11/22/2011
    UPC: 886788298507
    I do kind of want this?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Those Ghosts volumes have been for sale digitally on Amazon and other major digital outlets for a long time.
    Last edited by piggy; 05-26-2021 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Interesting. I guess my question now is why? I went to the nin.store.com and sure enough they're still there for free.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I have no idea. I think The Slip may have also been for sale digitally during the time that it was available for free from NIN.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Interesting. I guess my question now is why? I went to the nin.store.com and sure enough they're still there for free.
    The original Ghosts was released as a free download as well. There were, of course, physical editions available too - but after a little while, Ghosts showed up on iTunes and other digital storefronts.

If you heard NIN had a new album out, and you were 100% bought into iTunes, you'd search for Nine Inch Nails and wouldn't be able to download Ghosts. People on iTunes expect to pay for music, so... you could buy Ghosts. Even though it was free.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Capitalism.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    The original Ghosts was released as a free download as well. There were, of course, physical editions available too - but after a little while, Ghosts showed up on iTunes and other digital storefronts.

If you heard NIN had a new album out, and you were 100% bought into iTunes, you'd search for Nine Inch Nails and wouldn't be able to download Ghosts. People on iTunes expect to pay for music, so... you could buy Ghosts. Even though it was free.
    I'm pretty sure only Ghosts I was free. If you wanted the rest you had to pay.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    I'm pretty sure only Ghosts I was free. If you wanted the rest you had to pay.
    NIN wiki - The Slip

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I'm talking about Ghosts I-IV. The free download from nin.com only included Ghosts I. If you wanted all four it was a $5 download.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Music is so fucking complicated. I don’t understand a word of that, lately I’ve been using Simply Piano and got to a state where I can do simple things with 2 hands and then I end up wondering why I bother
    keep at it! I am using Playground Sessions and I am about at the same place. In my forties. But here is a reason to keep going: think about it: Many of the musicians we love picked up a guitar or drums or keys as a teenager. A lazy ass m, goofing off teenager. By their 20’s they are playing arena shows and having people write books about them.

it doesn’t take that long to learn enough to make something is my point. Are we going to be Beethoven? No, but fuck that guy. Can we make expressive original music that has something to say? At least as well as a teenager, maybe better. We know how to learn things, know how to be disciplined, know what we want, and all of that is to our advantage.

so be kind to yourself. If you are putting in the time to learn this you are way ahead of anyone just sitting on the couch wishing and fantasizing about where they could be in life.

You are already doing it. You are already a musician. You are in the road, now just keep getting better.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    keep at it! I am using Playground Sessions and I am about at the same place. In my forties. But here is a reason to keep going: think about it: Many of the musicians we love picked up a guitar or drums or keys as a teenager. A lazy ass m, goofing off teenager. By their 20’s they are playing arena shows and having people write books about them.

it doesn’t take that long to learn enough to make something is my point. Are we going to be Beethoven? No, but fuck that guy. Can we make expressive original music that has something to say? At least as well as a teenager, maybe better. We know how to learn things, know how to be disciplined, know what we want, and all of that is to our advantage.

so be kind to yourself. If you are putting in the time to learn this you are way ahead of anyone just sitting on the couch wishing and fantasizing about where they could be in life.

You are already doing it. You are already a musician. You are in the road, now just keep getting better.
    Thanks Max - yes I will keep at it, it's just a goal to be able to play The Frail - which seems simple but when you get to it, isn't!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    I'm talking about Ghosts I-IV. The free download from nin.com only included Ghosts I. If you wanted all four it was a $5 download.
    Upon reflection, I may have conflated Ghosts and The Slip, because I'm an old now.