Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: thninchnails: hurt (stained) and heresy ep (fan made remixes)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    What can I say about this. It’s interesting enough for me to enjoy but in certain terms I can tell it’s a fan. It almost makes me think of the year zero fan album (limitless potential?). Additionally I would want to hear more from anyone in the future who could build on this with there own alternate interpretation. Even if they all suck it would be fun. Who knows, enough traction and Brent Rozner might have a chat with Raticuss Boss and we may get ourselves an EP- or a contest picking their best fan choices for how many tracks they decide to lay on.
    Last edited by Destruct26; 06-06-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I've said this before, but I wish Trent would assemble all the remixes from the two Further Down The Spiral tracklists along with the remixes on March Of The Pigs and Closer releases and any other unreleased remixes he may have into one large remix release... Even Further Down The Spiral. Perhaps even include b-sides like Burn, Dead Souls, March Of The Fuckheads, etc.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    What can I say about this. It’s interesting enough for me to enjoy but in certain terms I can tell it’s a fan. It almost makes me think of the year zero fan album (limitless potential?).
    Regardless of how 'real' this is, it's worthwhile noting that a release like this is just as legitimate as Danny Hyde's Recoiled.

No shade on Danny; I actually think he did a great job. The fact remains, however, that it was just him rearranging material from some tapes he found. Plus, the art was made by an ets member!

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Regardless of how 'real' this is, it's worthwhile noting that a release like this is just as legitimate as Danny Hyde's Recoiled.

No shade on Danny; I actually think he did a great job. The fact remains, however, that it was just him rearranging material from some tapes he found.
    I don’t think that’s an accurate characterization. The remixes contained on Recoiled were officially commissioned by NIN back in the day, and Coil were given the actual stems for remixing. Danny did excavation and assembly but the work was already done by Coil. Furthermore, the release of Recoiled had Trent’s approval.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    The remixes contained on Recoiled were officially commissioned by NIN back in the day, and Coil were given the actual stems for remixing. Danny did excavation and assembly but the work was already done by Coil.
    The versions on the official NIN halos were commissioned by NIN, true. However, while the Recoiled remixes were originally touted as being 'lost' versions, they were actually newly assembled in 2012 from old stems. They may have Trent's approval but are essentially no different from fan mixes.

IIRC, the Recoiled release was also originally released on ets as a free download...
    Last edited by katara; 06-07-2020 at 03:49 AM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    The versions on the official NIN halos were commissioned by NIN, true. However, while the Recoiled remixes were originally touted as being 'lost' versions, they were actually newly assembled in 2012 from old stems. They may have Trent's approval but are essentially no different from fan mixes.
    That still sounds like a mischaracterization to me. Based on what Danny said:

"So the pre big mix studio sessions were effectively all the pre big studio runs of what we were doing at home in the little studio. You'd do a little mixdown to DAT for your records so when you got to the big studio you could play it, if someone said "what are you thinking?" But before you set up all the machines and fired it at them you could play them that if they wandered in. And those DATs and subsequent notes those DAT created I reran a load of the sections that we had created, and I reran them exactly as we had done them. And I record all the notes, the effects, the levels and everything. If I didn't have a certain section as the DAT had corrupted or whatever I reran them again and cut and pasted between the various versions. The pre-big studio versions is exactly what it says; it's the versions that were done at home before the multi thousand pound machines were allowed to do the final mix."

it sounds like he just recreated the DAT mixdowns from their sessions at their home studios. Maybe I'm reading that wrong?

Edit: I guess the truth is somewhere in-between:

It's disingenuous though to say that these are no different from fan mixes. It's from the original (officially commissioned by NIN) studio work by Coil, with a sanctioned commercial release.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    That still sounds like a mischaracterization to me. Based on what Danny said:

"So the pre big mix studio sessions were effectively all the pre big studio runs of what we were doing at home in the little studio. You'd do a little mixdown to DAT for your records so when you got to the big studio you could play it, if someone said "what are you thinking?" But before you set up all the machines and fired it at them you could play them that if they wandered in. And those DATs and subsequent notes those DAT created I reran a load of the sections that we had created, and I reran them exactly as we had done them. And I record all the notes, the effects, the levels and everything. If I didn't have a certain section as the DAT had corrupted or whatever I reran them again and cut and pasted between the various versions. The pre-big studio versions is exactly what it says; it's the versions that were done at home before the multi thousand pound machines were allowed to do the final mix."

it sounds like he just recreated the DAT mixdowns from their sessions at their home studios. Maybe I'm reading that wrong?
    It was confirmed that these were never old mixes created contemporaneously.

Danny was contacted by various people regarding 'lost' remixes like The Downward Spiral (a gilded sickness). He told those people that he had the mixes, then transferred the DAT tapes to which he originally bounced the stems. He made the Recoiled EP from those stems. So, he never had any unreleased mixes, he just told us he did and made new ones instead.
    The source material is genuine Coil. Recoiled is Danny Hyde revisiting that material and moving things around a bit.

He pulled the wool over our eyes. Again, I still think what he did is good, although he did bend the truth.

I see many parallels between the Recoiled story and this 'thninchnails' release.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    ... why the facepalm? That's exactly what happened. Isn't it? Unless both my memory and ninwiki are wrong.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah that video ruined my idea of the provenance of those Uncoiled/Recoiled remixes.

That seemed to also open the door for the Danny Hyde Cash Grab Coil Release Campaign, which, while often welcome, should be approached as having an asterisk like this release does. In Coil reissue case, it’s not that he’s adding stuff to the songs, it’s more that he’s releasing them under his blessing only when he was just the Alan Moulder of the sessions so to speak.

Recoiled was listed on the NIN discography on NIN.com and that was the only nod TR gave to it. It was ETS official almost like the TOIOU AVOTT release was, if the community didn’t pull thru, it wouldn’t have happened.

Which brings me to your remix ep. I love each of these 5 versions. They’re exactly my shit. You did a great job and I’ve said that in this thread twice. If remix.nin.com was still around these would be at the top of the Top Rated Fan Only playlists.

But because you released as a faux-TNIN release, you brought forth confusion in the fan world. There’s probably still people who think this is TR/AR. One of those people being Jim Penola on twitter:

There’s plenty of NIN remixes on Bandcamp. That’s not the issue. It’s releasing *as them* that is the problem and exactly why you got hit with The Takedown.

Again, you should have released this under your own name.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    ... why the facepalm? That's exactly what happened. Isn't it? Unless both my memory and ninwiki are wrong.
    So then, if this heresy EP and recoiled are born of such similar situations, why isn’t katara credited anywhere as being a studio gimp?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    So then, if this heresy EP and recoiled are born of such similar situations, why isn’t katara credited anywhere as being a studio gimp?
    That reminds me, I’m surprised you didn’t work this Reptile with Peter Murphy in somehow, it fit your theme:

And also sampling of Coil to acknowledge Peter C: First Dark Ride shares many of the samples as The Downward Spiral (The Bottom):

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Now we need a new Downward Spiral remix album (but properly credited this time).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Great remix album, thank you to whoever put this together.. the work is fantastic. At this point I don't care if this is legitimate, fan made, squirrel made, etc. I'm just glad it exists

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's a great idea regardless of the controversy surrounding the way the creator released it. It makes me long for the days where every major NIN release had a corresponding remix release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stumbled upon this too late to download the lossless files. Is someone who has the FLACs willing to share?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torso View Post
    Stumbled upon this too late to download the lossless files. Is someone who has the FLACs willing to share?
    Yeah, I have the FLACs, but got no private place to upload them to. What’s a hassle-free service for sharing something like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listened to this in the car on friday and WOW i fucking love it. i honestly don't care that these aren't "official" remixes because they're really good remixes.

seriously, kudos. i, like many hear, am curious how you sourced much of the audio, especially since some of it is from existing remixes that aren't available in 5.1 where it's easier to strip out components...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Yeah, I have the FLACs, but got no private place to upload them to. What’s a hassle-free service for sharing something like this?
    I suppose the FLACs could be compressed into an archive and posted to Google Drive?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Guys, they are already posted for download at the MEGA link in the first post.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Who won those Urban Outfitters Saigon prints last year?
    I was really hoping people would post when they got them. But never got much after the fact. Here is where they lived:

1. California
    2. Dublin, Ireland
    3. Antrim, Northern Ireland
    4. Pennsylvania
    5. LA

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    I was really hoping people would post when they got them. But never got much after the fact. Here is where they lived:

1. California
    2. Dublin, Ireland
    3. Antrim, Northern Ireland
    4. Pennsylvania
    5. LA
    Two went to people relatively near each other on the island of IRELAND, of all places? Hmm...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Without going into too many specifics, the Republic of Ireland is its own independent state and Northern Ireland is a constituent country of the United Kingdom. They are more-or-less completely different countries.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Two went to people relatively near each other on the island of IRELAND, of all places? Hmm...
    nothing too suspicious about California and LA, eh?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    One of the Cali recipients put theirs up for auction on eBay months back, I assume right after they got it in the mail. I offered them an undisclosed sum and they sold it to me because nobody had yet bid on it. Pretty sure it wasn’t mailed out of LA though..

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I don't know if I am reading this wrong or what, but I don't know why everyone is butthurt about the winners. It was randomly generated out of a few thousand entries via an excel sheet. Again, was hoping the winners would post about getting them so I didn't put their names up. Not everyone likes to share and I get that.

Also, just realized one of the California winners was in the San Fernando Valley region, so LA x2.

Very disappointed to hear that one was sold. But no way I could control that.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    I don't know if I am reading this wrong or what, but I don't know why everyone is butthurt about the winners. It was randomly generated out of a few thousand entries via an excel sheet.
    My man...I was completely kidding. I thought that would be obvious with the McMillions FBI agent pic.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Without going into too many specifics, the Republic of Ireland is its own independent state and Northern Ireland is a constituent country of the United Kingdom. They are more-or-less completely different countries.
    I'm well aware of that. That's why I wrote it as "relatively near each other on the island of IRELAND". I was just being dumb anyway.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    what is behind the bizarre, meltdown sleeve notes, melding the history of NIN and Atticus into a Watchmen cold war alternative linear reality.

Sleazy and Trent fell out over the SIN video debacle? Then became friends again, it was being made into a short horror film WTF

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    what is behind the bizarre, meltdown sleeve notes, melding the history of NIN and Atticus into a Watchmen cold war alternative linear reality.

Sleazy and Trent fell out over the SIN video debacle? Then became friends again, it was being made into a short horror film WTF
    My take on this is that TNIN 'Sin' video was an alternate universe version of the Broken movie (or at least part of it).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    @spahn , should this get an entry in the catalog under unauthorized?