Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics!!!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Permission to join the bandwagon? I've started getting into comics in a big way this year. I've always been kinda interested in comic book 'culture' and enjoyed them from afar, but decided it was time to finally take the plunge. Been reading up on a lot of Marvel and DC 'big' titles: Killing Joke, Watchmen, Superman: Earth One, Civil War. Also, really been enjoying the Marvel Now and New 52 series like All-New X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy and Superman Unchained. The Massive is pretty good too...I think someone mentioned it earlier.

So, any recommendations for a n00b?

Also, Space Suicide I'm totally going to get that Harley comic for my sis's Christmas based on your review, she's all about Harley Quinn.
    Better hurry if you intend to get that Harley Quinn issue, that's Issue #0 and has been out since November. Soon it'll be gone as next week Issue #1 comes out.

I'll recommend things but it all depends on what you like? DC? Marvel? Superhero? Supervillain?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Owner of two new graphic novels.

The Long Halloween

The Joker: Death of the Family (hardcover and all volumes)
    The Log Halloween is awesome!, one of my favorite Batman stories ever!!!

I'm currently reading "Chew" and "Locke and Key", i highly recommend both...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Next in line

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Have you ever read "Mad Love"? it's a graphic novel based on the 90's show, but it's a great Harley Quinn story!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Have you ever read "Mad Love"? it's a graphic novel based on the 90's show, but it's a great Harley Quinn story!
    No, I should though. Harley Quinn is my favorite Batman villainess so it only would make sense. Never found it for a good enough price.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/%24.50-D...Comic___240783

This is so amazing. I'm going to buy a fuckton.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/%24.50-D...Comic___240783

This is so amazing. I'm going to buy a fuckton.
    Sold!

Gotta go to the comic store, i already have Fantastic Four waiting for me, are you into Marvel at all? you seem more like a DC guy to me...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Sold!

Gotta go to the comic store, i already have Fantastic Four waiting for me, are you into Marvel at all? you seem more like a DC guy to me...
    They have a Marvel Grab bag too.

No, outside of Spider-Man, Venom and Captain America I don't care for Marvel.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    They have a Marvel Grab bag too.

No, outside of Spider-Man, Venom and Captain America I don't care for Marvel.
    It sounded like it... "Superior Spider-Man" it's very entertaining right now... I already ordered 20 bags...

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Hinterkind is a fairly new Vertigo series, up to issue #3 I believe (I haven't been to my comics shop for a few weeks now so #4 might be out already). It's up to a strong start!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Welp, I'm going to be a crazy asshole and attempt to get a good chunk of the Villains Month special issues that DC put out. The 3D lenticular cover variants as well.

I just bought Reverse Flash

I'm bidding on Joker, Poison Ivy and the Riddler.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Good luck! there are so many and very expensive (at least they were over here...)

I wasn't really THAT interested, just wanted the one of the titles i buy and i really wanted that sweet-ass "Darkseid" cover, "Lobo" too!

The variants are getting annoying, you end up buying the same comic 3 or 4 times, though i'll admit i'm a sucker for the Skottie Young "baby variants"

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Good luck! there are so many and very expensive (at least they were over here...)

I wasn't really THAT interested, just wanted the one of the titles i buy and i really wanted that sweet-ass "Darkseid" cover, "Lobo" too!

The variants are getting annoying, you end up buying the same comic 3 or 4 times, though i'll admit i'm a sucker for the Skottie Young "baby variants"
    Outside of eBay, I found a website that sells each 3D lenticular cover version for 40% off the cover price. I'd love them all but I honestly will probably just go for the Batman villains, seeing as he's my favorite.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Since i have some extra money, i think i'll pick up "Joker" by Brian Azzarello, the art is so f'n badass!!!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Welp, the local store had some issues of what I'm looking for. They weren't 3D variants but that's quite all right. I still got them to read and I wanted them this quick anyways. Managed to get four issues.

Ra's Al Ghul
    Joker's Daughter
    The Court of Owls
    Mr. Freeze

I want and might bother getting 3D variants of these too, anyway, whenever I go on my little spending spree on other issues of this series this upcoming week.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    That "Court of Owls" cover is great!
    I heard nothing but bad things of "Joker's Daughter", is it really that bad?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    That "Court of Owls" cover is great!
    I heard nothing but bad things of "Joker's Daughter", is it really that bad?
    Didn't read it yet. It's one of the rarest of the set as far as 3D variants go.

Can't be too bad.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

So it begins.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Great prices on those, congrats!

I'm currently reading "Rise of the Third Army" and all the tie ins of "The Red Lanterns" and "Green Lantern Cops" though it's a bit of a ripoff of "Blackest Night", the even has been going decent and even entretaining, the part were all the corps under Guy Gardner's command are killed is great, let's see how this ends...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I got my DC grab bag comics in the mail today. I got

Green Lantern New 52 Sinestro #1 (Red Alt Cover - Nov 2011) (Oddly the alt cover of the same issue I bought weeks ago!)
    Stormwatch New 52 #1 (Nov 2011)
    Tales of the Teen Titans: The Return of Cyborg / The End of the Fearsome Five! (Oct 1985)
    Static and Black Lightning #24 (Aug 2009)
    Justice League Quarterly Featuring The Conglomerate! (Winter 1990)
    The Pentacle vs... Shadowpact #2 (Aug 2006)
    Diablo #1 of 5 (Jan 2012)

Diverse group I got!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Mine hasn't arrived yet... (disadvantages of living in another Country...)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    For my money, Image and Dark Horse are the two best comic publishers right now. Saga, Morning Glories, The Massive, Revival, Hellboy, BPRD, Manhattan Projects, East of West, Mind MGMT, Lazarus, Mind The Gap... I can keep going on and on.

The only superhero books I'm picking up are Batman, Wonder Woman, Hawkeyer and Superman Unchained. I'm not trying to display that as a badge of honor, but the Big Two do hardly anything to engage me as a reader anymore. I'm just seeing so much more passion and creativity elsewhere right now. If you guys are just getting into comics, do yourselves a big favor and check out some of the books I've listed in this post.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Image really sucked me in with their DRM-free digital comics, as well as Matt Fraction's projects with them. I'm still primarily a Marvel reader, but I've got a bunch of Image comics on my list as well.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I'm already huge on Image (reading Saga, Chew, Manhatan Projects and Nowhere Men), Dark Horse (check out The Massive, Star Wars and Brian Wood's Connan) and even IDW (The Maxx, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Crow and Ghostbusters are my favs).
    I agree that "The big two" are getting repetitive, yet they still manage to entertain me with some of the titles we already mentioned...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So out of the DC Villains Month 3D variant issues I'm gathering, after this morning's orders I now own 30 out of 52. Plenty of photos when I get them!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    I seriously hope you're not buying all the villains issues because of the stories. *guffaws*

Echoing what @Lt. Randazzo and @henryeatscereal said, my tastes cater more towards independent publications nowadays. I can't praise Sex Criminals enough! I mean, look at this cover for the upcoming fourth printing of #1

That being said, my favorite comic from the big two this year was Thor: God of Thunder. Three motherfucking Thors!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    I seriously hope you're not buying all the villains issues because of the stories. *guffaws*
    Yes and no. Both for collecting purposes and to read. I do read what I buy.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    i picked up the hardback collection of Neil Gaiman's "Death" this past thursday. I'd read them before and had them digitally, but never individually, so it was a nice package to add to my Sandman collection. i'm eagerly waiting for Sandman: Overture to get a physical release.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^You mean "Death: the high cost of living"? that one is a masterpiece!
    @orestes , I haven't read Sex Criminals, i should do it soon!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    it's the deluxe edition, so it contains "High Cost of Living", "The Time of Your Life", as well as Sandman "The Sound of Her Wings" and "Façade", the chapter "Death and Venice" from Endless Nights, and three short stories, "A Winter's Tale", "The Wheel" and "Death Talks About Life".