Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) SPOILERS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Listened through again last night and I have a bit of a theory. Probably unoriginal, given that Trent hinted at the general themes for each record already. First off, gonna dive into Bad Witch on its own:

The first two tracks on BW are much rockier in sensibility than the rest. Looking at the lyrics, they're also more confident, more reckless, more angry. A bit of that growly saxophone comes in to remind us of where we're headed, but it's not ultra prominent yet. We're violently looking for answers in the bad part of town. Excited, angry, careless like the music. Toward the end of Ahead of Ourselves as we start to hear that refrain, there's a sense of trepidation. Maybe this isn't such a good idea. Maybe this was too ambitious. Maybe we don't actually want to go where we're headed, but we're not stopping now.

The third and fourth tracks bring us into the underbelly, the sewage system. A dark, diesel-soaked realm of introspection and confusion that doesn't offer the easy explanation we were looking for. The saxes are in full effect. We're told we shouldn't be here. It's not safe to be here.

The final two tracks chronicle the escape and aftermath. In I'm Not From This World, we find a backdoor. It's risky, it's frightening, it's not a path commonly taken, but we'll do anything to leave the uh... sax world. Note how consistent the rhythm is. It's pounding, it's like a machine. We're barreling down this corridor, trying our best not to look back. The chaos from behind us makes itself heard, but we're only thinking one thing: move. Finally, we emerge in Over and Out. Not unmarked by the experience, but happy to be out and questioning why we felt the need to go down that rabbit hole in the first place. Why bother? Maybe the answer is that there is none. None that we'd find satisfactory or pleasant, anyway.

Pretty classic Nine Inch Nails narrative, really. What impresses me more than anything is that this story has now been told in the shortest, most efficient way possible. Six songs, that's all we need.

I see BW as a kind of micro-representation of the whole trilogy's story. A condensed, simplified version which works on its own as well as a final third. So as far as examining the trilogy as a whole:

Remember the Reznor interview where NTAE is described as exploring and lashing out at oneself for answers. The lyrics are incredibly insular. It's music written for a character trapped within their own head. Occasional observations of the outside world and past experiences are made, but we're viewing that world through a tiny slit in an otherwise impenetrable fortress. We are, for the most part, keeping to our own devices. Sticking to what and who we know. We uncover some potentially disturbing facts, but with Burning Bright, we absolve ourselves. We're not perfect, but it can't possibly be us. It's got to be them. It's got to be the world that's the problem.

In AV, we step out into that world. We notice destruction. We notice the deaths of our heroes. But if the blame lies with the outside world, would that conclusion truly satisfy us? Are we sure this is what we want? Daunting situation, if so.

Maybe it's a combination of the internal and external, which Reznor alluded to in the aforementioned interview. Maybe it's all of humanity. So in BW, we synthesize what we've learned. Our own arrogance, confidence, frustration, and righteous anger fueled by what we've observed outside lead us to do a deep dive into the human condition. We're strong enough to handle this. We're ready for it. We go in guns blazing with the first two tracks of the record. Yet by the time we descend into Sax World, we realize we're anything but ready. We've dug ourselves so deep that the way out won't be easy, but we take it because it's the only option. And now that we're out, we question whether it was worth trying at all.
    Last edited by Blade3327; 06-19-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
    I'm Not From this World: This song is about the conception of Donald Trump. It's the disgusting soundtrack to his parents rutting. Papa Trump shoots his creepy, crawly load and we're all fucked.
    Good fucking god. /Nightmares

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Will the preordered digital download please be released early already?!? I'm growing impatient with all this chatter. I haven't listened to any leaked music and it's torturous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Will the preordered digital download please be released early already?!? I'm growing impatient with all this chatter. I haven't listened to any leaked music and it's torturous.
    same, it is killing me

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    There's a 24 bit FLAC floating around that had to come directly from somewhere as no digital store is selling the 24 bit. Did some people receive their links early from the official NIN store? That's the only place I can see this coming from.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    There's a 24 bit FLAC floating around that had to come directly from somewhere as no digital store is selling the 24 bit. Did some people receive their links early from the official NIN store? That's the only place I can see this coming from.
    Depends on if its really a 24bit source or not. I've seen things that were transcoded and represented as hires. For some reason, people like doing things like that.

The other possiblity is that the files are real, but watermarked somehow to help identify the source of the leak.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Depends on if its really a 24bit source or not. I've seen things that were transcoded and represented as hires. For some reason, people like doing things like that.

The other possiblity is that the files are real, but watermarked somehow to help identify the source of the leak.
    The 24 bit files have lyrics embedded in them, including extra ones in GBDTD in the style of the other extra lyrics in the trilogy. I have trouble believing they're faked in any way especially due to that. Who knows how they got out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I received the shipment e-mail for the deluxe bundle just now, but the link to download the digital goods still only brings me to GBDTD...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I listened and wow I need to take this in a few times. Initial thoughts are "shit mirror" and "ahead of ourselves" are crazy. Crazy good like, top tier nin. "God breakdown the door" makes way more sense in this context. I really liked it before but now it feels like home.
    The whole thing is very lo fi/industrial/jazz. The instrumentals are great and very new sounding but still nin. They weren't what i expected from everyone's reviews though. I'm still digesting "over and out".
    Overall it is great. But all three of these releases sound completely different to me. I dont feel the cohesion musically enough to call it a trilogy based off anything other than that there were 3 short releases right in a row, and that TR says it is. I dont know how people are talking about blending the three. The other two releases are re-invigorated nin, this is straight up new sound nin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is my favorite EP/LP of the bunch. This one more than the other two really feels like Trent and Atticus pushed themselves outside of their comfort zones a little bit and I really appreciate that. I can hear the whole NIN catalogues inspiration come through here. The instrumental tracks on here are so much better than I thought they'd be. And damn Shit Mirror and Ahead of Ourselves are fucking intense in the best way.

Hope to hear some Bad Witch live in the fall. I hope this one gets the critical acclaim it deserves.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post

Yes, I'm sure of it. I imagine it was a redeemed download code from a vinyl copy obtained before the street date

24bit, 48000hz just like NTAE / AV
    Embedded lyrics in ALL CAPS with EXTRA LYRICS
    2000 x 2000 embedded cover art.

The only thing that's not OG is the [redacted] in the comments field.
    Last edited by tricil; 06-19-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: download code bit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    this is all pretty tasty and it will be a grower for me but I have to say i would have liked a couple less instrumental songs, as good as they are (they are!) it's a bit too many for a 6 songs release.
    NIN is what it is with Trent voice over the music, without vocals it just become TRAR soundtracks, i just wish the line was less blurry.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    this is all pretty tasty and it will be a grower for me but I have to say i would have liked a couple less instrumental songs, as good as they are (they are!) it's a bit too many for a 6 songs release.
    NIN is what it is with Trent voice over the music, without vocals it just become TRAR soundtracks, i just wish the line was less blurry.
    My argument is that, there have been NIN instrumentals since 1992. While some of these are ambient soundscapes, most of them are far more attention-demanding than the scores. Many of them work as standalone compositions, whereas the scores don't always do that (for me). And both of these instrumentals have more intricate parts and dynamics, and feel more like actual songs than a lot of the soundtracks to me. That's what makes the line less blurry for me; "Just Like You Imagined" or "Pilgrimage" are songs that would be really distracting and too varied as accompaniment for most films, and I fee the same way about "Play the Goddamned Part." "I'm Not From This World" is a bit closer to an ambient soundscape like the Quake soundtracks but it's still more unusual and more involving than the TR/AR scores to me.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    With the obvious exception of Ghosts, BW is the first NIN album or EP to not include the word "fuck"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    With the obvious exception of Ghosts, BW is the first NIN album or EP to not include the word "fuck"
    Unless the silence whisper in Shit Mirror says fuck.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If I had any complaints, which I don't, this would be the biggest! I'ts just not NIN without the word fuck being screamed in anger.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Shit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    If I had any complaints, which I don't, this would be the biggest! I'ts just not NIN without the word fuck being screamed in anger.
    Kidsafe NIN?

From an AV era interview:

'Reznor recounted that recently, his two older sons told him their mother had played his new EP for them, and they told him their favorite song was "Less Than." "That’s sweet, but then I’m thinking, Don’t I say ‘f--k’ in that one?" said Reznor. "Same thing when they were at sound check: What song don’t I say ‘f--k’ in?" '

https://www.today.com/parents/parent...reznor-t114355

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Kidsafe NIN?

From an AV era interview:

'Reznor recounted that recently, his two older sons told him their mother had played his new EP for them, and they told him their favorite song was "Less Than." "That’s sweet, but then I’m thinking, Don’t I say ‘f--k’ in that one?" said Reznor. "Same thing when they were at sound check: What song don’t I say ‘f--k’ in?" '

https://www.today.com/parents/parent...reznor-t114355
    "So which of daddy's songs did you like the best this time?"
    "shit mirror"
    "oh good I don't say fuck in that song"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    "So which of daddy's songs did you like the best this time?"
    "shit mirror"
    "oh good I don't say fuck in that song"
    He doesn't say shit though, haha. Just don't let 'em see the tracklist, lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    My argument is that, there have been NIN instrumentals since 1992. While some of these are ambient soundscapes, most of them are far more attention-demanding than the scores. Many of them work as standalone compositions, whereas the scores don't always do that (for me). And both of these instrumentals have more intricate parts and dynamics, and feel more like actual songs than a lot of the soundtracks to me. That's what makes the line less blurry for me; "Just Like You Imagined" or "Pilgrimage" are songs that would be really distracting and too varied as accompaniment for most films, and I fee the same way about "Play the Goddamned Part." "I'm Not From This World" is a bit closer to an ambient soundscape like the Quake soundtracks but it's still more unusual and more involving than the TR/AR scores to me.
    very true, even more so if you reference older instrumentals such as the fragile ones, they definitely sound more like songs than soundscapes. but fragile was 20+ songs, bw is just 6, i guess that's my main issue but it is what it is so it's fine.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    These instrumentals aren't the on the same level as those fragile instrumentals. Those are huge sweeping pieces that have different sections and movements. They are orchestral. These are more loop driven.

That's not to say these are bad or even worse. Just different.

Now that I think about it, the fragile instrumentals are very guitar driven. Not a lot of guitar on this album.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 06-19-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I truly didn't expect the lyrics of Ahead Of Ourselves to be this direct and vicious lol. Amazing. A definite indictment of the religious right and human stupidity in general that has brought us to where we are today.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    so this is weird, guys ... for the first time in over two decades, i'm just like ... i'll get to it when i get to it. i'm in no hurry to hear this, or track a download link, or even go straight for it once i get the official email.

apathy sucks and it's not in my dna, but yet here i am, major shrug in tow.

wtf.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Finally found a good quality leak. Although, when my real download becomes available, I will be downloading that one and deleting the leak.

Also, the leaked versions that I was listening to cut off the end of Shit Mirror, and HOLY SHIT that ending! Loving this album.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    so this is weird, guys ... for the first time in over two decades, i'm just like ... i'll get to it when i get to it. i'm in no hurry to hear this, or track a download link, or even go straight for it once i get the official email.

apathy sucks and it's not in my dna, but yet here i am, major shrug in tow.

wtf.
    Feeling the same way. My weiner didn’t even jump when the album was announced. It probably didn’t help that they’re only playing major markets when the tour was announced too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Feeling the same way. My weiner didn’t even jump when the album was announced. It probably didn’t help that they’re only playing major markets when the tour was announced too.
    Yeah but you only post here to troll, so.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    Yeah but you only post here to troll, so.
    Do I? Are you sure? I’m not sure.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    So far I haven't been able to stop listening. It may only be one day removed so far, but this may be my favorite album of his since With Teeth.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 06-19-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    So far I haven't been able to stop listening. It may only be one day removed so far, but this may be my favorite album of his since With Teeth.
    Since YZ for me. It doesn’t eclipse YZ because that’s a 5/5 for me.