Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Jurassic Park

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Oh wow... not a good sign at all. Makes me kind of sad. So Stan Winston studios got the shaft on this one?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    No, they're working on the new film; the studio's called Legacy now. Most of JP's principal effects guys were on board too last time I checked, including Phil Tippett (puppeteer, responsible for the brilliantly lifelike animations in JP). But you can tell from the trailer that there will be a lot of CGI.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New trailer with A LOT more dino action...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There's a damn good reason why Jurassic World is one of my three most anticipated movies this year. (The other two being Avengers: Age of Ultron and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.) That new trailer just sent my hype through the roof.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Not forgetting SPECTRE, and Fast & Furious 7's already broken records for its respective series. It's a slightly ridiculous year for top-drawer franchises.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    The new trailer is totally over the top and maybe a tad too much. Then again this looks really great and promises some fantastic dino-action. I like the fact that the rapotrs are always something special in these movies. My only hope is that the T-Rex gets his fame back after JP3 and won't stand in the shadows of the Indominus Rex.

I fear that the slightly romantic and cheesy aspect of the first movie is totally gone and replaced by action extravaganza, either way this is the perfect summer blockbuster.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So I'm guessing from the trailer (Spoiler/Guess below)...
    I'm guessing the Indominus Rex controls the carnivore dinosaurs to do its bidding and attack.
    Looks like they use the raptors to try and hunt it down, but they turn on the humans when they meet the Indominus Rex.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    So I'm guessing from the trailer (Spoiler/Guess below)...
    I'm guessing the Indominus Rex controls the carnivore dinosaurs to do its bidding and attack.
    Looks like they use the raptors to try and hunt it down, but they turn on the humans when they meet the Indominus Rex.
    Spoiler: That could very well be although I hope it doesn't have any mind-bending abilities due to it's hybrid heritage. But it definitely looks like that from the trailer that it at least makes the other dinosaurs somewhat alert to their captive situation. People suspect a huge stand-off with the T-Rex at the end with both titans dying. We will see...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Spoiler, in as much as its replies to the above:

It's not mind control, the trailer sets it up with the first line. The raptors are responsive, according to Emmet, if you understand them and empathise with their base instincts. The I Rex is hunting for sport, which the raptors understand and want in on as well. Looks to me like the Raptors and I Rex realise they are on the same side. The I Rex is intelligent enough to communicate, and the Raptors are intelligent enough to understand.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    My god, this movie looks awful. That shot of the two younger kids looks like something ripped straight from the first movie, and it well.. and the CGI just looks really bad. The first movie was almost considered horror in some aspects, and the dinos actually looked somewhat real. The new trailer just left a longer bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure when I eventually see it, there will be some aspects I will like about it... but for now it seems doomed for my taste.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfAtom View Post
    Spoiler, in as much as its replies to the above:

It's not mind control, the trailer sets it up with the first line. The raptors are responsive, according to Emmet, if you understand them and empathise with their base instincts. The I Rex is hunting for sport, which the raptors understand and want in on as well. Looks to me like the Raptors and I Rex realise they are on the same side. The I Rex is intelligent enough to communicate, and the Raptors are intelligent enough to understand.
    well, that would explain the "they are communicating" line. It may be the raptors after chasing for the I-Rex they start to bond with it. We will see, only a couple of weeks to go.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    another shot i saw from the trailer were the raptors chasing them in some sort of ambulance or truck. looks like they pull someone into the back as the raptor tries to get in and grab them as they're driving. it made me think of the part in The Lost World book after they pull Arby out of the raptor nest and get chased with the raptors jumping all over the jeep. they run out of gas just as the jeep is going uphill and almost stop dead until they get over and start heading downhill and able to cruise away from the raptors. i wonder if the new dino will be able to camouflage itself like the Carnotaurus in the second book. curious if they'll bum any unused elements from the books. the T-rex on the jungle river would have been amazing to see. i think they wanted to film it for the original movie, but the technology at the time made them not go for it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

this one really got me. I hope we get this scene maybe as an opening scene and I generally hope the movie is way more darker than the trailer makes it out to be. I hope instead of all the action in the trailerswe get more suspenseful moments either way.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    got my tickets for thursday

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    My mom happens to work for Hilton and they are doing a private advance screening tonight for Hilton employees at our biggest theater that won the drawing and she won.

So I will be seeing it tonight!!!! So fucking excited!!!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    will be seing it on friday. 3d though, but let's see if it adds anything to the fun. can't wait to finally see the t-rex again on screen.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    can't wait to finally see the t-rex again on screen.
    Spoiler: You know it's the same T-Rex who was in Jurrasic Park, right? The lawyer eating one? She's still alive and I'm hoping she's still going to kick ass.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Checking it out tomorrow. This has been the only summer movie I've been excited for honestly.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    just saw it in IMAX 3d and it was a great movie. doesn't really come close to the original but it was a lot of fun to watch as an action movie. seeing the park fully realized was great too.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Definitely one of the best things was seeing the park in action. The last 45 minutes is a series of escalating movies with one big payoff after another. That said the dialogue is horribly stupid.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Fantastic movie. Will be seeing it again!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Man, it really exceeded my expectations. You know you had fun at a movie when you can't stop thinking about it and you want to experience it again as soon as possible. This really feels like the franchise's genuine sequel and I can see the flaws that people have with it, but I actually enjoyed myself in a way I hadn't with a summer movie in the longest time.

Which is a joy cause I think I've honestly been disappointed in some form or fashion with every summer movie I had been looking forward to for the last five years, excluding Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Did you see Fury Road? How does this movie campare?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Haven't seen Fury Road yet and to be honest, I wasn't hyped for that film at all when it was announced or after the trailers. Yeah I get that it's a critical darling right now and I'm sure I'll enjoy it...but the Mad Max franchise wasn't something I was as passionate about. So I'll have to get back to ya on that one.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Both very fun action spectacles, both not particularly clever (JW arguably to a greater degree), both pretty damn well made with a strong aesthetic (Mad Max arguably more so, but personally the post-apocalyptic look doesn't appeal, chained flamethrowing guitarist aside).

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I think Mad Max is by far the better movie. It's a hell of a lot more intelligent, and the craftsmanship behind it is far more interesting.

Jurassic world is constantly stupid, and its plot is driven entirely by idiocy. Every catalyzing moment is somebody doing something stupid. The children are unbearable. They are the emotional antethesis to dinosaurs.

That said, some of the concepts in the movie are totally awesome, for instance, seeing the park fully realized... And something else kind of spoilerish, lets call it the natural progression of the series obsession with how smart velociraptors are, and when it finally decides to focus on dinosaurs, and abandon its focus on super hollow human characters, it gives us 45 minutes of pure dinisaur excitement.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Ugh. I am not doing well this summer. I think I was one of the only people on the planet who didn't love Mad Max, and I came in here expecting to see people tear JW to shreds but seems as most people liked that, too.

So yeah, I clearly don't know what's going on any more. And this is coming from someone who generally gives blockbusters a pass for being what they are. I actually don't even mind Michael Bay so it's not as though I'm a popcorn snob by any means.

But I'm sorry this was simply Megalodon vs Godzilla with Dinosaurs, not a scientific exploration into the world of palaeontology and archaeology that I wanted or that it easily could have been. It had some cool elements sure I'll give it that, but the sum definitely did not equal the parts for me. It was a horror movie that wasn't scary, and it was a science fiction movie that wasn't intelligent. Add in mostly bad acting, and a lame duck story? As someone who really wanted to love this film I can only justifying polishing a turd so much. This film did absolutely nothing to advance the JP mythology I had come to know and left me feeling hollow and disappointed. I expected at the least, a slightly more cerebral and well thought out film from Mr. Trevorrow.

It's a shame. Well at least it's making money. Maybe the sequel will be handled better.