Thread: Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Just after a few listens and something about the vocal-performance and the lyrics on the album really annoy me. It sounds a bit too clean and posed for my taste, I guess. The fact, that the lyrics aren't exactly above generic level, doesn't help either. It's just... all the conceptual stuff, the videos, the ridiculous Spelling_, the way how serious they appear to treat their music (and themselves), all this talk about marketing strategies and holding back on releasing the thing for almost a year, ... it all adds to making the whole thing seem incredibly bloated to me.

I understand that it's always been this way with NIN, too. And I'm beginning to wonder if I'd feel the same about TF or TDS, would I hear 'em for the first time now. I really liked The Slip because it felt like Trent had something to say... about the business and his role/place in it... there was a voice there and it seemed like he actually had fun making it, while not tinkering on details for months or years... the record - while not perfect - felt spontaneous and fun. And that's exactly what I feel is missing on the HTDA stuff. Concept and lyrics just come across as corny as can be. I can't make out any voice of importance here.. nor any interesting takes on the topic... or simply fun lyrics. It just feels like a concept made up in hour long sessions by 4 friends after just having seen The Road in theatres.
    WO is playing it safe by adding dark lyrics (See: NIN) and dystopian topics (see: NIN) to noisy beats (see: NIN). When Trent said he wanted to challenge himself musically and artistically, I certainly didn't expect him to challenge himself by collaborating with friends/family or interchanging the personal of the live band, while releasing awfully similar music for 4 years and playing HLAH on festivals... again. Especially after his publicist put in all the work in the "Wave Goodbye" and "It doesn't feel like me anymore" arena.

That being said... I can totally see, why people are digging/loving the album. The band caters to the choir here and if you can't get enough of top notch dark beats with cheesy lyrics NIN style, this is for you and you should buy and listen the hell out of it...
    Agreed.
    Trent needs new demons to haunt him.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroisGreg View Post
    Agreed.
    Trent needs new demons to haunt him.
    The facepalm button just isn't strong enough

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Anyone care to PM me the 2 vinyl bonus tracks in mp3?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    The facepalm button just isn't strong enough
    Actually he really did come back haunted....(ba dum tshhhhhhh)