Page 25 of 84 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Now it all makes sense. Can't believe it...

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I'm all set for Bowie video marathon starting next week. God bless torrents.
    Well, there goes my plan.
    I simply won't be able to just enjoy stuff for a while. I'll probably settle for Blackstar instead (still haven't listened to any of the songs from it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This really hurts. I'd just seen the Lazarus video before going on vacation and came back to this news. I'm really heartsick right now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Talk about tough news.

Everyone else has said it. Impossibly sad. But what a parting gift.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Random Bowie thought.
    Could also be random NIN thought.

Trent Reznor is older now than David Bowie was when they shot the I'm Afraid Of Ameeicans video.

Crazy at the thought that the man that brought us all together (good or bad) has a real timer on his life. David Fucking Bowie was supposed to be our immortal spaceman,he was supposed to live forever. If David Bowie can die that means Trent Reznor will too and I can't fucking take that.

Jesus Christ.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This has gutted me...I've almost cried a dozen times this morning.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    what a high note to go out on, but i have been trying all morning not to cry. i think that most people's lives have been touched by bowie (whether or not they know it) at some point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Never been a huge Bowie fan (don't get me wrong, I love his music, but never really delved deep into his albums, though Ziggy Stardust is one of the most magical records I've heard in my life), but I've been blasting Blackstar all day... What a spooky, haunting yet wonderful album. Also listened to the Berlin trilogy a few times today, great too.

Random memory: I can hardly remember anything from my childhood, but watching Labyrinth for the first time and being amazed and somewhat confused by the eerie stylish magician/evil prince that was Bowie is something I remember quite well. The whole movie is great, too.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    How harrowing would it have been to be Bowie's collaborators on Blackstar knowing it was a eulogy? I'm assuming they knew

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    i stopped by the mural in Brixton South London where he born / grew up.
    Many many people there..beautiful.
    Last edited by Exocet; 01-11-2016 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I became a Bowie fan because of Trent (as many of us i assume), i remember seeing Reznor on interviews praising Bowie's work and thinking "wow, i gota check out this guy's music".
    Then the NIN/Bowie tour happened and i discovered Bowie's music and knew at that moment that he won't be leaving my life ever....

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    My first Bowie tracks were I'm Afraid of Americans NIN remix V.1 (downloaded from Kazaa as "NIN & David Bowie" track eons ago), The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell from Stigmata and I'm Deranged from Lost Highway. The sum of those three persuaded me to check him in more detail. I was not disappointed. Today I love his entire body of work (although some material took its time to grow on me).

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Numb at work.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Mine was Fame when they used it in Next Friday, back when it first came out and then my life was changed forever. Rest in peace to one of the greatest minds of all time.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    what a high note to go out on, but i have been trying all morning not to cry. i think that most people's lives have been touched by bowie (whether or not they know it) at some point.
    I was in shock, and trying to think of what to play. For some reason, "New Career in a New Town" seemed appropriate, so I put it on and danced to it with my son, and the tears came -- and I just let 'em. Now I'm sitting at work listening to "Station to Station" and there's more, and fuck it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    i stopped by the mural in Brixton South London where he born / grew up.
    Many many people there..beautiful.
    Will be popping down after work.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Brian Eno says they had been considering going back to Outside and taking it somewhere new before he died.

http://m.pitchfork.com/news/62839-br...ogether-again/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Still, I don't own any album of him (this will change now after years of defer until later)
    but was always very aware of Bowie as an exceptional artist. I'm speechlees... never thought that his departure would touch me so deeply!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    For what it's worth, Blackstar producer confirmed just this morning that the album indeed was a parting gift of sorts.

Tony Visconti - Facebook
    He always did what he wanted to do. And he wanted to do it his way and he wanted to do it the best way. His death was no different from his life - a work of Art. He made Blackstar for us, his parting gift. I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it. He was an extraordinary man, full of love and life. He will always be with us. For now, it is appropriate to cry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZootZap View Post
    Still, I don't own any album of him (this will change now after years of defer until later)
    but was always very aware of Bowie as an exceptional artist. I'm speechlees... never thought that his departure would touch me so deeply!
    i am going through the same thing actually. did not know he was battling cancer but yeah incredibly sad day

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    blackstar on repeat
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 01-11-2016 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Earthling is one my favorite albums ever... it's usually low of folks' lists. But I love that album.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Go to track two on Blackstar and listen to him sing "Man, she punched me like a dude."

It's impossible to not think that's him, planning in advance to give you a nudge in the ribs and make you chuckle despite it all.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Go to track two on Blackstar and listen to him sing "Man, she punched me like a dude."

It's impossible to not think that's him, planning in advance to give you a nudge in the ribs and make you chuckle despite it all.
    Totally. It gives everything a completely new viewpoint. Lazarus' first line "Look up here, I'm in heaven." The hospital bed....damn, it's all so fucking powerful​.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Earthling is one my favorite albums ever... it's usually low of folks' lists. But I love that album.
    it is definitely unfairly maligned

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    "Earthling" is probably in my Top 10 along with "Diamond Dogs", "Outside", "The Next Day" and "Low".

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Can't believe he's gone.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Wow. Just ... wow.