Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2019

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheddamash View Post
    $75 is pretty steep for 3LPs. This better be some badass packaging. Kraw is invloved so that's a good sign... but still.
    I wouldn't count on it, not after Deviations 1 was $80 and had very minimal, flimsy packaging.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Mike Garson made the piano intro (video)
    https://twitter.com/mikegarson/statu...89785302069248

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I wouldn't count on it, not after Deviations 1 was $80 and had very minimal, flimsy packaging.
    Yeah, that was a travesty, but I doubt that’s the case here. The DEs were expansive remember. It’s just that, as a vinyl collector, my initial reaction to a 3LP set is $30-40. I’m really hoping that they chose to trickle out 3 individual, timed releases is because they’re packing each one with goodies (some of which might have contained spoilers to the show, hence only 1 track name being revealed so far). This way, we’re obviously getting 3 different outer sleeves, so there’s plenty of room for Kraw goodness. And the description definitely implies lots of work went into them and they’re sort of companion pieces to the show. Either way, it’s T&A w/ Kraw on a project with lots of subject matter. I think we’ll be fine here. I’m excited.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Yeah, that was a travesty, but I doubt that’s the case here. The DEs were expansive remember. It’s just that, as a vinyl collector, my initial reaction to a 3LP set is $30-40. I’m really hoping that they chose to trickle out 3 individual, timed releases is because they’re packing each one with goodies (some of which might have contained spoilers to the show, hence only 1 track name being revealed so far). This way, we’re obviously getting 3 different outer sleeves, so there’s plenty of room for Kraw goodness. And the description definitely implies lots of work went into them and they’re sort of companion pieces to the show. Either way, it’s T&A w/ Kraw on a project with lots of subject matter. I think we’ll be fine here. I’m excited.
    Agreed. Kraw worked on the NTAE physical components. I am not worried.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I wonder if there's any DC involvement, say from artists or whomever.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Visiting New Orleans this week, and of course had to seek out Nothing Studios. Here she is, circa 2019. It's a shame to see all the original stone completely torn off as well as the original gated doorway gone. But still, it felt really cool standing there knowing how many of my favorite records were made in there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    cool photo! I remember back in 96, when I was on Spring Break, seeing the studio and then actually meeting Ginger Fish in a bar in the French quarter that week. Good times.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Desus & Mero did a rundown of the RRHOF nominees last week on Showtime. HLAH played and they made some joke of how their music is like something two homeless people would fuck to. They also said Motörhead sounded like music to kill your parents to.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...n-road-903889/

Trent talking about "Old Town Road".

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    This isn't quite NIN Spotting. I was checking out KANGA's work after seeing her live with Gary Numan. Her mix that night was muddy but some of the beats were deliciously industrial so I thought I'd delve deeper.

Good lord if this isn't derivative of NIN. 'Something Dangerous' essentially lifts the main riff for Somewhat Damaged. 'Viciousness' is in many ways a rip-off of Discipline. The instrumentals behind the chorus of 'Vital Signs' is the chorus to Wish. In many cases, it feels like she's just singing her own lyrics karaoke-style over NIN songs and switching out the backing tracks. I almost feel embarrassed for her, but this is so blatant. I'm just glad I didn't pick up her CD that night.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...n-road-903889/

Trent talking about "Old Town Road".
    I'm really glad there's no drama here. This could have been a fuckng disaster.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I'm really glad there's no drama here. This could have been a fuckng disaster.
    I'm sure Trent has used a sample or two without getting clearance first...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    this was uploaded a few days ago...I'm sure many here have seen this but I haven't. EPK for PHM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    this was uploaded a few days ago...I'm sure many here have seen this but I haven't. EPK for PHM.
    "This is Trent Reznor. A man with a flair for wearing jewelry. In his nose."

Classic.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    So Trent was one of the featured speakers and sat on a panel yesterday at an event at USC in LA titled "2019 Institute On Entertainment Law & Business":

https://gould.usc.edu/why/academics/cle/entertainment/

https://weblaw.usc.edu/why/academics...LBbrochure.pdf

My friend is dating an entertainment lawyer in LA and he had to go to this. Trent's one hour session was described as...

"Recording artist, producer and composer, Trent Reznor,and his team of core professionals will explore the challenges and continuing evolution of their roles within a changing music business, including the merging of music with other media, as well as where it looks to be headed. The panel will discuss the typical demands and expectations made by musical artists of each team member separately and collectively (including when the lawyer needs to drive certain discussions and when the lawyer needs to get out of the way) and the team’s role in maximizing the musical artist’s business opportunities, while at the same time considering the risks to reputation and integrity that can arise in touring, motion picture and television scoring, music licensing for advertising purposes and related activities. The discussion will also touch on issues relating to the enforcement of rights while remaining mindful of a musical artist’s reputation."

He sat on the panel with various people on his team and that work with him behind the scenes: Marc P. GeigerGlobal Head of Music WME...Jeannette Perez President, Global Synch &Brand Partnership Kobalt Music & John Silva President and CEO Silva Artist Management.

He snapped this quick photo during the panel:

Hoping this gets uploaded by the school or my friend's bf can perhaps download it directly eventually since he was a guest of the event.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    This isn't quite NIN Spotting. I was checking out KANGA's work after seeing her live with Gary Numan. Her mix that night was muddy but some of the beats were deliciously industrial so I thought I'd delve deeper.

Good lord if this isn't derivative of NIN. 'Something Dangerous' essentially lifts the main riff for Somewhat Damaged. 'Viciousness' is in many ways a rip-off of Discipline. The instrumentals behind the chorus of 'Vital Signs' is the chorus to Wish. In many cases, it feels like she's just singing her own lyrics karaoke-style over NIN songs and switching out the backing tracks. I almost feel embarrassed for her, but this is so blatant. I'm just glad I didn't pick up her CD that night.
    Wow! Yep, she’s straight up lifting NIN tracks. When she’s not she’s suuuper generic too. Sounds like she took the class Industrial Music 101 and dropped out after 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I'm surprised that they were surprised by The Fragile edging out TDS. When you talk to NIN fans it's usually one of those two listed as their favorite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    So Trent was one of the featured speakers and sat on a panel yesterday at an event at USC in LA titled "2019 Institute On Entertainment Law & Business":

https://gould.usc.edu/why/academics/cle/entertainment/

https://weblaw.usc.edu/why/academics...LBbrochure.pdf

My friend is dating an entertainment lawyer in LA and he had to go to this. Trent's one hour session was described as...

"Recording artist, producer and composer, Trent Reznor,and his team of core professionals will explore the challenges and continuing evolution of their roles within a changing music business, including the merging of music with other media, as well as where it looks to be headed. The panel will discuss the typical demands and expectations made by musical artists of each team member separately and collectively (including when the lawyer needs to drive certain discussions and when the lawyer needs to get out of the way) and the team’s role in maximizing the musical artist’s business opportunities, while at the same time considering the risks to reputation and integrity that can arise in touring, motion picture and television scoring, music licensing for advertising purposes and related activities. The discussion will also touch on issues relating to the enforcement of rights while remaining mindful of a musical artist’s reputation."

He sat on the panel with various people on his team and that work with him behind the scenes: Marc P. GeigerGlobal Head of Music WME...Jeannette Perez President, Global Synch &Brand Partnership Kobalt Music & John Silva President and CEO Silva Artist Management.

He snapped this quick photo during the panel:

Hoping this gets uploaded by the school or my friend's bf can perhaps download it directly eventually since he was a guest of the event.

That sounds absolutely incredible. I am really hoping that recording becomes public at some near point.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    mmmh mmmmh mmmmmh mmmh mmmhhhh mhhhhh
    Last edited by ninjaw; 10-28-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: mmmh mmmmh mmmmmh mmmh mmmhhhh mhhhhh

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    ...and TF definitively never been #1 that's just ppl getting old
    the fragile has been my #1 album since i became a NIN fan so you're entitled to your opinion but you can't say it's "never been #1" for everyone

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    mmmh mmmmh mmmmmh mmmh mmmhhhh mhhhhh
    Last edited by ninjaw; 10-28-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: mmmh mmmmh mmmmmh mmmh mmmhhhh mhhhhh

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    This opinion will never end... so that mean I'm just older than you, no big deal.
    why do you have to be a dick to me every time we have an interaction? i'm 32. i don't shit on the people on this board who are younger than me.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the fragile has been my #1 album since i became a NIN fan so you're entitled to your opinion but you can't say it's "never been #1" for everyone
    I got into NIN around 95-96 and TF has been my #1 since release...I'll co-sign this.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Wow! Yep, she’s straight up lifting NIN tracks. When she’s not she’s suuuper generic too. Sounds like she took the class Industrial Music 101 and dropped out after 2 weeks.
    Wow that's really, really blatant. I'm a little surprised Gary would have something that transparent in close proximity to him, it's not like he needs a light shining on how much (some of) his recent material is liberally inspired by NIN himself.

"Dissonance" has a strong Ladytron vibe.
    Last edited by jmtd; 10-28-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Wow that's really, really blatant. I'm a little surprised Gary would have something that transparent in close proximity to him, it's not like he needs a light shining on how much (some of) his recent material is liberally inspired by NIN himself.

"Dissonance" has a strong Ladytron vibe.
    Kanga also opened for The Black Queen on a tour so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ...and TF definitively never been #1 that's just ppl getting old
    I’ve been a fan since about 1996 and have very clear memories of the negativity around TF when it came out but plenty of fans loved it and considered it their favorite, including myself.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    why do you have to be a dick to me every time we have an interaction? i'm 32. i don't shit on the people on this board who are younger than me.
    Since you mention it I will erase all of this. Actually I simply give all the time the same opinion, but that was the last time, don't worry.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Slightly off topic but i'm one of those people that doesn't have a definitive NIN #1, it generally changes depending on my mood, so anyone with the Fragile as their #1 are fine by me (FYI my current #1 as of writing is ADD VIOLENCE)

We should really get back on topic though...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Kanga also opened for The Black Queen on a tour so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with The Black Queen so I don't know what's the significance of this, and whether it supports or not the whole Numan thing. (Are they good? Should I check em out? Thanks!)