Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Joy Division/New Order

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Hooky is doing Low-Life and Brotherhood in their entirety next year.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Joy Division/New Order

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hooky is doing Low-Life and Brotherhood in their entirety next year.
    Yeah. I wonder what those shows will be like. I'm not a fan of either album in their entirety and order. I do love "love vigilantes" though. Perhaps he'll do the full "elegia"?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Yeah. I wonder what those shows will be like. I'm not a fan of either album in their entirety and order. I do love "love vigilantes" though. Perhaps he'll do the full "elegia"?
    this song is a firm tie for my favorite new order song (alongside 'everything's gone green')

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Are any of the new order reissues essential? Leaving aside the issue of the botched issuing (and I still don't know whether any given stock in shops is going to be the good or the bad ones). I keep looking and thinking, hmm half of that is covered by Substance; hmm I guess there's the long mix of Confusion, hm perhaps I don't have that particular mix of Temptation, not sure; are those extra 3 seconds on Blue Monday relevant? Most of the latter ones are all remixes, are any essential? I've heard people say the Shep Pettibone ones are. I forget whether "Evil Dust" is worth bothering about. Thanks Ryan for helping to clarify the Run2 issue (imho the extended mix is forgettable). Are the CD-1s appreciably better than the earlier transfers? The one I'd be most inclined to bother with, Movement, never shows up in my shops. PC&L is available cheapish in my local HMV, hence asking. (Although the DM deluxe editions are also in and far better value imho)

Edit: oh the JD reissues are cheap atm too, but I've never even given them a second thought. I don't listen to the live JD recordings I do have (e.g. H&S), are the ones picked out for the reissues any better?

Thanks lazyweb!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    it's hard to keep track of all of the botches (though the 2009 reissues sound "fine"), but the long and the short of it is: no. they're not essential. the only bonus disc that's worth it is movement, as it collects much of their strongest work and alternate versions of essential tracks. the shep pettibone remixes ARE good, but not worth the price of the double cd package. otherwise, there's only one or two worthwhile b-sides, as new order saved most of their material for albums or the occasional one-off single. most of the mixes on the bonus discs are different than the versions on substance, if that means anything to you- though i feel like most of the substance versions are superior.

that said, the technique bonus does have "don't do it," which is an underrated gem.

i NEVER listen to live bonus tracks or albums, joy division especially (generally terrible sounding recordings). as for the sound quality on the studio tracks, i generally default to heart and soul for everything i need.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thanks that's very helpful.

as luck would have it, all the no reissues (except technique) and *all* DM deluxe editions sold out over the weekend. Too slow!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    i NEVER listen to live bonus tracks or albums, joy division especially (generally terrible sounding recordings). as for the sound quality on the studio tracks, i generally default to heart and soul for everything i need.
    I'm glad you mentioned "Heart and Soul"!, i understand that you avoid the live tracks because of the sound quality, yet "Heart and Soul" includes a damn great concert (Disc 4, tracks 1-10, live at The Factory on Manchester, according to wikipedia).
    I really like this concert, for me it's a proof that Joy Division was a great live band too! (many people diss them and mention that they were only "studio magic"), to me this album proves that they were raw, energetic and pure feeling, Joy Division is terribly underrated as a live act...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I've never understood why Joy Division bootlegs always sound so shitty. For example I'm listening to Depeche Mode live from 1982 ("Nothing To Fear" in Hammersmith) and it sounds brilliant. Why are pretty much almost all JD recordings so crappy sounding?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I've never understood why Joy Division bootlegs always sound so shitty. For example I'm listening to Depeche Mode live from 1982 ("Nothing To Fear" in Hammersmith) and it sounds brilliant. Why are pretty much almost all JD recordings so crappy sounding?
    it's not too much of a mystery to me. joy division never had the audience or popularity depeche mode did, nor the budget to record gigs properly in the sweatboxes they usually played. they were a cult band at best, and didn't really become ubiquitous until the mid 90s, and even then, it was a slow burn.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    it's not too much of a mystery to me. joy division never had the audience or popularity depeche mode did, nor the budget to record gigs properly in the sweatboxes they usually played. they were a cult band at best, and didn't really become ubiquitous until the mid 90s, and even then, it was a slow burn.
    In my opinion: It was during the 2000's when you can say they became somewhat "mainstream" with "24 hour party people" and "Control" movies, but during the 90's they were mostly referenced as an "influence" and that's why the revival began...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah that's what i meant. the crow/permanent brought them to a more alternative audience which slowly grew as an influential band (akin to the velvet underground), and then by the 2000s, they were chic. new order was always the more commercially successful band at the time.

skip ahead to present day:

Last edited by frankie teardrop; 02-14-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Haha awesome tee.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    New song debuted lived called "Singularity" -

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Thoughts on the new song? I love it!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    New song debuted lived called "Singularity" -

I dig this a lot.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Me too! Can't wait for the new album.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    So John Barnes rapped the 'World in Motion' rap, 24 years later, on request of a fan. Does this put to bed the rumours that he didn't rap the original? I dunno. (but jesus.)

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...in-motion-rap/

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    haha that's awesome!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I started off siding with NO but lean towards Hooky these days, because (unless he's severely misrepresenting things) he wants to play the old stuff and deep cuts, whereas Barney just wants to do best of sets.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I love Joy Division and New Order are awesome too, but this whole "New Order without Hooky/Hooky plays the hits solo" debacle is literally shitting on NO's legacy, to the point where I won't bother with either anymore. Lost Sirens was it for me.
    I totally agree here. it just don't feel right without him there. Technique is one of my all time favorite records, I would love to see Hooky doing that one all the way through.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Found these shows and they sound brilliant

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I was in Manchester last weekend and completely failed to find any Joy Division oven gloves.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Hmm. I'm trying to find a bootleg of the Hooky show in Newcastle, UK on 2013-11-14. I keep hitting a site with many names, one of which is musiczilla, that claims to have a boot - in FLAC - and a transcode in 128k MP3 (wtf?) - but it requires you to sign up to something (gay dating or other options) in order to download. However the sign-up process is broken.

I've tried what I think are the other obvious candidates for places to find such a recording, like places that rhyme with "crime", but haven't come up with anything. Can anyone suggest (PM perhaps) where are good places to look?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.nme.com/news/new-order/78290

New Order unveil new song 'Plastic' live in Chicago

The band debuted their second new song of the year at the Aragon Ballroom

• Tweet80

• Email0
      • Share123

New Order played a brand new song called 'Plastic' live in Chicago last night (July 1).

The band revealed the track during their gig at the Aragon Ballroom, reports Consequence of Sound, who quoted the band's frontman Bernard Sumner as saying: "We have to write some new songs to keep this a viable band." Click above to watch fan-shot footage of the song's performance.

The band previously performed a new song during their Lollapalooza Chile set in south America back in March. That track, 'Singularity', which was formerly known as 'Drop the Guitar', was their first new song in nine years.

New Order's last studio album 'Waiting For The Sirens Call' was released in 2005, when bass player Peter Hook was still a member of the group. His relationship with the other members has subsequently soured and earlier this year he branded Bernard Sumner "twatto" for touring the band's greatest hits around the festival circuit.

New Order reunited in 2011 after going on a break in 2007. In 2013 the band released a rarities album titled 'Lost Sirens'.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/new-order/78...yct87JhiV24.99

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Great news everyone!
    http://www.neworderonline.com/News/N...px?NewsID=1480
    New Order have signed to the legendary independent label Mute, which will release their 10th studio album worldwide. “We couldn’t imagine a better place to be than working with Daniel Miller and his team,” the band said of their new home. “Mute has a superb roster of artists and a history that complements our own. In many ways, joining the label feels like we are coming home.” (The band’s Bernard Sumner had recently suggested the band might be working with DFA Records.)

Saying the move to their new label was a return to their “independent roots”, the group leave behind Warner Music, which released their last album, 2013’s Lost Sirens. New Order were previously part of London Records’ roster following their most famous label alliance, with Factory Records. That label was said to have faced bankruptcy partly due to the band’s hefty production costs: Blue Monday became the bestselling 12-inch single in the UK after its release, but its high production costs meant Factory lost money on every copy sold of the original die-cast cut sleeve. New Order now join Mute’s diverse list of artists, which includes Goldfrapp, Liars, Swans, Erasure, Can, Grindermand and Nick Cave and the Badseeds.

“I feel privileged to be working with artists with such a long, creative and successful history,” Mute founder Daniel Miller explained. “When the possibility of us working together first came up, I was invited to hear some of the new material and immediately had no doubts whatsoever that Mute would be the right home for New Order.”

Formed in 1980 following the demise of Joy Division, New Order released their first album, Movement, through Factory in 1981. Now consisting of Bernard Sumner, Gillian Gilbert, Stephen Morris, Phil Cunningham and Tom Chapman, the band are currently plotting their new album – their first without their original bassist, Peter Hook. “We’ve written eight songs already, so we just need another two,” Sumner said in a recent interview. “Then we’ve got to record everything.”
    Also I was wondering if this video is from "In Sessions" Cd that can only be seen on a computer.

and what is the best live video performance of 5 8 6?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    There's a new book with Ian's hand-written lyrics etc, I already have it and it looks really nice - "So This is Permanence".

I also already finished Sumner's "Chapter and Verse", satisfied too. Interesting to compare that hypnosis of Ian by Bernard and some of Ian's "war" lyrics... or that Bernard was working with something like sampler already in 1979, and much more.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Flicked through the lyrics book today, nice binding, felt the last third or so of the book was filler (especially the record labels). Haven't read Sumner yet. How does it compare to Hook?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Diddly.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Going to see Hook tonight if it's not a rain out. Pretty damn excited, the last tour he did of Movement and Power, Corruption and Lies was fantastic.