Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: How to destroy angels: live 2013

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

How to destroy angels: live 2013

I hate keep it together so yes....

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I wonder if they'll change setlist at all for this show, or if the set is designed in one piece.

The lack of IYLSE? seems to ringing amongst lots of fans

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    It's funny...I didn't even think about IYLSE until the day before the first show - and it wasn't fueled by seeing it here; it was just a random thought. And in the little conversation going on inside me head, I thought "I bet they won't be playing that at the upcoming shows." I didn't really have a reason why. Maybe because it's not on an HTDA album, or maybe because it just doesn't feel like it would fit in well with the setlist anywhere. But my gut reaction was that we wouldn't hear it.

I'd certainly be interested in being wrong and hearing it eventually, but honestly, I could live without a live version.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Seems like copyright fees would keep them from performing IYLSE.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    From who though? Bryan Ferry liked it enough to send the band some gifts, Fincher is BFFs with everyone and the film was distributed by the same company that HTDA is signed to, who's going to step in and fine a band for playing it live?

(Which I thought didn't even happen anymore, only for released media)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    What on earth can prevent any band from performing any cover? I'm not sure about the video stream, but just playing live should be fine, I'm sure.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Anyone else thinks Keep It Together as the 2nd song on the setlist is kind of a buzz kill?
    People shouting out Terrible Lie

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Seems like copyright fees would keep them from performing IYLSE.
    Actually, any fees related to public performance of someone else's music are paid by the venue via ASCAP, not the band. Bands pay a cut on cover songs when they sell recordings, not when they do live performances. It all gets even weirder when you stage a theatrical performance or a dance centered around performed music, but we're already too far down the rabbit hole, and I'd like to turn back.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Actually, any fees related to public performance of someone else's music are payed by the venue via ASCAP, not the band. Bands pay a cut on cover songs when they sell recordings, not when they do live performances. It all gets even weirder when you stage a theatrical performance or a dance centered around performed music, but we're already too far down the rabbit hole, and I'd like to turn back.
    I was about to reply with this, but then realized that i didnt give a shit.

Once again, the internet thanks you for "giving a shit"

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    What on earth can prevent any band from performing any cover? I'm not sure about the video stream, but just playing live should be fine, I'm sure.
    i checked into this a LONG time ago, and unless the laws have changed, you are absolutely right. You can play anything you want.
    Well, it's been a long time, everyone.
    I thought i would come see how you guys were liking how to destroy angels. (i am/was Eleven11)
    After friday night, HTDA became, for me, cool little side project to force of fucking nature.
    I could not BELIEVE how utterly amazing their live show was, and i DAMN sure didn't expect trent to bring the lights from the other dimension again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    in my opinion the only buzz kill of the set is ice age. they should replace it for too late all gone

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ensanchecedor View Post
    in my opinion the only buzz kill of the set is ice age. they should replace it for too late all gone
    Or at least drum it up a little bit...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Or at least drum it up a little bit...
    it's kind of weird...i really love that song, but i think it does not work live and in comparison to the rest of the songs being played...i don't know whether sounds too warm or too insipid. I think too late all gone would fill that spot in the set much better

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    maybe i'm just a fanboy but i thought the coachella set was utterly perfect, ice age included. i think it fits the whole vibe (the vibe i recieve anyway) lyrically. But i could see a bit of a climactic up-drum somewhere near the and, a la the latter-day SICNH. I'm just still giddy as a fucking school-girl (and i'm a 33 year old man, and a fairly dour one at that) that HTDA is finally really happening!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Instruments as played by How to destroy angels_:
    Alessandro Cortini: Bass Guitar, Madrona Labs Soundplane Model A, Teenage Engineering OP-1, Elektron Octatrack, Nagra Tape Looper, Vocals
    Atticus Ross: Livid CNTRL:R White Edition MIDI Controller, Vocals
    Mariqueen Reznor: KORG KAOSS Pad, Tambourine, Lead Vocals
    Trent Reznor: Epiphone Les Paul Custom Guitar, Nord Electro Keyboard, ??? Electronic Drum Kit, Tambourine, Vocals
    Rob Sheridan: Livid CNTRL:R Black Edition MIDI Controller, IPad Mini running Lemur, Vocals
    ???: Ground Control Pedal Board
    The band are all using Shure P10R wireless In-Ear monitors per this Instagram photo by Alessandro.

Evidence:

This
    is Alessandro's table setup for the tour. A Madrona Labs Soundplane Model A pictured, as that is the big wooden plane at the front of the table. I also know he is using Aalto software with it to trigger the Buchla sounds from it.
    The big gray box to the side of the table is a Nagra looper (pictured here) and above the Soundplane are an Elektron Octatrack and a Teenage Engineering OP-1 which are also pictured in this rehearsal photo on instagram.
    This photo shows Trent clearly playing an Epiphone Les Paul custom guitar, with his Nord Electro keyboard and white tambourine beside him. He also has some form of electronic drum kit that is brought out for BBB but I have no photos of to correctly identify.
    This photo shows Atticus' table. One box, a Livid CNTRL:R White Edition MIDI controller.
    Here is a photo of Alessandro's bass. I don't know the maker.
    I think this is my best shot of the whole band in action. At least the clearest one from a gear perspective.
    Unfortunately, this is about the best I've got from Q's station. The Making How to Destroy Angels clip confirms that Mariqueen is using a Korg Kaoss Pad on her station, plus the white tambourine and several vocal mics with effects on them.
    Rob's station is a Livid CNTRL:R Black Edition MIDI control as pictured here.

The Coachella preview clip has a shot of someone's Ground Control pedal board at :27 in. Someone is using that on stage as well.

Last edited by Erik; 04-20-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i want one of these so badly... Madrona Labs Soundplane Model A

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My mind is blown by the fact they're using a Kinect to do some of the visuals. I am so jealous of you guys in the US
    edit: Erik, do you think they didn't use the Swarmatron live because of a) the difficulty of using it b) it could get damaged?
    Last edited by scorpiusdiamond; 04-20-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Alessandro Cortini: Bass Guitar, Madrona Labs Soundplane Model A, Teenage Engineering OP-1, Elektron Octatrack, Nagra Tape Looper, Vocals
    Atticus Ross: Livid CNTRL:R White Edition MIDI Controller, Vocals
    Mariqueen Reznor: KORG KAOSS Pad, Tambourine, Lead Vocals
    Trent Reznor: Epiphone Les Paul Custom Guitar, Nord Electro Keyboard, ??? Electronic Drum Kit, Tambourine, Vocals
    Rob Sheridan: Livid CNTRL:R Black Edition MIDI Controller, IPad Mini running Lemur, Vocals
    ???: Ground Control Pedal Board
    The band are all using Shure P10R wireless In-Ear monitors per this Instagram photo by Alessandro.

Evidence:

This
    is Alessandro's table setup for the tour. A Madrona Labs Soundplane Model A pictured, as that is the big wooden plane at the front of the table. I also know he is using Aalto software with it to trigger the Buchla sounds from it.
    The big gray box to the side of the table is a Nagra looper (pictured here) and above the Soundplane are an Elektron Octatrack and a Teenage Engineering OP-1 which are also pictured in this rehearsal photo on instagram.
    This photo shows Trent clearly playing an Epiphone Les Paul custom guitar, with his Nord Electro keyboard and white tambourine beside him. He also has some form of electronic drum kit that is brought out for BBB but I have no photos of to correctly identify.
    This photo shows Atticus' table. One box, a Livid CNTRL:R White Edition MIDI controller.
    Here is a photo of Alessandro's bass. I don't know the maker.
    I think this is my best shot of the whole band in action. At least the clearest one from a gear perspective.
    Unfortunately, this is about the best I've got from Q's station. The Making How to Destroy Angels clip confirms that Mariqueen is using a Korg Kaoss Pad on her station, plus the white tambourine and several vocal mics with effects on them.
    Rob's station is a Livid CNTRL:R Black Edition MIDI control as pictured here.

The Coachella preview clip has a shot of someone's Ground Control pedal board at :27 in. Someone is using that on stage as well.

Dude you are ridiculously cool
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    My mind is blown by the fact they're using a Kinect to do some of the visuals. I am so jealous of you guys in the US
    edit: Erik, do you think they didn't use the Swarmatron live because of a) the difficulty of using it b) it could get damaged?
    Kinect I guess has the tech they need at a good price - but it's weird for TR/RS to even go NEAR a windows product :P
    And I'd wager no swarmatron in case of damage (there's very few in existance after all), or because, as TR/Q and even Dewanatron themselves have said before, it's really, really hard to play - remember the teaser videos when they had to mark off where to play for each song? I bet they don't fancy having to try to figure out where to pull the thingy whilst twisting the thingy and pressing the thingy (technical terms) whilst surrounded by flashing lights in the darkness.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'd also gather that the swarmatron, like the Buchla, probably not very portable.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Man, after seeing the two shows this past week, the album/EPs have taken on a new spirit for me. I actually enjoy the music more now that I have seen it performed live. "Keep It Together" however is still a track I skip every single time.....

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Evidence:
    This photo shows Trent clearly playing an Epiphone Les Paul custom guitar, with his Nord Electro keyboard and white tambourine beside him.
    Yeah, that's not a Les Paul. Pretty sure it's a Sheraton II. Also, Alessandro's bass is a Fender Precision.
    Last edited by piggy; 04-21-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Trents looks like an Epiphone. A 339 maybe?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    According to his Twitter, he's also using a very new TB-303 clone.
    And here is a shot of Mariqueen's station.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Is this the first time Alessandro Cortini has played bass onstage since the 2006 NIN tour?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm not 100% sure, but think he also played bass on Get Down Make Love during 2006-07 tours

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfAtom View Post
    Trents looks like an Epiphone. A 339 maybe?
    My post was probably a little vague. I wasn't saying that it's not an Epiphone, just that the model of the Epiphone is Sheraton II rather than Les Paul.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    My post was probably a little vague. I wasn't saying that it's not an Epiphone, just that the model of the Epiphone is Sheraton II rather than Les Paul.
    oh, for some reason i read Gibson in the original post. was it edited?
    anyway yeah, right you are.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    ... just arrived in NYC
    need some sleep!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    You're in New York already? Why aren't you coming to the Boston show?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Can anyone tell me what time the shows have actually been starting and ending?

Trying to figure out if I can take public transportation into Boston on Saturday, or if it'll go late enough that I need to drive.