Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013.08.02 - Chicago, Illinois @ Lollapalooza

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The weather isn't going to be as hot this year

Attachment 286

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    that jerry better be wrong. i don't want umbrellas obstructing my view nor rain getting in my socks.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The weather isn't going to be as hot this year

Attachment 286

Awyyyyyyyyyy...

Fecking shit.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I'll look at that shit Thursday night- were it'll still be 50/50 if the weatherman is 20% correct.

Welcome to the Midwest.
    Last edited by Krazy; 07-29-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Of course being from Montreal I live in an igloo : I'm so glad it won't be too hot this year!
    But yeah, fuck umbrellas though.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I just don't want lightning.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

2013.08.2 - Chicago, Illinois @ Lollapalooza

Well at least it's not gonna be 95 like it USUALLY is here in August.

Attachment 287

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    That is the exact same weather as upstate NY right now.

I hope it doesn't happen like Wrigley with Pearl Jam 10 days ago (thunderstorms), show stopped for 2.5 hours, moved everyone off the field, then resumed and played till 2am (how they pulled that off in Chicago I don't know - curfew is 11pm).

I'd prefer no lightning, but the main thing I don't want is tornadoes....

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

^ Haha yeah that was interesting. (As detailed in the PJ thread here.)

Last year, they evacuated nearly 100,000 people but didn't tell them where to go and they were standing around on downtown Chicago streets during a huge storm. This year, signs with evacuation sites will be posted everywhere.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...orm-grant-park
    Last edited by allegro; 07-30-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

I'll be at the Steely Dan show at Ravinia on Friday night. Pavilion tickets.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

What if there was an evacuation? Do you think they will scan everyone out? It would be awful to not be able to get back in (that thing where you have to scan out if you want to go back in on the same day) esp since the main reason I'm there on Fri is NIN.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    What if there was an evacuation? Do you think they will scan everyone out? It would be awful to not be able to get back in (that thing where you have to scan out if you want to go back in on the same day) esp since the main reason I'm there on Fri is NIN.
    I don't know what they did last year, they did let people back in after it was all clear. But this storm isn't to hit until "late evening" so it depends on when it hits. After that "Sugarland tragedy," all of these shows are being super careful.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I read an article a couple days ago regarding the storm from last year. Main thing I got out of it is they have an updated plan should it happen again.

Kind of busy at the moment so if you want to look for it google "lollapalooza" and hit the "news" button.

We're also 3+ days away from it- I really wouldn't worry about what the forecast says until late Thursday or Friday morning. But yes- lightning would be the worst thing that can happen. They need to evacuate for that. (wouldn't worry about Chi-town getting tropical storms or tornadoes)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    We're also 3+ days away from it- I really wouldn't worry about what the forecast says until late Thursday or Friday morning. But yes- lightning would be the worst thing that can happen. They need to evacuate for that. (wouldn't worry about Chi-town getting tropical storms or tornadoes)
    We DO get tornadoes here. Even something close to a tornado brings high enough winds to be dangerous to tents and temporary stage structures. After all those people died from a collapsed stage from high winds in Indiana, nobody wants to take that chance again, the concert promoters and city are paranoid.

On the night of July 19th, the Phish show at Northerly Island, and Pitchfork over at Union Park (Bjork was on stage) were evacuated, as well as Pearl Jam over at Wrigley. Nobody was let back in for Phish or at Pitchfork. It was pretty late by the time the storm was done, then a 2nd storm hit. Pearl Jam actually waited until the 2nd storm passed, and went back on stage at midnight. That won't happen at Lolla, though.

I read an article a couple days ago regarding the storm from last year. Main thing I got out of it is they have an updated plan should it happen again.
    The promoters and the City swore they told everybody to go into the below-ground Grant Park lots last year (that was "the plan") but a lot of fest attendees said nobody told them what to do other than "get out." But this year signs will be all over (as referenced above) telling people, should there be an evacuation, to go to the Grant Park below-ground lots. So, if anything happens, you guys know where to go, don't stand around under an El track like these idiots:

Last edited by allegro; 07-30-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Fortunately it's only a 20-30% chance right now. And it's isolated Tstorms not scattered. Would definitely suck if they did evacuate before NIN though, since that's the main reason I'm there. Lolla is rain or shine but I guess they won't tolerate thunderstorms. Although Fuji fest clearly was thunderstorming and they just let them play.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    Although Fuji fest clearly was thunderstorming and they just let them play.
    Here in the midwest, this happened:

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Facepalming the incident... Nobody's fault... Just sad.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    sad.. Pukkelpop had a huge storm and a deathtoll in 2011..

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pukkelpop View Post
    sad.. Pukkelpop had a huge storm and a deathtoll in 2011..
    Yeah, 7 people died when that Indiana stage collapsed, ugh.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Same thing happened with the main stage at Ottawa Bluesfest in 2011. A bad storm came through and it collapsed. I think it's safe to say 2011 was a tragic year with 3 huge stages collapses within a span of 2 months.
    Last edited by ILoveFestivals; 07-30-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Im not the most superstitious person, but how bout we nix the talk of death and stage collapse within this thread?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Fair...let's just stay safe this Lollapalooza.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

No stage collapse will ever happen at Lolla. Because now they evacuate before the storm hits. As demonstrated last year.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Only for the "die-hard artery clogging" NIN fan:

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/lo...0,661187.story

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Only for the "die-hard artery clogging" NIN fan:

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/lo...0,661187.story
    Pulls up chair...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    No stage collapse will ever happen at Lolla. Because now they evacuate before the storm hits. As demonstrated last year.
    It kind of sucks that this is the new practice. In 2011 when there were torrential downpours several times on the Sunday nothing was evacuated. All the weather did was make it even more enjoyable and add to the experience. Foo Fighters and Cage the Elephant killed it, all while getting soaked and rocking the fuck out like all us fans!

Here are a few great videos from the Foo Fighters set that night. All professional footage. Please note it is not naturally dark at the time of day these songs were performed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

This is Foo Fighters' entire set at Lollapaooza 2011. Scroll to minute mark 37.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveFestivals View Post
    It kind of sucks that this is the new practice. In 2011 when there were torrential downpours several times on the Sunday nothing was evacuated. All the weather did was make it even more enjoyable and add to the experience. Foo Fighters and Cage the Elephant killed it, all while getting soaked and rocking the fuck out like all us fans!
    I hear ya. We were at this show and my husband refused to leave, and I thought we were gonna DIE. We were in the pavilion, standing on our chairs. My husband now counts that as one of the best shows in his whole life. Meanwhile, I saw 7 songs at the Wrigley Field Pearl Jam show and hung around for hours and finally gave up. The times, they is a changin' dude. Nobody wants that danger with big winds and lightning and shit. Well, it's mostly about lawsuits, actually.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-30-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbookpress1984 View Post
    Im not the most superstitious person, but how bout we nix the talk of death and stage collapse within this thread?
    Talk about how they are going to webcast NIN on friday? So it will be awesome to re watch their set over and over?

and I bet you it rains sunday, so The Cure will have Robert Smith with running make up.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    sure that works.