Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Patton

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Kind of torn.

On one hand, I would love to see FNM.
    On the other hand, discussions with some of his former crew have led me to not want to give any of my money to the head honcho.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Kind of torn.

On one hand, I would love to see FNM.
    On the other hand, discussions with some of his former crew have led me to not want to give any of my money to the head honcho.
    Did they think Patton was an asshole?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I decided to take a pass.

Nostalgia trips are nostalgia trips.

Oh, I'll check out the album - even if Motherfucker was just ugh.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    No love for King For A Day? It's my personal favorite. I think I probably sing/scream those songs when I sleep.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    ^ Lots of love!, "King for a Day..." is my favorite FNM album along with "Angel Dust".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

🙌
    That cover is so ridiculously over the top, it's wonderful.
    Last edited by profane; 02-10-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: I came.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by profane View Post

That cover is so ridiculously over the top, it's wonderful.
    I wouldn't be completely sure that that's cover. I'd guess it's a promo picture, hence the date next to the album name. Although I like the photo, it'd be very unlike them to have a band photo be the cover of the album.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Sol Invictus...is already a band.

Le sigh.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Sol Invictus...is already a band.
    Le sigh.
    it's also the name of an ancient roman sun god, so what's the problem?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    ^So weird, that band logo looks so similar to Rollins Band one, lol...

I hope that won't be the album cover, i like the photo as a promo but they need an image for their album cover...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it's also the name of an ancient roman sun god, so what's the problem?
    and a slip knot is a type of knot.
    I dunno, seeing that title, with occult-y symbols made me groan.
    Hard to believe none of them is aware of Sol Invictus (the band).

Also Latin titles...bah.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 02-10-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    "Hypnotic and gothic, we're coming back to where we were with our first album," "Then Patton's being Patton, crooning, screaming, with a bit of soul underneath it all. We've always taken strange influences and smashed them together!"
    Those are the words of Billy Gould describing 'Sol Invictus' the ten track new album from Faith No More, to be released on May 18th in the UK and Europe and May 19th in North America.

Track Listing:
    1. "Sol Invictus"
    2. "Superhero"
    3. "Sunny Side Up"
    4. "Separation Anxiety"
    5. "Cone of Shame"
    6. "Rise of the Fall"
    7. "Black Friday"
    8. "Motherfucker"
    9. "Matador"
    10. "From the Dead"
    Last edited by profane; 02-10-2015 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Balls deep in Mike's mouth.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    And Nine Inch Nails is what killed Jesus!!!11111

Anyhow, seems intruiging but wasn't the album supposed to be called Superhero or am I mixing things up?

I'm also with @aggroculture on this one. This is a reunion I am not really buying into and I'd skip most likely aswell if it was a proper tour around here. On the other hand it's Patton doing some actual singing which I quite enjoy and Tomahawk (my favorite project of his) didn't come here and Peeping Tom seems no more, so there is a reason for me to see it. They are coming to a festival here though so I'll have the chance.

I don't have much hope for this album and didn't like what I heard so far. Yet something pretty cool could come out of this. Let's see!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ^ Superhero is their next single.

I really don't believe they're just going to piss over their legacy by dropping a piece of shit album. I firmly believe we'll receive a most exquisite kick in the nuts.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Don't get me wrong I will buy this album the day it comes out and most likely enjoy it a lot.
    I'm just being the hypercritical fan of one of my favourite bands, not wanting them to deliver anything sub-par but fearful that that may happen in spite of their intentions.
    I have, ahem, faith that "Sol Invictus" will satisfy and put a massive smile on my face when I hear it. But I am also realistic enough to know that it is virtually impossible to come back after 15+ years at the same level - hell, even AOTY was something of a drop in quality as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I get you and it's probably a better approach to prepare for the possibility of disappointment and such. And I also get what you're saying about AOTY, I like it but it's a little too polished.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I thought AOTY was head and shoulders above KFAD. I think SI will be fine otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. Bitching that the title is the name of another band seems like you want to hate it. Grasping at straws, if you will. Let's hear the thing before we hate it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Soundgarden's King Animal is their worst album yet I'm still thrilled they're back together and that the album exists. Despite its lesser quality, it doesn't make their previous albums redundant. You only live once, make some more fucking Faith No More songs! I'll always have Angel Dust...

Bring on Sol Invictus!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I'm curious as to what their explanation about the title is going to be: my guess, reading the wiki page about Sol Invictus, is that it's going to be some kind of critique of US imperialism coming from Billy...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    ^Well, FNM is Billy's band in the end...

Personally i can't wait for the album, i've liked the two singles so far (for what they are: singles...), i'm not expecting another "Angel Dust", but i think even a "bad" FNM album is more welcome than an album from almost any other band, i agree with Madmya's Soundgarden comparison.
    I hope the band comes back to my town, can't wait to watch them for a third time...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-11-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I agree, I always prefer for a band to be active and put out stuff rather than not.
    Helmet, Carcass, Prong, Korn, etc: the latter/comeback output rarely matches their peak stuff, but I'd still rather have it, and there are often gems to be found
    (Helmet's Size Matters being an exception: it's humungous as a whole)

That said, until I see a good explanation for Sol Invictus as the title, it sits ill with me. Can't believe Billy or Mike have never heard of Sol Invictus the band.
    If they'd called the album "Nine Inch Nails" I'm sure plenty of you would be "bitching" too.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I agree, I always prefer for a band to be active and put out stuff rather than not.
    Helmet, Carcass, Prong, Korn, etc: the latter/comeback output rarely matches their peak stuff, but I'd still rather have it, and there are often gems to be found
    (Helmet's Size Matters being an exception: it's humungous as a whole)

That said, until I see a good explanation for Sol Invictus as the title, it sits ill with me. Can't believe Billy or Mike have never heard of Sol Invictus the band.
    If they'd called the album "Nine Inch Nails" I'm sure plenty of you would be "bitching" too.
    With respect to Korn: I'd rather have them shut up. Past Issues, everything they've done is disposable, and to my eyes they ruined their early reputation. Witth FNM, you're dealing with Mike Patton and he wouldn't put out crap. They are going to deliver.

I'd bet FNM is aware of that band (Sol Invictus). I would assume that when you are looking for the name of an album title, someone in the legal department of the band has to make sure the album title is not infringing some type of copyright (with the exception of Melvins' Lysol). Like someone else said, Sol Invictus is the name of the Roman sun god as well, so I think your point is mute. I actually think it's a good album title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think I've been more exicted for an album since Hesitiation Marks.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Interesting article about the new album, from the looks of it i'll say they are going with the Album of the Year direction...

Also, new song performed: "Cone of Shame"

Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-18-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Note to self:
    Be sure to carry clean boxers for when shit's about to get real.

Journalists tweeting.
    Last edited by profane; 02-24-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They just debuted the studio version of Superhero on the Radio 1 Rock Show, its just as good as it is live.
    EDIT: Its up on the Marvel website. Someone has an FNM fanboy as a staff member.
    http://marvel.com/news/comics/24157/...hero_to_marvel
    Last edited by UnjollyIrishman; 03-01-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm wondering if Superhero is going to make it onto the Avengers soundtrack given this new Marvel connection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    I'm wondering if Superhero is going to make it onto the Avengers soundtrack given this new Marvel connection.
    Yes fucking please.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This is all sounding real good. It's really looking like they are going to serve the legacy well. I have been re listening to Matador and that song is so epic.

Is it just me or do the double tracked vocals on Superhero sound kinda weird?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    So, this is the album cover, can't say i'm surprised, it's so "Faith No More"