Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast

Thread: General Police Misconduct aka Murdering Black People

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    really awesome stuff.
    hearing your view on that is the reason I first came to this thread tonight
    Yeah, well, tell that to my pissed off husband who thinks I work for the Man oppressing the People LOL

ATTICA! ATTICA!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    your husband sounds hilariously awesome.
    Yeah, well, thanks. I think he's gonna make me use this as our Christmas card this year

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    DO IT!!!
    If you want some heavy discounts to one of the big custom card places, PM me. I have hookups there that I can totally share.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    DO IT!!!
    If you want some heavy discounts to one of the big custom card places, PM me. I have hookups there that I can totally share.
    Gee thanks, LOL. (edit: this could actually be pretty funny)

What are your thoughts on the Wilson transcript re my notes?
    Last edited by allegro; 11-25-2014 at 01:11 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    at least the protests in Los Angeles have been peaceful. It's a strange concern, but this is not the weather out here for setting any fires. We're in the middle of a record drought, and we have high winds and it's dry as hell out tonight.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Gee thanks, LOL. (edit: this could actually be pretty funny)

What are your thoughts on the Wilson transcript re my notes?
    It's fucking long, and I don't have much to compare it to. It's really hard to make judgements on it because many of the actions described have a set of rules and laws that indicate how a cop should engage someone in the situation at that moment, when to disengage, when to escalate force, etc. Without actually knowing any of that, everything I have read (if true) seems reasonable. There will be plenty of "well he could have done it this way instead" people, but that's not always within the scope of legal judgement.

I'm honestly looking forward to it being examined by others. I'm sure there will be dozens of sites combing through it to try and push their rhetoric, but they will all provide interesting angles that I wouldn't have come to.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Well, and all legal experts agree that the situation is "in the heat of the moment" and they go through training and he describes some of that training (the "triangle" etc.) but the leeway is given to the cop, not the other guy, especially when it comes to grand juries. But they really did grill this guy. It appears that, from this transcript, Brown was the initial aggressor, which is important to a grand jury. It puts the cop in the "defense" mode. But his call for backup didn't seem urgent enough; on the other hand, he was wrestling Brown with the "Hulk Grip" while calling for backup, so I guess he didn't have a lot of time, LOL.

I'm interested in seeing the transcripts of some of the other witness testimony in this Wilson case.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-25-2014 at 01:45 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    at least the protests in Los Angeles have been peaceful. It's a strange concern, but this is not the weather out here for setting any fires. We're in the middle of a record drought, and we have high winds and it's dry as hell out tonight.
    Sounds like that may be the minority. Most of the other protests are getting a bit rowdy. Lots of pepper spray and arrests. Oakland has a bunch of fires being started (luckily all in the middle of the road for now). None of it is anywhere close to Ferguson, but still.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    @allegro - definitely. I kept myself out of the bulk of the details on the case beyond the initial week or so after it happened. In terms of guilt, I felt it was 50/50 (just too many unknowns prior to today) even though I figured the actual indictment chance was lower (due to corrupt bullshit). After tonight, I feel that justice was most likely served in the scope of the Grand Jury verdict. Now, if the DOJ investigation doesn't turn up anything with their investigation... that is going to probably be some serious bullshit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Now, if the DOJ investigation doesn't turn up anything with their investigation... that is going to probably be some serious bullshit.
    Definitely. The department, particularly this chief, handled this wrong, procedurally, on a shitload of levels. They need to be slapped down and somebody needs to send that chief to the retirement zone.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    And if the protests turn violent, people will just burn down all the non-white owned businesses like last time. And the time before that.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 11-25-2014 at 02:20 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I haven't followed much of this in the news (very little coverage here in Brazil too), and I was looking at Rob Sheridan's timeline/replies. Holy shit.

So, basically: might've been racism; probably was racism anyway; court found no way to actually prove racism?

Internet's reaction: burn that shit down; if you complain about burning shit down, you're racist; put that cop in jail regardless of evidence?

One of the first things I learned studying Law is that it's always preferable to let a probably guilty person go than to put a perhaps innocent one in jail. And that's a really basic concept - not everyone agrees with it, of course, some people think there should be more indictments altogether. I won't pretend to know the details of the case, but from what I've read in the last few minutes, there was just no way they could justify a proper jail sentence on the guy, even if people "know" what really happened. As fucked up as it is, it's a system that has probably kept more innocent people out of jail than inside it.
    Last edited by FernandoDante; 11-25-2014 at 04:40 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    So, my basic understanding of this issue is that black people in america are x times more likely to be put in jail for the same crime than white people, black people are x times more likely to get shot by the police than white people, BUT the shooting in Ferguson was wrong case to start a riot about, because the guy actually tried to get a hold of weapon of officer who shot him and he charged at him before he killed him?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    There are so many parallels between this and the riots in England in 2011
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_...of_Mark_Duggan

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    There are so many parallels between this and the riots in England in 2011
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_...of_Mark_Duggan
    Thats what I thought. Loads of buildings were burnt down in London 2011 riots too.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    So, my basic understanding of this issue is that black people in america are x times more likely to be put in jail for the same crime than white people, black people are x times more likely to get shot by the police than white people, BUT the shooting in Ferguson was wrong case to start a riot about, because the guy actually tried to get a hold of weapon of officer who shot him and he charged at him before he killed him?
    A violent criminal like Brown is the opposite type of person who you want to be a poster child for police brutality and racism by police.

EDIT: Interesting sign from one of the protesters last night. Its one of those signs that can be used by both teams.

Last edited by tony.parente; 11-25-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    So the medical examiner didn't take photos of Brown's body because their camera battery was dead?!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    To clarify some things, I have no respect for a murderer. It would be no different than saying I hope justice catches up with Zimmerman or even Casey Anthony...you know, people who got away with murder.
    Now granted, in this case, the right thing can still happen. I hope it does. I don't understand how burning down your city helps things at all. And looting is a minority of morons being opportunistic. It also doesn't help.
    Last edited by Swykk; 11-25-2014 at 07:26 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    A violent criminal like Brown is the opposite type of person who you want to be a poster child for police brutality and racism by police.

EDIT: Interesting sign from one of the protesters last night. Its one of those signs that can be used by both teams.

How has the police side had no justice?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    To clarify some things, I have no respect for a murderer. It would be no different than saying I hope justice catches up with Zimmerman or even Casey Anthony...you know, people who got away with murder.
    Now granted, in this case, the right thing can still happen. I hope it does. I don't understand how burning down your city helps things at all. And looting is a minority of morons being opportunistic. It also doesn't help.
    Why can't you understand that murder and justifiable homicide are different things....

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    How has the police side had no justice?
    I meant as a sarcastic jab at the annual poster child of whatever is a hot button that year that always happens.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    The systemic slaughtering of young black men is not a "hot button of the year".

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Yes it is.....Plenty of young white men get shot by police each year. It just isn't deemed news worthy because white people wont burn their town down once the police officer isn't indicted.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    LOL

ten characters

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    No, it is not. This has been happening throughout our entire history. It isn't a problem for this year. It is an ongoing problem that has no end in sight.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    No, it is not. This has been happening throughout our entire history. It isn't a problem for this year. It is an ongoing problem that has no end in sight.
    Violent criminals getting killed by police is not a problem.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    People who say shit like that are the problem.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    So I crashed early last night.
    I haven't looked at all the evidence yet but I am seeing a trend here.

Zimmerman claimed he was being beaten to a pulp. If I recall correctly, his injuries were relatively minor.

In this case, we have Wilson stating he feared Brown would beat him to death. "I felt that another of those punches in my face could knock me out or worse ... I've already taken two to the face and I didn't think I would, the third one could be fatal if he hit me right,"
    Sure sounds like he was getting hammered by Brock Lesnar or something. Then you look at the pictures and the injuries are superficial at best.
    Each beating story sounds like embellishment to justify the use of deadly force. It's the easiest lie to tell and it obviously cannot be refute.

However, in this case, it may be irrelevant since Brown allegedly try to reach for Wilson's gun. Then again, this is according to the person who committed the shooting. Did anyone else see Brown trying to reach for Wilson's gun? No.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Did anyone else see Brown trying to reach for Wilson's gun? No.
    Forensic science did.

But that's just science, who needs facts amirite?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Forensic science did.

But that's just science, who needs facts amirite?
    Science is racist brah!